Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Basileus777 posted:

The things I quoted are wrong in any case. Bow knight it not just a flat upgrade over sniper. It's not really good to advise people learning the systems of the game with bad advice stated in broad general terms. All the things I quoted were things that are just flat out wrong regardless of difficulty. Talk of level 30+ class growths like they are relevant and bow (the best weapon in the game) classes being bad is not advice that should be given to anyone.

tbh I did forget that hunter's volley was limited to sniper because only like 4 combat arts work like that but I still don't think it's a clear cut better option than 8 move, canto, and the potential for like 8 range on top of that. plus I don't think either is especially great. the fact that you can use bows in any class really undercuts the archer line in general. bows are good in maddening but I don't think you ever need to be in a bow class. particularly not archer, which is terrible

also I think I was unclear about my comment about sniper's growths. I wasn't saying that they were worse than bow knight's; they're actually better. I was saying that they don't matter. every bow class has bad growths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Natural 20 posted:

On maddening, if you have a sniper or bow knight, consider that they could be a wyvern with a bow instead.

I made Leonie a Pegasus Knight in order to get her Darting Blow, and she was so effective like that I considered switching my plan for her to "Falcon Knight but with a Bow". However, that run I had a bunch of fliers planned already (including Claude), and decided against it mostly because I wanted someone with a Stride battalion. Everyone else was a flier or an infantry, so I felt she'd be the best option for it.

Gautier Knights are the best Stride battalion, and they are built for a physical unit, so even with DLC I'd probably still always have a Bow Knight for that purpose. I guess you could use a Great Knight instead, but I'm not a fan of those.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Genovera posted:

I made Leonie a Pegasus Knight in order to get her Darting Blow, and she was so effective like that I considered switching my plan for her to "Falcon Knight but with a Bow". However, that run I had a bunch of fliers planned already (including Claude), and decided against it mostly because I wanted someone with a Stride battalion. Everyone else was a flier or an infantry, so I felt she'd be the best option for it.

Gautier Knights are the best Stride battalion, and they are built for a physical unit, so even with DLC I'd probably still always have a Bow Knight for that purpose. I guess you could use a Great Knight instead, but I'm not a fan of those.

Good news! Anna's battalion is a flying battalion with stride. So if you did it again that issue is gone!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The biggest draw for Bow Knight with DLC is that it's the best user of the Indech Sword Fighters, since Retribution is best on a mounted unit for the same reasons as Stride is, and Bow Knights don’t really benefit from Retribution themselves.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

galagazombie posted:

It seems so weird to me they Byleth and the faculty out of Dancer. Especially when they made a teacher unit entirely around being the dancer class.

Byleth presumably can't be a dancer because they can powerlevel Charm into the stratosphere via teatime and the dancer-exclusive combat art would be ludicrously broken on them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Excuse me why are mages the fastest fuckers on the planet in maddening???

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I see you haven't run into peg knights or some of the sword units yet

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

enemy mages are literally faster than mercenaries. that should not be how the balance between these two classes works out. I'm sure there are faster units but that's not the point really.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Amppelix posted:

enemy mages are literally faster than mercenaries. that should not be how the balance between these two classes works out. I'm sure there are faster units but that's not the point really.

Which chapter are you on? It looks like there's a point where physical enemies carry steel weapons and tank their attack speed, even if they have good speed. This gallery has the stats of enemies for Black Eagles on Maddening: https://imgur.com/a/dSnk6C9

Looking at chapter 8, the mercenaries have 23 speed and 17 attack speed (steel sword), while the mages have 19 speed and 19 attack speed (fire). Although the mercenaries are technically faster, they have heavy gear.

It changes once the physical units get silver weapons. In Crimson Flower chapter 12 the mercenaries have 30 speed and 27 attack speed (silver sword) while the mages have 26 speed and 26 attack speed (fire).

In both cases the mercenary has 4 more speed than the mage, but silver swords are lighter than steel, plus their strength going up offsets the weight more. Maybe mercenaries should be even faster, but I think it's mostly just that steel weapons are garbage. Swordmasters are dramatically faster than Dark Bishops and such though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Specifically I'm on balthus' paralogue right now, and the two fastest units on the map, raw speed, are two mages. And what's bizarre is that there's some warlocks on this map, higher level even, and they have terrible speed! So it's specifically the enemy mage class that seems to have an insanely high speed growth for no apparent reason, when speed had never really been the mage's thing. And of course it makes them super dangerous to most of your units. Getting doubled by mages is a very bad time.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Amppelix posted:

Specifically I'm on balthus' paralogue right now, and the two fastest units on the map, raw speed, are two mages. And what's bizarre is that there's some warlocks on this map, higher level even, and they have terrible speed! So it's specifically the enemy mage class that seems to have an insanely high speed growth for no apparent reason, when speed had never really been the mage's thing. And of course it makes them super dangerous to most of your units. Getting doubled by mages is a very bad time.

That's pretty weird. I don't know how they set up enemy units, but this made me curious so I looked up enemy growths. Apparently the enemy speed growth is 0 for mage and 10 for mercenary. Since it's a DLC paralogue, could they have cranked up the mage's stats to make it harder?

I finished up my Crimson Flower NG+ Maddening run! I got screenshots of everyone's stats and pairings again: https://imgur.com/a/PlgMRzg

Jeritza was absurdly powerful. As soon as he joined, I equipped mastermind and a knowledge gem. He got Counterattack after a few battles, and I also fed him most of the stat boosters that I had been hoarding. His job was to bait everything (especially archers and mages), and using him felt like cheating despite being on maddening because he was basically invincible.

I didn't use any duplicate "end" classes this time, which was fun. Dark Flier Constance and Valkyrie Lysithea were unsurprisingly both great. Honestly the best thing about Valkyrie was Uncanny Blow. The bonus range and mobility were nice but her spells are normally kind of low accuracy, and that let her get 100% chance hits with Luna and Hades, which could delete anything. I'm definitely putting Constance through it next run, for Bolting.

Trickster Yuri ended up being a bit useless, and was benched for most of the second half. That surprised me because I relied on him so much in the DLC side story, but I guess with dancer available his utility was just less helpful.

I let the pairings end up however they naturally would without even looking at the close allies info. I'm happy with all of them except Edelgard/Hanneman because he's too old for her. That one should have been platonic. Now I kind of wish I had S ranked her instead of Hubert.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea sounds like a dlc problem considering I can't remember any times where mages seemed the fastest enemies in the main game

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I always wondered why Lysithea wasn't as accurate as she should be given her great dex growth, but it turns out that in Three Houses the luck stat is actually kind of important for a magic attack's hit rate. In this game, a spell's hit rate is added to half the sum of a unit's dex and luck to make the total hit rate, so Lysithea's great dex is kind of undermined by her terrible luck.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is there a good breakdown of how stats work in Three Houses anywhere? Serenes Forest doesn't have it, and that's usually my go to. I've noticed that strength affects how much weight drops your AS, that magic evasion is calculated differently than physical evasion, and that crit is not just half your dex, but not specifically how these differ from previous entries.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

fire emblem wiki: https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Avoid

sadly there's no easy "this is how all of the stats work in three houses" page, you'll have to go to each individual stat's page.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's a good class for Ferdinand? I'm in part two and, boy, everyone's some unkillable juggernaut or some supreme killing machine (or both) but here's Ferdinand just plink-plonking away at enemy health while not being quite that tanky. What can I do to make him more useful than someone who is good at cleaning up the battlefield of items?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you're already in part 2 and he's not that good, i think you've kind of missed your chance and he'll never really catch up to the rest of the squad even if he gets better,

I usually have him in armor. Wyvern rider/lord is another choice because that class is good on anybody.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Jimbot posted:

What's a good class for Ferdinand? I'm in part two and, boy, everyone's some unkillable juggernaut or some supreme killing machine (or both) but here's Ferdinand just plink-plonking away at enemy health while not being quite that tanky. What can I do to make him more useful than someone who is good at cleaning up the battlefield of items?

Paladin is a good class for Ferdinand but you really want him to master the Brigand class for death blow.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jimbot posted:

He's one of the best dodge tanks in the game due to his personal skill so making him a Dancer can get him to be hilariously dodgy.

Otherwise just any good physical class.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Haven't been able to play too much because of work but I did get to do Lorenz' Paralogue Battle and now Lysithea is a long-range tactical nuke. :getin:

Also shoutouts to Ignatz and Hilda for pulling out single digit crits. Ignatz was making a killshot on the commander in Lorenz' Paralogue and a crit was unnecessary but he did it anyways to completely nuke him from existence. And then Hilda did a Crit Spike on the commander in the Alois/Shamir Paralogue for like 86 damage and I'm surprised there was anything left of the poor sod. "You're making me work!" indeed.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, if you want a real answer, pretty much everyone is improved by putting them on a wyvern. If you want a "show me the dumbest gimmick you can" answer, run Ferdie through bishop for renewal and put him in holy knight to nosferatank.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Amppelix posted:

If you're already in part 2 and he's not that good, i think you've kind of missed your chance and he'll never really catch up to the rest of the squad even if he gets better,

The one possible saving grace is getting Swift Strikes at A in Lance, which can help him dish out good damage even if his speed's not that high.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I put Ferdie in Swordmaster to fix his speed issues and he was beastly in that role

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Amppelix posted:

fire emblem wiki: https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Avoid

sadly there's no easy "this is how all of the stats work in three houses" page, you'll have to go to each individual stat's page.

Thanks. Apparently a unit's inherent crit rate is the average of their dex and luck, which was the one giving me the most pause.

Jimbot posted:

Ferdie is cursed with extremely balanced growths, which means he'll do alright in any (physical) class he's asked to be, but he can be excellent or poor based entirely on the whims of the RNG.

The one thing he does uniquely well is combine his character ability with the dancer's sword avoid ability. I put him through dancer on my latest play through and, coupled with his solid defenses, he's literally unkillable but he also can only kill mages because his strength is absolutely hosed.

E: I did admittedly also make him a Holy Knight instead of a swordfaire class, because not making Ferdinand a Holy Knight feels wrong to me.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Finally got the DLC and am enjoying the side story a ton. It is not as difficult as I had been lead to believe, just finished Ch.4 and am having more fun than I've had with an FE game in a while. I really like the more tradtional experience of a small amount of characters with mostly set classes. : ) Neutral to positive on the Ashen Wolves so far. I like Hapi a ton as a character but she seems allergic to good levels.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hapi is a bit below your average mage in terms of stats, but she compensates with a top tier spell list. She's definitely the best Ashen Wolf.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Her spells and the Valkyrie class are making her super useful regardless of her underwhelming levels, yeah : )

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hapi's worst showing is probably the DLC since it doesn't really show her strength as Lynhardt but with female promotions.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013
Constance has a more useful niche than Hapi, who is a Linhardt with a worse skill spread (ie she's a worse healer and supporter), but better attack spells and class options. Hapi's personal is one of the worst in the game, it's actually a liability because you don't want her targeted by monsters and the damage bonus is not helpful when she gets seraphim anyway.

Yuri's the real disappointment when it comes to the Ashen Wolves. Awesome stats, but has the worst skill list in the game and is forced into classes that make no use of his speed (his best asset). Congrats, your utility trickster, dancer, or sniper that is using hunter's volley all the time is fast.

Basileus777 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 22, 2020

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lysithea has no chill. She had her Major Crest activate on a crit and just absolutely evaporated some poor fucker with 139 damage. Forget Byleth being some mystical chosen one Lysithea is a Goddess of Explosions.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do cooking bonuses stack or overwrite each other

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do cooking bonuses stack or overwrite each other

They stack, the stats with bonuses are in blue in the stats screen so it's easy to verify.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Basileus777 posted:

Constance has a more useful niche than Hapi, who is a Linhardt with a worse skill spread (ie she's a worse healer and supporter), but better attack spells and class options. Hapi's personal is one of the worst in the game, it's actually a liability because you don't want her targeted by monsters and the damage bonus is not helpful when she gets seraphim anyway.

Yuri's the real disappointment when it comes to the Ashen Wolves. Awesome stats, but has the worst skill list in the game and is forced into classes that make no use of his speed (his best asset). Congrats, your utility trickster, dancer, or sniper that is using hunter's volley all the time is fast.

Yuri being a jack of all trades was enough for me to take him on most missions. He can dodge tank in a forest, he can eat an attack if he needs to, he can get crits if you give him a rapier or killing edge, and with his relic he can help move up units that are lagging behind.

I fed a lot of levels to both Hapi and Constance and both of them were utterly disappointing. I don't think either of them doubled a single enemy (even armored units!), they were more fragile than even Lysithea, and they were barely beating her in resistance. It's possible I just got screwed on RNG but they were pretty useless.

Balthus was pretty good but that's probably more down to gauntlets than him.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Basileus777 posted:

Yuri's the real disappointment when it comes to the Ashen Wolves. Awesome stats, but has the worst skill list in the game and is forced into classes that make no use of his speed (his best asset).
Who's forcing him into any classes?

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Who's forcing him into any classes?

His skill banes in axes, spears, riding, and flying. Yeah, a male unit with a mediocre spell list kept out of bow knight, wyvern classes, and warmaster is gimped. The remaining classes don't even take advantage of best attribute, speed.

And anyone can use fetters, it's not a bonus to Yuri.

Basileus777 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 22, 2020

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Basileus777 posted:

His skill banes in axes, spears, riding, and flying. Yeah, a male unit with a mediocre spell list kept out of bow knight, wyvern classes, and warmaster is gimped. The remaining classes don't even take advantage of best attribute, speed.

Assassin is a good class that loves having a ton of speed.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Basileus777 posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your reasoning, but for Yuri, the aegis/pavise combo granted by fetters is actually a whole lot more relevant than it is in the case of the thyrsus or the whatever gem. I would not take it off him if you're using him actively.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Amppelix posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your reasoning, but for Yuri, the aegis/pavise combo granted by fetters is actually a whole lot more relevant than it is in the case of the thyrsus or the whatever gem. I would not take it off him if you're using him actively.

I initially let him have the fetters, but after putting them on my dancer, Ferdinand, I didn't look back. Having the ability to dance and then get into position was just too good.

Of course, Yuri could be your dancer dodge tank. He'd probably be one of the best choices, but since I was on CF I already had Ferdinand and nobody can beat his personal skill for that.

Yuri was great for me early on and kind of fell off later. I think he would have done better if instead of trickster I made him an assassin. The art wasn't that useful alongside dance or without his relic, and he really could have used swordfaire.

Edit:

Basileus777 posted:

Congrats, your utility trickster, dancer, or sniper that is using hunter's volley all the time is fast.

Actually I absolutely do want a fast character as dancer. I have found that dodge tank dancers are way more useful than more caster-focused ones. High speed is critical for that role.

Genovera fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 22, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
My hapi is pretty speed screwed, but it doesn't matter when she is hitting people reliably from out of range so no counterattacks. Banshee has been especially useful for crowd control. Constance is doubling reliably. I'm... Most of the way through the DLC I think? I have not yet tried them in the main campaign.

As for Yuri's learning weaknesses- someone mathed it out a while back, and it's totally doable to drag any character up through their weaknesses, enough to qualify them for a master class, without giving them extra attention even, so it's not terribly damning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yuri's seriously geared for the early game. Good base stats, important high growth in speed which is important when everyone is doubling most of your team.

Unfortunate flaws as the game goes on, his demerits mean he's slower to get to the good skills/classes, and his HP is absurdly lovely. He becomes a fragile glass canon when the speedster characters like Felix/Petra/Ingrid are filling in at that point.