Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My local record store, Zia Records, is shutting down until March 31st. They will be paying their employees in the down time. It's a good store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:tinfoil:

I mean, who could have even predicted they would have caught poo poo when they released and promoted The Third Reich and Roll?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Y’all listen to some weird music.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That's what life's for.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ballz posted:

Y’all listen to some weird music.

Frankly most of the posters in this thread don't listen to nearly enough genuinely weird music

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

A human heart posted:

Frankly most of the posters in this thread don't listen to nearly enough genuinely weird music

I'd like to but most of that stuff is way too expensive.

edit: That reminds me. Today I became aware of a singer that's basically what you'd get if you crossed Tonetta with Peaches.

https://christeene.bandcamp.com/album/basura

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

A human heart posted:

It isn't a competition, it's ok to like things other people like

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

A human heart posted:

:jerkbag:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My entire record collection is just one copy of The Shaggs Philosophy of the World.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Got a couple orders in this week
Probably my lot until payday, and even then I think a decent turntable is in order next month instead.

Clutch's Psychic Warfare, which has some excellent songs on it not least "Sucker for the Witch"

Mondo's release of the Metal Gear Solid Soundtrack

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

A human heart posted:

Lmfao if you like a single song with a chorus. Simpletons. You absolute dullards.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Lmfao if you like a single song with a chorus. Simpletons. You absolute dullards.

I don't even like songs with music. I just did a cover of John Cage's 4'33 but I added my own spin on it so it's much closer to being about fifteen minutes.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That post was about a broadening of taste being a good thing and now you guys are pretending to like canonical composer John Cage as a joke. Settle down!

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
if your record collection is anything other than one copy of tubular bells with a 25 cent sticker half peeled off and 55 copies of whipped cream and other delights... smdh

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Every record in my collection is secretly Chuck Mangione's Feels So Good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Mr.Shackleford, I presume

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

A human heart posted:

That post was about a broadening of taste being a good thing and now you guys are pretending to like canonical composer John Cage as a joke. Settle down!

Your post history itt historically shows that you loathe the posters here, for four years now, so I guess your reputation precedes you?? :shrug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A human heart posted:

I'll have you know that my record collection is a very diverse selection of artists and genres!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Sometimes I worry that my extremely rare posts in this thread make me look like an employee of Italians Do It Better but it’s not my fault everything they make is so God Dang pretty!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The white stripes were so good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The white stripes were so good.

Oh yeah, they're an all timer for me. The album in the bottom left of that picture is a live record of their last ever concert and holy poo poo if you're a fan you need to :filez: that poo poo immediately (unless you want to pay whatever absurd price people are probably charging for it now). It's an incredible swan song for the band. I have a whole bunch of other live records from through out their career and Live in Mississippi is definitely my favorite. I like Jack White's other projects for the most but obviously the White Stripes is the best of them. I've seen all of his other projects live and those were really cool shows, but I never got to see the White Stripes and I'm still super bummed out about that.

Also, don't worry about what you like :justpost:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Sometimes I worry that my extremely rare posts in this thread make me look like an employee of Italians Do It Better but it’s not my fault everything they make is so God Dang pretty!

listen up johnny jewel, i just need you to reprint the cat sweater. thats all.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

im like 90% sure caligulamprey is one of the residents doing very effective niche marketing

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

dorium posted:

listen up johnny jewel, i just need you to reprint the cat sweater. thats all.

It’ll be out when dear tommy drops. Any day now

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bought a copy of Night Drive back a couple months ago and it's probably the nicest record I own.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a reason Johnny sells off MP3 albums for a buck, it's obvious from the care he puts into designing his stuff that he's hugely into records as physical objects. Like Jack White without the gimmickry.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a reason Johnny sells off MP3 albums for a buck, it's obvious from the care he puts into designing his stuff that he's hugely into records as physical objects. Like Jack White without the gimmickry.

And honestly without the huge price tag a lot of the time. You can get the awesome Themes for Television for $15. And they always throw in some CDs and newsprint-grade promo posters with your order. And maybe a cartoon titty sticker too

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've noticed that a lot of the smaller labels sell records for reasonable prices. The exception being the ones that sell novelty bullshit like Mondo or Third Man. I will say this about Third Man, even if you don't like any of Jack White's projects they're a great reissue label and the reissues they put out are pretty cheap. Aside from the work they do with old blues records a lot of the stuff like the 5,6,7,8s album would be too hard to find, way too expensive, or both without these reissues.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The newest pressing of night drive is a marbled lavender color and it’s arriving Monday and I want to weep just looking at it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The one time I saw Christeene she came out slung over on the shoulders of her dancers (in bunny masks) with balloons tied to a buttplug that was inserted. The song started, she jumped off, tore it out and threw the buttplug into the crowd as the dancers then started showering the audience with multiple bags of wet, shredded phone book paper. She also managed to grab a cell phone out the crowd, rub it all over her butthole and hand it back with a smile and later she shoved her hand in my mouth while asking me how I liked my eggs prepared. All I could taste was fingernail polish. It was an awesome show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really hope she's paying attention to social distancing requests based on that description.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really hope she's paying attention to social distancing requests based on that description.
One of the 15 shows that got cancelled on me last week. :argh:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

The one time I saw Christeene she came out slung over on the shoulders of her dancers (in bunny masks) with balloons tied to a buttplug that was inserted. The song started, she jumped off, tore it out and threw the buttplug into the crowd as the dancers then started showering the audience with multiple bags of wet, shredded phone book paper. She also managed to grab a cell phone out the crowd, rub it all over her butthole and hand it back with a smile and later she shoved her hand in my mouth while asking me how I liked my eggs prepared. All I could taste was fingernail polish. It was an awesome show.

If you like poo poo like this check out Bridget Everett's live show. Her music is different from Christeene but there's a lot of filthy stuff in it and she does a lot of crazy poo poo to/with the audience. Never be in the front row for that one. She sat on a dude's face at one point and then her finale was when he made her "fly". Basically she had the dude lay on his back then he put his feet up and she balanced her whole body on them and she is a very large woman. It was loud, filthy, and hilarious.

By the way do you happen to know how I could get my hands on the Basura LP?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

caligulamprey posted:

That is uh... something.

Hey on that note, since today Bandcamp is waiving revenue sharing with artists, it might be a good day to share some of our favorite's vinyl releases available through Bandcamp.

I'll start with Count Bass D's newest album is up for pre-order. Not sure when it ships, but the album is great (albeit very short):

https://countbassd.bandcamp.com/album/cbd

Also check out his Edibles Volumes 1 and 2. I think the cassettes for those are sold out, but they're great beat tapes to download.

Atlanta-based producer Jon Doe has a couple of old vinyl singles still available on his bandcamp. One of my all-time favorite hip hop albums is his "Meet Jon Doe" which unfortunately never saw a vinyl release and has been out of print for years. But you can buy the digital copy there.

Lastly I'm a huge fan of Butcher Brown, a funky jazz band out of Richmond, Virginia that includes hip hop producer DJ Harrison on keys. They have a live album for sale (although it looks like it's imported from Britain so I dunno how the exchange rate on that will be) and also a Fela Kuti-inspired limited release EP. Highly recommended.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

One of the 15 shows that got cancelled on me last week. :argh:

Tropical gently caress Storm was all set for another US tour and they had to cancel all their shows. I missed them the last couple times too. But I'm sure they'll be back because they keep cranking out new material and they've been here at least three times.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

By the way do you happen to know how I could get my hands on the Basura LP?
My guess is if there are any more copies they're only gonna be available on a tour and that's currently out the window. The last couple of times she's been through Portland were only 15-minute guest spots during marathon drag shows so I haven't seen her since that one time and I don't know what the merch is like in those circumstances. None of this matters now anyway.

Ballz posted:

That is uh... something.
The videos are a good way to catch what Christeene is slingin' without catching hepatitis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJNDWvLmxbk

Re: Bandcamp, Secret Records not only is the only label doing up Residents reissues right, they also have a collection of non-Res related material worth delving into and they've also got a 20% off quarantine sale going down right now: https://secretrecords.bandcamp.com/

CPL593H posted:

Tropical gently caress Storm was all set for another US tour and they had to cancel all their shows. I missed them the last couple times too. But I'm sure they'll be back because they keep cranking out new material and they've been here at least three times.
I currently have a shrine of poo poo-i've-gotten-at-shows which consists of a bloodied drumstick from Tropical gently caress Storm inserted into the wine bottle that was handed to me at the Sunn O))) show sitting in my energy dome I caught from the Devo set at Desert Daze.

I MISS SHOWS SO MUCH. :negative:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

My guess is if there are any more copies they're only gonna be available on a tour and that's currently out the window. The last couple of times she's been through Portland were only 15-minute guest spots during marathon drag shows so I haven't seen her since that one time and I don't know what the merch is like in those circumstances. None of this matters now anyway.

The videos are a good way to catch what Christeene is slingin' without catching hepatitis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJNDWvLmxbk

Re: Bandcamp, Secret Records not only is the only label doing up Residents reissues right, they also have a collection of non-Res related material worth delving into and they've also got a 20% off quarantine sale going down right now: https://secretrecords.bandcamp.com/

I currently have a shrine of poo poo-i've-gotten-at-shows which consists of a bloodied drumstick from Tropical gently caress Storm inserted into the wine bottle that was handed to me at the Sunn O))) show sitting in my energy dome I caught from the Devo set at Desert Daze.

I MISS SHOWS SO MUCH. :negative:

I don't have any stuff like that but I got David Byrne and St. Vincent to sign the promo poster from the concert and Byrne also signed my copy of Fear of Music. Another time I got Weird Al to sign my copy of UHF. He's very nice and looks freakishly young up close. I have a whole collection of autographs from live poo poo I go to but those are the only music ones I got. I also have an album of instax pictures of me with various comedians from shows I go to. Most of them are people only comedy nerds would know but I ahve Conan O'Brien and Tom Green in there.

ALSO!

If you do happen to go to one of those Christeene shows and you see the LP could you grab it for me and I'll pay you?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

If you do happen to go to one of those Christeene shows and you see the LP could you grab it for me and I'll pay you?
Hell yeah, dogg!

...I have zero idea when shows are gonna start going on again :smith:

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Ballz posted:

Hey on that note, since today Bandcamp is waiving revenue sharing with artists, it might be a good day to share some of our favorite's vinyl releases available through Bandcamp.

Unseen Worlds is one of my favorite labels on the planet; they've turned me onto a ton of crazy poo poo. Recommended if you like modular synth stuff like Tangerine Dream or Suzanne Ciani, weird Kitchen-era avant-garde orchestrated stuff like Julius Eastman or Peter Gordon, or rigidly repetitious minimalism like Charlemagne Palestine or pre-Einstein Philip Glass.

- Their best known releases are probably Laurie Spiegel's The Expanding Universe and [url=https://unseenworlds.bandcamp.com/album/unseen-worlds]Unseen Worlds. Modular synth stuff rules because it makes anything you're doing while you listen to it feel epic, and Spiegel's work is some of the best in the genre.

- I can also vouch for the Carl Stone compilations, although they are extremely rigorous and process-driven. I got into them around the same time I got into 0PN, if that's any indication of what to expect.

- The "Blue" Gene Tyranny records are strange but I enjoy them quite a bit; sometimes they sound like weird jazz, at other points it sounds like the Fairport Convention. Out Of The Blue is the one I've spent the most time with, so start there.

- Dickie Landry's Fifteen Saxophones is loving bonkers but your neighbors and/or pets may hate it. I don't have any pets and my neighbors have bad taste, so I love it. Reminds me a LOT of Colin Stetson's solo stuff.

- Finally Lubomyr Melnyk's Three Solo Pieces is probably my favorite release on the label; it's just a river of piano arpeggios. He's apparently the Guinness world record holder for fastest piano player in history, so, uh, RIYL Twista I guess?

Give them money pls, they are doing the Lord's work and I want them to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

caligulamprey posted:

Don't joke, I live at the source for Chuck Mangione. I could probably get you his entire vinyl discography just by going to the thrift stores if they were, you know, open right now.

On the bright side besides the Acid Nightmares compilation arriving yesterday my co-worker very nicely gave me some of his classic rock records. On the downside my needle's still pretty well shot and my replacement ordered from Japan ain't gonna arrive anytime soon. Also poking at 1970s era audio equipment that hasn't moved since the 90s has opened a whole :can:. The receiver has gone from fine to developing a 60 cycle hum to nearly dying/losing the amplifier last night. Further poking has brought it back but half the speakers are dead essentially making it mono.

It feels like the universe is punishing me for giving in and trying to play records.