Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Guillermus posted:

Nightdive's Sin Gold question: Does it come with any fix or improvement over the releases we had on GOG and Steam?

quote:

Hello everyone!

A new update for SiN is available now! SiN has now become SiN: Gold and comes with the following changes and enhancements:

Features
Added 2015's "Wages of SiN" expansion
Added modernized Steam master server support
Added and restored editing SDK
Added support for additional 16:9 video resolutions
Restored/uncensored various original game assets

General Improvements
Optimizations to math, container types, and search algorithms
Restored support for *.sin pack files, re-packed assets
Removed obsolete IPX networking support
Restored original sound and music engine
Changed video format to open-source/patent-free OGV/Theora

Fixes
Fixed crash in Docks cinematic
Fixed incorrect behavior in Thug AI
Fixed undefined camera position and occasional crash in Wages of SiN ending cinematic
r_palettemode cvar for software mode now reads and writes correct configuration variable
Fixed memory corruption issue during multiplayer initialization
cl_maxfps default changed to 200 to avoid issues with game running too fast
Repaired issue with extremely loud sounds on menu screens when FPS is too high
Fixed possible soft lock when using menu hotkeys while inside an in-game computer console
Restored missing assets for Beecadrone enemy

To celebrate this update, we have a -20% off offer running for a week! So now the best time to grab the latest version, either for yourself or for a friend!

Enjoy the update and let us know what you think!

Cheers,
Daniel,
Nightdive Studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Looks like it's a completely free update to SiN on Steam if you already owned it, as well, which is nice.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
SiN update: I am halfway through level two and have already heard 12 Barney Miller references, also Blade has happily exclaimed he is "cleaning up the gene pool"

Gonna have to pull out my old PC Zone Elexis Sinclaire 1999 calendar for the peak 90's experience

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GUI posted:

They make multiple "offended?" tier jokes and I'm waiting for the poor soul in gaming journalism who makes note of it and gets harassed by angry nerds.

Can you go into more detail?

e: like you make it sound like it's intentional chud poo poo and someone else is saying it's a parody of corporate wokeness and I don't know which one of you is right but I, too, am so tired.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 19, 2020

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Looks like it's a completely free update to SiN on Steam if you already owned it, as well, which is nice.

Well yeah, this was litteraly just a patch. We weren't going to make anybody pay for that. :v:
That's why it briefly vanished from peoples libraries as we tried to wrangle the fairly old app id and it's legacy settings.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I was just thinking it'd be great if Nightdive gave Thief Gold / 2 their remaster treatment, but then thought is there anything that needs to be done that the semi-official TFix hasn't already done?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I was just thinking it'd be great if Nightdive gave Thief Gold / 2 their remaster treatment, but then thought is there anything that needs to be done that the semi-official TFix hasn't already done?

Thief 2 with raytracing would really be something, although it would probably completely gently caress up the current shadow system.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

JerryLee posted:

e: like you make it sound like it's intentional chud poo poo and someone else is saying it's a parody of corporate wokeness and I don't know which one of you is right but I, too, am so tired.

it's something much worse than intentional chud poo poo: not funny

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Convex posted:

Thief 2 with raytracing would really be something, although it would probably completely gently caress up the current shadow system.
With the original models and textures? Thanks, I'll be dreaming of beautifully-lit Hammerites tonight.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

JerryLee posted:

Sarcasm and irony are dead in today's hellworld.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cant wait to find out that SiN hardcrashing everytime a grenade explodes isnt a SiN issue but my never ending Gaming Curse

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Speaking of SiN, apparently the GOG version of the game is supposed to get the update as well, but the download currently is of the previous version. I dunno if it's a thing where GOG Galaxy has it now but the offline backup installer is still behind or what (I don't use GOG Galaxy so I have no idea how that works)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

With the original models and textures? Thanks, I'll be dreaming of beautifully-lit Hammerites tonight.

And the scariest spiders in all of videogames

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Given that Doom Eternal's roughly two hours away from launching, it might be best to consolidate discussion of it in its own thread in the main Games forum.

In the meantime, here's a big new Quake 1 map: Castle Zanthu.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

Speaking of SiN, apparently the GOG version of the game is supposed to get the update as well, but the download currently is of the previous version. I dunno if it's a thing where GOG Galaxy has it now but the offline backup installer is still behind or what (I don't use GOG Galaxy so I have no idea how that works)

We can only push updates to GOG Galaxy. The offline installer is only updated when GOG themselves get around to it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's six minutes of the new bits of Doom 64 with a nausea-inducing FOV setting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_O2OMIwto

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Why did they
What
I

What

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
have they said how many new levels there are for 64? gonna guess 8/9 if its a new episode?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Rocket Pan posted:

Why did they
What
I

What

Death of the author, baby

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Death of the author, baby

Death of sensible settings in published materials, more like it.

At least it's not like that time someone set their FOV to 179 and the complained on the Steam forums that everything was super zoomed out. That's progress I guess.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I usually play at 110 :shrug:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Why did they
What
I

What

Apologies if you're under NDA on this one, but will the Steam version be DRM-free like the other ND remasters? (e.g. Strife, Turok 1-2, Blood)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Convex posted:

Apologies if you're under NDA on this one, but will the Steam version be DRM-free like the other ND remasters? (e.g. Strife, Turok 1-2, Blood)

In so much as there's nothing explicitly blocking it from starting if Steam/the Internet suddenly stops working, I guess. The code has evolved a lot however, I couldn't tell you what would happen if Steam wasn't installed.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Good god nightdive / rocketpan please do a remaster of Thief 2 with raytracing. I haven’t ever even thought of that idea but holy hell I want it so badly now.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Wouldn't that be a hhuuugggeee amount of work with how the gameplay is connected to the lighting?

It's not the same as slapping it onto Quake 2. The aliens didn't give a poo poo.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

In so much as there's nothing explicitly blocking it from starting if Steam/the Internet suddenly stops working, I guess. The code has evolved a lot however, I couldn't tell you what would happen if Steam wasn't installed.

Oh that's great, thanks! Blood and Strife worked perfectly off a USB drive which is all I'm hoping for really :)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I can't play any FPS above 90 degrees FOV because it's clear that the developers never modeled the first person arms/weapons to be viewed like that, so they get distorted, or look lanky, or take up too much of the screen, or the worst, you can see the missing faces the devs took out to save processor load that the player would never see if they didn't have a messed up FOV. :argh:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Not only that but most old fps sprites are based around 4:3 viewing and just clip off in 16:9 :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

SiN update

Thanks mate! Time to reinstall and give it a proper go.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Convex posted:

Oh that's great, thanks! Blood and Strife worked perfectly off a USB drive which is all I'm hoping for really :)

I just gave it a test. Launching from .exe invokes steam to boot up, then it attempts to connect to bnet before it'll let you into the main menu, though it isn't required to play.

Also, changing keybinds works fine but isn't reflected in the keybind menu. Everything continues to show default controls. Also again, where is nightmare difficulty?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Here's six minutes of the new bits of Doom 64 with a nausea-inducing FOV setting

"The Lost Levels"? Are they really called like this? It makes it sound like they're reheated levels that were found on the cutting room floor; instead of something brand-new. The map shown looks pretty cool, which isn't a surprise.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

treat posted:

I just gave it a test. Launching from .exe invokes steam to boot up, then it attempts to connect to bnet before it'll let you into the main menu, though it isn't required to play.

Also, changing keybinds works fine but isn't reflected in the keybind menu. Everything continues to show default controls. Also again, where is nightmare difficulty?

Thanks! Wonder if it's one of those cases where you can put a text file in the directory and it doesn't try to launch Steam? If not I might just wait to see if it gets a GOG release.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
used the old password to get to the last level in doom 64 to unlock the lost levels, port is pretty nice so far. looks fantastic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can you turn on free aim in the PC version? It bugs me more than it should not to have it

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Fallom posted:

Can you turn on free aim in the PC version? It bugs me more than it should not to have it

The levels were designed with the assumption that the player pitch was static, various elevated shoots switches and specifically designed level geometry. As such it has to remain like that, no freelook.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

An option for cosmetic vertical look would be nice for comfort reasons, even if it doesn't allow for aiming higher or lower.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I'm finding the controls to be just a bit off feeling, for some reason. Turning with the mouse is okay most of the time, but will randomly just start spinning infinitely, and even with smoothing and such turned off it still doesn't feel accurate to mouse movement. And sometimes the game just drops movement inputs on the WASD keys, and while there's a possibility that might just be me hitting the keyboard's simultaneous key limit, it's something that never happens when I play the last 20 years or so of Doom wads.

Maybe I'm just missing some settings somewhere?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom 64>Doom 5

I got killed on the first map because muscle memory said I could tap the dpad and shoulder buttons to get to the chainsaw but theyre bound differently. Then I fixed the bindings how I like and all was forgiven. Still odd that spring is a full on/off toggle only by default.

Hectic is a pleasant and easy map, I only died like 5 times misjudging where I was on that platform rocket dueling the knights.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Cat Mattress posted:

"The Lost Levels"? Are they really called like this? It makes it sound like they're reheated levels that were found on the cutting room floor; instead of something brand-new. The map shown looks pretty cool, which isn't a surprise.

It's not the first time they've named stuff like that, since the Doom 3 BFG expansion was called The Lost Mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

An option for cosmetic vertical look would be nice for comfort reasons, even if it doesn't allow for aiming higher or lower.

That only covers half of the problem that I mentioned. The level geometry still has some design limits.