Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

Bernie's doing exactly what he needs to be doing. He has implicitly yielded the nomination, knowing that there is essentially no way he can win now, but is not officially dropping out so he can use his campaign structure to draw attention to the fight to help people.

Doesnt he know that the respectable thing to do is withdraw completely from politics and go on as many platforms as possible to bitch about how he deserved the presidency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sharkie posted:

Does anyone have any contacts with Biden's campaign? For 5,000 I will tell them YouTube and Skype exist. And for just 500 each I'll tell them the twitters of people who work at all major networks.

They want as few people to see Biden as possible from now till the election. It's a strategy.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/LissandraVilla/status/1241083781932560386

this is beyond parody

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Lol if Biden's campaign falls apart because there weren't any young 'ns around to do computers

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

It's a fundraising and mail list creation technique.

It's the same reason campaigns will send you surveys and ask for "suggestions" to see who responds.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's the same reason campaigns will send you surveys and ask for "suggestions" to see who responds.

"He's intentionally looking like an incompetent oaf" is not a great defense.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

joepinetree posted:

"He's intentionally looking like an incompetent oaf" is not a great defense.

It's a pitch as old as time. You ask for "input" and the people who respond are the people you target for mail lists and donations. Every fundraising pitch or ask is one of two formats: 1) The sky is falling if we don't get $5 right now. 2) Really stupid question that we need your input on!

Bernie sent me surveys asking for campaign strategy input on whether he "should speak with the people of Iowa to share my vision" or if he should "hold high-dollar fundraisers with special interest groups."

Trump sends out surveys asking people for stories of how they drove family members crazy during arguments.

In 2008, Obama sent out surveys asking if he should drop out after losing Pennsylvania or if he should keep trying to bring needed change to America.

Dumb political mail list generators, fundraising asks, and "interactivity" like selfie lines are the norm for campaigns now. For better or worse.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 20, 2020

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
hey remember that clip where Joe Biden said Millenials hadn't suffered at all and he didn't have any sympathy for them

lol, cant imagine that coming up again

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Love my brilliant mail list creation technique of "I AM TRAPPED IN THE BATHROOM BY A SCARY BUG. It's near the door, any ideas on how to escape??" for my loving presidential campaign.

It's a pitch as old as time.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

It's a pitch as old as time. You ask for "input" and the people who respond are the people you target for mail lists and donations. Every fundraising pitch or ask is one of two formats: 1) The sky is falling if we don't get $5 right now. 2) Really stupid question that we need your input on!

Bernie sent me surveys asking for campaign strategy input on whether he "should speak with the people of Iowa to share my vision" or if he should "hold high-dollar fundraisers with special interest groups."

Trump sends out surveys asking people for stories of how they drove family members crazy during arguments.

In 2008, Obama sent out surveys asking if he should drop out after losing Pennsylvania or if he should keep trying to bring needed change to America.

Dumb political mail list generators, fundraising asks, and "interactivity" like selfie lines are the norm for campaigns now. For better or worse.

These things aren't supposed to make the candidate sound incompetent, you moron.

What's next? "Does Joe sound like he is suffering from dementia? Answer the survey!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sharkie posted:

Love my brilliant mail list creation technique of "I AM TRAPPED IN THE BATHROOM BY A SCARY BUG. It's near the door, any ideas on how to escape??" for my loving presidential campaign.

It's a pitch as old as time.

The sad thing is that you're not far off from how fundraising asks are actually pitched.

Seeing the actual data of what asks are most effective is one of the most depressing things possible.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The $14 million just makes me think about Bloomberg's $700 million and his pathetic returns on it.

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1241105407562502144?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Unoriginal Name posted:

hey remember that clip where Joe Biden said Millenials hadn't suffered at all and he didn't have any sympathy for them

They made it clear that they don't need us to win and that we should go gently caress ourselves.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The sad thing is that you're not far off from how fundraising asks are actually pitched.

Seeing the actual data of what asks are most effective is one of the most depressing things possible.

The sad thing is that if Biden whipped his wrinkly little old man dick out in the middle of a speech, you'd be here defending it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sharkie posted:

The sad thing is that if Biden whipped his wrinkly little old man dick out in the middle of a speech, you'd be here defending it.

I'm not defending it. I actually hate those terrible concept asks.

But, one person seemed to genuinely think they were asking for help.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Unoriginal Name posted:

Now now, it's not that millennials hadn't suffered, it's that he knows they are suffering and thinks they should just deal with it because he had to at their age. His great dead heroes who can't call out his selfish nonsense most certainly agree.

It's just life man, deal with it, says the man vying to have your vote this November

E: I dumb at months, listening to a conference call about school cancellations.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 20, 2020

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I'm not defending it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Call to action asks are the cringiest pitches.They seem so ridiculously stupid, that you can't imagine people actually responding or being prompted to donate. But, they are depressingly the most effective.

I worked for a major national union for a while and the most effective asks we had were:

1) An emergency "call to action" where we claim that there are only 24 hours until some deadline or that we are being outspent 5 to 1 on some metric and all is doomed.
2) Surveys where we ask people what they would do if they were in charge of running the organization for a day.
3) Trying to get people to donate some weirdly specific amount of money, like $22.22 or $29 as a sign of solidarity.

We had "impact" asks where we showed people the successes or outlined principles and they always crashed and burned.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Do you guys remember the Mike Gravel Campaign? Does anyone else find it worrying that now two campaigns in the 2020 Democratic primary have faced suspicion that their candidate is either dead or not lucid enough to be aware that they're running for president?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gripweed posted:

Do you guys remember the Mike Gravel Campaign? Does anyone else find it worrying that now two campaigns in the 2020 Democratic primary have faced suspicion that their candidate is either dead or not lucid enough to be aware that they're running for president?

Gravel classic is the only canon Gravel campaign.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I never really heard that about Mike Gravel, also he made it clear from the beginning that he was just trying to make it to the first debate and was then going to donate all his campaign funds to whoever matched his positions best. Really wish he had made it.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

You're probably right on the VP. But, being VP hasn't been a sure-thing for the nomination in a while.

I don't buy the "Biden has 4 months to live" idea. He's a lifelong teetotaler, is not overweight, has no history of cancer or heart problems, and access to extremely good healthcare. It's not wild to assume that he lives to - at the very least - the average American life expectancy. Old man brain? Sure. But, how likely is he to have a below average lifespan?

So this is by far the least egregious mistruth you've posted but he's already exceeded the average life expectancy for his birth year by about a decade. Unless you're talking about the 2018 numbers for life expectancy of people at age 75, which seems an extremely dishonest way to talk about it without explicitly saying so.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eminai posted:

So this is by far the least egregious mistruth you've posted but he's already exceeded the average life expectancy for his birth year by about a decade. Unless you're talking about the 2018 numbers for life expectancy of people at age 75, which seems an extremely dishonest way to talk about it without explicitly saying so.

No need to be egregiously hostile.

Social Security Administration says the average male who makes it to 77 will live 10 more years. It's 11.6 for women.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Social Security Administration says the average male who makes it to 77 will live 10 more years. It's 11.6 for women.

I like how despite me pointing out that using life expectancy based on current age is dishonest, you just said that's what you did without bothering to justify it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The President is not the average male in terms of stress level. Biden "would" be taking the helm at the beginning of what could be the largest financial crisis in US history, Possibly millions of deaths, and a yet unknown post-CV19 conflict .

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eminai posted:

I like how despite me pointing out that using life expectancy based on current age is dishonest, you just said that's what you did without bothering to justify it.

An actuarial table is an estimate of how long someone will live from their current level. The Social Security Administration uses 2015 as the baseline.

Someone who was 77 in 2015, would have been born 5 years before Biden and would be likely to live to approximately age 87 with a 4% chance of dying within a year.

I legitimately don't know what you are upset about.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The President is not the average male in terms of stress level. Biden "would" be taking the helm at the beginning of what could be the largest financial crisis in US history, Possibly millions of deaths, and a yet unknown post-CV19 conflict .

If you think he won't make it 8 years, then that's fine.

The other person was saying that he was likely to die before the convention. Biden's weight and health are above average for an American of his age. The average American of his age has a 4% chance to die in the next year. It would be less than a 1% chance to die in the next 4 months.

It is statistically very very unlikely that he will die before the convention, let alone "almost assured" that he will die before then or before the election.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm reminded of the Christian movie that came out after he won where satan was portrayed by an Obama lookalike

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/1241076376440012800

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's only reasonable to assume that Joseph Biden passed away sometime within the past 48 hours. How this will effect the convention, I don't know. But unless some surprising new evidence proves otherwise, I will presume that he is dead.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This image depicts a normal course of aging for a man in his late forties and early fifties. Maybe better. Which makes sense considering Obama is a notorious health nut.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I think Clyburn might just be a loving moron.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
xpost, but lmao the rona is gonna forcibly compel us to institute m4a:

https://twitter.com/HaleyLive/status/1241116745009684486

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

Clyburn is 80, so good old old person brain also checks out

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Clyburn is 80, so good old old person brain also checks out

He also is exhibiting signs of a staggering pharma bucks addiction.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Eminai posted:

:confused:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mcmagic posted:

Possibly incentivized by being in the cohort having 14.8% mortality rate if infected. It seems a lot of people's politics are much more fluid and left-wing, when it's their head on block.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Raskolnikov38 posted:

where the hell is joe? society is coming apart at the seams and he’s the apparent nominee but he hasn’t been seen for nearly 72 hours after this:

https://twitter.com/jackallisonlol/status/1240989600215994368?s=21
Same.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1241073884994195459?s=20

Yeah, okay, Joe, maybe someday this magic technology to talk to people through the internet will actually exist, you fuckin' wacjkob. This guy's losing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Bernie Sanders is my President.