Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My one and only complaint about NH is that I can’t batch drop things off for Blathers. That’s it. I love the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i asked previously but didn't consider that the game wasn't out in the US yet at that point so most of you weren't actually playing the game yet -

any y'all started time traveling yet? how's it treating ya?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What are those x/10 apple marker things denoting? I ate 10 apples and they slowly go down but I have no idea what benefits it gives.

Also, is there a way for me to swap out my Islanders? I have a really dumb looking bird in medieval armour and he constantly goes on about bodybuilding. I want him off.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I had work and couldn't dig into it now-- is there a reason why I shouldn't set my house up on that outcropping where the grass juts out into the sea, like you'd have a lighthouse there? Because I'm digging that spot a lot. :3:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LODGE NORTH posted:

My one and only complaint about NH is that I can’t batch drop things off for Blathers. That’s it. I love the game.

I'm pretty sure that becomes a thing eventually, probably once the museum opens up?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Got an island with two waterfalls, started with pears, Goose, and Diva. Recruited Audie from mystery island.

Anyone want some pears? I'd love Cherries or Apples to complement them since they're all grown here in the Pacific Northwest.

Friendcode: SW-4171-6733-3914

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Teddybear posted:

I had work and couldn't dig into it now-- is there a reason why I shouldn't set my house up on that outcropping where the grass juts out into the sea, like you'd have a lighthouse there? Because I'm digging that spot a lot. :3:

go with you're heart

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Nate RFB posted:

Dump that poo poo on the loving lawn, it'll stay there for when Blathers shows up.

I wish I had known this. I sold all my extra critters and fish :( on the other hand, more collecting to do!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Qubee posted:

What are those x/10 apple marker things denoting? I ate 10 apples and they slowly go down but I have no idea what benefits it gives.

Also, is there a way for me to swap out my Islanders? I have a really dumb looking bird in medieval armour and he constantly goes on about bodybuilding. I want him off.

Fruit power is used for a couple of things. You can use 1 to dig up trees intact to replant (so they remain fully grown) and also destroy rocks with 1 (they respawn the next day so this just gives you 1 more drop and maybe a critter). Maybe some other stuff but that's all i've found so far. The tree one is useful, keep a few of your island's fruit in inventory and use it to steal fruit trees from other islands. Apparently there are ways to drain fruit energy at some point without doing those things.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

PSA: You can kill your rocks with a standard shovel (I got one as a gift but it has cursed me) if you have fruit energy. 1 fruit=1 rock broken. And apparently rocks only respawn 1 per day and I killed all of mine looking for iron, gonna be a lot of island trips before I can get the store.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Teddybear posted:

AlphaKeny1 posted:

go with you're heart

upon further investigation I won't have any room around the tent if I do. ... ah well, somewhere else.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Qubee posted:

Every single person starts with the same two villager personality archetypes: a jock and an “Uchi” which I guess basically means big sister busybody, and that’s also really lame

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Qubee posted:

every fruit you eat gives you a point of super strength, to allow you to do poo poo like "uproot an entire tree and put it in your pocket"

also, amusingly:
https://twitter.com/MallowyGoodness/status/1240895491216257026

e: 2nd deserted island I went to gave me Bob, hell yeah

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 21, 2020

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t
I learned this accidentally while visiting another island. If the river between two pieces of land is thin enough you can just hop across it if you hold the control stick towards the other coast. I figured this might help some of you who don't have the vaulting pole yet.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Dracula Factory posted:

PSA: You can kill your rocks with a standard shovel (I got one as a gift but it has cursed me) if you have fruit energy. 1 fruit=1 rock broken. And apparently rocks only respawn 1 per day and I killed all of mine looking for iron, gonna be a lot of island trips before I can get the store.

Yeah, this happened to me before I realized that's what was murdering my rocks. You have to make sure to have 0 fruit in you before mashing rocks with an axe/shovel/whatever to get those precious goodies out of them.

I "grinded" to visit like 4 different islands. Somehow out of the, like, 300 animals this game has, three out of four were mice! Seriously, the heck?? One island was a bamboo island, two had my native fruit and one had orange trees so I took a bunch back with me. I think three of the islands had bottled DIYs and one had a fossil on it, too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

Every single person starts with the same two villager personality archetypes: a jock and an “Uchi” which I guess basically means big sister busybody, and that’s also really lame

That's weird. Maybe it's a weekly/monthly thing, and that just happened to be the starting archetypes on launch.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I've only visited one island because Nook Miles are precious to be reserved for when I can buy glasses like the ones I wear.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I shook a tree and a spice rack fell out. 10 out of 10.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

That's weird. Maybe it's a weekly/monthly thing, and that just happened to be the starting archetypes on launch.

people noticed that was a thing from the preview footage and reviewers have had the game for a couple of weeks

it could still be a monthly thing but it's definitely not weekly

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have almost 60 things ready to smash into Blathers' stupid face as soon as he opens the museum now, he should have come better prepared than this.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The far away islands aren't necessarily procedurally generated, I think! I just came back from one that was very deliberately arranged with a circular pond in the center surrounded by alternating colors of flowers, while 100% of the insects were respawning monarch butterflies (moneybags!) Too bad you can only carry so many...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Its pretty clearly a deliberate choice as those are the two archetypes most into outdoors poo poo.

Once you recruit more villagers Nook has lines about how no one else wanted to live in a tent and you have to build them houses before they move in :v:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

enojy posted:

I'm pretty sure that becomes a thing eventually, probably once the museum opens up?

I figure it has to, honestly, since the menu would be no different from bulk selling things to Timmy. That and i’m pretty sure they introduce that for the same reason people would complain about this.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It’s gonna be hilarious when Blathers only takes like, 5 things only daily

Like seriously why the gently caress can’t I buy more than five things a day and why is it all delivered by mail? I wanna get out of my nerd sailor shirt already

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Your Computer posted:

i asked previously but didn't consider that the game wasn't out in the US yet at that point so most of you weren't actually playing the game yet -

any y'all started time traveling yet? how's it treating ya?

I traveled a day forward to unlock the airport, then immediately back. Nobody said poo poo when I showed up with future stuff (including cool shades), I was kinda disappointed at the lack of reaction to be honest.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

I have almost 60 things ready to smash into Blathers' stupid face as soon as he opens the museum now, he should have come better prepared than this.

Same and I'm a little annoyed because I feel I should listen to his info dump about each thing but I will go actually insane if I try and do it with the amount of stuff I have built up. Might have to just drop in two new specimens a day or something but gah, why can't he still take specimens while he's building the museum:cripes:

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Recently found out my company is likely gonna fold within the next month or two. This game has already done a lot to at least alleviate some of the stress.

Nook, you sunovabitch

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anybody know how transferring a save to a new game works? Do I get to keep my islander or do I basically start over from scratch on a new island?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

It’s gonna be hilarious when Blathers only takes like, 5 things only daily

Like seriously why the gently caress can’t I buy more than five things a day and why is it all delivered by mail? I wanna get out of my nerd sailor shirt already

Blathers takes infinite things per day once the museum opens. Also you can bulk donate.

Unfortunately before the museum opens he's in a tent and takes stuff one at a time. Also once you donate 15 things total he stops taking any more donations until the museum opens and it has a full 2 days of build time.

I had piles of poo poo sitting outside the museum waiting for him to identify

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Calaveron posted:

Is this why I don't have the slingshot recipe, despite having bought it from the nookling three times now? With the other recipes, he warns you if you already have them. I never saw a notification that I hit a limit on buying things but he doesn't say anything other than "300 bells please."

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Rip and tear, until it is done
https://twitter.com/explosionpsycho/status/1240764210998415360
https://twitter.com/explosionpsycho/status/1240877734458298369

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

explosivo posted:

Anybody know how transferring a save to a new game works? Do I get to keep my islander or do I basically start over from scratch on a new island?

Your save would include your island and you can't transfer that so you're starting from scratch. They've said there might be a way to move islands across systems in future but it'll probably involve calling Nintendo and begging.

Related, the sheer number of people suddenly going "gently caress THIS GAME YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ON ISLAND PER CONSOLE THIS WAS NEVER EXPLAINED!!!" is incredible when it's been explicit public knowledge for what feels like forever.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

History Comes Inside! posted:

Your save would include your island and you can't transfer that so you're starting from scratch. They've said there might be a way to move islands across systems in future but it'll probably involve calling Nintendo and begging.

Related, the sheer number of people suddenly going "gently caress THIS GAME YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ON ISLAND PER CONSOLE THIS WAS NEVER EXPLAINED!!!" is incredible when it's been explicit public knowledge for what feels like forever.

Fack. Well I guess I'm stopping now and buying a switch tomorrow lol. Also I agree, this has been out there forever but I can see someone not necessarily following this game as closely as we've been and just buying this because they saw it in the store today. I'd be less bummed if the local co-op was a little more fleshed out but it's not the best.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

Is this why I don't have the slingshot recipe, despite having bought it from the nookling three times now? With the other recipes, he warns you if you already have them. I never saw a notification that I hit a limit on buying things but he doesn't say anything other than "300 bells please."

No it should go in your inventory, then you have to select and learn it.

The five things a day afaik is from buying the delivery stuff through the machine in the store

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

everyone complaining about the jocks meanwhile roald the penguin keeps asking me about free weights and im never letting himleave

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to save up my miles for expanded inventory, but you guys keep making the island travel sound real good...and I am wanting Bob on my island...

This game is so hard to pull away from. Nook Miles were such a smart addition. All the older games never required much more than a half hour of your time, but now I feel compelled to keep racking them miles up. Now that my job is possibly defunct for who knows how long, it's nice that there's something I can still keep busy with.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so I know the seasonal events aren't in yet, but now I'm wondering if someone went really hard on time traveling and went an entire year into the future to "sync up" would the events work as normal? :iiam:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

compounded daily posted:

I'm trying to save up my miles for expanded inventory, but you guys keep making the island travel sound real good...and I am wanting Bob on my island...

This game is so hard to pull away from. Nook Miles were such a smart addition. All the older games never required much more than a half hour of your time, but now I feel compelled to keep racking them miles up. Now that my job is possibly defunct for who knows how long, it's nice that there's something I can still keep busy with.
You absolutely want the expanded inventory before you do a lot of tickets, so you can carry more poo poo home. that's just the kinda hosed up efficiency calculus we have to do in New Horizons now

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Does anyone else find the music a little underwhelming? The last game in the series I played was City Folk, so maybe New Leaf was similar. I preferred when the music was a little more in your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I can't do anything with tickets during the first day, right?