Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

I'm a wife's dream come true. She can have whatever she wants. I bring in money and she's really stupid and I still have pocket change left after buying ships.

*wild economic downturn occurs

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Space Ships $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me convince my wife she is a bitch

Honestly it looks like this rotten bastard is ripping Chris Roberts off by $1300 he's spending on bullshit items that aren't Internet dlc space ships and space ship skins.

This guy better feel like terrible and like Derek smart because his butt is going on the old kill on sight list for this travesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

:lol:

The day old Clifford hits $100k in total spending, I’m going to throw a giant party. It’s gratifying to me to know that fools and their money are getting parted. I hope he’s really digging deep to help CIG get by during this tough time.

The day he hits 100k, He is going to throw a giant party.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

It’s still amazing how this thread underestimates the spending habits of the sunk cost fallacy gang since YEARS. We mock the Cult for the denial while many Goons are still in denial as well when it’s about doubting the funding.

I am reading many German forums and threads and you find so many gamer dads with disposable income and that logic:
“Star Citizen will be the BDSSE and I bought 2-4 full price games every month for my consoles/PC and I had so many IAP for my mobile games as well and steam sales with games I did not even install before SC!
NOW I am spending that 2000-5000 Euro/Dollar every year to keep the dream alive and collect my ships !”

Just add the event and anniversary sales etc and you still don’t believe there are several thousands of delusional idiots that are still pumping THOUSANDS of Euro/Dollar into this?
Every loving year! As long as they need to. They won’t stop. Every new fake trailer restores their faith. These guys are proud to support the most open game development ever with their macro transactions.
a lot of those same guys were heavy into bitcoin/stocks and fancied themselves captains of digital currency every time they bought a new shiny thing on the CIG store

"I can just cash out if things get tough" is now showing to be complete poo poo unless you want to take a bath on your "investment" that will most likely get you scammed anyway

watching them scramble on the back channels trying desperately to sell these worthless things is a sight to behold

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=binIwKH0crI

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

colonelwest posted:

In the new JPEG economy, you’ll only need a gaming PC and an internet connection. The rest of your life will take place entirely in the ‘Verse.

Yup, just buy some of Jim Bakker's food buckets and you'll have all you need!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

TheAgent posted:

a lot of those same guys were heavy into bitcoin/stocks and fancied themselves captains of digital currency every time they bought a new shiny thing on the CIG store

"I can just cash out if things get tough" is now showing to be complete poo poo unless you want to take a bath on your "investment" that will most likely get you scammed anyway

watching them scramble on the back channels trying desperately to sell these worthless things is a sight to behold

I thought about that as well and wonder what and when every each one of them meets their point of no return or just stops “investing” (lol, I unironically argued with some of them who called buying jpegs an investment 😂) . There will be the end of the funding road, but the Cult desperately wants at least to get their hands on SQ42.
Forget the PTU and other stretchgoals. SQ42 will be their dusk (or dawn vice versa) and proof that we and Derek were wrong.
CIG might have 2 years left, 2020 and 2021. I expect the funding keeping the SQ42 dream alive for another 20-24 months until they realize a commercial release can’t even match the last Mass Effect experience from a decade ago and they quit by dragging it to dev death.
The black/grey market panic sales will start sooner, no doubt.

And it will be glorious :allears:

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 20, 2020

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

trucutru posted:

The day he hits 100k, He is going to throw a giant party.

On his capital ship.
The party size might be limited by server restrictions, so enter the bidding war with your UEC to participate!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

The black/grey market panic sales will start sooner, no doubt.

And it will be glorious :allears:
they already have

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Faith restored on the sub...

Some ‘garish under review’ concept art and that spinny wheel UI for selecting crouch seems to have done it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSZiOxyVGmI

Lando seems to be taking structural dysfunction in his stride too

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
*PARTY TIME*

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

TheAgent posted:

they already have

I guess it’s a very indifferent community because a German Star Citizen for Newbies/Beginners video is at 20k views. They are catching so many fools every week, it’s absurd.

So you got the guys who are seeking liquidation and guys who ask how to spend their first hundreds of dollars (“hey what’s the best Allrounder Ship for 500 bucks that can explore and fight?”).
This fiasco of a project won’t stop delivering :anime:

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Hav posted:

As scruffpuff pointed out, the NSAIDs could be making things worse, so stick with acetaminophen.

Yeah, paracetamol isn't a NSAID but should only be taken in recommended dosages to avoid severe liver damage, even if it's hard to straight up die from it immediately following an overdose.

Unless I'm missing your point entirely. Sorry =V

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

Well I guess I'll just stay home and celebrate by seeing nobody at all and being alone! Just like every normal day these days! :3

Thank you for serving your country. Your sacrifice will not go unnoticed.

Pixelate posted:

posted:
There's another one of those lovely 'Don't tell my wife' / 'She spends the same on shoes anyway' threads on the sub...

This is the reason star citizen sells, it sells an idea of escape. People with nothing to do and no proper game to play and with a heavy dose of sunk cost fallacy, will just keep buying up ships! Investment! Hedging against the stock market!

TheAgent posted:

I'm deffo leaning to Option 3: Everything is Made Up and the Numbers Don't Matter

it will be especially apparent after what happens in April funding tracker wise

The numbers sure are hosed. However it could be that the automation that pulls the data from the cash management process got stuck, or they deal with the data ETLs once a week.

Comedy option: Star Citizens sitting at home twiddling their thumbs and buying more jpgs .

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

The Titanic posted:

Every major package being sold has been me all along. :)

Well, that sure explains why the project is sinking.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
HOLY gently caress DOOM ETERNAL HAS FLYABLE SPACE SHIPS, CHRIS ROBERTS IS FUUUUUCKED!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Doom Eternal is like a gift from the game gods compared to Stur Citizeen.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently the Elite Community Meet this year is cancelled/postponed and in its place they are having a virtual meetup.

https://elitecommunitymeet.info/ecm-2020-postponement/

My suggestion is they all meet up inside Star Ctizen as a show of solidarity between ED and SC.

They could call it Trading Viruses for Bugs.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

HOLY gently caress DOOM ETERNAL HAS FLYABLE SPACE SHIPS, CHRIS ROBERTS IS FUUUUUCKED!

FUD!

Doom Eternal has been made in just 4 years with a publisher behind it …. that makes it only as good as a 1 year Chris Roberts game.

Bet they did not even motion capture real daemons for it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Pixelate posted:

Funding tracker explained! The sub Q&A is full of new players, returning veterans, you name it...

It’s a perfect storm, as my gal Jade likes to say...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

It’s a perfect storm, as my gal Jade likes to say...

Can’t sustain anything on old salt.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And here I am getting another loan from Tom Nook.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This poo poo is not going to be pretty

quote:

I've been a backer since 2015. Right now my situation is dire and my family needs emergency funds. I need to liquidate my ships or my account (preferred). SC was my dream game but my family is in need and more important. I only hope I can come back to it again one day, maybe when its out of alpha. Anyways, I can give you screenshots and any proof you need from my account of all the ships/flairs. I paid for a years worth of subscription already with a unused 20% Imperator Discount code (Got the sub in dec 2019 so a full years left...usable with any cash upgrade or purchase of a ship). I have a ton of flairs and upgrades (also a lot more in buybacks section) and CCUs. In total my account is worth exactly $4,150 in melt value (much more if you factor in the years worth of subscription flairs and the savings you get from the Scoundrel and UEE pack - Worth well over $6,000+). I am not expecting to get what I paid for back, but I am hoping to get at least $3000 or OBO.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pixelate posted:

This cant be right. Jpgs were guaranteed to only go up in value.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That man should be flogged!

Star Citizen isn't a loving bank! You should not be allowed to sell your account or get a refund!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

fyi anyone buying/selling JPGs at this point is going to get scammed and their accounts locked, including a wonderful PayPal dispute (which can also get locked, especially if the scammers account is trading internationally)

if you have ships and are trying to free up some cash for this pandemic, you're more than likely putting yourself at more financial risk, especially if it involves real money accounts that could potentially be locked down

people are already reporting this is happening to them, so if someone is offering 60% or higher for your ships right now, it's most likely a scam. there's people desperately trying to get rid of stuff at 30% or less of the total account value and are finding zero buyers

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also I guess I just don't sleep anymore.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and btw financial institutions are going to be flooded with this kind of poo poo and any response might take weeks or months since people are reducing staff left and right in record numbers. your money will be completely locked down for the duration of their investigation and you will not be able to access it.

be safe out there and more importantly be smart

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 20, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

and btw financial institutions are going to be flooded with this kind of poo poo and any response might take weeks or months since people are reducing staff left and right in record numbers. your money will be completely locked down for the duration of their investigation and you will not be able to access it.

be safe out there and more importantly be smart

Be smart, Derek Smart

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

and more importantly be smart

I don't think i have it in me to write a July Blog.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That man should be flogged!

Star Citizen isn't a loving bank! You should not be allowed to sell your account or get a refund!

I do hope the faithful backers are reminding that poster of this fact.

Bonus points if that poster was someone who said this to other people.

Meanwhile, over in cloud-cuckoo land, someone asked if they should get SC and here is the top response

quote:

The staff is defiantly not sketchy, in no other have development do you get the behind the scenes and constant updates from all the developers like we do in SC. In fact most long time backers can probably name a good majority of staff by memory, that's the relationship that they have established with the community. From Chris Roberts down to the support techs one thing is clear, they want to do what's never been done before and see this vision come to life. Some have even turned down opportunities to work on bigger projects with I'm sure more pay just to see this project through.

Now as for the game, it's still in alpha so it's not a game. Instead of waiting 10 years with minor updates here and there (gta6, elder scrolls 6) Chris wanted the community to be apart of the development, so as they make progress and add new things, we get to try it out, give feedback, and make it better. Honestly if this does finish and I do believe it will within the next few years max, it's going to be one of the most polished MMOs ever to launch as it's been bug tested and balanced since 2014. Where the game is at in it's current state? Well we've seen alot of progress in the last two years, it might not be in the form of content but as for stability, back end services, and procedural generation, it seems the bridge is nearly built so that the team can bring in the heavy equipment and flesh out the content. One thing to remember is that the team is essentially making two games at the same time, one game we get constant updates and see the progress made quarterly, the other is behind closed doors not to spoil the game given its a single player campaign.

Should you get it? For $45 you get your own spaceship to call your own, you can outfit it with new weapons and components, visit diverse planets and moons, explore caves, visit a number of major cities and space stations, do missions including bounty hunting, deliveries, comm hacking, a few mission trees, trade, and earn money in game to buy other ships without having to drop another dime. One of the big things we got recently was persistence, prior to this all progress, money, and ships purchased was wiped after a major patch. There's still a few bugs their working out but for many we've been able to keep the money, ships, and items purchased from patch to patch. We don't know if they will still preform occasional wipes or right before the game releases but hope is that if they do still have wipes it will be very spread out like 1 or 2 a year if that. And of course know that this is a alpha build so bugs will exist. The server may crash, your head might disappear. This is why we are apart of the development, they have a issue council where we can submit bugs so that they can fix and eliminate them.

Honestly being apart of the development of the most ambitious space MMO of all time, seeing how it's made, connecting with developers, and watching this game come together is well worth the $45 in fact I have alot of money invested in this game to help out and see it through. If you're expecting a finished game like elite and bugs/crashes bother you than I would wait. But theirs tons of fun to be had currently so the choice is yours.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agony Aunt posted:

I do hope the faithful backers are reminding that poster of this fact.

Bonus points if that poster was someone who said this to other people.

Meanwhile, over in cloud-cuckoo land, someone asked if they should get SC and here is the top response

So many letters when "No" was more than enough.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
All good grifts comes to an end

I sold gifs to Derek's blog for years

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

All good grifts comes to an end

I sold gifs to Derek's blog for years

Animated?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
In these trying times, please remember who saved PC Gaming.

Buy an Idris.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Depended whether his house was being repossessed that week.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AbstractNapper posted:

Epic Games?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AbstractNapper posted:

Unregulated gambling mechanics?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

Unregulated gambling mechanics?

In other gaming cancer news, the Division 2 expansion retroactively got rid of gearscore, the festering sore on gaming that I first saw in Destiny, but whose origins are currently unknown to me. The critical failure Ghost Recon Breakpoint has also introduced a mode that removes the rancid pus that is gearscore. Hopefully more follow suit and this horrific mechanic dies the agonizing death it truly deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
In these trying times, I'd like to make a couple of recommendations. 'The Boys' - Karl Urban's Laahndaan accent makes occasional 'voice coach' dips into speculation, but overall it's a fun 'what if' superman was a sadist with mommy issues.

On IFC at the moment, Matt Berry plays a flawed Victorian London policeman in 'Year of the Rabbit'. More an amuse bouche than a laugh-riot, its complete historical inaccuracy is offset by great performances. If you can find 'Toast of London' online anywhere, it's also recommended.

Amazon Prime video actually appears to carry a good number of MST3K and the entire Rifftrax catalog. If you're so inclined, these pair nicely with a warm duvet, a close friend and a good indica. Maintain that 6' separation, though.

AbstractNapper posted:

Buy an Idris.

An Idris, you say? Perhaps the time has come for investment in this plucky ship that stealths above it's weight and comes in punch? Is it possible to get one in Icefox Fur? Asking for a friend.

Serious question:
How long do you go stir crazy after you've assembled a bunch of robots out of Amazon packing boxes and ramen packets? It's fine though, Joe Scarborough told me to do it. Not sure what to do with all the pee, though.