Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:sigh: I love my island, apples, and blue airport, but I'm really starting to dislike my companions. I got Tank and Rocket and they're both pretty meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

i vomit kittens posted:

A note to anyone who hasn't started playing yet: If you have a couple island layouts to choose from that you like, definitely go with one that doesn't have too many rivers. I picked one that had a mini island near the center to build my house on, but with the way the water flows I'm stuck on a small 1/3rd of the total area because I don't have a pole vault or bridges yet :(

Related to that, I know you can move your house/big buildings like the museum, but what about other villager's houses? My small starting area is kind of cramped and I'd like to spread things out more once I have the ability to do so.

You can easily get the pole in 1 day.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
villager posting? villager posting. Got these three so far:

Only cute villagers allowed on my island. Dom is extra adorable, but unfortunately, is a jock. drat you, Dom.

Clocks posted:

Also you can flat out shovel and replant entire trees. I took some coconut trees and extra apple trees home from the deserted island I visited, as well as some flowers. The benefit to this is you don't need to wait extra days for them to grow on your island, the only downside is it takes a fruit-energy to do. It's also helpful if you want to do landscaping on your town without straight up chopping down trees. Cheers everyone!
Being able to just straight up uproot a tree and shove it into your pocket is simultaneously the greatest and funniest addition to the game

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I got Dierdre the Deer and a big red Hippo dude whose name I forget that talks about biceps

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

roomtwofifteen posted:

Yeah my wife and I ran into this already a little. As Player 2 she couldn't give the initial donations to start the museum process/get early recipes like the axe. I had to go in and do that. It does sound like after everything's doled out and the game is open that things will be relatively the same for both players.

How sure are you about the latter part there? I've heard that player 2 (or 3 or 4 or whatever) cannot do any number of the following:

* terraforming
* invite villagers in any way
* move things around on the island, at least not everything that P1 can
* basically anything except upgrade your own house.

I have no idea what the actual situation is because I keep hearing people confirming all or none of the things as problems. Does anyone actually know what P2 can't do that P1 can?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess I’m tapped out on day one. Did pretty much everything I can think of. Tried to use a Nook Ticket to fly and buy a shovel but the Airport dude is adamant that he’s just opening and they’re not doing flights today.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Aardvark Barber posted:

You can easily get the pole in 1 day.

You get it from Blathers right? I marked out a spot for his tent but I didn't think he would actually show up until Day 2

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

i vomit kittens posted:

You get it from Blathers right? I marked out a spot for his tent but I didn't think he would actually show up until Day 2

That's what I meant. One day from now you can get it.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

My AC Switch and the game turned up at midday today. I also got the carry case and a tote bag. I'm all AC-ed up.

I got a blue airport, which I wanted, and oranges as my fruit, which I'm fine with. My starting villagers are Sylvia (who will not be allowed to stick around on my wonderful island) and Bam (meh).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

an angry penguin posted:

My AC Switch and the game turned up at midday today. I also got the carry case and a tote bag. I'm all AC-ed up.

I got a blue airport, which I wanted, and oranges as my fruit, which I'm fine with. My starting villagers are Sylvia (who will not be allowed to stick around on my wonderful island) and Bam (meh).

What do you have against that nice kangaroo lady? I got her too and she seems fine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

inferis posted:

There was a legit penis lake on one of the maps I had to choose from, I’m at work right now but I’ll post the screenshot when I get home.

Man I saw a bunch of those yesterday when scumming for my perfect layout.

i vomit kittens posted:

A note to anyone who hasn't started playing yet: If you have a couple island layouts to choose from that you like, definitely go with one that doesn't have too many rivers. I picked one that had a mini island near the center to build my house on, but with the way the water flows I'm stuck on a small 1/3rd of the total area because I don't have a pole vault or bridges yet :(

Related to that, I know you can move your house/big buildings like the museum, but what about other villager's houses? My small starting area is kind of cramped and I'd like to spread things out more once I have the ability to do so.

This is very short term advice, you'll only be trapped in that initial area for a few days and after that you can spread out as you please.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Aardvark Barber posted:

You got it. The first character to launch the game is the lead character on the island.

What does "lead character" mean in gameplay terms? If I start the island as main character and my son on other profile starts playing how is he limited?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Clocks posted:

I've been doing rocks all wrong. For whatever reason I was just straight up shoveling them which was, uh, just leaving me with a small rock. Apparently if you hit them with a stone axe they vomit goodies at you. I'm going to have to grind some miles to go to a deserted island to get the iron to get the shop building.
Wait. What? Are you sure? My axe just looks like it's going to break when I try to hit rocks with it.

EDIT: also do we ever get the ability to reorganize our pockets?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Wait. What? Are you sure? My axe just looks like it's going to break when I try to hit rocks with it.

I am sure of this, yes. It'll do the bounce off if you've already run the rock dry, possibly including with the shovel.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

schwein11 posted:

What does "lead character" mean in gameplay terms? If I start the island as main character and my son on other profile starts playing how is he limited?

I didn't actually play with more than one player on my island yet but:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fluyqu/animal_crossing_new_horizons_users_reporting/

This thread seems to go into more detail.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Hold A on an item. You can move it around.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Got Diva and Pierce for my first two hoopleheads, along with apples. Trying to get everything done so my wife isn't quite as hamstrung when she starts up later today, but it's already so nice and calm. Just what I needed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Does anyone know anything about adding your tune to the game? I just assumed it'd be there from the start but maybe not as I haven't seen an option.

my buddy Superfly posted:

This game is extremely good, I made another drawing of doom guy hanging out with isabelle because they're friends.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1241059167642824706
Also these are awesome and I didn't want them to be lost near the bottom of a page.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

I am sure of this, yes. It'll do the bounce off if you've already run the rock dry, possibly including with the shovel.
You're absolutely right, and thank you so much. This is so much better.

Aardvark Barber posted:

Hold A on an item. You can move it around.
Bless you. Thanks!

Also what triggers getting your free Ticket from Nook? I have one but my SO hasn't gotten hers yet.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Clocks posted:

I've been doing rocks all wrong. For whatever reason I was just straight up shoveling them which was, uh, just leaving me with a small rock. Apparently if you hit them with a stone axe they vomit goodies at you. I'm going to have to grind some miles to go to a deserted island to get the iron to get the shop building.

It's eating fruit! If you have 1/10 (or more) fruit in your belly, you'll destroy the rock with any tool (at least, I was doing so with a flimsy axe.) If you want to farm the rock (and digging a hole behind you is still necessary to ~*min/max*~) you gotta go cut down a tree or something to get down to 0/10. I don't like this! Might just perpetually starve myself until rock materials aren't in high demand.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Anyone know the difference between a flimsy axe and a stone axe?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hihohe posted:

Anyone know the difference between a flimsy axe and a stone axe?

Stone axe is more durable.

Its got the durability of the iron axe but doesn't cut down trees.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I played AC on the 3DS and liked it, is the Switch version good enough that I should go buy a Switch?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So my wife never got the flimsy axe recipe but I have one. How do the other residents actually get it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sedisp posted:

So my wife never got the flimsy axe recipe but I have one. How do the other residents actually get it?

buy it from the nooks

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sedisp posted:

You can buy one from Nook's kid. Also Nook gives you the recipe after you donate some stuff and talk to him a bit, IIRC.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Infinitum posted:

:siren: Gangtag Cut-off Warning :siren:

You have 36 hours from time of this post to request this fantabulous gangtag

After that you need to buy it yourself.

Remember to say 'please' when doing so, or imma probe you.

I'd like this gangtag please.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Poopernickel posted:

I played AC on the 3DS and liked it, is the Switch version good enough that I should go buy a Switch?

It's better in just about every way so far and the Switch is a great system on it's own.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Does anyone know if it's possible to do local wireless and couch co-op at the same time?

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Sydin posted:

You can buy one from Nook's kid. Also Nook gives you the recipe after you donate some stuff and talk to him a bit, IIRC.

Can't donate stuff as the second player (at least if the first player has already donated 5)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Poopernickel posted:

Buy a Switch regardless.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Something that's saving me a lot of hassle is this: place a DIY crafting station anywhere outside that's easily accessible and just dump all your materials around it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Can't donate stuff as the second player (at least if the first player has already donated 5)

Can’t you just drop stuff for her to pick up? You can also use Nook miles to get the Pretty Good tier recipes for 3000 miles

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:negative: I wish I had time to play last night when the game went live. I have to wait another whole day (hopefully just a day?) for Blathers cuz I've pulled every weed and paid off my tent already and there's nothing else to do.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/CrikMaster/status/1241092200831709184?s=20

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

Can’t you just drop stuff for her to pick up? You can also use Nook miles to get the Pretty Good tier recipes for 3000 miles

Well I did just find out that Timmy's shop has a whole new page of stuff like axe and slingshot recipe when you press R

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Poopernickel posted:

It's awesome. It's the upgrade to New Leaf we've all been waiting for for like 8 years now. The only immediate downside I can come up with so far is it's just a touch less convenient due to the lack of a second screen (gotta stand still for a second to see the map pop up, inventory management is a little more tedious with no touch screen, etc.) Just nitpicking, though. Other than that it's amazing.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

enojy posted:

It's awesome. It's the upgrade to New Leaf we've all been waiting for for like 8 years now. The only immediate downside I can come up with so far is it's just a touch less convenient due to the lack of a second screen (gotta stand still for a second to see the map pop up, inventory management is a little more tedious with no touch screen, etc.) Just nitpicking, though. Other than that it's amazing.

if you go into the map app on the the nookphone and press x you can set the minimap to display at all times

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
Man I am bad at playing this game the way you're supposed to. I logged in at 12am on release to get the D1 stuff over with & then spent the entire day today grinding. I went to visit uninhabited islands 5 different times today and didn't like a single villager I met. I still invited three of them tho cos wanna get the ball rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

How do you vist the Uninhabited island?