Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Triangle boy hates particle boy. They have a fight, triangle wins. Triangle boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

bloops posted:

Here’s my cat moo

For a while I was trying to figure out if you had just not gotten around to mounting it on timber for putting on your trophy wall, then I realized it does still have a body.

:3:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I took a picture of a super cute armadillo last week

And my newf Yogi planting trees.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Fox News and Tucker Carlson say Stanford tested malaria meds on 40 people and they were all somehow cured, guys!

I got the drug news from Scientific American and some other articles; didn’t realize it was a Fox News myth?

There’s possible treatments but I don’t think anyone’s saying they’re a cure.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I read earlier that Trump is referring to this as the KUNG FLU and God help me that's so bad and dumb it wrapped back around to being funny

That jokes been doing the rounds since the initial lockdown in wuhan yo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/TravisShreffler/status/1240399019169505282?s=19

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

South Korea is the example. Expand testing drastically; quarantine those infected. It would allow social distancing measures to be reduced or eliminated if we have comprehensive test system.

Yeah, it’s this.

Everyone is social distancing and sheltering in place now because who knows who is infected.

The administration bungled containment so we have to treat everyone as possibly infected.

Once testing is widely available, we can get back to contact tracing and isolating the sick.

Not to say that’ll eliminate the virus. It’s here to stay. But testing with same day results would cut the spread of the disease significantly enough to allow life to return to something resembling normal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My understanding of “flattening the curve” was that we’re all gonna catch it, we just need to social distance to avoid catching it all at the same time.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Yeah WHO is pretty adamant that it's never too late for aggressive testing. At bare minimum, it would cut down a lot of the anxiety surrounding asymptomatic carry.

Like, the way this was handled, someone could rightly sue for emotional damages if they did everything right and still unknowingly infected a vulnerable loved one that went on to die.

I mean people could rightly (try to) sue the gov't period for how it all shook out, and the toll it's already taken.

Edit: well probably not but it's a nice thought anyway

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 19, 2020

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

My understanding of “flattening the curve” was that we’re all gonna catch it, we just need to social distance to avoid catching it all at the same time.

That’s actually not entirely correct.

If you flatten the curve hard enough, you can actually prevent a significant number of infections.

Again, it won’t allow us to stop the epidemic but it will allow us to get a handle on the infection rate, slowing the spread, and keeping more sick away from the vulnerable which saves lives.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

FrozenVent posted:

Definitely not accurate and risks folks taking things not seriously enough, reducing the adoption of meaningful preventative measures. I get the sentiment of wanting to downplay it to reduce the excessive panic some are adopting, but have to be careful not to be overly complacent. As Thwomp said, flatten the curve enough and you actually prevent infections.

We didn't all get HIV/AIDS, despite not adopting universal abstinence (much to Pence's chagrin). We raised awareness about safe sex and promoted testing such that the spread plummeted to a point where it's still a very real and persistent danger, but no reason to believe it is an inevitability in any way.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Old Boot posted:

Yeah WHO is pretty adamant that it's never too late for aggressive testing. At bare minimum, it would cut down a lot of the anxiety surrounding asymptomatic carry.

Like, the way this was handled, someone could rightly sue for emotional damages if they did everything right and still unknowingly infected a vulnerable loved one that went on to die.

I mean people could rightly (try to) sue the gov't period for how it all shook out, and the toll it's already taken.

Edit: well probably not but it's a nice thought anyway

Thing that gives me nightmares more than anything else is the prospect of being asymptomatically infected and getting over it without knowing and continuing to be in lockdown mode when I don't have to

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

shame on an IGA posted:

Thing that gives me nightmares more than anything else is the prospect of being asymptomatically infected and getting over it without knowing and continuing to be in lockdown mode when I don't have to

I'm night shift so being locked in is pretty second nature for me.

Accidentally murdering my parents, on the other hand... :\

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Here's what might be a stupid question; if you become infected, then treated and the virus leaves your system, will your immune system be able to fight it off if you catch it again?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Here's what might be a stupid question; if you become infected, then treated and the virus leaves your system, will your immune system be able to fight it off if you catch it again?

Not a stupid question!

At a basic level, yes.

However, it’s still unknown if getting over a COVID19 infection grants absolute immunity to the virus. That’s the general belief but we’re still coming to grips with the disease that only emerged 4-5 months ago.

And that’s to say nothing of any mutations the virus may undergo every year (like the flu) that could render any developed immunity useless.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/sn00ted/status/1240341798637182977?s=21 :vince:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/sbstryker/status/1240424612862648320/photo/1

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Fallom posted:

I got the drug news from Scientific American and some other articles; didn’t realize it was a Fox News myth?

There’s possible treatments but I don’t think anyone’s saying they’re a cure.

What I'm talking about is being peddled on Fox as a 100% cure. Out of 40 patients, 40 took this malaria drug and somehow were completely cured. Whether that means they passed two consecutive tests for COVID-19 or not, I do not know. I just know one of my chud former coworkers who's been saying the whole thing is no big deal is passing this off as a 100% fix for the disease that has wracked Italy and is about to wrack us.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

an old friend of mine died last night, i just found out. either apnea or a bad interaction with prescriptions and alcohol. he was 37, and one of the best of us.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Doc Hawkins posted:

an old friend of mine died last night, i just found out. either apnea or a bad interaction with prescriptions and alcohol. he was 37, and one of the best of us.

drat, that sucks. I am sorry about your friend. Me dying in my sleep is one of my wife's biggest fears since I have apnea too.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Condolences :(

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1240371160078000128?s=19

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

No ring

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Condolences on your loss

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nz borders closed

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/120423903/coronavirus-prime-minister-to-make-announcement-on-border-controls

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/DetroitQSpider/status/1240483918933082112?s=19

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

someone make a love in the time of cholera joke

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Anybody that's there is an irredeemable piece of poo poo, and deserves to die in a fire. Idiots like this will cause tens of thousands of more infections than would otherwise occur. Some of them will have their parent's or their grandparents deaths on their hands, at the very least.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao this dude gonna get hosed up when it comes time to get a job after college.

Assuming Darwin and Karma don't pay him a visit and give him double pneumonia.

Rad party though I'm sure.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 19, 2020

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Something about the combination of the trucks and the fact that the John Hopkins map made all their 'infections here' dots a good 5x smaller than they were yesterday is just idk

Like if this were a just world, slackjawed dipshits like the manchild listed above would be the ones to eat poo poo first so we could clear the .2%s in the 20-30, 30-40 categories and call it a day.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Bored As gently caress posted:

Anybody that's there is an irredeemable piece of poo poo, and deserves to die in a fire. Idiots like this will cause tens of thousands of more infections than would otherwise occur. Some of them will have their parent's or their grandparents deaths on their hands, at the very least.

You can't raise someone in an environment where "gently caress the boomers, they hosed up everything and deserve to die" is the gestalt and then expect them to have sympathy for their plight.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm sure those kids trying to get their party on for Spring Break are also extremely online and lust for boomer death

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

First we close the borders

And then....

HELL YEAH IT'S SPOOPY_19 TIME

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Move over shadow government, it’s skeleton government time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

His head is shaped like Jetfire.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Insert the seaman equivalent, but somewhere a Sergeant Major just had a heart attack:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1240583810862977024?s=21

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
If there was ever a time to start a new war to juice the economy this would be it. Too many slick sleeved privates walking around.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crazy Mike posted:

If there was ever a time to start a new war to juice the economy this would be it. Too many slick sleeved privates walking around.

Canada had been getting pretty uppity lately.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Canada had been getting pretty uppity lately.

Blood for poutine :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Woofer posted:

Insert the seaman equivalent, but somewhere a Sergeant Major just had a heart attack:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1240583810862977024?s=21

I wonder if there's a study of command morale during Zumwalt's years as CNO vs the years after. I'm pretty sure the shaggy topped and bearded Sailors were generally happier than ones with strict grooming standards.

Submarines are a good case study of this. Any bubblehead posters have a skipper that didn't allow beards and mandated haircuts underway? I would imagine that the crew would be even more miserable than normal in those situations.

Also, you're looking for :chiefsay: It's not just e9s in the navy with sticks up their collective asses. It's the entire chief's mess (e7-e9)