Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Bongo Bill posted:

The idea of the story being completed and therefore it shouldn't have a sequel doesn't sit right with me. It suggests that only stories that are in some way "incomplete" can be followed up on, an invitation to indulge in noncommital foreshadowing for the full duration of the film.

And we're talking about Star Wars of all things, a franchise famous for aesthetics which suggest to the viewer that there are further stories waiting to be discovered in the background of the setting. Basically, I don't think that it is impossible to continue to publish new, good, timely stories that are Based On Characters Created By George Lucas. What may be impossible is for the Walt Disney Corporation to finance them, however.

You're right. But telling a new story would entail just that, the story has to be new. If our OT characters are back (and to be honest, they probably shouldn't have been, a new clean slate would be better), they have to face new challenges, enemies etc. Not literally the same old poo poo again, because the old bad guy is still around!

But this would require taking a chance, and at the very least, coming up with new designs for the new threats, i.e. no recycling Stormtroopers, TIE fighters, Star Destroyers, Death Stars (well actually it was a Starkiller base which is totally different and furthermore :goonsay:) etc. Instead they just did more of what we had already seen. What's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

garycoleisgod posted:

Well, personally I think TFA was poo poo and TLJ is slightly better, so :shrug:. Also, Cinemascore is next to worthless. Horror movies nearly always get poo poo grades because it doesn't measure how good a film is, but how satisfied the audience is. Horror movies deny this satisfaction so they get hit, blockbusters are "watchable" most of the time, so they get graded higher than they should.

You know, I actually agreed wtih this until TROS came out, because at least RJ did something kinda sorta interesting, even if it was a failure, and TFA was just a badly done cover song of the ANH, but i got the impression that the mix between RJ pissing in JJs sandbox and the executives having no idea on what to do with the franchise kinda proactively hosed over the last movie. If you fudge the first part of a trilogy, that's fine, but having the middle part just go off the rails the way it did leaves the last part a dicey proposition

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"Everyone hated TFA and TLJ actually" is 100% insane internet people stuff lmao what is going on

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Like I'm not suggesting people who don't like those movies don't exist but The Negativity is categorically not representative of the way most people feel about them! They are pretty well liked movies on the whole!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

garycoleisgod posted:

But this would require taking a chance, and at the very least, coming up with new designs for the new threats, i.e. no recycling Stormtroopers, TIE fighters, Star Destroyers, Death Stars (well actually it was a Starkiller base which is totally different and furthermore :goonsay:) etc. Instead they just did more of what we had already seen. What's the point?
Butbutbut the new stormtroopers had smiley helmets! The new TIEs were white and black instead of black and white! The new Star Destroyers had cocks! They're compleeeeeetely different!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Pretty good posted:

Like I'm not suggesting people who don't like those movies don't exist but The Negativity is categorically not representative of the way most people feel about them! They are pretty well liked movies on the whole!

TLJ can be a bad movie as well as screwing up the trilogy, and people can still like it. Both of those things can be true.

Hollywood pumps out several blockbusters a year that are generally well liked and yet noone gives a poo poo about them 3 weeks later because they had no meaning or some other glaring Bad Movie problem.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 19, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Rise of Skywalker fails both as a sequel to The Last Jedi and as a sequel to The Force Awakens.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
TROS is Abrams usual haphazard storytelling and indecision catching up with him. Working for Disney doesn't help and comes with its own set of problems of course, but you can still work within that and pull out something that's good.

Plenty of problems in TROS are present in TFA as well, but that whole package is better so it doesn't tend to linger, TROS is a movie that knows its a mess so it tries to paper over it by bombarding you with everything it can on screen so you don't think about it. It's as though at the writing stage they had a whiteboard full of ideas and just used every single one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's pretty hilarious in hindsight that the one Mission Impossible that JJ directed is the one with the macguffin that you never get a clear answer about.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I kind of wish TFA was framed more like Leia and the rebels being painted as paranoid and written off by the New Republic. Like "ok, sure War Hero, we're going to be threatened by *another* empire. Riiiight" with Rey getting caught up in it and the implication was that she was young and naïve.

Then towards the end they activate Planet Deathstar and everyone loses their poo poo.

The First Order is too established, is what I'm sayin.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

I kind of wish TFA was framed more like Leia and the rebels being painted as paranoid and written off by the New Republic. Like "ok, sure War Hero, we're going to be threatened by *another* empire. Riiiight" with Rey getting caught up in it and the implication was that she was young and naïve.

Then towards the end they activate Planet Deathstar and everyone loses their poo poo.

The First Order is too established, is what I'm sayin.

I wish TFA was framed at all. It's the most haphazard reintroduction to an old series I can possibly imagine. You get like zero context for anything that goes on the entire movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I wish TFA was framed at all. It's the most haphazard reintroduction to an old series I can possibly imagine. You get like zero context for anything that goes on the entire movie.

They basically wanted to do what the previous trilogies did and establish an in progress conflict between two major factions. The problem is that for both of those there was no previously established paradigm (and then in the case of the prequels they actually did build to where New Hope would kick off) while in TFAs case there was a big old "?" at the end of RoJ which makes the two series disjointed and not seem to line up. Guys who look and act exactly like the Empire are just back with overwhelming numbers and the RebelsResistance are the scrappy underdogs again. It was just unfathomably lazy writing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give it another decade and they'll announce the Prequel Sequel Trilogy that sets up the dominoes for TFA to then kick across the room in a fit of rage

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Pretty good posted:

Most people don't give a gently caress about them, they watched them once and said "yeah that was fine" and then were battered by another stormfront of the Content Deluge and Star Wars was driven from their minds for the next year. TFA and ROS seem designed to be viewed that way, and while I like TLJ plenty there are definitely parts that are better if maybe you don't think too much

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

2017: TLJ was good and cool

2018: TLJ works as a ending to the whole thing better than what's coming

2019: TLJ and ROS are actually both alternate sequels to TFA

2020: TLJ is a self-standing one-off sequel to the original trilogy

2021 (proj.): TLJ is the only bluray left behind at the burnt-out best buy

2022 (proj.): starting a small post-apocalyptic cult in arizona based on TLJ

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

2018: TLJ works as a ending to the whole thing better than what's coming

Definitely agree with this one

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

General Dog posted:

Definitely agree with this one
True. It sets up Kylo on a path of being a domineering cult leader but without the quest for Unlimited Powah that Sheev was wound up on. Luke is gone, the Resistance needs to adapt and find a way to fight a guerilla war, and Rey isn't quite a Jedi but is a powerful ally and force user of her own.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Basebf555 posted:

It's pretty hilarious in hindsight that the one Mission Impossible that JJ directed is the one with the macguffin that you never get a clear answer about.

And yet, still JJ's third-best movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

True. It sets up Kylo on a path of being a domineering cult leader but without the quest for Unlimited Powah that Sheev was wound up on. Luke is gone, the Resistance needs to adapt and find a way to fight a guerilla war, and Rey isn't quite a Jedi but is a powerful ally and force user of her own.

Right, and it really doesn't leave many dangling threads. The characters have all basically completed their arcs and are more or less the same people at the end of Skywalker as the are at the end of TLJ. Of course, the titular Star Wars isn't resolved at the end of TLJ, but none of the sequels give us any indication that we should care about the actual war anyway.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ingmar terdman posted:

2022 (proj.): starting a small post-apocalyptic cult in arizona based on TLJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBA1wii70o

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Pretty good posted:

I hope the protagonist in the sequel sequel trilogy has a Buster Lightsaber

A lightsaber that's, like, 2.5 feet in diameter would be loving amazing. That bit where Kylo flicks on the lightsaber in the throne room fight except the guy's entire head just disappears.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

galagazombie posted:

We talked about it a ton thousands of posts ago. We mostly agreed it's part of the cargo cult method these movies were made with where they used important things from the originals without understanding anything about how context is what made those things important, not the other way around. One can see the exact same thing in Abrams Star Trek movies, where he inserts objects, names, and events from classic Trek in completely non-sensical ways.

Not JJ, but The Dice were fuckin' ridiculous.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Uatu The Lurker posted:

Not JJ, but The Dice were fuckin' ridiculous.

They weren't even in focus on screen during the OT, but SURE, let's make them the linchpin nonetheless

Genius!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's like, literally the one thing the old EU didn't fixate on, and they had short stories about every single alien in the cantina, and came up with an elaborate backstory for where Leia got her bounty hunter disguise. And even they recognized that the dice were too small and insignificant for anyone to care about.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I remember having some card game that I never learned to play where “Han’s Dice” was a card

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

General Dog posted:

I remember having some card game that I never learned to play where “Han’s Dice” was a card

I had that too. Interesting game in theory, but revolved heavily around the rare heroes. Even moreso than other CCGs where the rare cards are better, there would be a bunch of other cards that could only be used if you had a Luke. There were only a couple of trooper-based decks for light/dark that didn't flat-out require the expensive stuff.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 20, 2020

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I thought they were called chance cubes

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Turning the blue lightsaber and falcon into real life and in-universe holy relics is way lamer

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

It's like, literally the one thing the old EU didn't fixate on, and they had short stories about every single alien in the cantina, and came up with an elaborate backstory for where Leia got her bounty hunter disguise. And even they recognized that the dice were too small and insignificant for anyone to care about.

They did that in the NuCanon too

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Give me more anime beam weapons. Light-battle axe. Light Halberd. Light whip! Light Wind-Fire Wheels!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ingmar terdman posted:

Turning the blue lightsaber and falcon into real life and in-universe holy relics is way lamer

the lightsaber i definitely agree with, it was already handed down in the trilogy once and discarded because Luke needed to make his own to be the hero.

But the falcon is very amusing to me that a beater spaceship is involved in so much important poo poo and its such a thorn in the side of whoever opposes it that they are super loving angry about it. That amuses me greatly and is good fodder. "The garbage'll do!" was a great introduction to it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1241047640319483905?s=21

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

mycot posted:

I still have no idea how they decided on those pants. It's really hard not to see Kylo as having an extremely short and wide torso.

That's the whole point. It's the same reason Bruce Lee used to wear high pants that covered up the belly button. It accentuates the chest.

Talked about this in the Star Wars TV thread, but this is fantastic news. So great.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

So lucasfilm is just bowing to fan casting from 2015 now lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ingmar terdman posted:

So lucasfilm is just bowing to fan casting from 2015 now lol

Pretty sure that fan casting campaign started in 2017, but dammit, if you can get Rosario Dawson, you loving get Rosario Dawson.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeesssssss season two is going to loving amazing!

Rosario Dawson is fantastic.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeesssssss season two is going to loving amazing!

Rosario Dawson is fantastic.

Didn't she recently severely abuse a trans-person with her mom?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Didn't she recently severely abuse a trans-person with her mom?

gently caress really? Ugh....

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cartoon Man posted:

gently caress really? Ugh....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1069756

I've no idea what the outcome has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve always like her as an actress, gonna be a shame if she’s scummy...

:smith: