Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

So sotg was just reiterating poo poo from last week with the only new info being that they are aware of newly introduced bugs with no time table for fixing anything... I haven't really paid attention in the past, is this par for the course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I just hit 40 but haven't beaten all of the NYC missions yet. What should I be doing in terms of specializations? I don't really understand how these work or which ones are good.

e: and how do I even unlock anything other than demolitionist?

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 18, 2020

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Bold Robot posted:

I just hit 40 but haven't beaten all of the NYC missions yet. What should I be doing in terms of specializations? I don't really understand how these work or which ones are good.

They're all good, but some are a lot more specialized than others.

Gunner is an excellent choice for all purpose dps, solid all around with a light focus on lmg's. Marksman is another basic dps focused spec with a heavy focus on long range weapons

Technician is a generic skill focused spec that can be used on any kind of skill build for dps or utility, the artificer hive is especially strong with the shield. Demolitionist is an excellent choice for skill dps build with the very powerful mortar turret and 15% explosives damage.

Survivalist and Firewall are both status effect focused builds with firewall being focused specifically on fire and the shield and survivalist being focused on general status effects and also healing if that's something that interests you.

Every spec has the same weapon damage tree available so the choice isn't as important as it used to be, feel free to experiment a bit. Gunner is probably the best all around spec with demolitionist in a close second, but every spec is good so just pick the one that sounds fun.

E:to unlock the other 3 specs, you have to either buy the year 1 pass or start the field research for the spec in the specialization menu and complete all 5 tiers of it, which is a longish grind, but isn't too terribly difficult and gives some really good rewards.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 18, 2020

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks, that's all super useful. This feels like a dumb question, but how do I start the field research for a spec I haven't unlocked? I'm at the specialization desk and it says "press G to get started" and "field research available," but "activate" and "view field research" are grayed out for the specs I don't have unlocked yet. Somehow I have Demolitionist, Survivalist, and Sharpshooter unlocked with a bunch of points available, but not the others.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks, that's all super useful. This feels like a dumb question, but how do I start the field research for a spec I haven't unlocked? I'm at the specialization desk and it says "press G to get started" and "field research available," but "activate" and "view field research" are grayed out for the specs I don't have unlocked yet. Somehow I have Demolitionist, Survivalist, and Sharpshooter unlocked with a bunch of points available, but not the others.
Demolitionist, Survivalist, and Sharpshooter are all unlocked if you bought the expansion or year 1 pass, and if you have the expansion and boosted to level 30 they should have all their 165 points already.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm a scrub who's still on World Tier 1 but the Demolitionist's mortar turret with +6 skill is really fun for me. I've gone through entire encounters in missions solo without shooting or getting hit and everyone still dies. I've had to swap out to a normal turret whenever a heavy armour hammer bro shows up though because I'm not convinced the mortars actually damage them. A normal turret placed on a crate or something they have to climb to reach will kill them before they kick it over though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The mortar definitely damages them but I think the damage is split between their armor plates or something, so it takes a lot of shots. It does stagger them pretty reliably though so if you leave them to last you can whittle them down. Using the grenade launcher or an LMG (especially the with Sadist, since the mortar applies bleed) while you pound them with mortars speeds things up some.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm liking the tamper proof chest talent to keep tanks off my turrets and hives. The mortar definitely does damage to them, it just takes a bunch to break through the armor. The mortar turret is a solid choice since it remains viable and strong all the way up to endgame heroics and is also very simple to get a basic optimized build going for if you just run 4 piece hardwired with skill damage and 1 piece each of china light and wyvern with some good skill damage talents.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Frustrated posted:

So sotg was just reiterating poo poo from last week with the only new info being that they are aware of newly introduced bugs with no time table for fixing anything... I haven't really paid attention in the past, is this par for the course?

Since WoNY release? Pretty much. Everything was broken from day one and every patch introduces even more bugs, so I'd imagine the team having to sort through this mess has to make some pretty hard calls between continuing the work on fixing X or abandoning it because Y just happened. Lots of stuff will remain broken forever. Repeating it is a way of stating that they haven't forgotten, and want to fix it, but just haven't had the time to work on it yet. Developers only have so many hours in the day and almost all of that time is already allocated to frantically patching anything involving players having fun.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Time to get killed is officially hosed, and 4 player challenge is even more hosed. 4 player challenge is harder than 2 player heroic.

Just in time for the league to kick off. :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ttk is good.......

....for the Classic M1A :getin:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Time to get killed is officially hosed, and 4 player challenge is even more hosed. 4 player challenge is harder than 2 player heroic.

Just in time for the league to kick off. :(

4 player challenge is doable. Get a group that’s af least half decent and knock the challenges out. I’ve gotten one at lvl 10, one at 9, and one at 8 all with pubbies.

The big check is that you need to either be able to DPS well (300m+ across a mission) or be able to tank and draw aggro like a champ. I’ve run with DPS heavy builds that worked and shield tank builds that let the rest of us slaughter with impunity.

The all red DPS rifle build discussed last page is pretty easy to put together and can do 4 man challenging well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dandywalken posted:

Ttk is good.......

....for the Classic M1A :getin:

The one gun (other than exotics) that I have never once seen.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I apparently still have a bunch of weapon mods I haven't unlocked for crafting, when the game came out I unlocked everything but I guess there is a ton of hidden poo poo? How do we get those now with this expansion?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Locator posted:

The named one is the lvl 57 reward for the season.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The named one is the lvl 57 reward for the season.

Have a ways to go for that since I haven't been playing much after killing Neptune, but I'll have to try to grind my way to that I suppose. Thanks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

On the way you’ll also get a mask that is loving killer for that build.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
They're rare but you can farm targeted loot areas for rifles and find ones with other talents besides Perfect Lucky Shot.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just got my first rogue agent encounter on a heroic mission. gently caress that poo poo, we got absolutely destroyed. It's basically a "you lose, try again dumbass" random event, but gently caress if it isn't some of the most fun you'll have in the game when it happens.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Hakarne posted:

So I tweaked this a bit and went balls-out offense. I realized Baker's Dozen needs cover to get ammo back so I swapped it for a regular Classic M1A with Boomerang. Then I just went pure offense with Coyote's Mask and stacked offensive sets - the only Armor on Kill I have is from Gunner. And I also realized I forgot to put points in the +dmg for rifles perk in Gunner so that gave me an extra 15% dmg lmao

Here's a sub-7 Minute CP4 Solo so you can see how it plays. I screwed up a few times and the shield saved my rear end. It just absolutely shits damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltURQjMKSNM

Since we're on the topic of Rifle builds... I made a discovery that I don't think is on the youtubes yet. I had an adjustable zoom scope and noticed that you couldn't zoom in when you had your shield out. Curious, I switched over to Sharpshooter spec and placed that beefy +45% Headshot damage scope on my Classic M1A and if you're using your shield it won't make you zoom in!.

So that rifle build? Yeah, add another 45% headshot damage on top of it :getin:. My tests were... encouraging. My boomerang crits were north of 4.5mil with sustained DPS of 14.5 to 15 mil on the target. And I'm not even 100% optimized with my gear yet.

This also gives you a lot of flexibility - you can hang back and snipe from cover, or pop your shield for CQC. It's fun, it's powerful, and something tells me they're going to nerf it :(.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hakarne posted:

Since we're on the topic of Rifle builds... I made a discovery that I don't think is on the youtubes yet. I had an adjustable zoom scope and noticed that you couldn't zoom in when you had your shield out. Curious, I switched over to Sharpshooter spec and placed that beefy +45% Headshot damage scope on my Classic M1A and if you're using your shield it won't make you zoom in!.

So that rifle build? Yeah, add another 45% headshot damage on top of it :getin:. My tests were... encouraging. My boomerang crits were north of 4.5mil with sustained DPS of 14.5 to 15 mil on the target. And I'm not even 100% optimized with my gear yet.

This also gives you a lot of flexibility - you can hang back and snipe from cover, or pop your shield for CQC. It's fun, it's powerful, and something tells me they're going to nerf it :(.

Not to be a killjoy but this is actually very well known :v: You can also combine it with the Focus talent on chests which gives you up to 50% weapon damage if you stay zoomed in (but not actually zoomed in because you're using a shield).

BadLlama posted:

I apparently still have a bunch of weapon mods I haven't unlocked for crafting, when the game came out I unlocked everything but I guess there is a ton of hidden poo poo? How do we get those now with this expansion?

Those blueprints have been in the game for a while. There used to be a daily project (or maybe there still is in WT5?) where you donate some crafting materials and you got a blueprint. Now in post-New York world you can only get those blueprints through the weekly project and by capturing level 3 or 4 Control Points. But since there isn't a way to reliably get control points to flip back red that's a limited resource at the moment (it'll get fixed at some point).

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 19, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hakarne posted:

It's fun, it's powerful, and something tells me they're going to nerf it :(.

According to the junk that pops up in my youtube feed a rifle and mmr nerf is incoming according to the last sotg. Nerf now, maybe consider adjusting why people need this bullshit later.

Edit:

Kibayasu posted:

But since there isn't a way to reliably get control points to flip back red that's a limited resource at the moment (it'll get fixed at some point).

I used my 30 booster on three other guys and kept them out of NYC. Long after my main guy had finished NYC and locked himself out of the dailies, the three other characters could do the old SHD daily turn-ins until I ran out of blueprints from that. Then I burned CP3s until I got the dozen or so you apparently can't get from the dailies. I'm all done with non-raid/exotic bps now because of it.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 19, 2020

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

The Locator posted:

Well you're in luck, a DZ vendor has it. I believe it was the DZ West vendor.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Kibayasu posted:

Not to be a killjoy but this is actually very well known :v: You can also combine it with the Focus talent on chests which gives you up to 50% weapon damage if you stay zoomed in (but not actually zoomed in because you're using a shield).

:monocle: I had not seen that anywhere, although I don't browse build videos for this that much I guess. Oh well, maybe someone else didn't know and now they do!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Keep an eye out for that new camo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIYK97j2xGY

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Mailer posted:

According to the junk that pops up in my youtube feed a rifle and mmr nerf is incoming according to the last sotg. Nerf now, maybe consider adjusting why people need this bullshit later.

gently caress sake. Buff up, never nerf down. Why are devs seemingly incapable of figuring this out?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

gently caress sake. Buff up, never nerf down. Why are devs seemingly incapable of figuring this out?

Because 'pvp balance' or some such poo poo

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

There is a mindset, largely lost over the years but very much a thing in the Everquest era of MMOs, that somehow players getting a thing subtracts from their playing time. This makes people having fun detrimental to your long-term success in some sort of imaginary zero sum system. The concept that if you make something incredibly painful, or even functionally impossible to attain for some people (requiring preform groups, requiring thousands of hours of grinding, etc), then everyone will just keep playing longer without the cost of creating more content.

It's 2020 and most devs have figured out if they make poo poo then people will quit and proceed to tell everyone else how poo poo it is, and the reverse is true if it's fun. Massive is unique, afaik, in that they seem to need to learn this lesson multiple times because the entire company is staffed by the guy from Memento.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Damage numbers are so high now that they bug out, wrap around and display negatives, so I can see why they would want to scale back the numbers game some. Rocket tag sucks.

edit: Of course, if the enemies stay as they are, they get to keep their rockets but nerfing will take away yours, so rebalancing across the board is always better than giving things the mallet one or two at a time.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 19, 2020

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Damage numbers are so high now that they bug out, wrap around and display negatives, so I can see why they would want to scale back the numbers game some. Rocket tag sucks.

edit: Of course, if the enemies stay as they are, they get to keep their rockets but nerfing will take away yours, so rebalancing across the board is always better than giving things the mallet one or two at a time.

If they brought down enemy hp and damage in challenging, heroic, and legendary, nerfed rifles, mmrs, and lmgs (slightly) and fixed the sets and the skill bugs then the game could end up in a good place. Unfortunately I do not trust them to do this and fully expect rifles to get nerfed forcing everyone back onto lmgs for hard content.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:hai: They have a storied history of taking half measures with balancing so I don't blame you.

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004
Is the striker set still bugged? And have they talked about a fix? Tried it at the shooting range last night and I'm unable to build stacks.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I’m just getting back into Div 2 after a long while off, if all my gear is ~500, should I be just melting down all my gear and making number go up?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
If you have the expansion: Keep what you'd like until level 40, especially weapon/armor mods, and THEN start focusing on melting.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Was grinding towards the level 57 season Bakers Dozen, when this guy popped out of a random season gear cache.

Why, when you select the health damage to recalibrate, does it show the crit damage? It terrifies me into thinking I'm replacing the crit damage roll

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEF7MTGMI0

Am I missing something or did they break (Perfect) Lucky Shot with the last maintenance?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Seditiar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEF7MTGMI0

Am I missing something or did they break (Perfect) Lucky Shot with the last maintenance?

Don't you have to be behind cover for Lucky Shot to work? It looked like you were just standing there

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Sipher posted:

Was grinding towards the level 57 season Bakers Dozen, when this guy popped out of a random season gear cache.

Why, when you select the health damage to recalibrate, does it show the crit damage? It terrifies me into thinking I'm replacing the crit damage roll

It's a UI bug

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I just tried mine and it works fine :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yes that's why it's just a UI bug. Recalibration works fine it only show the wrong stat.