Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Answers Me posted:

Is anybody else's short-term memory completely hosed right now? I can't remember how many days I've been working from home for, I keep having to check what day of the week it is etc.

Is there a term for this? I guess it's just generalised anxiety/trauma, and a consequence of my adrenaline being through the roof with the work I'm doing. I'm finding it really hard to just slow my brain down, so I guess it's a result of that...

I got the same thing when I was unemployed. It's just what staying at home every day and not having any real routine will do to you, night shifts will do it too but for a different reason.

e: Coronavirus cases in India hit 145 yesterday, but that low number might be due to a poor testing rate

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Borrovan posted:

If you find yourself in an emergency I know a farmer who breeds dogs a few miles out of Derby. He's a Tory, but nobody can say no to spaniel eyes

I’ll remember this and thank you 🙂

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Answers Me posted:

Is anybody else's short-term memory completely hosed right now? I can't remember how many days I've been working from home for, I keep having to check what day of the week it is etc.

Is there a term for this? I guess it's just generalised anxiety/trauma, and a consequence of my adrenaline being through the roof with the work I'm doing. I'm finding it really hard to just slow my brain down, so I guess it's a result of that...

Yeah I've been having that. One day I checked that it wasn't tomorrow yet like 4 times. Seems to have got better for me now though.
Mind you I've been sick too and withdrawing from weed (EXCELLENT TIME TO QUIT) so thought it was just that.
My GF was telling our landlord our symptoms and I said we hadn't had aches and pains and she had to remind me early on I was up all night with shoulder pain.

I also found myself walking up to a sideboard and touching it for like no earthly reason. Can't remember what I actually needed to do but a wire got crossed and I just did some random thing instead.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Frances "I'm a lush" Barber never fails to disappoint:

https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1240558780238217216?s=20

I’m still blocked by her I think, someone shared one of my dog pictures and she came into my feed and started ranting and raving about how under Corbyn we would eat my dogs just like in Venezuela , I replied “I’m sorry what” and she went “TROLL BLOCKED”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

I’m still blocked by her I think, someone shared one of my dog pictures and she came into my feed and started ranting and raving about how under Corbyn we would eat my dogs just like in Venezuela , I replied “I’m sorry what” and she went “TROLL BLOCKED”

Noted vegetarian Jeremy Corbyn the dog eater.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe this is a compliment, and she's just really into auto-erotic asphyxiation. Turn oaf ma gas Jeremy

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Kinder. Politics.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Suzanne Moore can’t stop owning herself, my god. The letter is like a paragraph of reasonable very moderate language not even naming her...

https://twitter.com/suzanne_moore/status/1240616165363322881

I read this reply by Hatchett so now you have to also

https://twitter.com/learnincurve11/status/1240633234024792064

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 19, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But who decides quality of life?

Just because I'm nearly 60 does not mean that my quality of life is lower than someone say 25, in fact my life now is about 1000x better than when I was a 25 year old poo poo head.
My mother at 82 is incredibly active and outgoing, takes church services, works in a charity shop, takes part in amateur dramatics. My nans at 82 were essentially typical little old ladies.

Suppose we said everyone over 60 has paid into the tax/national insurance system for many years so they deserve more than those who are younger, have paid in less years and are now going to be economically inactive for the next few years while the after effects of this virus work through.

QALY isn't about quality-of-life in the way that phrase is actually used. Someone paralysed from the neck down has less potential to do things than someone with no legs, who in turn has less potential than someone missing a toe. Now it may be that missing-toe-disease is going to kill that person in five years, but if the only treatments are either amputation of both legs which gives you an extra week, or a drug that paralyses you and gives you an extra month, guess what one people are going to go for? If you said to your mum "Well we can eke you out an extra couple of years but you'll have to give up all of those activities and live in a bubble with no human contact" what do you think she'd say?

Your active 82-year-old grandmother almost certainly has more QALY in her than a 70-year-old with typical health problems for someone of that age, or indeed a 16-year-old with cystic fibrosis. But guess what, COVID is more likely to kill that 16-year-old than it is to kill an average 70-year-old or even an 82-year-old with no long-term health problems, because what the mortality rate tracks to isn't actually age but pre-existing health problems.

How much should we intervene to make to tack an extra year or two onto a life? Will that extra year actually be filled with fun, laughter, and profound conversations, or will it just be spent in a hospital or nursing home staring at the walls, or in pain/discomfort from the treatment?

This balance is already being played out in a far harsher way in Italy of course - what resources are available for treatment are going to younger people because if you have the choice of saving a thousand people with (statistically) 10 years left in them and a thousand people with 40 years left in them there's not even an argument to be had.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Answers Me posted:

I found doing exercise and a routine helped with this. I've got a routine now where I get up as usual, do some work, lift some weights, back to work, then lunch. Repeat in the afternoon and make sure to clock off as usual.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

thespaceinvader posted:

This was my experience after several months of unemployment. You really do start losing track of time.

I found it helpful to set a firm routine for what you're doing (other than work) on a given day, so you can keep track a bit better.

I found keeping a clear distinction between weekdays and weekends/bank holidays and if I was genuinely sick days was also useful.

Another trick I did when I first moved abroad and after the initial few weeks of sorting out electrics, phones, broadbands etc, and was finding it frustrating and stressful getting to sundown and feeling I'd achieved nothing was to set myself 'work targets'.

I designated certain tasks to count as 'work' (learning the local lingo, working on my own business activities, maximum of 30 mins a day on email and social media to count as work even if I spent 6 hours on it), and then start with clocking up 3 hours a day on 5 days a week (took me nearly all day and evening to clock 3 hours at first!) and over a few weeks to move up to 30 hour a week of designated 'work' hours (and keep a timesheet!)

I kept that up for a couple of years and it really made a difference.

I was also so stuck in corporate mindset for a while that I went a step further and coded 'work' to departments. Sorting out the computer counted as 'IT Dept', doing financial stuff counted as 'Finance Dept' and so on. The proviso was always that anything not directly related to my money-earning or language learning activities was only allowed to count 30 minutes a day no matter how long I spent on it.
I even had 'away days' (work on the sofa instead of at my desk) and gave myself a written warning once for slacking :D

I know that all makes me sound like a saddo but it really worked and I don't need to do it now.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^^Yeah sorry there is a HR manager living in your head, they must be destroyed.

A number of my friends have cars so I'm proposing we do weekend walks, driving seperately and keeping distance during the walk but something communal and outdoors which tracks the passage of time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are we about to see the rise of the humble walkie talkie?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
CB Radio makes unexpected come back.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I certainly can't think of any other ways of communicating over distance.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

learnincurve posted:

Invaluable in the revolution when the phones and internet were cut off!

I was amazed actually, people were always accusing Egyptians of being disorganized and lazy.
Within 24 hours of people realizing a revolution had started, the guys in my neighbourhood suddenly produced walkie talkies, organised militias to protect the neighbourhood, set up a control centre in the mosque, printed out a list of landlines (which did stay working but only locally not out of town or international calls), my neighbour gave me a list and told me any problems run to the mosque and we will protect you.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://youtu.be/6CYhRsU4F34

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So I started applying for UC as in self employed and we were told that's where the SSP is going to come from for self employed people, but the website doesn't seem to have been updated to reflect the lifting of restrictions. It still asks me to make a joint application because I live with my partner and she's technically still working. I don't want to get done for welfare fraud, what do I do?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Amazingly the Monty Pyton Wuthering Heights semaphore video (or that weird old PIF about two lighthouse keepers who communicated with their wives by signal light) doesn't appear to be on Youtube, so just pretend I pasted that here.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

These are all we need

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Air Force Squarel?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

So I started applying for UC as in self employed and we were told that's where the SSP is going to come from for self employed people, but the website doesn't seem to have been updated to reflect the lifting of restrictions. It still asks me to make a joint application because I live with my partner and she's technically still working. I don't want to get done for welfare fraud, what do I do?
Bad news, last time I applied I was told I was ineligible because my wife works more than 16 hours a week. Regardless of the fact that she was making under 20k at the time and couldn't afford to keep things running for both of us.

I mean good luck if things have changed, but be fully prepared to get the middle finger.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Aramoro posted:

These are all we need

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Coohoolin posted:

I filled out mine as I would normally, you then have to phone to book an appointment (took me 1hr30 earlier) and talk to them. You can sign up for Universal Credit if you're self-employed, it's usually means tested so is meant to reflect your income (and taking into account your partners income). You also get access to other services like free prescriptions, dentle check-ups and eye tests I think.

(when I initially applied my partner at the time was on a full-time wage and I had just started being self-employed - I was entitled to something like £2.09 a week but the bus there cost more and they didn't refund travel)

If they do role out some form of UBI I'd imagine they'd do it through UC?

e:

namesake posted:

A number of my friends have cars so I'm proposing we do weekend walks, driving seperately and keeping distance during the walk but something communal and outdoors which tracks the passage of time.

National Trust are opening their gardens for free

justcola fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 19, 2020

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
Anybody got any ideas of how to get groceries safely while showing symptoms? Every delivery website is backed up for weeks, and I tried going to the supermarket early in the morning, but it was pretty packed anyway. Couldn't really go in while falling into a coughing fit every couple minutes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

PoorWeather posted:

Anybody got any ideas of how to get groceries safely while showing symptoms? Every delivery website is backed up for weeks, and I tried going to the supermarket early in the morning, but it was pretty packed anyway. Couldn't really go in while falling into a coughing fit every couple minutes.

get a helpful friend of neighbour to go for you

if you've got a local Facebook group they might be organising something there

TheJanitor
Apr 17, 2007
Ask me about being the strongest janitor since Roger Wilco

PoorWeather posted:

Find your local group on https://covidmutualaid.org/, from the facebook groups there are lots of local (street by street) whats app groups where you can ask for someone to go shopping for you. In my local ones people are falling over each other to help people self-isolating, people getting deliveries 1-2 hours after asking etc. Your mileage might vary outside of dense urban areas however...

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

PoorWeather posted:

Ideally I think that you wouldn't. Do you have anyone close by that can get them for you? Where do you live?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/bankofengland/status/1240647517873766405

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Home Bargains looking more and more bare. Even the knitting wool shelf is looking empty.

I felt like Arthur Lowe in that play The Bed Sitting Room when he got The Last Bar of Chocolate on The Circle Line as I picked up the last milky bar in HB. (Milky Bar is another of my vices).

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Suzanne Moore can’t stop owning herself, my god. The letter is like a paragraph of reasonable very moderate language not even naming her...

https://twitter.com/suzanne_moore/status/1240616165363322881

I read this reply by Hatchett so now you have to also

https://twitter.com/learnincurve11/status/1240633234024792064

I read all these to see if someone I know signed (they didn't, which is disappointing), but as an aside "Micha Frazer-Carroll - casual on opinion" really tickles me as a job title/description.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've been unemployed for 13 months now and the only reason I know a week has gone by is because I play Magic with friends every Sunday. Having more of a routine would help but lol at gathering the motivation to do that with depression

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like this idea

https://twitter.com/MassLandlords/status/1239990495243382784

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Running the administrative side of Microsoft Teams for an organisation of a few thousand people is real fun right now.

Also, a friend is now in self-isolation, so... hurrah for my impending Roni.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

enjoying the replies to this one

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Julio Cruz posted:

enjoying the replies to this one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lol. But I only started the eviction proceedings. I didn't mean it.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fudge Related Announcement

As you’re all no doubt aware, there’s a bit of a supply crisis going on right now due to mass panic buying and the coronavirus. This has hit my operation particularly hard- in my area you can’t find butter, brown sugar or condensed milk for love nor money. And it’s a bit hard to make fudge without those! In addition rationing being instituted at all my local stores makes acquiring sufficient amounts of what they /do/ have near impossible.

I am putting alternative supply chains in place to make up for this, but there is a lead time involved. Thus the current batch will, I’m afraid, not be able to ship on time.

The announced shipping date was March 26th. Currently It looks like I’ll need to delay that by a week in order to provide time for supplies to make it through and then be converted to fudge. So now the provisional ship-date will be April 2nd.

I can only apologise for this. The UKMT as a community has been absolutely incredible in the support and encouragement of my fledgling business, and is also responsible for a large majority of my online customers. I feel like I am letting down friends and comrades with this, and failing to come through on the good faith you have all shown in me.

If any of my current customers with orders on the books wish for a refund given this delay, please let me know by pm or email to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com and I will action that immediately. I can only hope that I have not lost your good will or future custom in happier times.

Tl;dr:

* No ingredients, can’t cook
* Exploring alternative supply chains
* Current orders delayed by a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1240630994417455106