Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That "theory" is actually correct, by the way.

Specifically phantoms are literally the reanimated corpses of humans, the weavers do some hosed up poo poo to them and turn them into typhon, but the whole point of the game is that the merging of typhon and human minds and physiology is possible and with varying degrees of the human mind surviving the process. The typhon are... not entirely humanlike, the whole "mirror neurons" thing, so the degree of their sapience and individuality with regards to their strange ecology and relationship to the apex typhon is debatable, but the humans the phantoms are created from are, were, still human, in some respects. You are re-killing an element of a human mind when you kill them, that's why they speak. That they all say the same things I'm not sure if it's a production limitation, or an artefact of the typhon interconnected consciousness. Whether that bothers you is up to you.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The truest way in which the dead are preserved via the Typhon ecology is in the coral, I thought? Seems to imply that when someone is weaver'd, their brain patterns are integrated into the coral afterwards. Not quite sure how the Phantoms tie in to the coral, which is part of the fun to be fair.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Uh wtf is going on with this game not recognizing my controller? I’m using a wired 360 controller. When I tried changing it to controller the mouse cursor went away but the controller still doesn’t work.

Edit: Jesus Christ I can’t even figure out how to select restore defaults. Nothing is labeled right. This is dogshit.

Edit2: looks like going to Steam settings fixed it. It defaulted to Steam controller or something.

Edit3: good grief these controls are floaty. And I’m getting movement when my hands are off the sticks. Is this a known thing with a fix? Hopefully it fixes on a restart.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 3, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

Uh wtf is going on with this game not recognizing my controller? I’m using a wired 360 controller. When I tried changing it to controller the mouse cursor went away but the controller still doesn’t work.

Edit: Jesus Christ I can’t even figure out how to select restore defaults. Nothing is labeled right. This is dogshit.

Edit2: looks like going to Steam settings fixed it. It defaulted to Steam controller or something.

Edit3: good grief these controls are floaty. And I’m getting movement when my hands are off the sticks. Is this a known thing with a fix? Hopefully it fixes on a restart.

Yep, for whatever reason steam’s controller stuff really fucks with this game. Go into big picture mode, go to “manage settings” and set it to “forced off”. That might fix the rest of it. And yes, you can only do it in big picture mode because steam is insane.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Steam's is insane in a few ways. But it also has a shitton of native linux support stuff, including their own automagical roll of WINE. They'd basically have to go around murdering Koala bears or worse for me to consider ditching them.

I still feel it's 200% ethical to be murdering Typhon phantoms. As someone above said, it's just like the ethics of killing a zombie - there's no moral quandary at all. They even have a scene in cargo bay B where a few NPCs survivors witness it and discuss, saying "if that ever happens to me, just shoot". It's very clear that you're totally ok to be killing Typhon, the phantom whisperings are just there to make things creepy.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serephina posted:

I still feel it's 200% ethical to be murdering Typhon phantoms. As someone above said, it's just like the ethics of killing a zombie - there's no moral quandary at all. They even have a scene in cargo bay B where a few NPCs survivors witness it and discuss, saying "if that ever happens to me, just shoot". It's very clear that you're totally ok to be killing Typhon, the phantom whisperings are just there to make things creepy.

I took the murmurings as typhons struggling to understand and reconcile human ideas of identity and self reflection.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
To be fair, I think the whole silent inner crisis over the ethics of killing Phantoms is deliberately in keeping with one of Prey's primary narrative themes. Sure, they're unthinkably alien - but you arent, and you're very much capable of instinctively trying to identify with them using those fancy mirror neurons of yours.

I think that, more than anything, is why they whisper - because it's a horror game, and Phantom chatter forces you to deal with the unfolding horror on multiple levels at once (i.e. by hitting it with a wrench, but also feeling anxious about it afterwards).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Diplomat posted:

by hitting it with a wrench, but also feeling anxious about it afterwards

not once

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rinkles posted:

not once

You should really try the wrench then, it's good & fun.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think he meant not being anxious about beating them with the wrench. And I feel the same, the wrench is my "suffer you alien scum" tool.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Megasabin posted:

I recently started playing this game and feel like I did something I shouldn't and now I'm worried I'm gonna break the game over my knee.

Right after I did the initial quest to watch the video in Morgan's office I decided I would thoroughly explore before moving on to the hardware labs. I went back to the starting area, got into the volunteer office with a door keycode I found, and from there made my way through a duct into the fabrication lab. There was some really fat flying typhoon that had dual sentry guns on the first level. I figured I'd try to take it out 1-2x and if it seemed impossible I'd give up. Well I jumped on it's head from the 2nd floor and then somehow managed to ram him into a corner of the room with my body, such that it could no longer fly away and all it's electrical attacks all just kept going over my head since I was too close. Since it couldn't hurt me or fly away I proceeded to beat it to death with the wrench over the course of 2 minutes. Well my reward was finding a fabrication plan for neuromods and now I've already crafted about 8 of them. That's more than I could even find naturally in the environment at this point in the game.

Given how long it took to me to kill the Typhoon that was guarding this place, I'm guessing it was supposed to be a later-game area? Am I going to really mess with the balance of the game by having access to neuromod fabrication this early? Should I just avoid using it?

I did the same thing in my first play through. It's actually not that big a deal because towards the middle-ish region of Psychotronics you get the same thing and that's only a little way into the game.

the game is made to be abused, go nuts. Also, this may not be as useful as you think it is unless you also did something else when you were in this region. The tech-phantoms are a tough enemy in some situations but once you find their weakness they die easily.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Ithle01 posted:

I did the same thing in my first play through. It's actually not that big a deal because towards the middle-ish region of Psychotronics you get the same thing and that's only a little way into the game.

the game is made to be abused, go nuts. Also, this may not be as useful as you think it is unless you also did something else when you were in this region. The tech-phantoms are a tough enemy in some situations but once you find their weakness they die easily.

Actually I think you get the initial schematics from Psychotronics playing normally, then after manufacturing X amount of neuromods, you need to unlock the "copy protection" by getting into the office in Hardware Labs. Unless something changes if you do it the other way, in which case idk what I'm talking about. In either case I always prioritize upgrading the stun gun as soon as I get it (very early) to just rip out that section ASAP

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

After my initial push in Mooncrash I've started to slow down because I'm not liking it as much as the main game. It ends being a big puzzle where you need to figure out the order or characters and actions to take to finally beat it. I mean, is pretty drat good but I like more the design of the main campaign. Mooncrash is still a better roguelike than most stuff out there but I felt like I shoot myself in the feet by getting too many typhon powers on the volunteer early on without a proper way to avoid getting lock down. This makes me think that I should just restart over and try one of these "speedrun" routes that go for fast evacuation with low enemy level.

I beat this game on PC (working slowly through mooncrash) and still got the gold edition on PS4 because is one of these games that I'd gently caress around like The Witcher 3 or Bloodborne, no matter the times I've played them.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

talktapes posted:

Actually I think you get the initial schematics from Psychotronics playing normally, then after manufacturing X amount of neuromods, you need to unlock the "copy protection" by getting into the office in Hardware Labs. Unless something changes if you do it the other way, in which case idk what I'm talking about. In either case I always prioritize upgrading the stun gun as soon as I get it (very early) to just rip out that section ASAP

From what I recall you need to either hack or otherwise get in to the Dr.'s office to disable the DRM no matter what.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What does it mean if I pick up a sticky note and it just says "note"? I don't see it in my inventory or notes tab.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If it’s in Psychotronics, it just means the thing it’s affixed to is not a mimic

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Probably.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love that room filled with post-it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I meticulously picked up every single note because I was mildly drunk and for some reason thought I could recycle them for organic material. My husband ugly-laughed when a Mimic later followed me in there and scared the poo poo out of me by revealing itself right when I turned around.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Hey I just started a new playthrough because I've been playing more doom-like FPS and found myself wanting to search every little space again

Anyway I just wanted ya'll to know that Prey is an incredible game, thanks for reading

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Floodixor posted:

Prey is an incredible game, thanks for reading

It is, long live 0451 games!

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Yep, game still owns. In particular I've been reminded of what a lovely and fleshed-out storyline Danielle and Abigail's relationship is. So sad. gently caress you, cook!

I'd love to know what sone of yall's favorite sort of progress hacks are for this game. Like what specific things did you find rewarding to just skip right to?

I'm very much a completionist so I'm taking my time this run-through and trying to satisfy as many side quests as possible. I've already found some differences that make me appreciate it even more, such as Being able to save Rani in the greenhouse this time, and to find that she shows up later in the cargo bay with the other survivors.

Man, this game is so great.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Floodixor posted:

Yep, game still owns. In particular I've been reminded of what a lovely and fleshed-out storyline Danielle and Abigail's relationship is. So sad. gently caress you, cook!

I'd love to know what sone of yall's favorite sort of progress hacks are for this game. Like what specific things did you find rewarding to just skip right to?

I'm very much a completionist so I'm taking my time this run-through and trying to satisfy as many side quests as possible. I've already found some differences that make me appreciate it even more, such as Being able to save Rani in the greenhouse this time, and to find that she shows up later in the cargo bay with the other survivors.

Man, this game is so great.

I like all the different ways you can get up to Alex's office. Gloo on the sides of the hill it's on, Gloo your way up the elevator shaft, hack the elevator shaft, etc.

Since the office is right in the middle of the zone, having a way to get up/down means you can cut right across instead of having to go around. Great way to encourage player exploration with rewards both physical and non. And it provides a funny little moment down the line when Alex finally just gives you the code to the elevator since the average player would have bypassed that hours previous.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PantsBandit posted:

Since the office is right in the middle of the zone, having a way to get up/down means you can cut right across instead of having to go around.

Not to mention it gives you a great view of the zone to get orientated and figure out where the bad guys are/gently caress with them from above. In my first game the first thing I did after climbing out near the hydroponics set up and making sure I wasn't in immediate danger was take one look at Alex's office and resolve to gloo my way straight up the side, to hell with exploring by sneaking around in the bushes not knowing what's around the corner.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I'm at the part right before I upload the coral data to Alex's system and poo poo hits the fan, so I'm trying to wrap up all of my side missions

WHERE IS GRANT LOCKWOOD

Also bioshock was 5 bucks this weekend so I got it. It's nice, though it feels very floaty and lightweight, but uhg god Prey is so wonderful. I love reading the tiny things people do that I hadn't thought of, like what if you kill January? Turns out December is your pal through the game now! Man.

I'd love to hear some ending variations. My original playthrough I believe I ended up saving alex when January was up in his business, destroying Talia while saving everyone and leaving on the shuttle. I'm not sure what to do this time.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Floodixor posted:

I'm at the part right before I upload the coral data to Alex's system and poo poo hits the fan, so I'm trying to wrap up all of my side missions

WHERE IS GRANT LOCKWOOD

He floats in space on the edge of the station radiation shield about 500 meters from the station.
Technically you could find him just by flying there, but re-enabling his tracker and tagging him in security station will give you a marker to fly to instead of staring into the void.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Trouble is there's a notorious bug with that in which you can do all of what you said, but the tracker just leads you to the station exterior then goes away. I stumbled upon him semi-randomly much later in the run, what a PITA that was.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

And I think that's what I'm experiencing. I def have him on tracking and when I get to the exterior, he doesn't show up on the HUD whatsoever, in any direction.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There’s a way of finding him relative to one of the gold lions up on the top of TALOS but I can’t remember where to find the reference screenshots

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

That "theory" is actually correct, by the way.

Specifically phantoms are literally the reanimated corpses of humans, the weavers do some hosed up poo poo to them and turn them into typhon, but the whole point of the game is that the merging of typhon and human minds and physiology is possible and with varying degrees of the human mind surviving the process. The typhon are... not entirely humanlike, the whole "mirror neurons" thing, so the degree of their sapience and individuality with regards to their strange ecology and relationship to the apex typhon is debatable, but the humans the phantoms are created from are, were, still human, in some respects. You are re-killing an element of a human mind when you kill them, that's why they speak. That they all say the same things I'm not sure if it's a production limitation, or an artefact of the typhon interconnected consciousness. Whether that bothers you is up to you.

It could also be they all say the same things because they also aren't real, they're just simulation.

Serephina posted:

Steam's is insane in a few ways. But it also has a shitton of native linux support stuff, including their own automagical roll of WINE. They'd basically have to go around murdering Koala bears or worse for me to consider ditching them.

I've never been one to dismiss the quandary of shooting zombies even though most zombie creators bend over backwards to make it this big evil deal nobody could support. Even then, gently caress that, I'm pro-zombie, I'm joining their team, I'm fighting for our rights. Oh people can kill plants and animals all day to eat but you kill one hundred thousand meatmen just for their delicious brains and its all over for social justice apparently.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Floodixor posted:

And I think that's what I'm experiencing. I def have him on tracking and when I get to the exterior, he doesn't show up on the HUD whatsoever, in any direction.

i think if you go back inside, find a security terminal and disable/re-enable his tracker, it'll work again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So I've been playing for the first time and it reminds me of Bioshock but also not nearly as easy. I'm short on ammo, health, suit armor, and I had been able to handle the enemies but now they all got a major strength upgrade and I'm getting killed constantly. The before I play wiki says "run the main quest until you get the pyschoscope" but I can't see how when I'm getting killed every time I try to enter a room.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Floodixor posted:

WHERE IS GRANT LOCKWOOD
The easiest way to find his corpse I found is to fly to the Power Plant Airlock, float directly up until you are on the same horizontal plane as the giant TRANSTAR board the orbits the station, and fly straight out to the radiation boundary. The object he has is so insanely useful that I beeline for it the first time I’m allowed outside in every run.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

pentyne posted:

So I've been playing for the first time and it reminds me of Bioshock but also not nearly as easy. I'm short on ammo, health, suit armor, and I had been able to handle the enemies but now they all got a major strength upgrade and I'm getting killed constantly. The before I play wiki says "run the main quest until you get the pyschoscope" but I can't see how when I'm getting killed every time I try to enter a room.

There's not much in your post to go off so it's hard to know what you're doing wrong, but perhaps not exploring carefully enough? I haven't played in a while but as I remember armour kits are all over the place to the point that I'm genuinely confused how you could run out, I don't mean that in a "get good" way, it's just I recall health kits are the bottleneck because more damage comes off your HP. There's lots of loot around and all the junk you can recycle for mats to make more ammo, health kits etc. If you're not already you should be picking up literally everything and shoveling it into recyclers. Also not sure what you mean about the enemies getting a strength upgrade? IIRC you should only see basic mimics and phantoms before you get the scope. Mimics you can kill with the wrench pretty easily so that should save you some ammo to deal with the phantoms. You could also try a lower difficulty until you get a better handle on the mechanics. The start is the hardest bit, once you get some neuromods in you and some more weapons it gets a lot easier.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 19, 2020

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

QuietLion posted:

The easiest way to find his corpse I found is to fly to the Power Plant Airlock, float directly up until you are on the same horizontal plane as the giant TRANSTAR board the orbits the station, and fly straight out to the radiation boundary. The object he has is so insanely useful that I beeline for it the first time I’m allowed outside in every run.

Which object is that? I'm not sure if I've ever found his body, now that I think about it.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Angry Diplomat posted:

Which object is that? I'm not sure if I've ever found his body, now that I think about it.
The ARTX Propulsion Gen 2 chipset, which adds a jet boost to the jetpack, it was invaluable for my No Needles Hard runs since it allowed me to just skip most combat between it and my GLOO Gun - just scale walls and avoid everything!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Avoid fighting whenever possible. Use the GLOO gun to climb walls, sneak, and if you have leverage unlocked, explosive canisters make a huge difference when sneaking fails and you have to fight. You’ll basically lose if you ever have to fight more than one phantom early on.

You can also kite enemies to turrets to remove obstacles in your path, two turrets will chew up anything early in the game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

There's not much in your post to go off so it's hard to know what you're doing wrong, but perhaps not exploring carefully enough? I haven't played in a while but as I remember armour kits are all over the place to the point that I'm genuinely confused how you could run out, I don't mean that in a "get good" way, it's just I recall health kits are the bottleneck because more damage comes off your HP. There's lots of loot around and all the junk you can recycle for mats to make more ammo, health kits etc. If you're not already you should be picking up literally everything and shoveling it into recyclers. Also not sure what you mean about the enemies getting a strength upgrade? IIRC you should only see basic mimics and phantoms before you get the scope. Mimics you can kill with the wrench pretty easily so that should save you some ammo to deal with the phantoms. You could also try a lower difficulty until you get a better handle on the mechanics. The start is the hardest bit, once you get some neuromods in you and some more weapons it gets a lot easier.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, I've held off on exploring everything early on and now the upgraded enemies are making it literally no fun. I'm facing the enemies with the glowing spikes (Ether phantoms?) in them that take way more damage to kill plus now they are everywhere. It went from being able to GLOO a enemy and take it out with a wrench to doing almost no damage at all. I don't even see the point in killing them since it seems like they respawn constantly.

I get that stealth would help a ton but its more annoying then useful when I'm just creeping around as slowly as I can and Ether Phantoms just start rushing me in a group after spotting me from halfway across the lobby.

I guess the shotgun will help, but only to kill them when I'm surrounded, in which case I'm hemorrhaging damage no matter what.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What sort of abilities have you taken?

Get some better ones.

Edit: Actually I have no idea where in the game you might be right now. None of what you're describing sounds familiar, even endgame there aren't, like, swarms of enemies I don't think most of the time? And I don't know why you'd be doing so little damage.

Real Advice: Turn down the difficulty. Maybe you've accidentally set it to Nightmare or something?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I was in a similar situation when I first started. It was very frustrating and I ended up restarting the game. On the next playthrough I made sure to explore as much as possible before heading to the next major objective and the game became a cakewalk.