Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I started an after tax 401k ROTH rollover through my job in 2018, and because Fidelity has retirement & investing tax forms in 2 separate places for some dumb reason I overlooked my 1099-R when filing 2018 taxes in March 2019. Can anyone confirm if I need to amend my 2018 taxes even if 1099-R box 2a taxable amount is $0? The rollover value of $2916 shows up on the amended 1040, but I'm not sure if that even matters if no taxes are owed. I just don't want to get 30 years down the road and owe a bunch of fees for a stupid oversight when I start withdrawing in retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Welp, turbotax seems to have correctly calculated my ESPP basis, unlike fuckin Jerry. Jerry is fired. After he fixes my return from last year which I now know he definitely messed up on, but the amount he was off wasn't enough to set off any alarm bells. This year he came up with a :stare: number.

To add a question: Do any of the "minor" (non-Intuit/H&R Block) tax prep companies have a good ESPP calculation system? I know the target numbers now and I would rather not pay Intuit to continue their quest against a sane tax return system.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

H110Hawk posted:

Welp, turbotax seems to have correctly calculated my ESPP basis, unlike fuckin Jerry. Jerry is fired. After he fixes my return from last year which I now know he definitely messed up on, but the amount he was off wasn't enough to set off any alarm bells. This year he came up with a :stare: number.

To add a question: Do any of the "minor" (non-Intuit/H&R Block) tax prep companies have a good ESPP calculation system? I know the target numbers now and I would rather not pay Intuit to continue their quest against a sane tax return system.

Can’t speak for TurboTax but on CreditKarma and FreeTaxUSA it was just a matter of plugging in the numbers and marking with uhhhhh option B which is incorrect basis reported.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am very pleased to announce that I've accepted a position in the IRS's communications division! I'm now producing (and frequently performing in, because budget) educational videos about tax compliance for posting to social media.

My first work is already out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCy9_DU8I4

(I promise that tie was an office in-joke, I don't normally wear it)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 15, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm showing $0.00 real estate taxes paid on my 1098. Last year we sold a home and bought a new home in November. I'm not sure if that's somehow changed how the real estate taxes are reported (or in this case - not reported) on the 1098 but I'm trying to determine if I need to get that number and/or have the mortgage companies re-send corrected forms because I feel like I'm missing a deduction or credit here.

Any help or thoughts on this?

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm showing $0.00 real estate taxes paid on my 1098. Last year we sold a home and bought a new home in November. I'm not sure if that's somehow changed how the real estate taxes are reported (or in this case - not reported) on the 1098 but I'm trying to determine if I need to get that number and/or have the mortgage companies re-send corrected forms because I feel like I'm missing a deduction or credit here.

Any help or thoughts on this?

Assuming you still had a mortgage on the home you sold, you're looking for two 1098s, one for the loan on the old house and one for the loan on the new house. Old loan's 1098 should show any taxes that were paid out of the old escrow. Check that closing disclosure to see if any already-paid taxes were allocated to your buyers in the sale. If you closed in November, it's likely that your escrow account for the new loan didn't pay any taxes in 2019. Check that closing disclosure to see if any already-paid taxes were allocated to you in the sale.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

urnisme posted:

Assuming you still had a mortgage on the home you sold, you're looking for two 1098s, one for the loan on the old house and one for the loan on the new house. Old loan's 1098 should show any taxes that were paid out of the old escrow. Check that closing disclosure to see if any already-paid taxes were allocated to your buyers in the sale. If you closed in November, it's likely that your escrow account for the new loan didn't pay any taxes in 2019. Check that closing disclosure to see if any already-paid taxes were allocated to you in the sale.

I'll dig that paperwork up hopefully tomorrow. I assume if the taxes are allocated to the buyers then they get to claim any tax break from them?

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'll dig that paperwork up hopefully tomorrow. I assume if the taxes are allocated to the buyers then they get to claim any tax break from them?

Yes

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The IRS has delayed the payment deadline to July 15 due to the coronavirus outbreak:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

we have not delayed the filing deadline. Please file your taxes before April 15th. See the site for details.

See below.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 20, 2020

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

As a accountant: thank god. I was dreading busy season just extending forever into the distance.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I got a 1099-B for an investment account that my grandparents set up for me a long time ago that I closed out in 2019. Should there also be an accompanying 1099-DIV or do I not get one since it's closed out?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 20, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Paul MaudDib posted:

I got a 1099-B for an investment account that my grandparents set up for me a long time ago that I closed out in 2019. Should there also be an accompanying 1099-DIV or do I not get one since it's closed out?

Unless you actually got dividends for the year, you don’t get one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

The IRS has delayed the payment deadline to July 15 due to the coronavirus outbreak:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

we have not delayed the filing deadline. Please file your taxes before April 15th. See the site for details.

Word is coming from the washington post that Mnuchin is now saying the filing deadline is also postponed to July. I've not heard anything official.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Discendo Vox posted:

Word is coming from the washington post that Mnuchin is now saying the filing deadline is also postponed to July. I've not heard anything official.

https://twitter.com/IRSnews/status/1241008572332466178

Not official official, but a tweet from the IRS twitter is a pretty good indication it'll happen.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

incogneato posted:

Not official official, but a tweet from the IRS twitter is a pretty good indication it'll happen.

Mind you the states may or may not delay filing deadlines, so be careful in that regard. On the other hand, if you want to really be safe filing extensions lets you push federal and state off until October if need be.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I have a question about business inventory. We took out a loan to buy a bunch of stuff in 2018, but not a all of it had sold by the end of the year. So because I have a bunch of COGS and not as much sales my income is stupidly low. Is there a way to offset that somehow? I can't compare inventory levels from beginning to the end of the year because this has never come up and that data is gone. Going forward we'll keep track where we are at each December 31st.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Discendo Vox posted:

I am very pleased to announce that I've accepted a position in the IRS's communications division! I'm now producing (and frequently performing in, because budget) educational videos about tax compliance for posting to social media.

That's awesome. You've joined a famous, even legendary team!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jW04WmOw7s

Do Three's Company next!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

incogneato posted:

Now official: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-20-18.pdf

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ceiling fan posted:

That's awesome. You've joined a famous, even legendary team!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jW04WmOw7s

Do Three's Company next!

God what

this is loving lavish, when on earth did we have the budget to do this? We've been recycling the same UNAX scenario clips for 30 years because we can't afford to take a camera offsite anymore

like, this is what we use to try to recruit people!

(I do not work in our comms division, if I did things would be much less dire there)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 21, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

(I do not work in our comms division, if I did things would be much less dire there)

Too bad. We are all now counting on you as well as holding you accountable for an entire government agency.

E: no pressure

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I get audited, I'm buying you the most annoying avatar.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

If I get audited, I'm buying you the most annoying avatar.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Avatar purchases for IRS goons do not qualify as an advance payment against liability.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Discendo Vox posted:

God what

this is loving lavish, when on earth did we have the budget to do this? We've been recycling the same UNAX scenario clips for 30 years because we can't afford to take a camera offsite anymore

I think your video production budget took a hit around 2012 when this and a few others started turning up in public. Now you know the faces of the people you can thank for having to run every project up to the commissioner and back for approval.

The video turned up as part of a government waste hunt after one of the GSA's divisions held an $800,000 conference in Las Vegas. So nobody was in a particularly understanding or forgiving mood.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to do a Gilligan's Island sketch ofc, but my god we could have better scripts, actors, and visuals than the pseudo-powerpoints we've currently got.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't think crappy videos are necessarily a bug.

Crappy production value signals to people that it's all business and frugal. Sure you might have some talented amateur writers/actors/etc but anything beyond that, you court suspicion (fairly or not) that resources are mismanaged.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

God what

Hey, they came out with a new UNAX clip a few years ago. It was the talk of the town. It was the one with the woman checking up on her baby daddy's refund.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0RebubZ3f4

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Funny the stupid things that stand out in your brain, mine immediately went "I'd be in trouble if I left that much paperwork with SSNs on it out on my desk". Granted the occasions when I'm working on something and people suddenly dump another client on me make the place look like a paper explosion, but at a certain point I expect to triage and lock stuff up to finish later. Also can't really buy the charity notion given how many I ask who say "I dunno how much I gave, let's just leave it off since I can't find the receipt anyway". Though the opposite end with people who save those receipts showing a $3 contribution with their purchase somewhere are somewhat amusing (especially when they don't have near enough stuff to even consider itemizing). Only real charity annoyances are the lots of physical item donation types; Form 8283 drives me insane to fill out in job lots, especially when they give everything to the same place and I try not to confuse entries. I have the local Goodwill address memorized from typing it so much. On my crazier days going through about 15+ entries I'm half-tempted to substitute "Looted" for "Purchased" for "how acquired" on a few entries in the middle and see if anyone notices. I suppose for real honesty I shouldn't put "Thrift Shop Value" down for how FMV was calculated, more like "Best guess using those crappy price sheets they hand out which don't cover half the things the client gave". It ain't the sale of home that worries me when clients move, it's how many items they donate to avoid having to move them...

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

MadDogMike posted:

I suppose for real honesty I shouldn't put "Thrift Shop Value" down for how FMV was calculated, more like "Best guess using those crappy price sheets they hand out which don't cover half the things the client gave".

Hey, now, I spend real time working my way through the Sharper Image website finding the closest equivalent item and multiplying by 0.99, because I take care of my poo poo. Really, I ought to get some kind of reimbursement for the amount of time I take making sure the government knows how I've done all the things that helps society, and why I don't have to pay nearly as much as those other slackers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

Funny the stupid things that stand out in your brain, mine immediately went "I'd be in trouble if I left that much paperwork with SSNs on it out on my desk". Granted the occasions when I'm working on something and people suddenly dump another client on me make the place look like a paper explosion, but at a certain point I expect to triage and lock stuff up to finish later. Also can't really buy the charity notion given how many I ask who say "I dunno how much I gave, let's just leave it off since I can't find the receipt anyway". Though the opposite end with people who save those receipts showing a $3 contribution with their purchase somewhere are somewhat amusing (especially when they don't have near enough stuff to even consider itemizing). Only real charity annoyances are the lots of physical item donation types; Form 8283 drives me insane to fill out in job lots, especially when they give everything to the same place and I try not to confuse entries. I have the local Goodwill address memorized from typing it so much. On my crazier days going through about 15+ entries I'm half-tempted to substitute "Looted" for "Purchased" for "how acquired" on a few entries in the middle and see if anyone notices. I suppose for real honesty I shouldn't put "Thrift Shop Value" down for how FMV was calculated, more like "Best guess using those crappy price sheets they hand out which don't cover half the things the client gave". It ain't the sale of home that worries me when clients move, it's how many items they donate to avoid having to move them...

tbh I love charitable contribution cases, they're really fast and straightforward 99% of the time. But there's definitely a lot of incorrect practices on them out there, especially with documenting value of donated objects. No, the door hanger where you made up a number for value isn't adequate, Mr. taxpayer. Those weren't $5,000 dollars of tshirts you donated to goodwill.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
My wife and I accidentally over-contributed to our Roth IRAs for 2019. I just called Vanguard and had them recharacterized to Trad contributions. Does this mean I can just report them as Non-Deductible Traditional contributions on form 8606 for 2019?

We both had no or zero-balance Trad IRAs on Dec. 31, 2019 and have not done any recharactsrizations or conversions before, although we did backdoor Roth for 2020 already this year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I do a max contribution in January to a traditional IRA.
A couple days later when it settles, I do a conversion to Roth IRA to make it a backdoor contribution.

For my 2018 and 2019 taxes, two different CPAs both listed the full $6xxx (original $6k + gains over the few days before I convert) as taxable income. Am I going crazy, or am I just supposed to be taxed on the gains between the traditional contribution and the conversion? I'm like 98% sure I'm right, but 2 different CPAs have done the same thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I do a max contribution in January to a traditional IRA.
A couple days later when it settles, I do a conversion to Roth IRA to make it a backdoor contribution.

For my 2018 and 2019 taxes, two different CPAs both listed the full $6xxx (original $6k + gains over the few days before I convert) as taxable income. Am I going crazy, or am I just supposed to be taxed on the gains between the traditional contribution and the conversion? I'm like 98% sure I'm right, but 2 different CPAs have done the same thing.

Is your AGI too high to contribute post-tax dollars to a traditional IRA? If so, they are doing it right.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

Is your AGI too high to contribute post-tax dollars to a traditional IRA? If so, they are doing it right.

There's no income limit for a traditional IRA contribution, right?
I'm not looking to deduct my traditional contribution, I'm just looking for the traditional --> Roth conversion to not get taxed on the whole balance, just the gains, which is how I understand it works.

I'm backdooring the Roth because yes, my AGI is too high for a direct Roth contribution.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not looking to deduct my traditional contribution, I'm just looking for the traditional --> Roth conversion to not get taxed on the whole balance, just the gains, which is how I understand it works.

I'm backdooring the Roth because yes, my AGI is too high for a direct Roth contribution.
Are you saying that you think you can put pre-tax income in a roth IRA via a backdoor IRA? Or you are getting double taxed on a non-deductible IRA contribution?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

mystes posted:

Are you saying that you think you can put pre-tax income in a roth IRA via a backdoor IRA? Or you are getting double taxed on a non-deductible IRA contribution?
It's only pre-tax if you take the deduction on your taxes, though. It sounds like they're describing the latter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No, but there are income limits and other pitfalls on that contribution being pre-tax.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/ira-contribution-limits

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mystes posted:

Sorry, I wasn't specific. This is all post-tax action.

Here's what I did:
- Post-tax, non-deductible contribution of $6000 into Traditional IRA.
- Trad IRA gains $200 over the course of a few days.
- Converted $6200 Trad IRA balance (same # of shares I bought with the original contribution) to Roth IRA.

This should result in me only being taxed on the $200 gains, and not the whole $6200 "distribution," correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Sobriquet posted:

My wife and I accidentally over-contributed to our Roth IRAs for 2019. I just called Vanguard and had them recharacterized to Trad contributions. Does this mean I can just report them as Non-Deductible Traditional contributions on form 8606 for 2019?

We both had no or zero-balance Trad IRAs on Dec. 31, 2019 and have not done any recharactsrizations or conversions before, although we did backdoor Roth for 2020 already this year.

Uh, word of warning, if you have any traditional IRAs, doing a backdoor Roth later on is going to have tax impacts. Called the Pro Rata rule, pretty good explanation here as to the consequences.

Motronic posted:

Uh, that doesn't make any sense, by their very nature non-deductible contributions to a traditional IRA don't care about your AGI, you aren't taking any benefit on them. Only other limit I can think of is if you don't have the earned income to contribute, but unless you're a trust fund person I don't see that generally causing issues. Unless there's something I'm missing I'm pretty sure Zetterberg is right that only the gains should be taxable not the non-deductible contributions, unless for some reason the CPAs were taking the trad IRA deduction on the contributions before doing the Roth conversion on 8606. Which admittedly they might be, backdoor Roth is one of those relatively rare things that a less informed preparer might be making mistakes with (God knows my first one I researched VERY carefully to ensure I did the 8606 right). I'd have to see the actual forms probably to be sure what was going on though.