Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I thought the episode was pretty exciting and liked the Roddenberry-era new age commune aesthetic throwback. I also like it when shows go a little off the rails at the end, so this proves not to disappoint.

I've really enjoyed seeing Patrick Stewart take his performance as Picard from "enfeebled old husk" to rediscovering the confident and commanding presence he used to have.

I don't play video games and don't know anything about Mass Effect outside of the context gleaned from this thread, so I could care less about how this plot compares. I think the Clarke-esque mysterious super-synths is a cool idea.

I guess I'm just a "glass is half full" sort of guy. :shrug: :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
this show cribs from other poo poo more and worse than ds9 supposedly lifted from babylon 5 and it would be embarrassing if it weren't so baffling and hilarious

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Voyager theme was used as a motif when Seven appeared this week.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

what's a 'moid?

For context, it’s a diminutive of the term “femoid”, a word groady Reddit/4chan/incel grognards use rather than “woman” or “female” for all sorts of obvious gross reasons.

It’s basically :females: but in real life.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The show wildly veers between overarching plot nonsense and being extremely aware in the moment. It was good when Picard gave his big speech and nobody buys it. And they're right not to buy it. The show is going to reverse ferret at the last moment so that Picard is right, but every individual scene is well done.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah as much of a cop out as it would be, I'd certainly enjoy it if the beacon makes Q show up and just punk a bunch of Romulans. Hell, have DeLancie Q from the human beat and another Q from the Romulan beat show up, why should humanity be the only species that's being observed and put on trial? This big ol' murder fleet could be the Romulans failing their Q test and being bopped on the nose appropriately for it.

I'm fully convinced Picard's getting his health issues solved in the most obvious way here, and I think that would have the potential to solve a lot of problems in the short term and long term, and it's a pretty drat solid hook for future seasons to me. It's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of Tea Earl Grey Hot if they do it, but hey I'm willing to give them a swing at it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

That episode was downright awful, shockingly I don't even have any positives to remark upon this week. I can't see any path to getting a satisfying ending by this point.

See y'all next week for the thrilling conclusion!

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Picard will die and the gang of rag-tag whatsernames will rename their ship the Picard; that's why further seasons will still be called Star Trek: Picard.

It's actually Gold Soji who's Lore, somehow.

The robot body turns out to already have a consciousness. It's, um, Tuvix, why not.

The super synth armada emerges from a higher plane of existence, led not by Q but by Wesley and Sisko, who have been doing an interdimensional buddy cop movie this entire time.

EDIT: Oh and obviously the transcendent super synths are all salamanders. Should go without saying.

Chicken Parmigiana fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 20, 2020

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So mind melding is now just a thing you can learn from studying really hard, even if you're a robot? I always thought it was an innate Vulcan thing. Have there ever been any other instances of non-Vulcans using it in Trek lore before?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mind melds can be done to robots and rocks, so why not by robots and rocks

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
There are so many stupid moments, bits of dialogue and characterisations firing off so rapidly in this latest episode you barely have time to process one before the next flies at you. It's like the script was a rushed first draft thrown together the night before it was due.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I mean, I can buy a biological android being able to develop whatever lets Vulcans do it. Spock could do it, and he's only half Vulcan, so it's either all training, or there's a genetic, and therefore biological, component.

I mean, this is the universe where people gain godlike powers just by being raised by aliens on the regular.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Androids can learn how to mind-meld?

Mind-melding is something anyone can learn how to do if you just read enough books about Vulcans?

Fascinating.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Things I am confident we are not seeing in this show:

-Q
-Enterprise
-Robot Picard

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Things I am confident we are not seeing in this show:

-Q
-Enterprise
-Robot Picard

-A coherent ending

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, I can buy a biological android being able to develop whatever lets Vulcans do it. Spock could do it, and he's only half Vulcan, so it's either all training, or there's a genetic, and therefore biological, component.

I mean, this is the universe where people gain godlike powers just by being raised by aliens on the regular.

Nah, I think this is one of those things where Star Trek firmly planted it's flag in the 'soft sci-fi' territory. There are some things in the Star Trek universe that are beyond comprehension, from Mind Melds to the wormhole aliens to Q. Keeping those unknowable's there adds to the sense of curiosity and exploration and gives the writers a bit of scope to invoke magic when they need to.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

You had an extra word in there.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm still sticking to my prediction that Picard's katra gets transferred to Seven so that Jeri Ryan gets to play both Seven and Picard next season. They can have P-Stew provide voice overs or show up as hallucinations from time to time.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Lister posted:

I just watched the scene again and Raffi says they're warbirds. They threw out the iconic design of the romulan warbird from TNG in favor of something that looks like a fighter jet. Why?

Even the Warbirds from Nemesis were good designs that looked like a natural evolution from the TNG models.

All ship designs after Nemesis except the Discovery Enterprise and the D7 suck. That includes Enterprise.

They threw out every bit of continuity in classes in favor of "looks cool." The Discovery ships don't fall in line with TOS. The Picard ships don't fall in line with the end of DS9 and Voyager. Enterprise was too modern overall. the 09 movies were too big, but I get why they did it. The Kelvin should have looked more old-TOS though.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Alchenar posted:

Nah, I think this is one of those things where Star Trek firmly planted it's flag in the 'soft sci-fi' territory. There are some things in the Star Trek universe that are beyond comprehension, from Mind Melds to the wormhole aliens to Q. Keeping those unknowable's there adds to the sense of curiosity and exploration and gives the writers a bit of scope to invoke magic when they need to.

Nah. TOS had this sort of thing on the regular. Truth verifiers, mind reprogramming, mind wipes, hell, Spock straight-up mind-melded with the Nomad probe. If a machine can participate in a mind meld, it can initiate one.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

They kind of shot themselves in the foot calling the show "Picard." There are so many more possibilities we could entertain for its direction after this season if it were called anything else. Instead all theories have to include mental gymnastics for "how the hell is Picard going to keep figuring into this?"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They kind of shot themselves in the foot calling the show "Picard." There are so many more possibilities we could entertain for its direction after this season if it were called anything else. Instead all theories have to include mental gymnastics for "how the hell is Picard going to keep figuring into this?"

Star Trek: John Luck Pickerd

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

Nah. TOS had this sort of thing on the regular. Truth verifiers, mind reprogramming, mind wipes, hell, Spock straight-up mind-melded with the Nomad probe. If a machine can participate in a mind meld, it can initiate one.

I feel like they should have had little greebles come out of the android's fingertips, or made something glow, or literally anything to indicate it was some sort of mechanical version of a mind meld so this scene didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lizard Combatant posted:

That episode was downright awful, shockingly I don't even have any positives to remark upon this week. I can't see any path to getting a satisfying ending by this point.

You and I have disagreed a bit in this thread, but this time... you're 100% right. They're finally revealing mysteries and bringing the plot threads together, and it's just not clicking at all. And I was so hopeful just a week ago. :(

Only a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned yet:

- A Borg cube is 3km on a side, according to a quick google. Standing on the ground, that'd be the height of a 750-story building. Assuming Soji's old room was somewhere in the middle, that puts it a few hundred stories up from the bottom. And with the power off and major structural damage, that means a hell of a lot of stairs. I hope she doesn't get tired anymore now that the knows she's a robit, because she just did the equivalent of climbing the Sears Tower three or four times in a row to go smile at a couple of photos.

- Hello. My name is Inigo Soong. You killed my father sort-of-brother. Prepare to die.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It is my head cannon now that the Soong men have been reproducing exclusively via cloning since at least the Enterprise era

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I hated the ship fighting in this episode. Star trek has been about phasers and torpedos that computers aim, not having to point my stupid ship at the enemy ship in 3d space before I can get a firing solution ugh

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vehementi posted:

I hated the ship fighting in this episode. Star trek has been about phasers and torpedos that computers aim, not having to point my stupid ship at the enemy ship in 3d space before I can get a firing solution ugh

This is a weird complaint.

The Romulan ship was basically a Shuttle Craft fitted for combat chasing a ship classified as a "Speed Freighter". If they faught like capital ships it'd have looked dumb as hell.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

If I was a hack writer on the show, I would retcon the Borg as some ancient race's attempt to save all biological life in the galaxy by forcibly hybriding it with technology to the point that the super synth recognize it as good enough not to destroy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha the writers couldn't be bothered to figure out there's already a real life name for a fast cargo ship and it's called fast courier and this type of ship has already been mentioned in Trek canon and is pretty much the same shape as the hero ship in Picard.

Speed freighter lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I feel like they should have had little greebles come out of the android's fingertips, or made something glow, or literally anything to indicate it was some sort of mechanical version of a mind meld so this scene didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

But these new synths have been explicitly stated to be vat-grown biological bodies with synthetic minds.

MichiganCubbie posted:

All ship designs after Nemesis except the Discovery Enterprise and the D7 suck. That includes Enterprise.

Against all odds, Enterpise did a spectacular job with prequel Klingon ship designs. They fit perfectly as older but part of the same lineage of designs, introduced their own aesthetic elements and style for the era, and still looked good and cool.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 20, 2020

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

AndyElusive posted:

This is a weird complaint.

The Romulan ship was basically a Shuttle Craft fitted for combat chasing a ship classified as a "Speed Freighter". If they faught like capital ships it'd have looked dumb as hell.

What would be dumb as hell is if they didn't trivially have auto aim laser turrets controlled by computers. Why would they even be dodging, it's computers and lasers. I guess in older shows they do miss sometimes so super lovely computers are canon? :/

It did not look like any star trek battle to date. Even fights with runabouts or shuttles weren't these zippy jet fighter duels, they were more like, of course my computer controlled ship can hit them, what subsystem do we want to focus on when we automatically hit?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vehementi posted:

What would be dumb as hell is if they didn't trivially have auto aim laser turrets controlled by computers. Why would they even be dodging, it's computers and lasers. I guess in older shows they do miss sometimes so super lovely computers are canon? :/

It did not look like any star trek battle to date. Even fights with runabouts or shuttles weren't these zippy jet fighter duels, they were more like, of course my computer controlled ship can hit them, what subsystem do we want to focus on when we automatically hit?

The Defiant on DS9 literally had pulse phasers that shot straight out and infront of it like the machine guns on a World War 1 Fokker. You fokker.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
...Dual Phaser Cannons.

I think the NX-01 blended-body exterior makes sense for a civilization maybe still stuck on aircraft vs. spacecraft design.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

MichiganCubbie posted:

The USS Shenzhou is pretty good but the rest of the fleet didn't look enough like the TOS ships they should have still been.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Vehementi posted:

There's probably a lot of ECM and ECCM involved.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Vehementi posted:

Oh piss off. I'm sorry but of all the things to complain about that is loving absurd.

"Dynamic small ship combat, in my Star Trek? By god I want rails and static shots!"

Ship battles on Trek used to rely on actors wobbling about like they had haemorrhoids on a dirt road because the ships were models on sticks. They don't need to be that poo poo any more. Nor should they.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Stop me if I'm wrong but didn't soong die during tng

Who is this guy

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Watch the episode?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Stop me if I'm wrong but didn't soong die during tng

Who is this guy

Son of Soong, whom we have never heard existed before this episode. ("My father rarely acknowledged my existence" or something like that, was the line in the episode.) Some people believe it's actually Lore being his usual pranksy self.

quote:

little ships fighting

Yeah, the Defiant and Runabouts all did this stuff before. Also the fire control systems on a "speed freighter" (ugh, why couldn't they call it a fast courier ffs) probably aren't as awesome as those on a Starfleet ship. It's fine.

Nothing is ever gonna be Wrath of Khan again anyway. We should just accept that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I mean wrath of Khan was about an aging main character coming to terms with his mortality set against a foil character who was unwilling to let go of the past.

How could they possibly have made anything like that?