Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

STAC Goat posted:

I'll go to bat for the Halloween sequels.

They're all bad, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Tom Atkins is a national treasure, but I'll be goddamned if watching him isn't an outright exercise in pure, American sleaze.

But by some miracle, that's okay!. You watch him, and the moral disgust you have at him magically overlaps with the contempt that you hold yourself in.

Suddenly like magic, you are Tom Atkins. Complete immersion. Hitting on co-workers half your age. Carrying around a six pack everywhere you go. Not taking "no" for an answer.

He's the handsy uncle you tolerate because even though he offends the women, he's authentic and hilarious to be around.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 19, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Tom Atkins is a national treasure, but I'll be goddamned if watching him isn't an outright exercise in pure, American sleaze.

But by some miracle, that's okay!. You watch him, and the moral disgust you have at him magically overlaps with the contempt that you hold yourself in.

Suddenly like magic, you are Tom Atkins. Complete immersion. Hitting on co-workers half your age. Carrying around a six pack everywhere you go. Not taking "no" for an answer.

He's the handsy uncle you tolerate because even though he offends the women, he's authentic and hilarious to be around.

gross

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
II, IV, and V are bad, but Loomis, Laurie, and Jamie are all well acted and pretty captivating as characters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

II, IV, and V are bad, but Loomis, Laurie, and Jamie are all well acted and pretty captivating as characters.

H20 is also bad. Like yeah Laurie cuts Michael's head off with an axe, woooo, but the rest of the film.....

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Halloween II is perfectly fine and like I didn't even feel like defending it. Like its not the classic, obviously. Its a cheap, gorey, kill fest but its basically the best Jason movie.

Lurdiak posted:

They're all bad, OP.

Jason sucks. :banjo:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Halloween II is perfectly fine and like I didn't even feel like defending it. Like its not the classic, obviously. Its a cheap, gorey, kill fest but its basically the best Jason movie.
Halloween II is just very, very bland to me. If it was sold in a supermarket, it would be a plain white box with the word SLASHER in black arial font on the front. I think if I had to choose, I would watch H20 over it.

Lurdiak posted:

H20 is also bad. Like yeah Laurie cuts Michael's head off with an axe, woooo, but the rest of the film.....
yeah but the whole confrontation is fun

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Irony.or.Death posted:

OK guilty I can't read. I am just completely baffled by how much you like the bad Halloweens and I thought there had to be some other explanation, but it's just plain old different tastes. And horror thread so that's cool, I am glad someone enjoys Halloween 4.

I mean, I don't love them, but they're about on par with the mid-tier Fridays imo, and if that's pretty much the worst your franchise gets, you're in good shape.

I do legitimately like Resurrection, but that's less for it being an actual good slasher, and more for it being an utterly hilarious early-2000s time capsule where Busta Rhymes spin-kicks Michael Myers. It's a bad movie, but it's good-bad.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

H20 is also bad.

Sir, how dare you. I’ll have you know that my two decades old memory of it tells me it’s pretty ok.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its like half a perfectly fine "Sidney 20 years later" Scream sequel and half a decent Laurie vs Michael sequel.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like Halloween is a franchise that looks like poo poo primarily because the first movie is one of the GOATs, and then the rest of them are on a spectrum between "decent" and "entertainingly bad." None of them are actually worthy sequels to the original, when held up to it, except maybe 2018. But there's not a single movie in the franchise as janky as Jason Takes Manhattan/Jason Goes to Hell, Freddy's Dead, any of the Hellraisers past 4, or Child's Play 3; I can basically just pick a Halloween movie at random and be pretty sure I'm not gonna hate myself, and that's a big positive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I don't love them, but they're about on par with the mid-tier Fridays imo, and if that's pretty much the worst your franchise gets, you're in good shape.

I do legitimately like Resurrection, but that's less for it being an actual good slasher, and more for it being an utterly hilarious early-2000s time capsule where Busta Rhymes spin-kicks Michael Myers. It's a bad movie, but it's good-bad.

The best scene in Resurrection is the one where someone in the Myers house thinks Michael is their actor and tells him what to do. Will Michael kill the guy? Heck no, he just does it because if you're not interfering with his plans he doesn't care.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Jason sucks. :banjo:

Jealousy is an ugly look on you, bby.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Myers works as a scary villain but not as a slasher imo. His kills are not gory or clever enough to warrant watch the sequels.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If you go there looking to enjoy the killer, yeah, Michael doesn't work. Except maybe in Resurrection. Or II. But in II while they ramp up the gore and brutality its still not asking you to enjoy what's happening. Its mean and still about the abject horror of Michael that Laurie is trapped in and Loomis is desperate to stop.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CogIQe7fqY's
recommendation I gave Threads a re-watch last night.

Few films inflict real dread in me. The kind that makes me immersed in the experience, like I have skin in the game. Maybe I've seen too much of this poo poo life, maybe I know and admire how all of the special effects are done. Whatever the cause, my horror hog is often left numb and turgid.

Regardless, Threads turns that terror knob so sweetly because it's all so, so plausible. It's Fallout but real in 84'.

Growing up with the constant fear of the Soviets ending it all with a button push must have left a real psyche wound on a generation. That's something pop-horror fads like Jason will never measure up to. That's how Threads works.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

STAC Goat posted:

If you go there looking to enjoy the killer, yeah, Michael doesn't work. Except maybe in Resurrection. Or II. But in II while they ramp up the gore and brutality its still not asking you to enjoy what's happening. Its mean and still about the abject horror of Michael that Laurie is trapped in and Loomis is desperate to stop.

Slashers have always been effects shows to me. To find creative ways to murder and implement them with outstanding effects work.

Not that I don’t love Halloween but I wouldn’t put it in the top slashers. Top horror for sure.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah who watches slashers for anything other than the kills and the bad guy thats kinda where halloween '78 fails on both fronts

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think it fails. I think it’s too harsh to call it a failure. Halloween is an effective horror film with great characters, incredible atmosphere and an amazing score. It’s just not my go too for a slasher.

But for a horror hell yeah. It’s great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah i should have put failed as a slasher i agree its a good horror movie thats well put

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We had this debate a couple of weeks ago. I get the idea that some people watch slashers to laugh and applaud at the kills. I think its wrong to say that's the reason slashers work or have appeal. That's like just assuming the way you enjoy something is the way everyone does. John Carpenter and Wes Craven are two of the greatest horror directors of all time who made some of the most iconic slashers of all time and they were very clearly not about that Jason thing.

Jason and Michael just aren't playing for the same audience.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

im more rooting for the effects artists.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I tried to avoid saying "rooting for the killer" there and instead go "watch for the kill." But I think they mostly play out the same way. And I get it. Its not why I watch a movie and its a big part of the reason why I don't like Jason movies. But I think its flawed to assume that everyone watches for my thing or your thing. If that was the case one of Jason or Michael wouldn't be iconic. But they're both which seems to me to be clear evidence that there's an audience for both kind of "slashers".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I clearly said for me

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

yeah who watches slashers for anything other than the kills and the bad guy thats kinda where halloween '78 fails on both fronts
I watch Scream for the feminist metaphor. Checkmate.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Just loving LOL at the idea of someone badmouthing Carpenter's Halloween while pretending to have any sort of horror cred.

Laughable.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the virgin carpenter vs the chad uwe boll

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Watch the movies I recommended u

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Darthemed posted:

The made-for-TV part IV is better than the remake, but part II is strong enough to carry the whole series.

From best to worst:
Witchcraft II: The Temptress
Witchcraft
Witchcraft VIII: Salem's Ghost
Witchcraft III: The Kiss of Death
Witchcraft 666: The Devil's Mistress
Witchcraft V: Dance with the Devil
Witchcraft IV: The Virgin Heart
Witchcraft XVI: Hollywood Coven
Witchcraft XIV: Angel of Death
Witchcraft XV: Blood Rose
Witchcraft XII: In the Lair of the Serpent
Witchcraft 13: Blood of the Chosen
Witchcraft X: Mistress of the Craft
Witchcraft VII: Judgement Hour
Witchcraft XI: Sisters in Blood
Witchcraft IX: Bitter Flesh

XVI needs to higher for the fact that it explains why the other 15 were terrible, terrible movies. And invalidates them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The real star of the Halloween franchise isn't Jamie Lee Curtis but Paul Rudd.

Fight me naked if you disagree.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Just watched Colour Out of Space, and man that was great. Good cast, Nic Cage being bonkers, super good score, and some sweet gross body horror. Probably one of the better takes on Lovecraftian material recently.
Highly recommend.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sono posted:

XVI needs to higher for the fact that it explains why the other 15 were terrible, terrible movies. And invalidates them.
Yeah, but that acting. Zamra Dollskin is charming in an off-hand way, but the rest (OK, and her too, honestly) are incompetent actors portraying incompetent actors [and miscellaneous crew] who are also either using or being used by the in-film Witchcraft-equivalent film series and associated magic/sacrifices, and none of them are remotely capable of nuance in performing that.

“I feel so strong! I feel so powerful! I feel like an executive producer!” is a stand-out set of lines from the entire franchise, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

I was just watching the trailers from hell video on Postal and the host was surprised at how much he liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvUErmeA2Gw

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Postal is interesting, the cold open is seriously uproariously funny in a way I didn't know was possible, but it's Rampage that is Uwe Boll's true masterpiece; goddamn that movie slaps and is - while still bad in all the way Boll's movies are bad - challenging and honestly incisive in a way only someone from Germany can think about America.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Give his Sanctimony (with Casper van Dien!) a try. It’s largely a slog, but with some sentiments that are incredibly Germany-viewing-USA-in-the-year-2000.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

I'd think he'd be one of your idols, given his day job these days is working on sick music, smoking weed and playing video games

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate Uwe Boll because he’s arrogant in a way that completely makes all his films worthless imo.

He acts like a victim when he’s the villain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's pretty wild that he convinced a bunch of his critics to get in the ring with him, a former boxer, sign a release exonerating him of responsibility if they get hurt, and only once he landed his first jaw-shattering blow did they realize that this was a bad idea.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Finally got around to seeing the Candyman trailer and drat it looks bad, also huge :lol: for trying to make Destiny's Child sound creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I was going to say I was surprised at the negative reaction to the original. I always thought it was pretty well remembered. Who doesn’t like that decapitation?

After watching it I'm surprised it's remembered at all. It's just so dull and stiff.