Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Volume is surprisingly high for basically staying flat (lol remember when 2% was an "interesting" day?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Volume is surprisingly high for basically staying flat (lol remember when 2% was an "interesting" day?)

I can't wait for the new market where -50% to +100% are the new norms and they redo circuit breakers :getin: (this would be horrifying)

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I think the move is to be in cash. Not long or short, though I see potential for a massive short squeeze as pensions rebalance for end of month. The volatility this past week was particularly violent because of major hedge funds blowing up.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Lote posted:

One of the perma bear technical guys I follow on twitter now is really freaking out about the price discrepancies of the leveraged ETFs. Price of the ETF not corresponding to what it’s supposed to do and their NAV

UWT is very strange. The S&P GSCI Crude Oil Index is up like 23% from its previous close but the 3x associated ETF is only up 19%. Maybe it's just a poo poo ETF but it's definitely noticeable.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

We'll hit bottom: after you get turned away from ER's because there's no room, and then, once you can be seen at the ER if you can present full insurance proof on admission

Grim.

Gave up waiting for a huge bounce, bought more puts, its gonna be a wild day tomorrow. Think people will not want to be long with a weekend of bad news coming up.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Baddog posted:

Grim.

Gave up waiting for a huge bounce, bought more puts, its gonna be a wild day tomorrow. Think people will not want to be long with a weekend of bad news coming up.

Just watch out for Friday end of day rallies.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Freezer posted:

Just watch out for Friday end of day rallies.

I don't have anything expiring Friday and I know sooner or later we're going much lower, so I'm just gonna sit back and watch.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Opening up my options volatility screener and the result is just a looped animation of a laughing skull.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Opening up my options volatility screener and the result is just a looped animation of a laughing skull.

At least you know your broker has a sense of humor.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Seems like a lot of random poo poo is popping off their steep drops from the past two weeks. Basically everyone is asking for a bailout so people are buying on that. Which seems...not the smartest move. Literal dead cat.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Seems like a lot of random poo poo is popping off their steep drops from the past two weeks. Basically everyone is asking for a bailout so people are buying on that. Which seems...not the smartest move. Literal dead cat.

My guess would be normal people with retirements that they pulled out hearing a name and hoping it's the next big thing and throwing their money at it in a panic. Trump really needs to stop name dropping, he is going to wipe out everyone's retirement accounts that don't pay attention to the market most of the time.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I haven't seen much official reporting but it looks like San Francisco is going into a 3-week 24 hour lockdown.

That said, a stock 101 question - Why would anyone buy puts to expire sooner than later, you'd think an expiration a lot later out would give you more insurance.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

DevCore posted:

I haven't seen much official reporting but it looks like San Francisco is going into a 3-week 24 hour lockdown.

That said, a stock 101 question - Why would anyone buy puts to expire sooner than later, you'd think an expiration a lot later out would give you more insurance.

sources? We're already in shelter in place for 3 weeks - I don't think theres any discussion of an escalation of the current policy.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wow. Down 3k today. Wonderful.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

DevCore posted:

theyre cheap. otm weeklies are lottery tickets

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
When does Deutsche have to admit they're turbofucked?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Doccykins posted:

When does Deutsche have to admit they're turbofucked?

Not until Trump leaves office, remember Deutsche Bank has done a lot of shady poo poo for Trump over the past two decades or so.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DevCore posted:

They're super cheap. I paid 54 dollars a contract for SPY calls at 260 that expire tomorrow. The same contracts for 3/27 would cost me 452 in premium, and the Apr 17 2020 calls would be 962 in premium.

I'm just trying to time the bounce and make a few bucks.

pram posted:

theyre cheap. otm weeklies are lottery tickets

Yeah. This.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Why the hell is go pro up almost 30%? I feel there is no way this last though everything.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

sterster posted:

Why the hell is go pro up almost 30%? I feel there is no way this last though everything.

People strapping it to quad copters? I guess they are hobby drones now but same difference.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
uso halted?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nice little melt up to get the 240/245 puts OTM before tomorrow

Big red day after those options expire?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I'm short CZR and ULTA. I like how the SPY options dont have the insane bid/offer gaps of other stocks, but it moves too quickly and I still have to work my real job.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Should have dumped when I was slightly green today. Why fight the Trump Pump?

Welp. Here's to not pooping myself over the weekend.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have added a massive short position on volatility for next year jan21, which I accumulated this whole week on every sell off. VXX double decay + tvix openfeedback loop. Even if I lose I think the argument is very sound, + vix near the peak of the 08's crisis. Could be wrong so I also bought some otm IWM puts to hedge 25% of that trade, so basically a spread.

This doesn't mean I think Coronavirus will just disappear but I feel the market will start discounting the economic impact and volatility will "stabilize" at a lower level. Still think this rally means nothing unless we hold this level Friday's close.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I'm short CZR and ULTA. I like how the SPY options dont have the insane bid/offer gaps of other stocks, but it moves too quickly and I still have to work my real job.

So, $CZR may have incredible upside / downside moves tomorrow. A TON of people wrote puts for $CZR in anticipation of there being a merger arb, but that deal looks like it's going to follow through. The stock has like a short interest of 70% and is now hard to borrow. This may force people to buy shares on the open market. which would result in an epic move to the upside. I have covered the large majority of my short position and reduced exposure. Proceed at your own risk.

I also expanded the $BYD short because it's up big today on the same news as everyone else.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Dorstein posted:

Should have dumped when I was slightly green today. Why fight the Trump Pump?

Welp. Here's to not pooping myself over the weekend.

Same. I'm so stupid.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Hoping for an end of day rally so I can load up on SPXS.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Lote posted:

So, $CZR may have incredible upside / downside moves tomorrow. A TON of people wrote puts for $CZR in anticipation of there being a merger arb, but that deal looks like it's going to follow through. The stock has like a short interest of 70% and is now hard to borrow. This may force people to buy shares on the open market. which would result in an epic move to the upside. I have covered the large majority of my short position and reduced exposure. Proceed at your own risk.

I also expanded the $BYD short because it's up big today on the same news as everyone else.

Any insights into PENN?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

DevCore posted:

Options aren't for hedging, they're for leverage.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Ulio posted:

I have added a massive short position on volatility for next year jan21, which I accumulated this whole week on every sell off. VXX double decay + tvix openfeedback loop. Even if I lose I think the argument is very sound, + vix near the peak of the 08's crisis. Could be wrong so I also bought some otm IWM puts to hedge 25% of that trade, so basically a spread.

This doesn't mean I think Coronavirus will just disappear but I feel the market will start discounting the economic impact and volatility will "stabilize" at a lower level. Still think this rally means nothing unless we hold this level Friday's close.

That sounds like a solid trade. What are you using?

java
May 7, 2005

WTF, now I'm getting "This order cannot be accepted because the security symbol is not valid." from Schwab.

Edit: figured it out, low volume issue. there was one call and it disappeared. i'm a moron.

java fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 19, 2020

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I mean it's a smaller stock so fewer options were written on it. I gotta admit that I only know the basics of options and what they do. So put = the right to sell at the strike price, call = yada yada, writing calls exposes you to unlimited downside risk, the difference between Euro / American options, etc. It's hard to borrow but there 10 million shares to short. There weren't that many options written so you shouldn't see any bad upside move. CZR has 17 million shares available to short and and 400k outstanding puts, most of which are in the money. If $CZR's shares available to borrow drops under the 3-4 million mark, whoever wrote the option will subsequently have to buy the shares on the open market in order to exercise the option. This will cause a subsequent upside movement. Again, this is my most basic understanding of options. If CZR doesn't drop below that 3-4 million mark, whoever wrote the option can buy and short the same amount of stock at the same time in order to guarantee there will be no risk from the time you buy the stock to execution of the option.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Lot of support at 2400. Probably gonna close a little up, just wish I had a crystal ball for tomorrow. I'm assuming an overnight drop with it coming back to 2400 again to kill all the shorts at expiry.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

java posted:

WTF, now I'm getting "This order cannot be accepted because the security symbol is not valid." from Schwab.

I've had this before in the Streetsmart software. For some reason you can see options there that aren't available in the website, it just won't let you purchase them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

java posted:

Edit: figured it out, low volume issue. there was one call and it disappeared. i'm a moron.

I've seen this happen with vol in the low 100s so I'm not sure it's only that.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Lote posted:

Good to know, thanks! traded a couple of puts for calls to hedge and go both ways. I'm not trading anything expiring before June to protect me at least a little bit from getting burned. Joined you on BYD

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm so loving dumb. Should've closed everything out yesterday, and rerolled some smaller positions. Only thing I did right was buy 4 puts on CACC. That's it. Down 10k in profit from yesterday.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lote posted:

How do you figure the merger is going through or not going through? I've been looking for articles about this but haven't found much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Green to the moon cause why the poo poo not.