Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jabor posted:

Is it important for those students that they keep flying with you specifically, or would another instructor be able to fill in if you're out for a few weeks? Presumably the instructors that are still flying will have some students choosing to defer for a bit, and hence would have gaps that your students could fit into.

Outlining your concerns and reasons for staying home yourself, while giving them that other instructor as an option if they do really want to keep working on their flying, could be a reasonable alternative.

It is an option, and it has been offered. I would feel bad about simply shoving them off to another instructor in general, but now that I've broken free of the bizarre Canadian instructor supervision system, it's no longer a pressing concern that they fly with me specifically (on my end, at least), and in this situation I suppose it is probably the best answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Apparently Skywest just let everyone currently in training go, but they're not technically furloughs because they didn't finish training before being cut loose.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azflyboy posted:

Apparently Skywest just let everyone currently in training go, but they're not technically furloughs because they didn't finish training before being cut loose.

lmfaOO good ol’ skywest

TFAYD

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
AA: Sorry but we're delaying your class. We know you probably left a job to come here so we're going to pay you and give you benefits until we either run your class or are forced to furlough you. Either way, when we're ready to bring you back you'll still have a job at AA.

UAL: We regret that we have cancelled your class.

Mormon Air Force: GTFO

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wasn’t familiar with 121 drama during 2001 or 2008, is it normal for a legacy to pull that kind of poo poo in a crisis? That is just so awful for those pilots.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

I wasn’t familiar with 121 drama during 2001 or 2008, is it normal for a legacy to pull that kind of poo poo in a crisis? That is just so awful for those pilots.

No. In pilot culture this is considered a dick move. Also, despite OO pilots unironically calling themselves a "mainline regional" they're not a legacy airline.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 18, 2020

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I want to be out flying and I'm literally done with all the required stuff for the check ride except the long cross-country and the check ride prep

but my university is completely melting down and all my classes are hosed and they've ordered the city to shelter in place anyway so :shepface:

Yeah... same situation here. I noped the gently caress out of flying earlier this week, at this point I just don't see it happening for many months. School is still open, but I'm not goin. I doubt they'll be flying in 2 or 3 days.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My student was the last one to do a flight test, they've since been suspended.

At least I have one thing to feel good about!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Our program got some sort of emergency authority from the FAA to conduct 141 Ground Schools, as well as select dispatch classes, online. Sounds like the A&P program and dispatch exam prep may grind to a halt however.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Yeah... same situation here. I noped the gently caress out of flying earlier this week, at this point I just don't see it happening for many months. School is still open, but I'm not goin. I doubt they'll be flying in 2 or 3 days.

Well now the flight school is closed and all operations are suspended so flying isn't even an option anyway. gg

guess I'll just try to memorize all of part 61 and 91 or something

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I took a few months off while working on my PPL because of airplane maintenance on the one plane I had access to at the time.

Don’t be upset, it does come back fast. Hope you’re all doing well today and having good Martha King dreams.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

My student was the last one to do a flight test, they've since been suspended.

At least I have one thing to feel good about!

:toot: Glad to hear that you've taken a step towards improving your less than ideal instructing situation. Of course that's one step forward and several hundred steps back due to recent events. If a CFI takes one step forward but for every step forward the coronavirus treadmill effectively moves them one step back does their career ever take off?

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

Mormon Air Force

On one of the darkest days in my 25 years in aviation that's the funniest goddamn thing I've seen today. Thank you

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

CBJSprague24 posted:

My school is frantically petitioning the FSDO for a waiver which will allow this due to the extraordinary circumstances because, if not, we have to find a way to run them in person while adhering to social distancing.

Students and instructors have also been given the option to opt out of ground schools were flight labs until this is over.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Our program got some sort of emergency authority from the FAA to conduct 141 Ground Schools, as well as select dispatch classes, online. Sounds like the A&P program and dispatch exam prep may grind to a halt however.

Can you give a pretty good hint about the school? ERAU Daytona?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Guess the pilot shortage is over :confuoot:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rincey posted:

oof

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it keeps happening

https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mount=klas5_atis&icao=klas

e: lol i'm listening to ground and it's a bunch of airliners stumbling through "las vegas ground, frontier 2198, uhh, we're gonna take charlie 2 to charlie for 26R, uh, gonna follow that southwest, any other traffic advise, las vegas ground"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 19, 2020

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Fuckkkkkkkkkk.
I'm doing IND-SFO, SFO-LAX on sunday. System just needs to hold together through then, plz.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

And now they’re pushing Voluntary Time Off, which consists of leaving for 1 to 3 months while keeping travel benefits, seniority, and medical/dental. But we’re not furloughing (yet)! :shepicide:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Don’t go into aviation they said. Go into something recession-proof like concert touring. People will always go pay to see a show no matter what the economy is doing. Welp, because of the mass gathering ban, even I have now been furloughed.

The Slaughter posted:

Fuckkkkkkkkkk.
I'm doing IND-SFO, SFO-LAX on sunday. System just needs to hold together through then, plz.

I think it’ll make it. I’m sitting in SFO right now I’m the UA terminal and it’s still pretty busy.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 19, 2020

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i am kiss u now posted:

Don’t go into aviation they said. Go into something recession-proof like concert touring. People will always go pay to see a show no matter what the economy is doing. Welp, because of the mass gathering ban, even I have now been furloughed.

I don’t get it. touring is absolutely hosed right now

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, sorry, without the context it doesn’t make sense. I was going to go into aviation about 15 years ago but those were dark times and so I decided to go into concert touring instead. It’s more hosed right now than aviation it would seem.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

it keeps happening

e: lol i'm listening to ground and it's a bunch of airliners stumbling through "las vegas ground, frontier 2198, uhh, we're gonna take charlie 2 to charlie for 26R, uh, gonna follow that southwest, any other traffic advise, las vegas ground"

It needs someone in a little cessna doing pattern work like at midway yesterday. I guess the airspace didn't revert?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it keeps happening

I love it because it reminds me so strongly of watching my brand-new students bumble around an uncontrolled airport for the first time!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Butt Reactor posted:

And now they’re pushing Voluntary Time Off, which consists of leaving for 1 to 3 months while keeping travel benefits, seniority, and medical/dental. But we’re not furloughing (yet)! :shepicide:

I'm really tempted to take this. I'm a 3mo employee, still waiting for loving IOE. If there are furloughs, I'll be on that list without a doubt. I don't care about travel benefits but I need my health benefits.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Compass is dead. Crazy that this thing killed two weakened airlines in a week. I remember just 5 or so years ago that was the best regional to go to. Things change fast. Getting rejected there was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:rip: Compass

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
My heart is breaking for all of my friends still there. They were always gonna go under anyway in 6 months I feel like, but Covid-19 definitely sped things up. Under normal times, they all would have been picked up by ALPA carriers with furlough protection very quickly, but everything is hiring freeze right now so just absolute horror for everybody.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

on the last flight I took with my instructor, he was talking about applying to the regionals this fall. :rip:

at least maybe when a bunch of Boomer pilots get Removed it'll open up space

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Captain Apollo posted:

Can you give a pretty good hint about the school? ERAU Daytona?

We share our name with a conglomerate which owns a number of TV stations in the US and drew fire for forcing all their on-air staff to read from a pro-Trump script a couple years ago, but we're not affiliated with them.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Some of you might get a kick out of this.

I recorded myself recovering an elevator. Took about eleven and a half hours all in. I know there's a homebuilt thread, but it's not super active. I'll upload a 1080p version overnight - you can really see a lot more detail there, but my upload speed is terrible. I'll change the link below when I do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNzkrJ2eQMM

rldmoto fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 20, 2020

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rincey posted:

:stonkhat:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

One of of the two FBO's at my local airport just cut their entire staff except for a few mechanics and two line guys. This included one instructor that just started around January. It's where I started training, but left after they fired the instructor I was flying with twice in the span of two months so I just finished with him Part 61. It's a weird time for sure. I just finished my high performance last week and am having a blast learning instrument in the flight club's 182.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Apparently the applications are coming like crazy for our *checks notes* Advanced Flight Instructor position that we couldn’t BEG people to take 3 weeks ago.

I guess a salaried job with benefits isn’t so bad after all!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Weird looking at the weather forecast and then realizing that it has no actual bearing on any part of my life for a while. Not entirely bad, either. Winds are just around our limits with TEMPO sub-VFR conditions sounds like it would be a recipe to go up to the airport and then sit around a bunch. Well, that's not an issue anymore!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

quote:

NY Center traffic,

Be advised, due to a staffing trigger, New York Center has gone ATC Zero. We are just now getting initial information but here's what we have so far...

- All New York majors including TEB and ISP are nationwide ground stopped and departure releases will be suspended until the FAA can figure out what departure gates are available.
- N90 is working in the last of arrivals but has diverted many aircraft out of the area,
-Airborne traffic will be diverted or sent back to origination if they have not entered ZNY airspace yet
-Taxiing aircraft will be sent back to ramp and indefinitely held,

We will continue to provide updates as this information comes in. We expect a full briefing soon as to the extent of the issue. In summary, ZNY is ATC Zero - there are no ATC services available at this time from NY Center until further advised.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 21, 2020

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Well that’s not good. Can we all just cancel and go VFR?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That’s not gone well...

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Two Kings posted:

Well that’s not good. Can we all just cancel and go VFR?

Squawk 12 and trust that big sky theory!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
According to the latest NOTOF, (notice to Facebook) it's largely open again.