Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

GorfZaplen posted:

HOW DO I PET ANIMALS IN ADVENTURE MODE

Same command you use to mount a horse iirc

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Same comnand you use to mount a horse iirc

So you're saying riding a horse is just repeatedly petting it, with your behind.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Very indecisive evil overlord

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

GorfZaplen posted:

He's just working shifts, that's all.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Just the graveyards shifts, mind you. :dadjoke:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GorfZaplen posted:

"There's no way my opponent is holding another bounce spell."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Devlog

quote:

:frogc00l:
We've been continuing on with the artwork and graphics code. I realized late that the last dev log was a bit confusing, and that despite how things have worked here for many years, there should probably be some pictures, ha ha. Please remember that these are all works in progress, and absolutely everything about them is subject to change.

This is what I mean by different grid sizes. The visible fort area is made up of 32x32 tiles, while the old interface (which we haven't touched yet) is 8x12 tiles. You can see some of the week's work in this shot as well. We're experimenting with ramp shadows (there are a few cases there were the shades don't match up), as well as ramp shapes. You can see to the left and right of the door how some of the recessed ramps don't match up with the others. There are a lot of different ramp configurations, so this is an ongoing process! You can see here the stockpile and some log items, as well as a placed door and a carpenter's workshop. These are mostly soil walls which will likely be reddish brown later, instead of gray - the game is pulling from the RGB values of the material definitions, and the soil materials don't have corrected colors yet.

In this image, you can see some small rooms underground, where I've smoothed the top portion of the largest room as well as the first small room to the right. Here you can see the wall shadow effect, as well as the variations in rough stone floor texture and the gem walls where the miners uncovered some rubicelle.

I've mostly been working with these shadow and floor textures, but we also got a preliminary dwarf displaying as well! They are built from several pieces (twelve layers currently), and we'll be able to show a picture of that once it is further along. Mike and Patrick have also done hundreds of creatures, items, workshop, plants and more, and I just have to keep working to catch up with them, ha ha ha.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I've never had a problem enjoying DF with the text based graphics but honestly it does look very very pretty. I'm excited.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

reignofevil posted:

I've never had a problem enjoying DF with the text based graphics but honestly it does look very very pretty. I'm excited.
Meanwhile I've been stymied by the text based graphics and most of the texture packs didn't do it for me, so I am also excited. This looks like a very polished visualization.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I used to shy away from text based graphics because they looked complicated, but I liked the premise of df so much, I forced myself to learn how.

Now I feel like I'm cheating if I use proper graphics.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope you can toggle graphics on/off. I think text art lets your mind visualize things in it's own way and adds to the experience. DF-like games that were have simplified graphics never appeal to me because it just limits your creativity so much.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Everyone knows the proper ASCII representation of a dwarf is ‘h’, not that bearded, smiley-faced abomination that the standard tileset uses. :colbert:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I wish these screenshots would show creatures - my hard no on graphics for personal use in DF and RL games is because I literally cannot distinguish between "blob that's supposed to be an elf" and "blob that's supposed to be a dwarf" with most tilesets.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
At the very least, Toady has said that the ASCII version will continued to be updated in parallel on the Bay12 Games website. I would expect the rendering code he's working on right now would be a boon for TWBT.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gnoman posted:

I wish these screenshots would show creatures - my hard no on graphics for personal use in DF and RL games is because I literally cannot distinguish between "blob that's supposed to be an elf" and "blob that's supposed to be a dwarf" with most tilesets.

Old mockups from the Steam page. Absolutely not finished product, but they give a rough idea of what they're going for.

I recall one thing that they're looking to do is to give units different looks depending on their actual visual characteristics (like hair color) and by what weapons they're holding, not just strictly by their role.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 20, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hadn't seen those in a while, and the units are certainly less blobby than is typical. The big fight scene is still a bit rough for me to make out.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

if toady makes TWBT's twin tilesettery obsolete, that'd be a great big huge leap forward

not having to choose between square tiles on the playing field and text that doesn't make my head hurt to read is basically the one thing I get out of twbt

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I embarked in Winter and didn't notice the frozen river was missing a bank.

Everyone wants to drink from the waterfall.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

So Math posted:

Break the dam! Release the river!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So Math posted:

If you can survive until the next winter you can patch it up and even make a super cool dam or underwater town.

Obviously by survive I mean "put up with the fps drop"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What do dwarves like in their guildhalls?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

What do dwarves like in their guildhalls?

I'm waiting for the punchline

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm waiting for the punchline

:(
Like I meant do they use tables in them?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I dug a moat 3 z-levels deep around my fortress entrance as well as building a wall 1 more z level high all around the inner edge of the moat. I'd read that goblins and such can climb now. Would they be able to climb up 4-Z levels, 2 of which are smoothed stone?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

wilderthanmild posted:

I dug a moat 3 z-levels deep around my fortress entrance as well as building a wall 1 more z level high all around the inner edge of the moat. I'd read that goblins and such can climb now. Would they be able to climb up 4-Z levels, 2 of which are smoothed stone?

I noticed enemies climbing down roughly 8 z levels, though they don't seem to path it consistently (one or two out of a whole siege).

But none of those levels were smooth. I heard any smoothing prevents climbing. Or an overhanging floor.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Smoothed stone can't be climbed but I think it needs to be natural stone that you smoothed. Building something from blocks doesn't work.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I think it can still be climbed, it is just harder and requires a lot more skill, like trying to stab someones molars out in adventure mode is hard until you have legendary +30 or more weapon skill.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I haven't played this in a few years and wow did I forget how impenetrable the UI is. I still have an idea of how to make everything work, but I can't imagine how a new player would figure half this poo poo out.

Like, you'll probably want to use a manager's orders to organize the manufacturing of things. Ok so first you need to assign a manager (and broker and bookkeeper), and that's its own thing. Then once you have that and the new room requirements filled for that guy and it's time to add some orders for beds or whatever, so it's time to uhh, open up the jobs menu you'll likely never otherwise use, go in to a submenu of that for orders, add a new order, figure out you need to set a condition on it, set a condition on that, figure out what condition you want, and then sit there for 5 minutes wondering if the text means "only build x items when you have less than this" or "only build x items when you have more than this".

That system thing is going to be so important and useful to you down the road, it should be it's own top-level menu with like an easy example of automating bed production or something :psyduck:, the way any other game would do it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know you could get to the work orders that way. I usually get there through workshop profiles.

Are the orders more global that way?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
You get a list of all current jobs, even those without dwarves working on them. Very handy for unsuspending large constructions.

You can also create new jobs which automatically get assigned to the next available workshop.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

piratepilates posted:

I haven't played this in a few years and wow did I forget how impenetrable the UI is. I still have an idea of how to make everything work, but I can't imagine how a new player would figure half this poo poo out.

Like, you'll probably want to use a manager's orders to organize the manufacturing of things. Ok so first you need to assign a manager (and broker and bookkeeper), and that's its own thing. Then once you have that and the new room requirements filled for that guy and it's time to add some orders for beds or whatever, so it's time to uhh, open up the jobs menu you'll likely never otherwise use, go in to a submenu of that for orders, add a new order, figure out you need to set a condition on it, set a condition on that, figure out what condition you want, and then sit there for 5 minutes wondering if the text means "only build x items when you have less than this" or "only build x items when you have more than this".

That system thing is going to be so important and useful to you down the road, it should be it's own top-level menu with like an easy example of automating bed production or something :psyduck:, the way any other game would do it.

Conditions? nah, just ”new order” ”item name” ”about a ton” unless making military equipment where you want to do them workshop-specific so bolt production doesnt take over every forge at same time.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I couldn't figure out why I was getting so much job cancellation spam. Can't give water? The hospital was empty!

(With the well frozen over and the booze gone, my dwarves were dying of thirst.)

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Those graphics look nice, will they be redoing the menus as well?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You’re all caught up with what I know.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

FairyNuff posted:

Those graphics look nice, will they be redoing the menus as well?

I think it is unlikely but I'm not following closely enough to be certain. Honestly for me DF is 90% muscle memory at this point and so I'd need to do some severe adjustment if he ever changes the menu to something sane.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

reignofevil posted:

I think it is unlikely but I'm not following closely enough to be certain. Honestly for me DF is 90% muscle memory at this point and so I'd need to do some severe adjustment if he ever changes the menu to something sane.
I'm honestly the same. Even without having played the game for a while (Five or six years), I decided to just go through some of my dwarf fortress muscle memory, and even though I can't recall the commands specifically in my mind, my hands make them like an old pro.

At this stage, redoing the menus would be awful for all of us who went through the process of learning them in the first place. Especially considering the fact that they only look daunting. Once you learn how to navigate them it becomes a great deal easier to manage. Some of the other systems, like the military, are complex enough and opaque enough that I decided it was simpler and easier for me to just make bridge, lava, and water traps than it was to deal with the military. I've never managed to get that damned thing working.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I might do a write up on the military screen one of these days I think I managed to figure out what most of the buttons do by this point.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I hope it gets completely redone before the Steam release.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I can't wait for the day, 20 years from now, where the UI gets its major overhaul, and we have long-time fans protesting making things easier for new players because when I was your age we had to use 4 different schemes for navigating up and down menus, and if I could do it then by gum so should you kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Shame those people. gently caress Gamers.

I want the game more accessible so more people get into it and the Tarn Bros. are more financially secure and continually work on their dream project that I really enjoy and want to see more of.