Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It’s not really the resolution that is the issue because it’s CPU bound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Well yeah that's pretty much what I said, i.e. you can even run it at 4k maxed with a GTX 1060 and you'll still be relatively fine.

Having better CPU cooling might help though, I do have external cooling for the Surface so that I can run it pegged at max turbo.

e: As for why I got the SB2 rather than something like ROG Zephyrus - yes for the same price you can get a 2070 Max-Q or 2060 ti or 1080 mobile, along with an i7 8650 or 7750 (for the 1080 one), but you only get a (non-touchscreen) 1080p display, it's 2-3x heavier, has an inferior keyboard and camera and importantly has a rainbow-lit RGB keyboard along with a massive crimson REPUBLIC OF GAMERS LED decal and all-black plastic body, compared with the SB2 all-brushed-aluminium body which I can actually take to work. And you can't use it as a tablet, albeit the SB2 isn't as good at that as the surface pro b/c of the extra size and weight.

e2: Apparently AMD has a good mind reader on staff because the next Zephyrus is going to have an understated magnesium chassis too. Or alternatively it's a common complaint about gaming laptops for grown-up gamers. Bit too late for me though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 28, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm, loading times seem about the same but human beings are bad at estimating that, framerates seem much better when characters are not on screen, but when you're in a busy Vivec City for example still seeing like 40-50fps. They did say character rendering optimization is part of the *next* update.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Account cold storage was never needed, ESO doesn't have the sheer amount of accounts that WoW has, even if Firor opens every E3 with "THIRTEEN MILLION ACCOUNTS"

One of our PvP buddies who does software engineering said it's either bad data design on their end, or they're being cheap and attempting to save a minimal amount on storage.

As far as the patch is going so far, everyone seems to be agreeing that nothing has changed performance-wise, at least when it comes to PvP and endgame PvE.

Have yet to see Primetime PvP though

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Can't figure out how to get my controller recognized. It's an 8bitdo that works with Steam, but not ESO (non-steam version). Tried everything, turn gamepad mode on/off, don't run Steam in parallel, but nada.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Whats the best place to check out for PvP builds? Specifically for Magplars.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Mustang posted:

Whats the best place to check out for PvP builds? Specifically for Magplars.

Obligatory New Moon Acolyte, Bright Throats Boast, Bloodspawn, BRP resto backbar

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've had this game since the winter sale and only just tried it. I like it so far, feels Elder Scrolls-y enough.

Can I get a guild invite @SiddharthaGluta.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

just sent you an invite

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I assume this guild is on PC/MAC?

Still looking for a guild that doesn’t suck on PS4

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Wouldn’t mind a guild invite: @RexMantlepiece

Thanks!

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Please also invite me - @wrshamilton - to this guild. Thank you.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I gave the wrong gamertag above. Senility, I guess.

@trainwreck708

Thanks!

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Count Freebasie posted:

I gave the wrong gamertag above. Senility, I guess.

@trainwreck708

Thanks!

Account Not Found.

Are you sure its not RexMantlepiece? That UID has a pending invite that is unaccepted. It can also take character names.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm getting the urge to give this game a try, in my never-ending MMO-hopping fever. Seems like there's a few editions of the game. Should I just get the base game or do the Greymoor Edition if I"m just starting out? I'm planning to subscribe either way, just for that freakin' crafting materials storage.

Are there any good up-to-date starter guides you folks would recommend?

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 9, 2020

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

May as well get the Greymoor edition, especially since you plan on subbing anyway.

Not sure about any specific guides but I will say make sure you start researching crafting traits as you level.

Basically, when your inventory gets full head back to town and go to the crafting stations. Go to each one and begin researching any traits you can off of items you looted while out and about and then deconstruct the rest to extract their resources. You can do this at the blacksmithing, clothing, woodworking and jewelry crafting stations.

The game is very forgiving so don't worry about your skills too much as you level up, just use abilities that you think sound good/fun. This is also the best way to learn what exactly each ability does instead of just sticking skills from an online build onto your hotbar.

You can either start questing in the zone where the game currently dumps people with all of the DLC/Chapters, Elsweyr, or you can go head off to whatever other zone you want. The main story/faction stories quests and fighter and mages guild quests from launch aren't bad at all and to start those head to any of the 3 really tiny island zones (Bleakrock for Ebonheart Pact, Stros M'Kai for Daggerfall Covenant, Khenarthi's Roost for Aldmeri Dominion), those are the start zones for each faction. The main story quest and fighters/mages guilds storylines will pick up in the first full sized zone the faction story takes you to (Stonefalls for Ebonheart Pact, Glenumbra for Daggerfall Covenant, Auridon for Aldmeri Dominion).

Most goons are Ebonheart Pact, which only really matters when it comes to PvP, you're otherwise not restricted from doing anything else with people of other factions.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
Here's a few random pointers on starting out:

Equip a weapon and kill anything (even 1-hp animals) to unlock the skill set for it, and if kill you something worth xp, you'll be able to get the first skill for that weapon set. You'll always earn kill-xp from whatever weapon you use, but you won't get quest or discovery xp for that weapon if there's no skill for it in the tray.

Equip three pieces of each type of armor (Light, Medium, Heavy) to unlock that armor type's set. Wear at least five pieces of whichever type you want since the passives are based on how many you have on, with the higher-level passives requiring at least five pieces. Guides recommend that the other two armor slots would be for one each of the other two armor types, so, for example, five Heavy, one Medium, one Light. Chest armor has the most armor and Waist armor has the least for the same level.

When you hit a big town for the first time, visit each of the seven crafting tables to unlock those skill sets. Hit up the Fighters' Guild and Mages' Guild and join them ("Wanna join?" Sure "You're in!"). The Banks are account-shared, so that's how you can transfer stuff across characters. The Crafting Bag is account based, so no need to move stuff around.

Since crafting can use up a lot of skill points, make sure you find as many Skyshards as you can. The Main Quest (which starts when the Hooded Figure sends to to see the Benefactor) will award a skill point for each mission, and Story missions in all zones will offer skill points, from 3 to 8 depending on the zone.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Burnt Poffin posted:

Hit up the Fighters' Guild and Mages' Guild and join them ("Wanna join?" Sure "You're in!").

Also invest exactly one skill point in each just to unlock persuade and intimidate dialogue options, cause it's dumb when you don't have those.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France

Burnt Poffin posted:

Here's a few random pointers on starting out:

Equip a weapon and kill anything (even 1-hp animals) to unlock the skill set for it, and if kill you something worth xp, you'll be able to get the first skill for that weapon set. You'll always earn kill-xp from whatever weapon you use, but you won't get quest or discovery xp for that weapon if there's no skill for it in the tray.

Equip three pieces of each type of armor (Light, Medium, Heavy) to unlock that armor type's set. Wear at least five pieces of whichever type you want since the passives are based on how many you have on, with the higher-level passives requiring at least five pieces. Guides recommend that the other two armor slots would be for one each of the other two armor types, so, for example, five Heavy, one Medium, one Light. Chest armor has the most armor and Waist armor has the least for the same level.

When you hit a big town for the first time, visit each of the seven crafting tables to unlock those skill sets. Hit up the Fighters' Guild and Mages' Guild and join them ("Wanna join?" Sure "You're in!"). The Banks are account-shared, so that's how you can transfer stuff across characters. The Crafting Bag is account based, so no need to move stuff around.

Since crafting can use up a lot of skill points, make sure you find as many Skyshards as you can. The Main Quest (which starts when the Hooded Figure sends to to see the Benefactor) will award a skill point for each mission, and Story missions in all zones will offer skill points, from 3 to 8 depending on the zone.

I always recommend learning the at least up to the psjic loot portal skill from Summerset if you have that and don't mind going slightly out of order on a handful of quests to get the awesome LOOT PORTAL option.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Are those portals for the fighters guild daily lootable once per day, or can I just afk next to one and farm it?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks for the advice everyone. I bought in and started a character, though I haven't had much time to play. I'm a Nord Dragonknight named Belinda Brickhouse.

So far I'm pretty impressed. The tutorial was fun and felt very adventurous. In a lot of ways it feels like a typical MMO with extra steps, but I dunno, the area design and the overall presentation makes things immersive and feels fun. I imagine at some point I'll get bored but for now I'm digging it.

After the tutorial I pretty much just ported right to the starting zone to work on the original story quest, which I have done none of because I am apparently spending an eternity in town doing odd jobs and meeting the various guilds.

If anyone is handing out guild invites, my username is @calcDegree .

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I bought in and started a character, though I haven't had much time to play. I'm a Nord Dragonknight named Belinda Brickhouse.

So far I'm pretty impressed. The tutorial was fun and felt very adventurous. In a lot of ways it feels like a typical MMO with extra steps, but I dunno, the area design and the overall presentation makes things immersive and feels fun. I imagine at some point I'll get bored but for now I'm digging it.

After the tutorial I pretty much just ported right to the starting zone to work on the original story quest, which I have done none of because I am apparently spending an eternity in town doing odd jobs and meeting the various guilds.

If anyone is handing out guild invites, my username is @calcDegree .

Invited to both the main guild and the decon/crafting guild.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Returning ESO player here! @joeyjoejoe01

So I have not played since before all these DLC's so I'm fairly lost again, just doing story missions on a new warden. It turns out coming back to the game after being gone for a few years makes you forget everything about your builds. That and I'm still in Daggerfall Goons lol

Is there an updated list of addons that goon suggest? I tried to grab a bunch but everything is out of date and I'm getting spammed with UI errors.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 13, 2020

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France

NuckmasterJ posted:

Returning ESO player here! @joeyjoejoe01

So I have not played since before all these DLC's so I'm fairly lost again, just doing story missions on a new warden. It turns out coming back to the game after being gone for a few years makes you forget everything about your builds. That and I'm still in Daggerfall Goons lol

Is there an updated list of addons that goon suggest? I tried to grab a bunch but everything is out of date and I'm getting spammed with UI errors.

Even if you get them it doesn't mean they won't work. Obviously make sure you have USE OUT OF DATE ADDONS checked under the ADD-ONS dropdown, and make sure you have all the LIB files for addons. The addons missing LIB files will show red, and clicking will tell you which ones you are missing.

Everyone has a bunch of addons they prefer. I'd recommend MEDIC, SKYSHARDS, MASTER MERCHANT, at a minimum. If you like collecting things, and want to maybe craft -- LOREBOOKS, HARVEST MAPS and DESTINATIONS. If you hate searching for treasure on your own, LOST TREASURE.

I use Foundry Tactical Combat (FTC) for my combat mod, but some people use other things.

I have quite a lot of addons, though so... also if you aren't already use Minion to download and track them.

You've got invites to both the main guild and the crafting/decon guild.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Just joined the discord and bought this game yesterday and already sunk some hours into. My Account name is @Spaced_God if y'all wanna invite me :)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
anyone playing this on console as a primarily spell casting class? on paper necro is all i want in a class but circle strafing a mob as a nightblade is so satisfying with a controller. do casters wiggle around a bunch too?

also o console is there a way to stop auto hding the chat

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 17, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I play on PS4 and I have a nightblade and a sorc. The sorc is a lot less moving than the assassin but sometimes you gotta dance around if your pet doesn’t keep aggro. I can’t think of any skill that I can’t cast while moving. Glass cannon sorc is pretty fun yo.

I’m pretty sure there’s a setting in options to display or hide chat. I usually leave it off. If you’re on PS4 feel free to add me - DocZero

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is there a quest for a first mount or do i have to shell out the 45k?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You get one for free at level 10

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Robo Reagan posted:

is there a quest for a first mount or do i have to shell out the 45k?

Did you (or anyone else) shoot me a friend request? I got one last night but I also get ones from randos sending them to everyone in visual range.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Zero posted:

Did you (or anyone else) shoot me a friend request? I got one last night but I also get ones from randos sending them to everyone in visual range.

yeah i dunno if theres a universal tag on.your ps4 account but my display name is tupac shakur

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I got my lvl 47 Templar up and working after moving some skills around with a stam 2h/bow build. My gear is all crafted from goons way back in the day and is getting a little long in the tooth. When it comes to new item sets and what not, are they all world/dungeon drops that require a bunch of grinding? Do goons have any recommendations for easy sets to snag for stam templars?

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 20, 2020

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

A friendly tip for new or returning players. Next week starts a seasonal event where you can get a 100% xp, from all sources, buff item that lasts for two hours, stacks with xp buff scrolls, persists through death, and can be applied as many times as you want during the event. So yeah you can possibly have 150% to 250% bonus xp. This is really powerful when completing your daily dungeon.

Also a great way to level up skills which is what I am doing currently.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

NuckmasterJ posted:

So I got my lvl 47 Templar up and working after moving some skills around with a stam 2h/bow build. My gear is all crafted from goons way back in the day and is getting a little long in the tooth. When it comes to new item sets and what not, are they all world/dungeon drops that require a bunch of grinding? Do goons have any recommendations for easy sets to snag for stam templars?

Ultimately all sets are either crafted or drops, so that's a bit silly question. That said it doesn't take forever to grind whatever you want unless you are going for a specific trait or it's trial drops.

The main problem is that your gear will be outdated pretty quickly at 47 no matter what you do. Your best bet is looking at eso-sets for locations that have workable stam drops (Alik'r desert might be decent) and spending some time there.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

Ultimately all sets are either crafted or drops, so that's a bit silly question. That said it doesn't take forever to grind whatever you want unless you are going for a specific trait or it's trial drops.

The main problem is that your gear will be outdated pretty quickly at 47 no matter what you do. Your best bet is looking at eso-sets for locations that have workable stam drops (Alik'r desert might be decent) and spending some time there.

According to the stam templar gods, a beginner set for me would be a set of 5 Hunding's rage (4medium 1 heavy) and 4 Ancient Dragon Guard which is down in southern elsewyr, where I have yet to go. I'm still using a 5 piece of Whitestrakes Retribution and 2 pieces of Ashen Grip.

So I'm not completely naked and lost for the moment! The 8k damage shield on the Whitestrakes has definitely come in handy!

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 20, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

NuckmasterJ posted:

According to the stam templar gods, a beginner set for me would be a set of 5 Hunding's rage (4medium 1 heavy) and 4 Ancient Dragon Guard which is down in southern elsewyr, where I have yet to go. I'm still using a 5 piece of Whitestrakes Retribution and 2 pieces of Ashen Grip.

So I'm not completely naked and lost for the moment! The 8k damage shield on the Whitestrakes has definitely come in handy!

Hundings is good but it's crafted and needs, IIRC, five traits for each piece. Which I got around about CP200 or so.

ADG might be good too, but as long as you've got some stamina sets it doesn't really matter until cp160 tbqh. It will all become obsolete blindingly fast

That said just-before-50 is one of the pvp twink sweet spots so it might be worth farming something decent and sticking it on a mule char.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

Hundings is good but it's crafted and needs, IIRC, five traits for each piece. Which I got around about CP200 or so.

ADG might be good too, but as long as you've got some stamina sets it doesn't really matter until cp160 tbqh. It will all become obsolete blindingly fast

That said just-before-50 is one of the pvp twink sweet spots so it might be worth farming something decent and sticking it on a mule char.

What do you mean pvp twink sweet spot? With level scaling does it really matter what level you are in pvp? Other then skills available to use of course.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

You have your class, weapon and armor skill trees more or less fully opened up and morphed at that point, and the skill points and passives of a CP character just about.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Also the XP requirements for level are higher meaning you can squish more matches in before your gear loses it's level boost (and/or you hit 50). I think ideally you'd want something like level 45 and 48 sets if you go that way.

The disadvantage is that it takes a lot of time to get to that point, so something like 20 or 30 might be a better bet depending. Or you can do both, you get a respec scroll(s) at 43 which would help with that, by letting you optimise for both a mid-level and high-level twink. Of course you'd need more sets then though.

The drop in gear bonus (which is not quite level scaling as such) is really significant after just 3 levels. Even 1 level can be a 5-10% difference in stats, depending on how much you stack one thing.

e: Note that for a twink you want 3 sets (1 or 2 full sets + an incomplete one to fill all your slots, since monster sets are not available) with at least purple pieces (jewelry excepted, weapons should really be gold with gold enchants though), all at the same level and ideally with decent traits, as well as poisons and potions made by a maxed alchemy crafter. It's not really something you can do on your first toon. Though in a perverse way twinking can be more fair and fun than fighting undergeared in the over-50 PVP, since you won't generally be the only one doing it in any given match.

Oh and if you're not aware you can take a mediocre piece and make it into gold/gold relatively easily with crafting, and changing traits is also possible (albeit for world drops it may or may not be worth it). So don't worry about quality too much except for jewelry, which is really expensive to boost quality for.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
So should I avoid doing certain quests that reward armor/weapons that are good til I'm in my higher levels, like mid 40s? Is it a waste to do them at 14 since leveling is quicker?