Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Delorean, Mauve, and my favourite character, Anthony Hopkins' brilliant portrayal of Dr General Motors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm thinking the Crime App's point is something like Super Google has decided that it's impossible to completely curtail crime and that certain people are prone to it in an absolutely terrible :biotruths: sort of way or "it's actually better have some people commit crime in a society than not".

So it creates a Crime App to channel those things in a controlled fashion.

edit: it's super dumb but makes kinda sense in this dumb show

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 19, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The scenes set hundreds of years in the future, you mean?

Simple agrarian society living off vat grown meat and sleeping in techyurts like the Mongols of old.

He was reading news articles about the massacre in the park and was attacked for the bounty Delos put out on him.

What I didn't get about those scenes was why they had live cows living outside that Bernard apparently takes care of as part of his job. Unless the poor workers in the yurt camp have to farm their own meat for themselves.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
When it comes to the outside world is a simulation angle, I wonder if we're gonna get something like that, where Dolores truly believes it is and she thinks that's why the humans are truly awful. All her talk about burning the world down is her believing in tearing it down and waking everyone up so she'll be super confused when that's not the case.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so how does the crimebucks work

do you get paid in chucky cheese crime tokens and then get real money or maybe you do the pachinko thing and buy a giant stuffed bear for crime tokens

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Alan Smithee posted:

do you get paid in chucky cheese crime tokens and then get real money or maybe you do the pachinko thing and buy a giant stuffed bear for crime tokens

Botcoins.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dessel posted:

I'm thinking the Crime App's point is something like Super Google has decided that it's impossible to completely curtail crime and that certain people are prone to it in an absolutely terrible :biotruths: sort of way or "it's actually better have some people commit crime in a society than not".

So it creates a Crime App to channel those things in a controlled fashion.

edit: it's super dumb but makes kinda sense in this dumb show
The world of Westworld seems to basically be "What if techlord liberalism actually got a chance to technocratically solve all the world's problems". I can 100% see the Crime App being a thing in that scenario, and it being dumb is more a reflection of that technocrat tendency than an actual dumb idea from a writing standpoint.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if "global warming being solved" was meant to be real, or if that's just rich people pretending like they solved it when what really happened is the AI calculated the cheapest way to insulate the least at-risk territories from its effects. Or possibly solved it through geoengineering that ended up concentrating the devastation in the areas least able to resist.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When it comes to the outside world is a simulation angle, I wonder if we're gonna get something like that, where Dolores truly believes it is and she thinks that's why the humans are truly awful. All her talk about burning the world down is her believing in tearing it down and waking everyone up so she'll be super confused when that's not the case.
I feel like it's gonna be more like "The dominance of the Big Brain AI means its simulation of the world defines reality", effectively turning the actual real world into a simulation, than the real world being a simulation. Who knows though, but "the real world is a simulation" seems too obvious, and we know they have to trick Reddit.

All those things tie strongly into the idea of how biases in input data get magnified by AI and machine learning, and that you can't just make a neutral "Improve things" program - there's always some value judgment happening, and whoever decides on that has enormous influence on everything else.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
What was that short story about the fast food shift scheduling software that accidentally takes over the world? Is that what the big brain is?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

No Luck Needed posted:

crackheads break into construction projects to steal equipment and supplies to resell. I now want a one off episode of jessie pinkman's robo buddy being stolen, chappi'd out, and sent on a crime spree.

they said the future was boring so people needed to go to westworld for fun. Having gun play in Neo-LA was dumb, they should of gone full on Dolores melee those gaurds down instead of a hail of gun fire. How can the future be boring with a GTO crime app, the Ben Barnes character overdosed on drugs, still sounds like lots of corporate espionage. The future didnt look boring enough. We know there are hand held devices to close up cuts and prob do lots of cosmetic fix ups. The ability to grow new organs and probably do skin grafts too. Jessie Pinkman seemed bored of his life but not of the future.

I think there are people alive today who feel existential boredom, and apparently there's something about a certain level of wealth where people can't seem to help themselves but to participate in human and child sex trafficking, just pick a billionaire at random and you found yourself some horrible criminal in one way or the other, and I'm not talking about the crimes and misdeeds necessary just to become one. Boredom is also kind of a personal thing, like, some people get it very easily or even when doing exciting things. Other people smoke weed and forgot what boredom was or felt like twenty years ago. There's someone out there who would be bored even if there was a machine that just constantly stimulated their brain to experience fun directly.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Everything in this show is as good as ever, except for the writing, which is as bad as ever. 10/10 can't wait for the rest of the season.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I am very excited to resume my favorite hate-watching experience and look forward to seeing Aaron Paul do his damndest with some awful material.

I knew this was gonna be good but never in my wildest dreams did I think I was gonna get Aaron Paul tearfully saying "Unsubscribe. Confirm." as sad music played.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also, the people using the Crime App (RICO?) aren't exactly in WW's target demo. The guys with ~high networth~, the idle and generational wealth of people like Logan, are certainly bored enough with their consequence free existence and endless largess so that they want to go to WW and spend a boatload of cash...

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Alan Smithee posted:

I noticed it gave both a 'you earned 5 crimebucks!' in big text near the middle and a 'you made $1200 on this job!' near the bottom.

So maybe you get both, and the dollars are used for, you know, stuff people spend money on in normal society, while the crimebucks affect this 'rating' that everyone keeps telling Caleb he needs to improve.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
But yeah, I've been hoping for a while now that we'd get to see more of the downtrodden masses and how they're doing in this neoliberal hellworld, all the way back in season 1 with Felix and the other working stiffs. Kind of hoped we might get some oppressed peoples solidarity in season 2, but that went out with a train that crashed into the side of a mountain (and a bunch of goons who don't get how trains work). Maybe we're getting it now, and I'm totally down for it. After all, the real enemy for the hosts wasn't really ever the poor schlubs that make up the majority of humanity...it's always been the rich assholes that think that money gives them a right to do with other people whatever they want.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why were they showing Caleb's friend being in various locations if he wasn't real?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Uh, pretty sure that was all a flashback to when he died. We only ever hear his voice over Caleb's phone.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Why were his buddy and him not in uniform when he got shot? Were they doing post-service crime, or is it implied that his friend died during some kind of deniable black-op type mission? Wasn’t really clear to me, but I wasn’t sure if it was the show being murky or I just missed something.

It’s strange how much this feels like an “Obama era” (for lack of a better word) show almost. The “what if Silicon Valley- technocrat liberalism......WAS BAD?!?” thing just seems so much like the concerns of another era, rather than just a few years ago. Weirdly Avenue 5 feels much more grounded in our current moment of gaudy cartoonish brutality and incompetence.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 20, 2020

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Avenue 5 is like Futurama and Veep had a baby and it's great.

Anyway, I don't know if it was thought out this far, but I appreciate how the world is definitely someplace Ford would not want to be.

I wanted more MIB in my first episode.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
lol I didn't expect my office building to be featured as the HQ of the evil guy in Westworld. But I guess this part of the world must look quite futuristic for the average American viewer.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

BabyFur Denny posted:

lol I didn't expect my office building to be featured as the HQ of the evil guy in Westworld. But I guess this part of the world must look quite futuristic for the average American viewer.

It's all SE Asia right? The USA hasn't built anything new in decades...

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

All those fancy buildings are just straight up Valencia with very little CG.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Meanwhile DEVS showing off the San Fran salesforce building like it isnt the worlds largest vibrator

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They did a bunch of filming in Singapore, most of the downtown-looking driving scenes according to the BTS I watched.

I'd love to see something shot in LA that didn't use that one beaux arts bridge over the giant concrete river culvert.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
The writing is as bad as ever. Struggling to recall a series that poo poo the bed after a great first season harder than Westworld.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Zeta Acosta posted:

Anthony Hopkins was the only good part of this show.

Bring him back and his cat.

Anthony Hopkins is too good for the show the way it is now.

Anyway where can I download crimeapp on the app store?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

DropsySufferer posted:

Anthony Hopkins is too good for the show the way it is now.

Anyway where can I download crimeapp on the app store?

crime is on hiatus due to covid-19

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

baalaagaa posted:

The writing is as bad as ever. Struggling to recall a series that poo poo the bed after a great first season harder than Westworld.
Heroes?
Though Heroes was just fun.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

FilthyImp posted:

Heroes?
Though Heroes was just fun.

That’s a good example but Weatworld 1 is way better than Heroes 1

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

beanieson posted:

That’s a good example but Weatworld 1 is way better than Heroes 1

Would watch the robot farmer show

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Why does everyone in the future have face blindness?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm really not too fussed about some ultra rich future assholes not remembering something as insignificant to them as the face of the robot girl they raped whilst on a sadistic LARPing vacay tbh

Especially since Dolores is only a lvl1 starter quest!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

esperterra posted:

I'm really not too fussed about some ultra rich future assholes not remembering something as insignificant to them as the face of the robot girl they raped whilst on a sadistic LARPing vacay tbh

:fry:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I am kinda surprised that nobody else appreciated the use of music in this episode. I mean poo poo, I certainly did, but it's probably because I'm like, a millennial (or something) who was born in the mid-80s and thus loves pop music from the latter part of the '90s.

It's just very tough for me to truly dislike an episode that uses "Dissolved Girl" from the best Massive Attack album by a good measure (Mezzanine), plus that fantastic use of Common People by Pulp, and I have to give them credit for actually having characters singing karaoke to the German version nof 99 Luft Balloons by Nena... Pretty drat good IMO

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

esperterra posted:

Everyone remembers Hogger.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

kaworu posted:

I am kinda surprised that nobody else appreciated the use of music in this episode. I mean poo poo, I certainly did, but it's probably because I'm like, a millennial (or something) who was born in the mid-80s and thus loves pop music from the latter part of the '90s.

It's just very tough for me to truly dislike an episode that uses "Dissolved Girl" from the best Massive Attack album by a good measure (Mezzanine), plus that fantastic use of Common People by Pulp, and I have to give them credit for actually having characters singing karaoke to the German version nof 99 Luft Balloons by Nena... Pretty drat good IMO

The soundtrack continues to be one of the best parts of the show! :sax:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kaworu posted:

All of these words to not mention the death grips track :colbert:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

esperterra posted:

Also she's not dressed up in her western costume and she's somewhere they have no reason to expect that a robot from westworld would be

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I hope once word gets out all these rich fucks living in future LA are like “OH poo poo Dolores comin” whenever she’s casually walking through with the shotty under her trench coat

Max
Nov 30, 2002

kaworu posted:

It was mentioned! But what did it actually add to the episode?

Max posted:

I'm laughing at the fact that in the entire history of music, the people of the future just want to listen to Pulp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

The soundtrack continues to be one of the best parts of the show! :sax:

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X35voOs4rQA