Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Can't wait to build an SSD NAS so I can play Witcher 4 without load screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you really think that you can't, take a look at this; show some side-by-side and also an interesting case where an environment is running at 60+ FPS but objects only updating at 30 FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqARHVWM0XE&t=180s

Edit: would be hilarious if you guys were somehow running old rear end monitors locked at 30FPS

No not really... I notice a difference when everything is slowed down (slo mo videos) but not when the game is actually running. Case in point rdr2 since I did a lot of tinkering with graphics settings, 35-40 fps looks almost exactly the same to me as 55-60 fps, I can see a very very slight difference but it's not worth sacrificing visual fidelity to me

I don't play any super fast paced fps (barely any fps at all actually) with frantic movement though, maybe it's the game type too? I mostly play strategy and relatively low-action things like anno 1800, civilization, rdr2, fallout 4, assassin's creed... Also I literally can't stand even the slightest amount of tearing so vsync is permanently on in any game I play if that changes things somehow, and I am as baffled as you are now when I see people saying a little tearing doesn't matter, it (tearing) makes me nauseous and mad

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think a key reason in people who cant abide low framerates is having played FPS games on CRTs, or too used to high spec computers.

When I got into PC gaming it was on an already 3 year old celeron laptop with an 8400gt playing barely a slideshow all lowest quality torchlight 1. The most powerful GPU ive had is a 660ti (also a few years old at that point)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
After playing CS:GO on 150 FPS it is quite easy to feel framerate dips even in the 120 FPS range while moving the mouse. In non FPS games it takes a drop to below 80 FPS before I can detect smoothness issues.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I played games like Grand Prix circuit, flight simulator and Test Drive at sub 20 fps. In 4 colours. And enjoyed it.

The youth of today are soft.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think a key reason in people who cant abide low framerates is having played FPS games on CRTs, or too used to high spec computers.

When I got into PC gaming it was on an already 3 year old celeron laptop with an 8400gt playing barely a slideshow all lowest quality torchlight 1. The most powerful GPU ive had is a 660ti (also a few years old at that point)

I was stuck on a fx5200 for about seven years and then a GTX660m (essentially a GT650) for six and even though I generally prefer resolution over frame rate as long as I can hit 60-ish fps, the jump from 60 to 144hz is instantly noticable, never mind 30 to 60hz.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I'm weird (and probably just poor) but I really like the idea of building really low-spec, janky-rear end computers and seeing how far they can be pushed - something like an i3-2100 with a GTS 450 or something like that, and especially since I've never had a monitor larger than 720p

and it's kinda why the new generation of consoles is kinda intriguing because if everything scales up to much higher standards, I feel like we might see a rapid increase in minimums to the point where even quad-core computers need to be taken out the back and put to pasture

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you really think that you can't, take a look at this; show some side-by-side and also an interesting case where an environment is running at 60+ FPS but objects only updating at 30 FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqARHVWM0XE&t=180s

Edit: would be hilarious if you guys were somehow running old rear end monitors locked at 30FPS

I noticed some of that but it didn't bother me hugely and was only really noticeable when I looked for it. I guess my brain is just happy to filter some of the jankiness out for me? I laughed when he compared it to stop motion because I love stop motion effects in old films.

I ran some tests with a couple of FPS games and my preference is definitely for 60 if I can get it. But I can live with a locked 30, especially if the alternative is inconsistently jumping between 30-40fps as it tries to push 60 and fails.

I do have to have vsync on wherever possible though. Tearing is the one thing I absolutely can't ignore.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I found Into The Spider-Verse extremely difficult to watch because it's got different framerates for animation and camera movement, and IIRC sometimes even different framerates for different characters. It was a deliberate (and terrible) decision. Curious if people who don't think low framerates are noticeable noticed it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I noticed it and it owned, especially in the scene where Peter teaches Miles how to web sling and their framerates synced. I guess I do notice low framerates, but they don't bother me?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

When I got into PC gaming it was on a PII with 4 MB of onboard VGA RAM, and we used it to emulate the poo poo out of game boy and SNES games. I still can't stand low framerates. Don't lay that blame on me.

K8.0 posted:

I found Into The Spider-Verse extremely difficult to watch because it's got different framerates for animation and camera movement, and IIRC sometimes even different framerates for different characters. It was a deliberate (and terrible) decision. Curious if people who don't think low framerates are noticeable noticed it.

Saw it, noticed it, but didn't rub two neurons together to realize that Miles gets animated on twos and Peter gets animated on ones to show how one's a dab hand at the game and the other isn't until it was explicitly told to me. I let myself get carried along on the visuals and the spectacle.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 19, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
edit: is not quote, nor vice versa.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 20, 2020

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Oh hi it's me. The guy who was playing CS on a CRT at 100 frames

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

For me it's difficult to tell without a direct comparison between different framerates (above 30), although inconsistent framerates are oppressively obvious. I do wonder if, because you need better hardware to run higher framerates, and that better hardware will (I assume, I am an amateur at best) lead to better framerate consistency, that is why a lot of people see these huge differences between 30 and 60 or 60 and 144 or whatever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What’s the best overall 2000 series card on cost effectiveness? Would going from a 1070 to a 2060, 2070 with or without the SUPER refresh be worth it?

I’m playing Battlefield on a 144hz 1440p display.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Just gunna continue framerate talk cuz why not

I can definitely tell the difference between 30 and 60 but depending on the game 45-60 usually doesn't jump out. I can also tell the difference between 144 and 60, but I usually don't care unless it's a real fast twitch game like Doom or something. GSync has made a huge difference for me, the frame rate has to really crater before it becomes a real problem.

I ran out and made a covid purchase of a 2080S to jump from my 1070 and honestly I am strongly considering returning it. The FPS jump, while noticeable, was not as pronounced as I expected. Alyx on VR might be an exception but I'm going to try it with both to see what I think. But I think getting older is making it easier on the pocketbook.

eames
May 9, 2009

The value for money improvement from Pascal to Turing just wasn't very impressive unless you need RTX for some reason.
The fact that both cards are 16 months older than during the Turing launch doesn't change that.
Next gen should be good though, if RDNA2 is any indication.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

K8.0 posted:

It's objectively pretty huge. I really would love to see a study done on people who claim to not be able to see framerate differences. I can't imagine that their eyes fundamentally track motion different from the way everyone else does, but it'd be interesting to see.

I don’t think it’s related to how your eyes track anything but to how your brain deals with the shifts from frame to frame. Maybe some people just interpolate from frame to frame better than others on longer time scales (fewer FPS) or they process at a slower rate so the extra frames don’t really matter.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Microsoft just announced DirectX 12 Ultimate, which marks a GPU as having feature-parity with the new consoles. Turing is already certified and RDNA2 cards obviously will be when they arrive.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/announcing-directx-12-ultimate/
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2020/03/19/powering-next-generation-gaming-visuals-with-amd-rdna-2-and-directx-12-ultimate
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-ready-for-directx-12-ultimate/

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I played around with a high refresh rate display a while back, and did experiments on myself to see what I could notice. Going from 60 fps to 120 was barely noticeable, like the improvement might just be imaginary. Then going from 120 to 60 was like dropping into an unplayable slideshow.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cool! But why didn't they give it a better name.

... Microsoft was never any good at naming things, though

vv It is basically fine, but why couldn't they call it DX13? It seems like requiring ray-tracing hardware in itself is a huge hike. I get that it's not entirely re-written or anything, but it would make a simple and clean break.
Eh, the name is ultimately unimportant anyway. It's a nice initiative to bundle the newest tech under a new umbrella.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 19, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The name seems fine to me :shrug:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Are they just gonna keep on tacking on superlatives to avoid going to the "unlucky" number 13?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Really missed the opportunity to call it DirectX XII Ultimate X

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Geemer posted:

Are they just gonna keep on tacking on superlatives to avoid going to the "unlucky" number 13?

Maybe, but it wouldn't make sense to call this DX13 anyway because a new DX number usually means a brand new API with breaking changes.

That's not what this is, DX12U is just DX12 with some of the optional features made mandatory.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Geemer posted:

They already skipped 4. They could skip 13.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lowen SoDium posted:

They already skipped 4. They could skip 13.

Just like Windows 9!

I could just imagine the meeting behind skipping that... the amount of software that was hard coded to look for a "Windows 9" string in determining Windows 9x must have been significant

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

HalloKitty posted:

Just like Windows 9!

I could just imagine the meeting behind skipping that... the amount of software that was hard coded to look for a "Windows 9" string in determining Windows 9x must have been significant

I still think they could have named it "Windows Nine" to get around that problem.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

eames posted:

The value for money improvement from Pascal to Turing just wasn't very impressive unless you need RTX for some reason.
The fact that both cards are 16 months older than during the Turing launch doesn't change that.
Next gen should be good though, if RDNA2 is any indication.

Yep, agree. I had resigned myself to that, but with months+ of limited outings in front of me I decided to jump but now I am pretty sure I was right before anyway. I have my 30 days to return it and I think I will depending on what things look like in 3 weeks.

The 1070 with one or two settings off was usually able to hold a decent 60-90 on basically everything at 1440p. Now I can get over 120+ with everything on but....eh. Its mostly hard to notice.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Calling it DirectX 12.1 or 12a would've been more aligned with DirectX's versioning history. Unfortunately Microsoft has a 12 year old child with a concussion handling their product naming.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maybe I'm weird (and probably just poor) but I really like the idea of building really low-spec, janky-rear end computers and seeing how far they can be pushed - something like an i3-2100 with a GTS 450 or something like that, and especially since I've never had a monitor larger than 720p

and it's kinda why the new generation of consoles is kinda intriguing because if everything scales up to much higher standards, I feel like we might see a rapid increase in minimums to the point where even quad-core computers need to be taken out the back and put to pasture
i used to make tiny Athlon 5350 + poo poo tier GPU shitboxes as a hobby mostly due to their size and low cost and then i moved here and lost all drive to do so because I could actually theoretically afford things now.

I have an R5 2600, GTX 1070, and 16GB DDR4 2666 as spare parts now and it's just not the same :smith:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

Just like Windows 9!

That's a problem they have easily circumvented, in fact, Windows already does provide a different version string to legacy software. That absolutely wasn't the reason why they skipped "9", it's just marketing reasoning after the fact.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a tremendous aspect of this hobby, low end parts (and finance) force you to forgo luxuries and appreciate what you have. I had so much fun playing around with a cheap tablet from China with a z3735D processor seeing what I could run or play with very low end hardware. The joy that Crysis 2 could run surprisingly well yet some goofy Naruto game could barely run made me chuckle. Had the best laugh running through the start of Dark Souls II, with a PS3 controller dropping connection against Ornstein :v:

I've just found a mystery PC in an alley way behind a Vinnies charity store, a giant corsair box with a watercooled PC and all 4 dimm slots occupied. I gave them a $50 donation for bushfires and they gave me a troublesome box they couldn't sell. Turns out it has a 4790k, 32gb ddr 1600mhz Corsair vengeance ram and an MSI Z790A ACK Gaming 9 motherboard and a H80i v2 and a 1000watt power supply. This is a bounty beyond my wildest measure, sure there was one dead stick of ram and the cooler isn't performing properly, but I am giddy with excitement getting this machine back up to health and seeing what I can do.

And considering the average machine on steam surveys this is still a performing computer that will handle the current crop of games pretty well at 1080p.

I just want to splurge on a 3080ti and put my existing card in this rando box, then get back to playing poker in Read Dead 2, but I kinda want to be a trash human, dumpster diving for parts now and reduce electronic waste and fuel my disgusting hobby.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 19, 2020

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

repiv posted:

Sony's version (and probably MS's but there's less info there) is doing the compression ahead-of-time when the game package is compiled, so they can use a stronger codec that arbitrarily jumps around in the stream to exploit distant redundant data and takes a relatively long time to encode, then the SSD only has to handle decompression on the fly. Doing something like that on PC would require a big industry-wide standardization effort to nail down the codecs and integrate it into operating systems with fallback software decoders for legacy drives, etc, it's not happening any time soon.

I think MS will try to make it happen.

Digital Foundry posted:

The final component in the triumvirate is an extension to DirectX - DirectStorage - a necessary upgrade bearing in mind that existing file I/O protocols are knocking on for 30 years old, and in their current form would require two Zen CPU cores simply to cover the overhead, which DirectStorage reduces to just one tenth of single core.

At some point, someone will make a gaming grade storage controller, complete with the finest blinky lights your money can buy. It will also handle real-time decompression of video game assets.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

I think MS will try to make it happen.

Also, it has a :krad: name.

PCworld posted:

“The CPU is the brain of our new console and the GPU is the heart, but the Xbox Velocity Architecture is the soul,” said Andrew Goossen, the technical Fellow on Xbox Series X at Microsoft. “The Xbox Velocity Architecture is about so much more than fast last times. It’s one of the most innovative parts of our new console. It’s about revolutionizing how games can create vastly bigger, more compelling worlds.”

I was wondering when we'd get a return to the good ol' days of BLAST PROCESSING.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

snickothemule posted:

It's a tremendous aspect of this hobby, low end parts (and finance) force you to forgo luxuries and appreciate what you have. I had so much fun playing around with a cheap tablet from China with a z3735D processor seeing what I could run or play with very low end hardware. The joy that Crysis 2 could run surprisingly well yet some goofy Naruto game could barely run made me chuckle. Had the best laugh running through the start of Dark Souls II, with a PS3 controller dropping connection against Ornstein :v:

I've just found a mystery PC in an alley way behind a Vinnies charity store, a giant corsair box with a watercooled PC and all 4 dimm slots occupied. I gave them a $50 donation for bushfires and they gave me a troublesome box they couldn't sell. Turns out it has a 4790k, 32gb ddr 1600mhz Corsair vengeance ram and an MSI Z790A ACK Gaming 9 motherboard and a H80i v2 and a 1000watt power supply. This is a bounty beyond my wildest measure, sure there was one dead stick of ram and the cooler isn't performing properly, but I am giddy with excitement getting this machine back up to health and seeing what I can do.

And considering the average machine on steam surveys this is still a performing computer that will handle the current crop of games pretty well at 1080p.

I just want to splurge on a 3080ti and put my existing card in this rando box, then get back to playing poker in Read Dead 2, but I kinda want to be a trash human, dumpster diving for parts now and reduce electronic waste and fuel my disgusting hobby.

No one tell this guy about trains.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Kazinsal posted:

Also, it has a :krad: name.

Pfft. Xboxybox uses something called BCPack to compress stuff. Sounds lame. PS5 uses the Kraken Stream.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

snickothemule posted:

I actually have a thing for Atom processors as well. I have a couple ECS Liva and Liva X PCs with Baytrail-M processors that aren't bad for minimal workloads (htpc or basic video output, or the kinds of things you might use a raspberry pi for).

Goldmont (J5005, etc) is actually getting to be pretty serious if you can find it, it's now got out-of-order execution and it's not terribly off a lower-end Nehalem i5.

Kabini was also amazing for the price. It'd be nice to see more stuff with the AMD Embedded epyc or whatever they are calling banded kestrel now.

I would definitely take something in that tier over the ARM crap that gets shoved into the lower and midrange tier of prebuilt NASs (synology, QNAP, etc). Just running standard x86 code and stable, open-source Intel or AMD drivers is huge for usability.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 20, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
gently caress it, I ordered a 2070S.

You guys talked me down last time, but I'm stuck at home, not able to see anyone, and it's one thing I can do to make myself feel a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fuf posted:

gently caress it, I ordered a 2070S.

You guys talked me down last time, but I'm stuck at home, not able to see anyone, and it's one thing I can do to make myself feel a bit better.

You'll be very happy with it; for me, it runs WoW Classic like a dream!