Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Danaru posted:

Going back to Dead Rising 2, back when I was recording the game most guides said to forget about trying to fight most early psychopaths or trying to save everyone until new game+, but they didn't take into account that you could create a survivor death squad by handing out rifles, telling them to wait somewhere safe, then just dodge-tanking the psychopaths while your squad rained hell on the boss :allears: I managed to save everybody this way on a new game, and even had some points on day 3 where there was literally nothing to do for a while. The game manages to actually be pretty generous with the timers without feeling like it.

In DR1 I'm pretty sure the survivors didn't use ammo for items, so the easiest way to get a bunch back at once without anyone getting Romero'd was to hand them all pistols, then direct the group to the middle of a crowd. They'd all run together in a little circle, get to the marker, start shooting, and wipe out all the zombies while you strolled on behind mopping up survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nuebot posted:

Also you were wearing his son's face the whole time.

"C-could I have that back, just...just to remember him with?"
*Link just morphs into his son, then runs off and warps away to Hyrule*

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

darkwasthenight posted:

In DR1 I'm pretty sure the survivors didn't use ammo for items, so the easiest way to get a bunch back at once without anyone getting Romero'd was to hand them all pistols, then direct the group to the middle of a crowd. They'd all run together in a little circle, get to the marker, start shooting, and wipe out all the zombies while you strolled on behind mopping up survivors.

DR2 did the same thing, they didn’t use ammo so you wouldn’t get boned by bad survivor ammo management. They still kind of suck with guns until you hit a critical mass of survivors where they can really cover each other, but once they do, hooo boy.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

darkwasthenight posted:

The problem with that is you wind up losing more people to friendly fire than you do to zombies. They can use guns but they aren't particularly good or careful.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just beaten the PS2 Kim Possible game What's the Switch. It's short but fun, and while getting through the levels themselves isn't too hard the main difficulty seems that it's going to be getting all of the items in each level to unlock costumes and secret missions to play and stuff. There are a lot of hidden areas and more complicated sidepaths.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I have just discovered that Granblue Fantasy Versus' requisite 'weird unpredictable joker' character (think Ginyu in Dragon Ball FighterZ, Faust in Guilty Gear, Teddie in Persona 4 Arena) is a trio of dipshits hanging out at a bar, bullshitting about how they could TOTALLY beat all these legendary heroes.

I'm not even exaggerating, that's their framing device: their victory screen is cutting from the fight to that bar, where they talk about how that's definitely what'd happen if they actually did have to fight.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cleretic posted:

I have just discovered that Granblue Fantasy Versus' requisite 'weird unpredictable joker' character (think Ginyu in Dragon Ball FighterZ, Faust in Guilty Gear, Teddie in Persona 4 Arena) is a trio of dipshits hanging out at a bar, bullshitting about how they could TOTALLY beat all these legendary heroes.

I'm not even exaggerating, that's their framing device: their victory screen is cutting from the fight to that bar, where they talk about how that's definitely what'd happen if they actually did have to fight.

This implies that when someone else fights them and wins, it's the real outcome, and when they fight someone and win, it's all in their heads. I can't decide if that's sad or hilarious.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
They’ve had three events in granblue proper that’s essentially them hanging out together at cafes and pubs and whatnot and all three of them are about them having various daydreams and poo poo. The most recent one a year or so ago had had one of the more uptight crew willingly join in because they wanted to know how to relax and hang out. It owns because they’re a bunch of dumb goobers who are good at heart and are quite good chefs as well, so most of the crew is happy to have them around in the kitchen. :3:

On the same subject it’s kind of wild how many of the trappings of GBF went into VS as well, down to the online coop requests being backup calls just like the raids.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cleretic posted:

This is the same character that has some kind of super move that replaces him with a gigantic lady, right?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, the giant lady is literally God, because they're so cool that God herself will intervene on their behalf.

(That may not actually be true, but I think it is)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
She’s a primal, which are basically sentient godlike super weapons made by an ancient race ages ago during a big war, so technically you’re right. One of the two support bros has a huge crush on her which is reason enough for her to show up on their daydreams :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There's better looking games overall, but I think the lighting used in MGSV is my favorite of any game. Something about the diffusion and highlights just gives it a beautiful, almost tangible & liquid feel, I often switch to playing missions at night just because it looks so nice.

e:

:hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Mar 18, 2020

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's better looking games overall, but I think the lighting used in MGSV is my favorite of any game. Something about the diffusion and highlights just gives it a beautiful, almost tangible & liquid feel, I often switch to playing missions at night just because it looks so nice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm playing a PAL-Only PS2 game right now, Realm of the Dead, that I made a small video of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCHQFIzB_MY

Something I really like is the blue areas which are behind weak walls that can be blown up, because they have little challenges that give you a preview of future harder enemies, small challenge fights to break up the common enemies that encourage you to use more advanced tactics, or at least getting you to use attack items like firebombs that otherwise wouldn't be necessary. The level after the one in the video had a neat enemy in it's only blue room who had an aura and flew around, and could fly extra high so that it could charge at you from above. I now know to look out for that enemy in later levels and how it fights and to look forward to fighting it again.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

e:

:hmmyes:

It is a very pretty game, and the Fox engine is pretty miraculous for drat fine visuals with relatively low hardware. For content, I just played through the quarantine mission towards the end and drat if the soldiers accepting Snake's judgement in the locked room didn't raise a little flicker of emotion in my jaded heart.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

tight aspirations posted:

It is a very pretty game, and the Fox engine is pretty miraculous for drat fine visuals with relatively low hardware.

It really is, I was shocked when I found out it was a cross-generation game. The last-gen version looks surprisingly good, accepting the limits on resolution and such - you notice a lot of finer details missing on animations/shadows/etc in a side-by-side comparison, but on its own it looks good too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tight aspirations posted:

It is a very pretty game, and the Fox engine is pretty miraculous for drat fine visuals with relatively low hardware. For content, I just played through the quarantine mission towards the end and drat if the soldiers accepting Snake's judgement in the locked room didn't raise a little flicker of emotion in my jaded heart.
I had a dream about that mission recently

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The soundtrack to Otogi is legit awesome, kind of a freaky mix of ambient electronica and traditional Japanese instruments.

The item shop track in particular owns bones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-K-dvCGYlU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So I got Distance on a recommendation (Its on sale now too) and while I love almost everything about it the little thing is somehow they managed eldritch horror In a game where you are a car and only a car. It also makes good use of the typically awful digital glitch where parts of a image just bleed across the screen because you are in the center and always pushing forward so it doesn't feel blinding in the very brief moments when it happens.

The game is really good and if you like going real fast and navigating a driving obstacle course than I really recommend taking a look at it or its free proof of concept that came before it, nitronic rush.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Zoig posted:

So I got Distance on a recommendation (Its on sale now too) and while I love almost everything about it the little thing is somehow they managed eldritch horror In a game where you are a car and only a car. It also makes good use of the typically awful digital glitch where parts of a image just bleed across the screen because you are in the center and always pushing forward so it doesn't feel blinding in the very brief moments when it happens.

The game is really good and if you like going real fast and navigating a driving obstacle course than I really recommend taking a look at it or its free proof of concept that came before it, nitronic rush.

When you really nail a flowing section it feels so drat good. The online multiplayer (pretty dead but whatever) has some good user made levels.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I never really got into Enter the Gungeon but the switch to arcade style platforming for Exit the Dungeon has me insanely, desperately hooked.

It's hard to single out one "little thing" as a favorite but I guess I'll mention that you're almost completely invulnerable when you're in the air, because you're not jumping - it's a vertical dodge-roll.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The levels in Realm of the Dead are getting fairly interesting, with chapter 3 having puzzles involving deactivating fire traps using increasingly complex combinations of floor buttons, and then a secret lab level with Resident Evil style gradually opening layout as you find small keys plus a big door that needs a couple of emblems to open. It's a really charming game, and unlocking the combos as I go on is making the combat more satisfying.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Nioh and Nioh 2 has a thing where if you keep attacking an enemy after they die, you start lopping off limbs. It’s a very Ninja Gaiden touch and visually cool, especially since low stance moves come out so quick you can really dice up some demons.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've had a few complaints about The Mummy Demastered, but overall it's a surprisingly solid metroidvania platformer. I like the touch that you don't have lives - when you get killed, your character is zombified and you get a new trooper who has to kill that old one to recollect all the health/weapon/ability upgrades. So as you progress, it turns into a stream of hapless new guys heading down into the catacombs to kill off their increasingly well-armed undead predecessors before eventually meeting the same fate themselves.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

increasingly well-armed undead predecessors

lol, I spoke too soon and now it's a complaint. Turns out that building a small zombie army in tight quarters at the end of a moderate gauntlet isnt' that fun to deal with!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

wrong thread

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Mar 20, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's a different thread for things you don't like in videogames

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

flatluigi posted:

there's a different thread for things you don't like in videogames

Forget it, Jake. It's PYF.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

doom

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
From watching a stream, Doom: Eternal is full of little things and loving touches, so I'll just say: everything in the Doomslayer's office.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There's a side mission in Nioh 2 where you are tasked with helping master ninja Hanzo Hattori care for his cats.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm so happy with doom eternal. its combat flow is really second to none; i've rarely played a game more intense and frenetic while still having a definite flow to how things go

it takes some time to really get used to your whole arsenal, but when you do, it's amazing. the ice grenade and flamethrower are great options that can't be underestimated.

also i love the bigger enemies that incentivize you to use your whole arsenal, like the first boss: use your plasma to break the shield, run up close and blast the treads with super shotgun hits. once he takes off, back off and pelt him with rockets. it really makes sure no weapon is forgotten or obsoleted and i love that

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Animal Crossing: everything. All of it.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Nostradingus posted:

Animal Crossing: everything. All of it.

I thought it was so nice that the trees rustle softly in the breeze now. I mean, what a thing to notice. :allears:

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

I absolutely love how Doom Eternal let's you fast travel to different parts of the map once you reach the end of a level. It's such a genius solution to letting you explore at your own pace without ruining the pace of action because you're too worried you're gonna miss a secret.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Realm of the Dead has a satisfying progression as in early levels you have fewer combos to work with so some enemies are tricky to deal with, and there are some optional fights in some levels with enemies from far later in hte game, like blowing up a wall in chapter 1-3 gets you in a fight with a type of wolf that the game won't make a regular enemy til chapter 4-1 or 5-3, so by the time you get to them being a regular enemy, your new attacks mean you can tear them to pieces compared to how hard they were earlier. Also the bosses have layered health meters, but they don't actually take that many hits to kill, each hit takes a chunk of the healthbar, so they aren't long enough to wear out their welcome, they are just long enough to pose a challenge.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In preparation for getting doom eternal ice decided to actually try doom again, which I bounced off hard since my old piece of poo poo PC couldn't handle it.

It's really good you guys. I feel betrayed for not playing it before. The whole heavy music with demons everywhere is great, and the weapon design is not joke the best I've ever seen. The weapons all seem hefty and badass, even the normal pistol and combat shotgun seem powerful and the later huge rear end weapons are just a delight.the upgrades are all worth it and make a huge difference too instead of "5 percent faster reload" that has gotten so common.

Can't wait to play eternal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Doom Eternal giving you a quick way to restore armor with the flamethrower is so good. When I die it feels like I wasn’t using all my abilities to the fullest instead of being frustrating, between that, the blood punch AOE, and the point of chainsaw fuel on a short cool down.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Doom 64 owns, I’ve never played it before but the levels are cool and the game tap dances along this knife edge of letting you feel like an invincible badass but also constantly making it seem like you could be overwhelmed by enemies around every corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Control: Holy poo poo the Ashtray Maze.