Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

To be fair, this is pretty much what they have to say if they are going to lock down. Otherwise you get what happened in Italy where it leaks and everyone goes on a wild adventure to spread it as far as possible before lockdown happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

just had to explain to my manager that inviting all the healthy employees still in the office into her room to discuss strategy maybe isn't a good idea.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Loonytoad Quack posted:

My wife's a teacher and has just been told all school holidays are cancelled and she can expect to have to cover shifts from 6am to 10pm looking after key worker children.

poo poo's really real right now.

Just emailed one of my local schools to offer to help out 1 or 2 days a week if they need me as I have enhanced DBS already.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TheRat posted:

I had some serious issues getting a setup where my cat wouldnt jump on top of my laptop in the middle of a work call. Ended up having to take the laptop to bed so the cat can sleep next to me while I work.

I've seen before some arrangements where you have something like a trolley with a cushion on top right by your workstation so kitty can be next to you while you work? Can't find any photos just now.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

TheRat posted:

To be fair, this is pretty much what they have to say if they are going to lock down. Otherwise you get what happened in Italy where it leaks and everyone goes on a wild adventure to spread it as far as possible before lockdown happens.

It's gonna be real funny when 'look they're pretending they have no plan to make the plan more effective' turns into 'oh poo poo they ACTUALLY do have no plan'.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My cat wants to be on my chest/shoulder at all times when I'm home, it makes things difficult.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've seen before some arrangements where you have something like a trolley with a cushion on top right by your workstation so kitty can be next to you while you work? Can't find any photos just now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lol work is making contingency plans on the basis that the court system will be up and running over the next few weeks.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why don't people get that this is some end of the current social order poo poo and not just a bad flu.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Carbon emissions are decreasing, sporting events are being cancelled, primetime TV is ceasing production, old people are dying, OnlyFans subscriptions are rocketing up, and staying indoors is explicitly encouraged. Crisis, what crisis?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

Why don't people get that this is some end of the current social order poo poo and not just a bad flu.

my co-workers are arguing that if we tough it out and still make it into the office, maybe they will give us a pay rise for proving our dedication.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

HJB posted:

Crisis, what crisis?

Hey Jim Callaghan got an account.

(But he didn't really say that).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's also dumb as hell, young people who get it die too, especially when the health system is scuppered and those who dont can be permanently damaged.

Youngest UK victim is 45 and had been given 2 years to live 2 years ago so was certainly already at risk. There's a handful of younger deaths world wide.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

my co-workers are arguing that if we tough it out and still make it into the office, maybe they will give us a pay rise for proving our dedication.

They'll be lucky. In my many years in the corporate universe the one thing I discovered is that there is no financial reward for loyalty. They just think you're dumb.

minema
May 31, 2011
Why is everywhere making plans based on it staying as it is right now when everyone knows it's going to be changing rapidly! We are waiting to find out if we will be able to qualify as physiotherapists this summer as planned, it's not looking good since we haven't done all our placement hours and emergency plans are only for final years who have :(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Necrothatcher posted:

Ahahahahahaha, the levels of bootlicking are through the roof

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Farm Foods was completely out of tea and coffee.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Ahahahahahaha, the levels of bootlicking are through the roof

Don't lick boots right now imho.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I remember the Farm Foods on Nicholson Street in Edinburgh somehow always seemed to have a fight taking place inside almost every time I walked past.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Farmfoods in Govanhill was terrifying at the best of times, God knows what it's like now.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Youngest UK victim is 45 and had been given 2 years to live 2 years ago so was certainly already at risk. There's a handful of younger deaths world wide.

It's hard to find figures but estimates are as high as 20% of hospital admissions are <40. They have a better prognosis because they're more likely to receive priority treatment over an old person.

It's bad news because firstly they're essentially damning an older/weaker person by taking their potential bed and secondly a lot of that 20% aren't going to have a good outcome if the beds run out altogether.

It does not 'only' affect old people, they're just the weakest demographic and therefore the most obviously in trouble.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Between this and the IDS bullshit about raising benefits, I may never recover from being so loving furious.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1240610326632153088?s=20

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The place I work at is staying open. They've got rid of all of the casual staff, they're going to fire some of the permanent full-time staff, they haven't announced who yet. I don't know whether it's better to be fired right now so I can self-isolate, or stay working so I can pay the bills

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Rustybear posted:

It's hard to find figures but estimates are as high as 20% of hospital admissions are <40. They have a better prognosis because they're more likely to receive priority treatment over an old person.

It's bad news because firstly they're essentially damning an older/weaker person by taking their potential bed and secondly a lot of that 20% aren't going to have a good outcome if the beds run out altogether.

It does not 'only' affect old people, they're just the weakest demographic and therefore the most obviously in trouble.

Which nothing to say that underlying conditions are in fact underlying! Every time I see someone say 'ah but they were old/had an underlying condition' I want to scream.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You just know IDS and May are high risk and are furiously trying repent before god.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

crispix posted:

I remember the Farm Foods on Nicholson Street in Edinburgh somehow always seemed to have a fight taking place inside almost every time I walked past.

There was one happening when I walked past this morning, so some aspects of life carry on as normal.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Farm Foods by me is a quiet, civilised place. Even today. I have enough frozen chicken to last the (metaphorical) winter.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Its business as usual at the ol fisting factory. People taking the tube into work, coughing into their hands and then rifling through all the paperwork that gets passed around the entire workshop. Feelin fine

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People have absolutely ignored the advice not to panic buy dog food, Amazon is out and pets at home have a 14 day wait for delivery.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

Pardon me but this is psycho poo poo.

It's also dumb as hell, young people who get it die too, especially when the health system is scuppered and those who dont can be permanently damaged.

Young people can die of it too, but it's much less likely. The way the numbers work is that if you get a critical case you have a 50% chance of dying regardless of age, but the older you get the more likely you get a critical case.

And yes, Theresa May is high risk, being both over 60 and diabetic. Doctors are probably already fighting over who gets to triage her to the back of the queue if she's infected.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Its business as usual at the ol fisting factory. People taking the tube into work, coughing into their hands and then rifling through all the paperwork that gets passed around the entire workshop. Feelin fine

I assume you're classed as a key worker? The nation needs it's Ferrari's operational at a time like this.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My team can't do absolutely everything from home, but as of Monday we're working from home with Slack set up so we can chat, with one designated day for us to go into the office if anything needs it (there's only a few of us, so it's better than nothing). Of course that will probably change once things really kick off.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

learnincurve posted:

People have absolutely ignored the advice not to panic buy dog food, Amazon is out and pets at home have a 14 day wait for delivery.

feed them your landlord

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Junior G-man posted:

Between this and the IDS bullshit about raising benefits, I may never recover from being so loving furious.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1240610326632153088?s=20

For me it was the antibody testing thing.

Bojo just throws another basic science phrase at the illiterate journalists and they all assume its already happening cause he said it.
I even saw one paper framing it as if it had been invented by Britain and bojo and was some miraculous new discovery.

I held my head and got so angry my chest hurt

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

learnincurve posted:

If you find yourself in an emergency I know a farmer who breeds dogs a few miles out of Derby. He's a Tory, but nobody can say no to spaniel eyes

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

FFS. Just back from a meeting with my manager. He had previously offered me two weeks off with pay, as I'm recuperating from a bout of CFS. Apparently this has changed and I'm only getting SSP. I said to him that I never would have agreed to the time off if that had been the case. Things got heated but in the end I said, if i'm not off with full pay I'd rather do my shifts (almost impossible as our opening hours have been slashed, not to mention absolutely no foot traffic thru the store)

I stupidly did not get this in writing. I'm absolutely sure that the General Manager does not know about this. What on earth can I do here?? I'm furious lol

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Is anybody else's short-term memory completely hosed right now? I can't remember how many days I've been working from home for, I keep having to check what day of the week it is etc.

Is there a term for this? I guess it's just generalised anxiety/trauma, and a consequence of my adrenaline being through the roof with the work I'm doing. I'm finding it really hard to just slow my brain down, so I guess it's a result of that...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/Lwantsahusky/status/1240620273109516289

:barf:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Frances "I'm a lush" Barber never fails to disappoint:

https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1240558780238217216?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Answers Me posted:

Is anybody else's short-term memory completely hosed right now? I can't remember how many days I've been working from home for, I keep having to check what day of the week it is etc.

Is there a term for this? I guess it's just generalised anxiety/trauma, and a consequence of my adrenaline being through the roof with the work I'm doing. I'm finding it really hard to just slow my brain down, so I guess it's a result of that...

This was my experience after several months of unemployment. You really do start losing track of time.

I found it helpful to set a firm routine for what you're doing (other than work) on a given day, so you can keep track a bit better.