Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

imo the fan translation's names were, in general, better, while the retranslation's dialogue is somewhat smoother. "byzel" -> "beiser" is a real regression, for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Carlie is clearly inferior to Charlotte, but also excusable as it was a best-case compromise considering the 6-character limit for names in SD3. Hawk and Hawkeye are basically the same name anyway.

I will never get used to Riesz though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I remember in the fan translation, Isabella was Bigieu or something like that, which was probably a mistranslation of Bijou (French for jewel).

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I remember in the fan translation, Isabella was Bigieu or something like that, which was probably a mistranslation of Bijou (French for jewel).

It was a transliteration of "美獣 Bijuu" slight spoilers for the character beautiful beast roughly, the fan translation did the same with the crimson wizard (紅煉の魔道師 kouren no madoushi) and the count of the evil eye(邪眼の伯爵 jagan no hakushaku) probably because they are more like titles than names and thinking about it a bit, there was a severe problem with text space as well.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 20, 2020

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I grew up hearing Lise, Carlie, and Hawk but im used to the correct terms due to exposure for so long.
All the art ive seen that its Riesz, prolly because too many funny times with Hawkeye and Riesz is an actual name.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 20, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I wanna know if they came up with Deathjester based completely on looks and without regard to the original Japanese.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
He was man who eats death "死を食う者shi wo kuu mono" so sorta I suppose.
In retrospect Malocchio, Goremand, and Belladonna ended up fitting pretty well I think.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 20, 2020

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wait was the deathjester TL meant to be a portmanteau of "death" and "digest(er)" all along? :aaaaa:

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Wait was the deathjester TL meant to be a portmanteau of "death" and "digest(er)" all along? :aaaaa:

If they did it on purpose it should have been diejester lol.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's German for "the jester".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BrokenLink posted:

It was a transliteration of "美獣 Bijuu" slight spoilers for the character beautiful beast roughly, the fan translation did the same with the crimson wizard (紅煉の魔道師 kouren no madoushi) and the count of the evil eye(邪眼の伯爵 jagan no hakushaku) probably because they are more like titles than names and thinking about it a bit, there was a severe problem with text space as well.

I was just trying to look up the Crimson Wizard's name and was really confused why the wiki didn't include it. Never realized Kouren was a translation hiccup.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He introduces himself as Goremand the death devourer in Kevin's intro.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Demo was good. Biggest shocks were gay Lumina and Kevin swimming across the loving ocean because he's too dumb to get a boat.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Beefstew posted:

Demo was good. Biggest shocks were gay Lumina and Kevin swimming across the loving ocean because he's too dumb to get a boat.

He actually does swim in the original! But it's such a quick scene it's easy to miss. I love that they expanded on those little things. And don't call my boi dumb :(

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

gandlethorpe posted:

He actually does swim in the original! But it's such a quick scene it's easy to miss. I love that they expanded on those little things. And don't call my boi dumb :(

I love Kevin and his big idiot head. I always pick Kevin. Kevin's my boy.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

seiferguy posted:

Are they still going to have gacha / RNG methods to get the item you need?

Most likely, though cheating the RNG will likely be possible.

Roobanguy posted:

As a dirty pc player who can’t get a demo, how does Duran play? He was always the most boring physical attacker in the original.

I like him. His attack strings are slow and he can't dodge out of attacks as good as Hawkeye can, but he's sturdy and all of his attacks are useful at what they do and hit hard. He's your designated tank this time around compared to Kevin being your all-out damage dealer.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I took the personality test and got Kevin. I’m not so sure about that... I’m gonna try the demo on both PS4 and Switch to see which one I like more, so I’ll probably play as Kevin in one just because.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I took the personality test

Here's a link to that if anyone wants to take it: https://trialsofmanaquiz.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/quiz

e: I got Duran. Nice, I'll take that :)

timp fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 20, 2020

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I took the personality test and got Kevin.

I got Riesz which probably fits and who I was going to start with anyway, but what kind of a loving monster makes an internet personality test with time limits?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

timp posted:

Here's a link to that if anyone wants to take it: https://trialsofmanaquiz.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/quiz

e: I got Duran. Nice, I'll take that :)

I got Angela.

Well, she fits given that I prefer spellcasters in JRPGs. It's why I'm taking Hawkeye since he's the closest thing the game's got to a male spellcaster.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I got Charlotte. brb going to change my personality

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

I got Angela.

Well, she fits given that I prefer spellcasters in JRPGs. It's why I'm taking Hawkeye since he's the closest thing the game's got to a male spellcaster.

I mean, he's not the closest thing. He is a male spellcaster: his damaging options hit as hard as Angela's, just from a slightly lesser stat due to his more balanced stat spread. A lot of people like to make him a physical attacker due to his double hit, but being able to hit things doesn't make his magic damage any less exciting or his support spells any less useful.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Aww man, Hawkeye's ninja spells aren't officially called jutsus :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Got Hawkeye, too. Don't understand the need for time limits, either. What happens if you let it run out? Do you get Charlotte points for being lazy, or Kevin points for being dumb?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Goremand is a :discourse: level pun
Also Malocchio is an inspired translation for Jagen/Earl of the Evil Eye

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Beefstew posted:

That's not what I got from Lumina at all, it was more "hey Jake, want to do a voice in this?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Got Hawkeye, too. Don't understand the need for time limits, either. What happens if you let it run out? Do you get Charlotte points for being lazy, or Kevin points for being dumb?

If you let about 5 run out it makes you start over. What the what?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Bruceski posted:

That's not what I got from Lumina at all, it was more "hey Jake, want to do a voice in this?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Personality quiz gave me Duran,
which is absolutely odd since Im pretty sure stuff I chose goes directly against what hes all about.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Nice got Hawkeye, which I'm planning to run through with Riesz. Just can't decide on a third (that isn't Charlotte).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kinda lame the english side didn't give the full quiz. The japanese quiz gave you a full party composition.

For anyone who is curious.

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/seiken3_tom/shindan/

Google translate can grab most of it (by which I mean, point your phone gtranslate app at it)

Allarion fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 20, 2020

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Allarion posted:

Kinda lame the english side didn't give the full quiz. The japanese quiz gave you a full party composition.

For anyone who is curious.

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/seiken3_tom/shindan/

Google translate can grab most of it (by which I mean, point your phone gtranslate app at it)
Duran, Hawkeye, and Charlotte.

Welp, that's 1 out of the 3 I picked.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I didn't like Secret of Mana, I didn't care much for SD3, I hated Sword of Mana, and I'm saying all that to state that I loving love this game. My "actual" team is Angela/Kevin/Riesz. When I started playing as Angela my feelings were "Oh hey combat is kind of neat. Definitely better than the original." Once I got Kevin, though, that's when I was all in, he's such a blast to play as, rushing in quickly and laying down the hurt and then dodging away before the enemy can get a hit in. I love it.

It feels very Dynasty Warriors in a way, with the weak/strong attacks and the different combos, and what are essentially Musou attacks, and I enjoy the bonus exp for beating enemies fast and without taking damage.

The animations are kind of stiff and the voice acting is mostly disappointing, but they're not completely intolerable* and the combat is so great that those things don't matter. I probably won't be getting this game right off the bat but I'll definitely grab it at some point in the future.

* Except Charlotte. She's completely intolerable. I hope she's gone forever after Wendel.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I didn't like Secret of Mana, I didn't care much for SD3, I hated Sword of Mana, and I'm saying all that to state that I loving love this game. My "actual" team is Angela/Kevin/Riesz. When I started playing as Angela my feelings were "Oh hey combat is kind of neat. Definitely better than the original." Once I got Kevin, though, that's when I was all in, he's such a blast to play as, rushing in quickly and laying down the hurt and then dodging away before the enemy can get a hit in. I love it.

It feels very Dynasty Warriors in a way, with the weak/strong attacks and the different combos, and what are essentially Musou attacks, and I enjoy the bonus exp for beating enemies fast and without taking damage.

The animations are kind of stiff and the voice acting is mostly disappointing, but they're not completely intolerable* and the combat is so great that those things don't matter. I probably won't be getting this game right off the bat but I'll definitely grab it at some point in the future.

* Except Charlotte. She's completely intolerable. I hope she's gone forever after Wendel.

It’s good to hear from folks who weren’t fans of SD3; I know that my impressions will always be skewed by my love of the original game so I’m always curious how this game comes across when it has to stand on its own. I’ve recommended it to a few friends who are not familiar with the original (the free demo is an easy sell) so we’ll see what they think!

Agreed about the combat. I agree with those who have said it’s too easy, but I can also see the potential within the system for it to be difficult enough in the right places. The early game was always easy, but if something like the boss fight on the ghost ship ends up easy, that’ll probably be a good indicator that the whole game is balanced too easy. Of course there’s always the late game bosses too, I’ll definitely expect those to be difficult.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Twelve by Pies posted:

She will (likely) appear one more time in the story to help you through a forest maze then you hear more about her backstory and that’s pretty much it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Who huwt youw?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Can't believe they made Charlotte a Patriots fan, smdh. Is my playthrough gonna have a mid game rant about how Tawm Bwady is a GOAT?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
I can see it now
"Tauchdown Tawm is the gweatesht fwootball puwayer of wall time"
"Fwuck the Giwants"

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 21, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I knew exactly what this was before I clicked on it :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I played the demo and turns out I am a weeabo?!?!

Very hyped for this release, I played SK3 way too many times as a kid and the demo hit all the nostalgia notes without spoiling them which is quite a feat for a remake.