Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

RIP Syndrome posted:

I had to skip about 2000 posts so maybe this already came up, but --

https://twitter.com/RebeccaforWA/status/1240348694043488256

This is a crock of poo poo. The things he's doing are bare minimum temporary measures to try to prevent the economy from collapsing. There are no structural changes and everyone'll have to pay up later.

And yet it will still be more than Obama ever even contemplated doing.

It seriously cannot be stressed enough how utterly, utterly poo poo the democrats have been for the past several decades. The economy is now collapsing in large part because it was never really repaired after 2008. Corona is widespread because the ACA was a loving disaster that existed to benefit the health insurance industry. The republicans are bad, sure, but the democrats excel at choosing to gently caress americans for the benefit of business at every junction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

How long do you think until Tom Perez realizes it's 'on sight' for him?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

2reachmu posted:

How long do you think until Tom Perez realizes it's 'on sight' for him?

whenever Meghan McCain retweets him that eli valley comic

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

RIP Syndrome posted:

I had to skip about 2000 posts so maybe this already came up, but --

https://twitter.com/RebeccaforWA/status/1240348694043488256

This is a crock of poo poo. The things he's doing are bare minimum temporary measures to try to prevent the economy from collapsing. There are no structural changes and everyone'll have to pay up later.

Yeah he should totally be following The Obama Doctrine.

1) Total protection for Bankers, Creditors, Debt Collectors, and Wall Street Gamblers.
2) Accelerated court systems to process illegal lien-less foreclosures as fast as possible.
3) gently caress you.

This is not a defense of Trump.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
https://twitter.com/hilaryagro/status/1240304025548906496

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
lol 2016dottxt

quote:

Jesus Clinton was not a great candidate if it was this loving close.

quote:

Just now figuring that out?

quote:

Not really I supported bernie from the get go.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

quote:

Punishment Reason: Sanders isn't running for President anymore. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

lol 2016dottxt

Was that a logik probation?

Retro-ban logik.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A big flaming stink posted:

if any comrades experience an erection for longer than 5 hours please seek medical attention

wait gently caress

https://twitter.com/10rdBeen/status/1240506811758698498

Marx will be vindicated in entirety by the far future

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Democrats have completely alienated anyone under 40 and have condemned 8-15% of their most ardent supporters to die from a pandemic. It's a bold strategy (Tom) Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

FRINGE posted:

Yeah he should totally be following The Obama Doctrine.

1) Total protection for Bankers, Creditors, Debt Collectors, and Wall Street Gamblers.
2) Accelerated court systems to process illegal lien-less foreclosures as fast as possible.
3) gently caress you.

This is not a defense of Trump.

Nor was my post a defense of Obama, friend :)

It's just, Trump being associated with the left is going to be a mixed bag, especially since these moves are motivated by survival and not ideology. Also with hindsight my comment was more cranky than warranted

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
in these chaotic days, it's good to see fred kaplan still succs poo poo:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/03/sanders-drop-out-primary-coronavirus.html

It was already past time for Sen. Bernie Sanders to drop out of the race for president, but now he can say he’s doing it to save hundreds, possibly thousands, of lives.

Two dozen Democratic primaries remain before the July convention (if there is an actual convention). Each of them will violate the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines against gatherings of more than 10 people in a confined public space. If Sanders withdraws, rendering those primaries moot, he will prevent the coronavirus from spreading across thousands of precinct stations and their surrounding neighborhoods nationwide.

Sanders could thus turn an admission of defeat into a noble stance of self-sacrifice for the health of the nation.

It would be one thing if Sanders still had a plausible path to the nomination. But Joe Biden’s margin of delegates is all but insurmountably wide, and the primaries that remain—in such states as Pennsylvania, Delaware, Ohio, Maryland, New York, and New Jersey—will only widen that lead.

Dropping out now, instead of waiting to suffer the calamity of more double-digit losses, would also allow Sanders to retain some dignity—and, more to the point, political leverage. In exchange for his early concession, he could ask for a half-hour of prime time at the convention (again, if there is one), a few planks on the party platform, a Cabinet slot if he wants one, or an important committee chairmanship if the Democrats retake the Senate.

Biden’s recent endorsement of Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s plan for a new bankruptcy law (which goes against the one that he helped pass several years ago) was a sign of his pliability. It’s also one of several gestures that he’s been making to bring the party’s left wing back into its orbit. If Sanders moves quickly, he could make it more likely that he, and not Warren, would be treated as the leader and arbiter for that wing.

The contest for the Democratic nomination is essentially over. Sanders can growl and scowl and keep talking about things that Biden voted for or against 25 years ago, and thus delay—possibly block—the unification of the party, accomplishing nothing except boosting the chances of Donald Trump’s reelection and endangering public health.
Or he can smile, stand side by side with Biden, and emerge as a powerful mensch.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

isn't mensch a jewish term

i guess i shouldn't be surprised that libs are stealing language from not just black people

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
also LMAO this idiot thinks that the left will ever see warren as their leader

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

genericnick posted:

No media and events honestly help Biden a lot.

this strategy will be considerably less effective when his opposition is holding rallies for the sole purpose of calling him a shithead

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Some Guy TT posted:

this strategy will be considerably less effective when his opposition is holding rallies for the sole purpose of calling him a shithead

joe biden's handlers are playing a 4D chess game by tricking trump into killing all his old voters by holding constant rallies while biden hides and does nothing (because he is senile and weak)

unfortunately for them tom perez is a moron and made sure that the dems have a headstart in the "who will lose all their olds first" race, but the conservative olds might catch up because at least half of them and probably more still think that the virus is a hoax

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

RIP Syndrome posted:

It's just, Trump being associated with the left is going to be a mixed bag, especially since these moves are motivated by survival and not ideology. Also with hindsight my comment was more cranky than warranted

No doubt, but its a better cattle prod to get more of the public to shift left than anything the murderous corporate dems* are going to manage.

*which is not excusing the murderous corporate republicans, but they arent worth discussing (and ironically are easier to push around)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

A bit late but lol, someone in the bad thread arguing that "giving poor people money free of charge instead of policing them to hell and back is libertarianism because it means you don't trust the government". As if doing exactly that isn't a widespread common sense policy if you're a social-democrat. No, bureaucracy is automatically left-wing and the more social control there is the leftier it is.

lenin was right about the bureaucrats

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RottenK posted:

joe biden's handlers are playing a 4D chess game by tricking trump into killing all his old voters by holding constant rallies while biden hides and does nothing (because he is senile and weak)

unfortunately for them tom perez is a moron and made sure that the dems have a headstart in the "who will lose all their olds first" race, but the conservative olds might catch up because at least half of them and probably more still think that the virus is a hoax

The republicans have had record turnouts at their non-contested primaries, so I don't know if the dems have a head start.

Edit: And i should add, those reports of retirement communities throwing "Corona parties", were from republican strongholds.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 14:11 on Mar 19, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

lol 2016dottxt

gently caress

lmao

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Pingui posted:

The republicans have had record turnouts at their non-contested primaries, so I don't know if the dems have a head start.

man, boomer remover is going to really earn its name

anyways, i guess change my post from dems having a headstart to dems doing all they can to catch up

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The republicans faking their pivot to the left is because their afraid their base is about to all die.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

RIP Syndrome posted:

Think of his chaotic and ultimately fruitless actions as similar to the actions taken by the late ancien regime to shore up France in the 1780s. Many of them would be taken to much more effective measures by the French revolutionary government.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Succ aren't real Democrats, they're more like Whigs.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

super sweet best pal posted:

And DSA is the freesoilers.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

I don't know man, they are rapidly on course for french aristocracy at this point. Give it a few weeks and people that have just lost everything will start baying for blood.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pingui posted:

I don't know man, they are rapidly on course for french aristocracy at this point. Give it a few weeks and people that have just lost everything will start baying for blood.

I mean what difference is there from famine and plague?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

nominating Zachary Taylor despite anyone hardly knowing anything about any of his positions except being a slaveowning general was the 19th century version of the "we should nominate a celebrity to counter Trump" idea

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean what difference is there from famine and plague?

In the end not much, either means that the smart money is moving into the grave digging industry.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

galenanorth posted:

nominating Zachary Taylor despite anyone hardly knowing anything about any of his positions except being a slaveowning general was the 19th century version of the "we should nominate a celebrity to counter Trump" idea
I always thought he was handsome on my childhood Presidents placemat

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Reverence posted:

hey does anyone have that tweet of a feminist critiquing warren about her past at harvard? i'm having a hard time finding it

https://twitter.com/PlaidHombre/status/1222144715866431491?s=20

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Phone posted:

There is no lack of access to power or influence in America. The greatest stumbling block has been apathy, Bernie's failed campaign is a perfect example of that. The very people he sought to help couldn't get off their collective rear end to support him and effect change. If they did Biden would be a hilarious after thought at this point.

It's not apathy, it's hopelessness. Disconnected voters don't vote because they rationally feel that nothing can be made better for them and the system is designed to leave them unsupported. Why should they trust Bernie or any politician?

Pingui posted:

Nah, Bernie is gonna win.

His platform can still win.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Xaris posted:

lol the funniest thing about the economics and corona thread bringing in other fresh blood from subs is all the naivey liberals being shocked at all us no 2 senilejoes. i've seen a solid half dozen "how dare you use privilege and refuse to vote for biden??"

can these new people cut to the chase, *crack ping*, then donate to jess

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
Lol at voting for downballot Dems like there's gonna be time to do anything about climate once the roni burns out

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Nichael posted:

can these new people cut to the chase, *crack ping*, then donate to jess
There's always a delay between the crack and the ping

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Lol at voting for downballot Dems like there's gonna be time to do anything about climate once the roni burns out

If corona succeeds in taking out 10% of the boomers and stalls out air travel for awhile it will have done more to slow down the rate of emissions than any administration or congressional session ever has.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nix Panicus posted:

And yet it will still be more than Obama ever even contemplated doing.

It seriously cannot be stressed enough how utterly, utterly poo poo the democrats have been for the past several decades. The economy is now collapsing in large part because it was never really repaired after 2008. Corona is widespread because the ACA was a loving disaster that existed to benefit the health insurance industry. The republicans are bad, sure, but the democrats excel at choosing to gently caress americans for the benefit of business at every junction.

lemme do my best d&d impression

bUt DoNt U kNoW tHaT tHe RePuBlIcAnS aRe LyInG????????

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

every

loving

time

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao #peoplevschumer is trending

trump is going to win re-election by blaming the coming deluge on democrats lmao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah I thought at first the stock market crash and coronavirus were going to sink Trump but now it's clear he will effortlessly coast to victory on them, not through any smart choices on his part but simply the relentless own goaling of the Dems throughout the entire crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao #peoplevschumer is trending

trump is going to win re-election by blaming the coming deluge on democrats lmao

excuse me, but i'll have you know that formerly permabanned poster leon trotsky 2012 has repeatedly shown this to be false, good sir. if you look at joe biden's plans for the coronavirus response, you'll see that it is the most progressive healthcare platform to date.