Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

lol Kit Harrington got nominated for an Emmy? What a world we live in will the wonders never cease

Worse than that by far was D&D getting nominated for a writing award

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lil Peeler posted:

Lol that this poo poo won best drama

I mean we've known forever that the Emmys and Oscars are a big industry circle jerk but still it's just super flagrant at this point

i mean if were are going by the entire series including the good stuff. sure. last season gently caress no.

poverty goat posted:

Emilia Clarke Loses Again At Emmy Awards And Fans Are Breathing Fire
The "Game of Thrones" star "was robbed," several people complained on Twitter.

i thought she was decent in the lovely last season but she sure as gently caress isn't good enough for an emmy. even if they are dumb circle jerk prizes.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

hawowanlawow posted:

the sex stuff isn't really gross it's just pathetic nerd pandering that makes me cringe

The dude modeled the poo poo in the books after the War of the Roses and everything in it - weird sex stuff, grisly executions, etc. - was par for the course in uncomfortably recent history.

He was throwing it in to show the kind of twisted realty of the era most fantasy novels are set in actually was - and that they sweep under the rug.

The setup with Dani is uncomfortable? Yeah, it is, and it's supposed to be.

If you want unbelievably over-the-top sexual deviancy for pure pandering and shock value then GRRM has nothing on, say, Philip Jose Farmer. Go find 'A Feast Unknown' and see the most ridiculous poo poo the 70's had to offer.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

thoughts and prayers posted:

The dude modeled the poo poo in the books after the War of the Roses and everything in it - weird sex stuff, grisly executions, etc. - was par for the course in uncomfortably recent history.

He was throwing it in to show the kind of twisted realty of the era most fantasy novels are set in actually was - and that they sweep under the rug.

The setup with Dani is uncomfortable? Yeah, it is, and it's supposed to be.

If you want unbelievably over-the-top sexual deviancy for pure pandering and shock value then GRRM has nothing on, say, Philip Jose Farmer. Go find 'A Feast Unknown' and see the most ridiculous poo poo the 70's had to offer.

All I remember from Philip Jose Farmer was Riverworld, and how literal Himmler recanted his nazi ways and nobly sacrificed himself to save humanity (after being killed on sight repeatedly by the protagonists).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thoughts and prayers posted:

Riders of the Purple Wage is the only Farmer I've read, and while it was pretty fuckin weird I'd categorize the sex stuff as much more shock value than pandering.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ginette Reno posted:

Hahaha I forgot about that

I can only assume the ceremony went along the lines of *audience bursts out in laughter* "Okay, but for the actual nominees,..."

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Ginette Reno posted:

The great thing about this was that the actual script had to be submitted and you know it was a huge loving joke after.

The Best Drama win was the equivalent of an award pity gently caress for a decade+ of those poor fuckers lives down the drain. Literally every show they were up against was more deserving.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
They actually won the writing award for the "bad pussy" episode, so I'm kind of surprised that they didn't get another one this year.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The Little Kielbasa posted:

They actually won the writing award for the "bad pussy" episode, so I'm kind of surprised that they didn't get another one this year.

I mean, it was real, real bad even by D&D standards, whereas Succession is super loving good TV

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

poverty goat posted:

Emilia Clarke Loses Again At Emmy Awards And Fans Are Breathing Fire
The "Game of Thrones" star "was robbed," several people complained on Twitter.

Is this going to be another Di Caprio situation where the award eventually goes to the mediocre actor with the most obnoxious fanbase because of meme energy or something?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

If anyone earned a win for the Revenant it was Tom Hardy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so many ppl at the office who all of a sudden started complaining about got in season 8 now saying they will watch fleabag because it won the same awards the same garbage show they complain about won

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is Fleabag good?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Is Fleabag good?

Yes.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

In Stephen King's newest book, The Institute, he shows that he has a hard on for Sansa Stark. He mentions GOT multiple times and names a character Sophie Turner.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Is Fleabag good?

it is a good 1-woman play made into a series long tv show

then the tv show did really well so they hastily had to invent a second series

im pretty sure they'll stop now

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

PostNouveau posted:

Is Fleabag good?

Yes, maybe.

It's certainly massively popular and beloved by the press and bloggers, with a lot of "she's just like me!" and thought-pieces and commentary. And there's some enormously funny bits in it.

But if you think about it, the title character is incredibly well off and privileged (despite constantly complaining about how difficult her life is), and gets away with being terrible because of that privilege. There's an awful lot of her being terrible to other people who can't or won't fight back. Which makes me feel a little uneasy about it, especially given the adoration and that the creator is a posh girl just like her character.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

GolfHole posted:

it is a good 1-woman play made into a series long tv show

then the tv show did really well so they hastily had to invent a second series

im pretty sure they'll stop now

'Hastily' lol it was like 3 years after the first one.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Fleabag's good but intensely, profoundly bourgeois. Like it will not age particularly well (as civilization descends into anarchy).

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

nonathlon posted:

Yes, maybe.

It's certainly massively popular and beloved by the press and bloggers, with a lot of "she's just like me!" and thought-pieces and commentary. And there's some enormously funny bits in it.

But if you think about it, the title character is incredibly well off and privileged (despite constantly complaining about how difficult her life is), and gets away with being terrible because of that privilege. There's an awful lot of her being terrible to other people who can't or won't fight back. Which makes me feel a little uneasy about it, especially given the adoration and that the creator is a posh girl just like her character.

i think i heard of this show before when it was called "girls" by lena dunham

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

'Hastily' lol it was like 3 years after the first one.

that is a testament to how out of place and rushed it felt

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dont get me wrong i thought it was pretty fun

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

i think i heard of this show before when it was called "girls" by lena dunham
this one is elevated by Phoebe WB's near spotless record wrt not fingering children.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

porfiria posted:

Fleabag's good but intensely, profoundly bourgeois. Like it will not age particularly well (as civilization descends into anarchy).

A much shorter version of what I was trying to say, thanks.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
GRRM gonna catch corona virus and we'll never get the next book.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Oh, I think we'll get the next book- even if someone else has to finish editing it.

I've made my peace that we'll never see the last one though...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hillary 2020 posted:

Parris found him squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up he was making GBS threads brown water. The more he drank, the more he shat, but the more he shat, the thirstier he grew, and his thirst sent him crawling to the stream to suck up more water. When he closed his eyes at last, Georgie did not know whether he would be strong enough to open them again

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Hillary 2020 posted:

Good news!

(Not GoT, the next 10 books in Wild Cards)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

13Pandora13 posted:

Ahahaha of loving course

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hillary 2020 posted:

Honestly, we've got the outline and roughly a billion words for training, we can AI that poo poo

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

13Pandora13 posted:

Good news!

Looking forward to a greyscale pandemic taking over Westros.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
It just dawned on me that I never saw the last episode.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there's no need to watch it

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Oh i know. I saw this thread bumped and it reminded me how i was so fed up after the penultimate episode i just kinda wiped the entire thing from my mind. And since i have even less interest in the books, the whole thing has been a waste of time. Hand to god, this thread is probably the best GoT experience I've had.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Hillary 2020 posted:

Who gives a gently caress lol

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

haahaha remember this loving show? blast from the past, get it in the trash

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is still mindblowing to me how hard they hosed the ending. There was so much good will for the show going into the final season.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

In these times it's nice to have a laugh in how absolutely bad the last season of this poo poo show was despite the best production availability ever.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they really ruined the entire show, even the good seasons are unwatchable now knowing that none of the interesting plots or hints amount to anything at all

d&d should really never work in entertainment again lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I hate this thread but the title is too good for me to unbookmark it