Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I'm old as gently caress now and anything requiring good reflexes/twitch gaming is just a non-starter.

What are some great story driven games that I can mostly easy mode it up in, that have come out in the last 3 years or so? I dont want to be worried about difficulty (at least action style difficult)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Walked posted:

So I'm old as gently caress now and anything requiring good reflexes/twitch gaming is just a non-starter.

What are some great story driven games that I can mostly easy mode it up in, that have come out in the last 3 years or so? I dont want to be worried about difficulty (at least action style difficult)

Pyre? It's basically a visual novel with a simplistic soccer game every now and then.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can anyone who is into deep Doom lore explain why are all the demons fighting each other in Eternal? Also, it kinda seems like it's just a background sort of fight - can they actually kill each other if you don't interfere?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Serephina posted:

Pyre? It's basically a visual novel with a simplistic soccer game every now and then.

I just finished Pyre a couple of days ago and it's fantastic, but even on Normal difficulty the matches can sometimes get quite hectic, I think, and require some decent reflexes. The game does go to great lengths to emphasize that losing is 100% okay (you can lose every match and the story will continue anyway), but for me some matches were still kinda stressful. I only lost one in my playthrough but had some very close calls as well. Maybe on the easiest difficulty level it's a complete non-issue, or if Walked is okay with losing since the story doesn't really hinge on winning. But yeah, at least on Normal, and if you do want to win a few matches, I think it does require some action/twitch reflexes.

I know some people bounced off the gameplay but I really enjoyed it. I've been playing some random matches in Versus mode just to have some stress/story-free fun with it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Doom Eternal PC preorder from Amazon has been full of surprises.

Surprise 1: it's a mailed disc version of the game not a game key
Surprise 2: Doom 64 is an EA Origin key

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Xander77 posted:

Can anyone who is into deep Doom lore explain why are all the demons fighting each other in Eternal? Also, it kinda seems like it's just a background sort of fight - can they actually kill each other if you don't interfere?

They ran out of humans to kill.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Walked posted:

Were you still looking to swing a sword?

Otherwise the turn-based genre has a bunch of stuff for you. :yayclod: Thronebreaker, Disco Elysium, Divinity: Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition, Resident Evil 2: Remake, Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, Night in the Woods, Kentucky Route Zero, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (for DBZ fans), and others I can't think of/search for.

Also, feel free to use mods/trainers on those single-player games because who cares. Make them accessible for yourself. I do it sometimes. Gosh darn wrist injury.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Xander77 posted:

Rip and tear

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jolo posted:

Surprise 2: Doom 64 is an EA Origin key

It's a Bethesda launcher key, Amazon must have used the Origin template by mistake

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I heard there was a lot more platforming in Doom Eternal but this is getting ridiculous!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

exquisite tea posted:

I heard there was a lot more platforming in Doom Eternal but this is getting ridiculous!

Skip and air.

Trademarked and copyrighted.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Kind of a bummer- I just but a new PC with a Ryzen 3600, Nvidia GTX 1660, and 16GB of RAM. I’m running Final Fantasy XV- a gorgeous game, but a game from 2015- and the framerate still drops very low during battles (it becomes nearly a slideshow when grappled by an enemy.)

I am guessing this has more to do with the porting or programming of the game than my machine’s hardware, but that sort of thing makes PC gaming feel like a real crapshoot sometimes. My last PC couldn’t get more than 15 FPS on Evil Within 2, a game I’m really interested in playing but returned because it was unplayable. I’m not confident that I could buy it again and expect it to play!

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Anonymous Robot posted:

Kind of a bummer- I just but a new PC with a Ryzen 3600, Nvidia GTX 1660, and 16GB of RAM. I’m running Final Fantasy XV- a gorgeous game, but a game from 2015- and the framerate still drops very low during battles (it becomes nearly a slideshow when grappled by an enemy.)

I am guessing this has more to do with the porting or programming of the game than my machine’s hardware, but that sort of thing makes PC gaming feel like a real crapshoot sometimes. My last PC couldn’t get more than 15 FPS on Evil Within 2, a game I’m really interested in playing but returned because it was unplayable. I’m not confident that I could buy it again and expect it to play!

Don't feel bad, FFXV is not a great PC port.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
You should be smoking most normal games with that set-up.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

h_double posted:

That would be an extremely niche appeal but also my eyes lit up when you suggested it.

Battle Network is the most popular Megaman series by a wide margin, if anything its the most assured to get a collection.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walked posted:

Disco Elysium
Outer Wilds

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

That’s a real shame, because the battle system is so fun and stylish, and a huge part of that is the dynamism and fluidity of it all. But yeah, even turning off all the fancy PC rendering tools, turning the settings way down, and running at 1080p, I can’t get 60FPS.

I’m still worried about EW2, though, as my experience and that of others suggests it’s another port that is very temperamental about what it will and won’t run on. That’s the kind of thing I mean when I say that PC gaming just feels perilous and capricious. I don’t really remember it being quite that bad in say, 2006-2014.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Xander77 posted:

I remember seeing a video from Id about these fights and other mechanics in Doom 2016, like how if you don't move, enemy fire is quickly focused on you etc.
They do definitely kill each other - I remember seeing that - but I'm also pretty sure damage from their weapons against other demons is not as high as against you.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m still worried about EW2, though, as my experience and that of others suggests it’s another port that is very temperamental about what it will and won’t run on. That’s the kind of thing I mean when I say that PC gaming just feels perilous and capricious. I don’t really remember it being quite that bad in say, 2006-2014.

There were a lot less ports from consoles what I can recall. Now it feels like we get a third of the notable stuff, if we ignore Nintendo. The DRM was way more aggressive though in those years. I remember Starforce or something. Couldn't even install or launch the game.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I realise Doom is out, but I was wondering if there's any goon reports on Panzer Corps 2?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Anyone got good chill games like ISLANDERS that are basically built for playing through podcasts? Except in my case my podcasts are meetings at work from home

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

cerious posted:

Anyone got good chill games like ISLANDERS that are basically built for playing through podcasts? Except in my case my podcasts are meetings at work from home

Finders - $5.99 - a casual game that mixes a time-management style with simple crafting and mini-games
Hero of the Kingdom - $5.99 - chill casual game about grinding bear asses to become the best hero ever
Lethal RPG: War - Free! - casual RPG suitable for twiddling with while listening to podcasts
LOOP - $4.99 - puzzle game about creating closed loops
Osmos - $9.99 - cell-based puzzle game, a good podcast game
Triple Town - $9.99 - place objects on a limited playfield for as long as you can. if 3 or more of the same object are adjoining, they merge into a single higher tier object

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 20, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cerious posted:

The Quell series. Chillest puzzles on Steam and mostly solvable by idle trial and error.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zetsubou-san posted:

Triple Town - $9.99 - place objects on a limited playfield for as long as you can. if 3 or more of the same object are adjoining, they merge into a single higher tier object
I am giving the game a negative because the diva dev had a hissy fit and decided the game didn't sell enough on Steam and abandoned it. If you want the full game, you would need the mobile version with microtransactions.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

admataY posted:

Is Doom Eternal technically sound enough to jump right in or is it better to give it a week or two of bugfixing before biting down on the BFG ?

it's fine. Don't use Steam FPS counter though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

haldolium posted:

it's fine. Don't use Steam FPS counter though.

Why not?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Looks like Tomb Raider 2013 and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris are free to keep, if you add them to your library before the 24th and while supplies last. I suspect most people already have the former but I snagged the latter.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

Finders - $5.99 - a casual game that mixes a time-management style with simple crafting and mini-games
Hero of the Kingdom - $5.99 - chill casual game about grinding bear asses to become the best hero ever
Lethal RPG: War - Free! - casual RPG suitable for twiddling with while listening to podcasts
LOOP - $4.99 - puzzle game about creating closed loops
Osmos - $9.99 - cell-based puzzle game, a good podcast game

Does that Finders game support gamepad functionality?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Morter posted:

Why not?

The way Steam injects overlays over Vulkan games causes a nasty conflict in IdTech7 that stalls the GPU and ruins performance.

Some people are having their FPS cut in half just from having the Steam FPS counter on.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

owl_pellet posted:

I love how the camera zooms all the way out during the intro so you see a gigantic landscape. With the high res textures enabled it dropped to 2 frames a second for me. Promptly disabled them, never bothered with those additional 50 gigs of textures again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qilcQ8Mgqhg&t=392s

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 20, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

I love how the camera zooms all the way out during the intro so you see a gigantic landscape. With the high res textures enabled it dropped to 2 frames a second for me. Promptly disabled them, never bothered with those additional 50 gigs of textures again.

Squeenix is bad at games. Fight me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is the laziest post I think I've ever seen.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anyways Rain World is currently 4$. I know Audish didn't care for it, but it's still one of the best metroidvania/platformer/THINGS out there, as it nails atmosphere and feeling like you're an alien creature in an alien world.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

That sucks. I didn’t have performance issues in this part, and it’s one of the most effective game intros I’ve ever seen. I am not generally a Final Fantasy fan, in fact I’m not crazy about RPG’s in general, but it seems like the game, from what I’ve played of it, is on the Yakuza 0 god tier of craft, artistry and attention to detail.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Okay.

*dashes through the air endlessly, swinging his sword a thousand times while this song plays*

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 20, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Anonymous Robot posted:

Steam broke the gently caress out of FFXV when they added Workshop support. I think it’s on game pass, that version should work better for you.

Why they don’t just remove the workshop support and make it an opt-in thing, no idea.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mierenneuker posted:

Lmao are all FF games just characters putting on terrible, obviously fake cartoon voices?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:perfect:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

Lmao are all FF games just characters putting on terrible, obviously fake cartoon voices?

...what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
He's saying anime dubs are bad