Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

What are some good PC games that can be played one-handed(get yer jokes in now, boys)

sometimes I want to splay out like a loaf in my easy chair and not have a keyboard in front of me, just using the mouse to play. some examples of games I do this with:

Magic the Gathering: Shandalar(requires the occasional key press but I can keep the keyboard on my couch cushion for those)
Stellaris(to a degree, at a certain point it can get overwhelming with just a mouse)
Dicey Dungeons
Poker Night at the Inventory 1 + 2
You Must Build A Boat
Plants vs Zombies

FTL
Into the Breach
Hoard (although that may no longer work on modern computers)
Most adventure games, I'd recommend tales of monkey island or Sam and Max.
Guild of Dungioneering
Chroma Squad
World of Goo
VA-11 Hall-A
Papers Please
Punch Club
World of Guns

For a while, I personally was going for the games that could be played just with the other hand on keyboard, since I always liked the certainty of button pushing over something more analog like a mouse.

Necrodancer
Solar 2
Thomas Was Alone
Spelunky
Party Hard
Luftrausers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Pipski posted:

One Finger Death Punch 2 (though I wouldn't consider it a relaxing, laid back time. Real good though.)

One Finger Death Punch was also what I was going to recommend for a mouse-only game. I didn't think 2 was much better than 1 though, they're pretty much the same thing so personally I would just get whichever. Both are great.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 20, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Or both!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
what's a game that can handle four players, two players per PC at two different locations? Looking to play games with another couple. Turn-based would be preferred or single screen action like duck game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

what's a game that can handle four players, two players per PC at two different locations? Looking to play games with another couple. Turn-based would be preferred or single screen action like duck game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMHqguB7ihE

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Captain Invictus posted:

What are some good PC games that can be played one-handed(get yer jokes in now, boys)

sometimes I want to splay out like a loaf in my easy chair and not have a keyboard in front of me, just using the mouse to play. some examples of games I do this with:

Magic the Gathering: Shandalar(requires the occasional key press but I can keep the keyboard on my couch cushion for those)
Stellaris(to a degree, at a certain point it can get overwhelming with just a mouse)
Dicey Dungeons
Poker Night at the Inventory 1 + 2
You Must Build A Boat
Plants vs Zombies

Whispers of a machine is a good point and click that isn't too long!

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
Looking for some recommendations for some PS4 games for my wife to make it through this quarantine. She likes open world and/or engaging narratives and dislikes stealth gameplay.

Games she’s enjoyed:
Witcher 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey but it got a bit repetitive
Skyrim
Yakuza series including Judgment
Bioshock series
Fallout 3, New Vegas (4 not so much)
Outer Worlds
Uncharted series

Games she’s tried and not liked:
Dragon Age Inquisition
The Last of Us (too much stealth)
Dishonored 2 (that to get the “good” ending required stealth)
Hasn’t technically tried any Soulslikes but not the kind of challenge wanted

Games on the list to try (mostly unreleased which is why we’re looking for recs):
God of War
Cyberpunk 2077
Ghost of Tsushima
Vampire Bloodlines 2

Seems like there should be a lot of games to fit this bill but whenever we do research and try to look up recommendations they always just list the ones she’s already tried! So any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks goons

MrXmas fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 21, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MrXmas posted:

Looking for some recommendations for some PS4 games for my wife to make it through this quarantine. She likes open world and/or engaging narratives and dislikes stealth gameplay.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Prey 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MrXmas posted:

Seems like there should be a lot of games to fit this bill but whenever we do research and try to look up recommendations they always just list the ones she’s already tried! So any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks goons

Well, there's always Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (the first one). If you're looking for more yakuza, Sleeping Dogs. If she has a decent tolerance for jank and weirdness, the Way of the Samurai games (1 and 2 are on PS2 only, 3 and 4 are available on Steam and GoG). And while I'm sure you've already been recommended them, either the Fromsoft Souls games, or some of the newer competitors to them (Code Vein, Nioh, The Surge 2) are reasonably open world and most have at least solid storytelling.

Also, depending on what part of the 3d Fallouts she liked, Void Bastards should be fun for at least one playthrough.

Hwurmp posted:

Prey 2017

Just so that you know what you're getting into with this, Prey will feel like a stealth game early on, but it's very much the kind of game where your power curve accelerates logarithmically so that by the end you're an unstoppable juggernaut.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 21, 2020

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Keeshhound posted:

Well, there's always Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (the first one). If you're looking for more yakuza, Sleeping Dogs. If she has a decent tolerance for jank and weirdness, the Way of the Samurai games (1 and 2 are on PS2 only, 3 and 4 are available on Steam and GoG). And while I'm sure you've already been recommended them, either the Fromsoft Souls games, or some of the newer competitors to them (Code Vein, Nioh, The Surge 2) are reasonably open world and most have at least solid storytelling.

Also, depending on what part of the 3d Fallouts she liked, Void Bastards should be fun for at least one playthrough.

Just so that you know what you're getting into with this, Prey will feel like a stealth game early on, but it's very much the kind of game where your power curve accelerates logarithmically so that by the end you're an unstoppable juggernaut.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention soulslikes because while she hasn’t actually tried them, she’s not really into that level of challenge. I’ll edit the post to reflect that.

Sleeping Dogs is a good suggestion (looks like there’s a demo available on PSN which is nice) and thanks for the info on Prey!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

MrXmas posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention soulslikes because while she hasn’t actually tried them, she’s not really into that level of challenge. I’ll edit the post to reflect that.

Sleeping Dogs is a good suggestion (looks like there’s a demo available on PSN which is nice) and thanks for the info on Prey!

She might be interested in

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Tomb Raider reboot trilogy
Mad Max

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

MrXmas posted:

Sleeping Dogs sounds perfect especially if she's okay with GTA style driving stuff. Sleeping Dogs doesn't have as much driving as GTA but still a decent amount. For that matter if she's into GTA type games, Saints Row 4 is the best in that subgenre, especially because it gives your character superpowers and all the cars become obsolete pretty quickly.

The Batman Arkham series might have too much stealth for her, but it's the kind of stealth where you sneak up on guys to beat them up more effectively rather than "ghost" style stealth. And it's still got more straight up brawling than stealth as well. Like Assassin's Creed but better. Arkham City is the best in the series.

Middle Earth Shadows of Mordor or Shadows of War also have some stealth Assassin's Creed or Arkham style but they're both very good and it's a pretty small part of the game.

Far Cry 4 is still mostly a shooter but I thought it was a good open world too. You have to be into FPSes but if you are, I think it's the one of the best of the FPS open world genre.

Also in FPSes, Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl takes some effort to run smoothly, you still need bug fix and optimization mods, but it's one of the most "alive" open worlds ever created. A truly remarkable game of shooting, monsters, and exploration, but it's also pretty unforgiving, one of those high-lethality shooters where everyone dies in a couple shots including the player. Between the difficulty and the required mods it takes a lot of effort to get into, but it is 110% worth it. A legitimate contender for best game I've ever played.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

-Shadow of the Colossus
-Red Dead Redemption (the first one is one of the most atmospheric games of all time, no feelings on the second one. They're probably not interchangeable)
-Sleeping Dogs
-Bully
-Prototypes 1&2 (although there is some stealth involved there)
-The Infamous series
-Spidreman

Hwurmp posted:

Prey 2017

Shadow of War and Shadow of Mordor have a little stealth and also may start feeling repetitive if you don't fully sink into the Nemesis system, since they're light on non-procedural story. In a lot of ways, they're kind of a lot like a more challenging version of Assassin's Creed. Odyssey's mercenary thing is a lot like a stripped down version of the Nemesis system.

Luckily, Shadow of War also has a very long demo that you can play to really see if it's your kind of thing.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

MrXmas posted:

Games she’s enjoyed:
Witcher 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey but it got a bit repetitive
Skyrim
Yakuza series including Judgment
Bioshock series
Fallout 3, New Vegas (4 not so much)
Outer Worlds
Uncharted series

Games she’s tried and not liked:
Dragon Age Inquisition
The Last of Us (too much stealth)
Dishonored 2 (that to get the “good” ending required stealth)
Hasn’t technically tried any Soulslikes but not the kind of challenge wanted

Games on the list to try (mostly unreleased which is why we’re looking for recs):
God of War
Cyberpunk 2077
Ghost of Tsushima
Vampire Bloodlines 2

You just forgot Red Dead on the list, right?

Even if she doesn't like westerns and is hesitant to try it because of that, she's going to love Arthur and his story.

[edit] Also maybe GTAV

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I have a friend and we are basically in the same situation: We are looking for games that are inherently social, but not necessarily "social games".

We have the following criteria:

1. We love MMOs, but we burnt out of WoW, played out fill of the current non-bleeding-edge FFXIV content, and have EvE'd with goons enough. All the other MMOs either seem to be fan-propped-up 15-year-old designs or awful Korean crap.
  2. We don't do looter-shooters, so no BL3, Dest2ny, Division 2.
  3. Nothing strictly PvP, because the communities are inevitably toxic (Mobas FGC, etc.)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
First things that come to mind are Sea of Thieves and Ark on a private server.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Toshimo posted:

I have a friend and we are basically in the same situation: We are looking for games that are inherently social, but not necessarily "social games".

1. We love MMOs, but we burnt out of WoW, played out fill of the current non-bleeding-edge FFXIV content, and have EvE'd with goons enough. All the other MMOs either seem to be fan-propped-up 15-year-old designs or awful Korean crap.
  3. Nothing strictly PvP, because the communities are inevitably toxic (Mobas FGC, etc.)

Well, Guild Wars 2 is a modern MMO that doesn't suck.
Monster Hunter series, Don't Starve Together... Risk of Rain 2?
I'm not sure if Warframe counts as a looter-shooter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

ESO is good

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The thing that kinda sucks about the multiplayer aspect of ESO and Guild Wars 2 is that there's not really any reason to level with another person due to the way the scaling works.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The current Animal Crossing mania has reminded me how nice it can be to just harvest and build stuff, but it's also nice to get in a fight sometimes. I'm looking for games that have a loop of exploration -> harvesting and crafting -> combat but are NOT:

- MMOs
- Minecraft or Terraria or direct clones
- Full of phone game timers/stamina/IAP
- Permadeath
- Incredibly simulationist (think Cataclysm:DDA)

Some good examples of this kind of thing are the Atelier series, Crashlands, or this phone game called Random Adventure Roguelike 2 I have. Even Monster Hunter kinda fits.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Internet Friend posted:

The current Animal Crossing mania has reminded me how nice it can be to just harvest and build stuff, but it's also nice to get in a fight sometimes. I'm looking for games that have a loop of exploration -> harvesting and crafting -> combat but are NOT:

- MMOs
- Permadeath

Some good examples of this kind of thing are the Atelier series, Crashlands, or this phone game called Random Adventure Roguelike 2 I have. Even Monster Hunter kinda fits.

Would Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana work? It's definitely focused on the combat but there are exploration, harvesting and crafting elements too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dragon quest builders has the exact loop you describe but may be a little minecrafty - fwiw Minecraft and terraria never held my attention but I love dqb

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Internet Friend posted:

- MMOs
- Permadeath

Rune Factory is Harvest Moon with action RPG mechanics bolted on top. I've only played one of them on the DS but liked it decently enough.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Internet Friend posted:

- MMOs
- Permadeath

I assume you've already played Stardew Valley?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

- MMOs
- Permadeath

If you have a 3DS, Fantasy Life.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Who do we have to petition to get a new Fantasy Life on the Switch?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tagra posted:

Who do we have to petition to get a new Fantasy Life on the Switch?

Yo-Kai Watch 4 kind of crashed and burned, so maybe Level-5 will get back to Fantasy Life! Hell, I'd take a localization of the mobile game, by this point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

- MMOs
- Permadeath

Slime Rancher
Reccettear
A little outside the parameters, there's Punch Club, which has a similar sort of feel to it.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Lots of good suggestions but I've played 'em all. I'd punch a baby for a new Fantasy Life. Maybe I'll just replay that, it's been a while. I'll actually throw in my own suggestion people may not know: Katana Kami, a Way of the Samurai roguelite. You go dungeon diving to get materials and help Dojima fill sword orders, and try to get the different factions to fight each other so they'll order MORE swords.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 22, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Internet Friend posted:

- MMOs
- Permadeath

How about Forager? Or Slime Rancher?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Internet Friend posted:

The current Animal Crossing mania has reminded me how nice it can be to just harvest and build stuff, but it's also nice to get in a fight sometimes. I'm looking for games that have a loop of exploration -> harvesting and crafting -> combat

My time at Portia is my favorite not-harvest-moon, though the combat is a bit poo poo.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Are there any sport simulation games that my friends and I can play online together?

Alternatively, can you guys recommend any games that a group of guys with different schedules could play together online?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Internet Friend posted:

- MMOs
- Permadeath

Thea or Thea2 perhaps?

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Looking for a game where i can build/manufacture/gather a good and sell it. The catch is I want to "corner" a market. or i want the quality of my good to be superior everyone wants to buy my good.

Games I've played a lot of:
Rimworld: it was fun making statues and stuff but there isn't really an economy like I want

Victoria 2: too large scale. To really corner a market youd have to play a huge country with colonies and im not a fan of that

Unrealworld: fan of the genre, but the lack of reactive economy isn't scratching the itch.

Stardew valley: put a lot of hours in this and loved it but the prices never change!

I've dabbled in a lot of games, but nothing really hooked me. Please help! Pc only

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've never played it, but Recettear might qualify?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

grill youre saelf posted:

Looking for a game where i can build/manufacture/gather a good and sell it. The catch is I want to "corner" a market. or i want the quality of my good to be superior everyone wants to buy my good.

Rimworld: it was fun making statues and stuff but there isn't really an economy like I want

Victoria 2: too large scale. To really corner a market youd have to play a huge country with colonies and im not a fan of that

Unrealworld: fan of the genre, but the lack of reactive economy isn't scratching the itch.

Stardew valley: put a lot of hours in this and loved it but the prices never change!

I've dabbled in a lot of games, but nothing really hooked me. Please help! Pc only

Off World Trading company might work. it doesn't really have the quality aspect but if you're looking for something that has a strong competitive component that's your best bet.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Recettear is a fun game, but the market prices aren't really simulated (other than "random item x is today hot/cold" and "happy customers are willing to spend more").

Offworld Trading Company has real dynamic prices with every resource becoming cheaper/more expensive based on the supply. It's a bit boring as a single player though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Arabian Jesus posted:

Are there any sport simulation games that my friends and I can play online together?

Alternatively, can you guys recommend any games that a group of guys with different schedules could play together online?

Some version of MP Civ is probably the most popular. Any MP turn based 4x works really. You could also look into the board game world, starting with yucata.de or boardgamearena.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grill youre saelf posted:

Capitalism 2? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arabian Jesus posted:

I did a season of Out Of The Park Baseball with my friends. We drafted teams of any player from history, then I simulated the season in two-week chunks and gave everyone a weekly update. So my friends didn't need to be online to play, but they could set lineups and pitching rotations for their teams. I had Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds, but I got swept in the World Series by the guy who picked a team of postseason superstars like Sandy Koufax and Mariano Rivera.

The same developer has a hockey management simulator, I haven't played it but I assume it also has an "import historical player" option.