Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s until the end of April.

We inch ever closer to the inevitable Olympics delay/cancellation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

UGH I hope it's just a delay, for my own selfish career and finance reasons

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
cross-posted from the LAN thread because i am 100% that bitch:

so i'm from the US. i've been here since the beginning of february, and i'm not due to leave until may 4th. this cornavirus situation is all kinds of hosed back home to the point where i feel like my safest bet is to social distance / quarantine here until may. i'm staying just outside tokyo in suginamiku. is this the safer bet? it feels like, to me, that PM abe is trying to save face (ie, under-test) in hope of hosting the olympics as planned.

i don't know enough japanese to get my new first-hand. i emailed my VRBO host about the situation, but he didn't give me any new information.

i do have travel insurance, so i can bounce if need be.

also... i have T1 diabetes so ... haha, i'm just trying to stay level-headed, be proactive, and not lose my poo poo here.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I hope CAD/JPY evens out a little before I travel again. Not looking forward to everything being magically more expensive, especially since my money flows like water when I’m on vacation.

I’m still tentatively looking to reschedule for October but at this rate I’m steeling myself that I might not want to travel until 2021.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You were planning to stay until May anyway, so just do that? Japanese society is probably better at dealing with these kinds of situations, even after everything got annihilated in parts of Tohoku people still remained orderly when getting food at evacuation sites. Stark contrast to FYGM culture in America.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spanish Inquisition posted:

cross-posted from the LAN thread because i am 100% that bitch:

so i'm from the US. i've been here since the beginning of february, and i'm not due to leave until may 4th. this cornavirus situation is all kinds of hosed back home to the point where i feel like my safest bet is to social distance / quarantine here until may. i'm staying just outside tokyo in suginamiku. is this the safer bet? it feels like, to me, that PM abe is trying to save face (ie, under-test) in hope of hosting the olympics as planned.

i'm just trying to stay level-headed, be proactive, and not lose my poo poo here.

Riding it out in Japan until May is likely the best bet. It hasn’t gotten to the point of two-week quarantines in the US for arrivals from Japan, but you’ll know where back home is and the situation there from the news and friends/family.

Japan is pretty emotionally and logistically setup for things like this. Typhoons, earthquakes, these things happen. Japan tends to handle these things fairly well. I’m just as skeptical about how Abe has handled things because the Olympics are right there, but I’m still optimistic.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I would absolutely stay in Japan rn, omg possibly even longer than May 4th

NHK news has English dub for the main evening news, otherwise idk there's not a lot of updates right now. But you will be able to get your insulin and stuff. PM me if you need any vocabulary.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Especially cuz the sakura has just started. Sigh.

If you ever get a chance go see the Kawazu sakura in... Kawazu. Absolutely beautiful, way more colourful than the standard sakura, lovely shade of pink rather than the kind of white the standard ones are.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
What corona virus pseudo science scams do y'all see in Japan? From what i'm seeing in the Japanese cooking youtube channels I follow it looks like food based immune boosters would be a common one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

captkirk posted:

What corona virus pseudo science scams do y'all see in Japan? From what i'm seeing in the Japanese cooking youtube channels I follow it looks like food based immune boosters would be a common one.

That's not really corona based, that belief about food having assorted magical properties is standard all over East Asia.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

That's not really corona based, that belief about food having assorted magical properties is standard all over East Asia the world.

Fixed that for you.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The state department raised the travel advisory to level 4 which says don't travel internationally and we won't help you if you need help coming back home so get home now. Of course this caused a panic'ed call from my mother who fears were not assuaged by the fact that we return tomorrow or that I responded "GOOD" to her "What if you get stuck there?!"

It's going to be awesome to catch coronavirus* in Newark airport though.

*it's not going to be awesome.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Oh yeah omakase at Yasuda was loving amazing. Chef is a real cool guy too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I got that email too, it’s probably going to cause another traffic jam at international arrivals for the major US airports tomorrow and Saturday.

At least work isn’t pressuring anyone to travel at all right now.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006

peanut posted:

I would absolutely stay in Japan rn, omg possibly even longer than May 4th

NHK news has English dub for the main evening news, otherwise idk there's not a lot of updates right now. But you will be able to get your insulin and stuff. PM me if you need any vocabulary.

thank you so much, i'll hit you up if it comes to that. i'd be overstaying my tourist visa past may 4th, but i'll cross that bridge if/when i come to it.

just saw the travel advisory, and i think i'll opt to shelter in place here.

thanks for all the reassurance, y'all. poo poo sure is weird.

harperdc posted:

Riding it out in Japan until May is likely the best bet. It hasn’t gotten to the point of two-week quarantines in the US for arrivals from Japan, but you’ll know where back home is and the situation there from the news and friends/family.

Japan is pretty emotionally and logistically setup for things like this. Typhoons, earthquakes, these things happen. Japan tends to handle these things fairly well. I’m just as skeptical about how Abe has handled things because the Olympics are right there, but I’m still optimistic.

thank you. yeah, i actually had a friend from the US get here a couple nights ago, and i was shocked that he wasn't quarantined. he's decided to leave today though.

Spanish Inquisition fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 20, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

thank you so much, i'll hit you up if it comes to that. i'd be overstaying my tourist visa past may 4th, but i'll cross that bridge if/when i come to it.

Don’t do this if you want to visit Japan again.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

just saw the travel advisory, and i think i'll opt to shelter in place here.

thanks for all the reassurance, y'all. poo poo sure is weird.

thank you. yeah, i actually had a friend from the US get here a couple nights ago, and i was shocked that he wasn't quarantined. he's decided to leave today though.

Jesus dude do not overstay visa at all full stop. That’s a no go and you’ll get in real trouble.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah never ever overstay a visa. Figure out how to get an extension. Given travel restrictions I don't know if you'll be able to do a quick Korea hop to reset it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

KidDynamite posted:

It's going to be awesome to catch coronavirus* in Newark airport though.

*it's not going to be awesome.

If I get sick on Sunday or Monday it will be because of Seattle, not Tokyo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

heckin mottainai

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

Jesus dude do not overstay visa at all full stop. That’s a no go and you’ll get in real trouble.

you're absolutely right, and i realize this. i meant that more in a the-world-is-literally-on-fire-worst-case-scenario sense. which i don't anticipate happening. and again, i appreciate all the input!

peanut posted:

heckin mottainai

lol truly

Spanish Inquisition fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 20, 2020

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
*******rant incoming*******

so my wife's two friends have been planning to come to Oahu for a few months, partly to see us and partly to vacation, and their flight is in about 18 hours. we've searched Japanese twitter and Japanese yahoo and I can't find a single article telling people about the situation on Oahu, every article we search for is like "Japan news, updated 3 minutes ago" and I click on it and it is like "wow, Hawaii is beautiful, travel there and eat some poke!!!!", all of this seems to be in the news, even though there is actual real news happening, like they just announced there is a 14 day self-quarantine (their trip is for ten days), we called the hotel and they couldn't promise they would be open next week, entire sections of the economy have simply shut down and the Hawaiian government has told people not to travel here for tourism and I'm personally under the working assumption that the United States is going to ground all international travel while they are here during the next ten days

every time we tell them this (it's become a daily thing now), we get something like "haha! majide?? omoshiroi!!", as if all of this is somehow happening independent of their future trip, and we are either failing to explain to this couple that no, once they arrive here they are probably just going to be mandated to self-quarantine in their hotel for 10 days, and then when that is finished and they go back to the airport, it's going to be closed and they can't travel anywhere and maybe they don't have a place to stay anymore??. they are really rich so they aren't concerned about money so maybe they don't care?? it seems it is either that, or they are like...very, very dumb.

my wife and I were talking about when I flew to Honolulu from Fukuoka in 2018, they overbooked the direct flight and they were looking for people to fly from Fukuoka to Nagoya, and then Nagoya to Honolulu. it was three white dudes that they got, and they gave me food and drink vouchers and 650 dollars to change my flight and arrive in Honolulu 35 minutes later than originally planned. the lady at delta was like "yeah, Japanese people REALLY don't like changing their travel plans", which maybe she was being hyperbolic or maybe that's actually a thing, I don't know, but my wife is like "yeah I keep telling them all this, but they have their travel plans, so, what can we do?" and she's right, we can't tell them not to take the flight, they are obviously grown adults and individuals with their own agency, and they aren't staying with us so whatever, more power to them, but with their airlines offering a free change of plans in the next year, it seems like that would be a much better use of their plane ticket money than the possibility of flying here and 1) maybe being turned away at immigration and flying home, losing the ticket? or 2) arriving and then self-isolating for 10 days at a hotel, before flying home? or 3) arriving here and then self-isolating for ten days only to then realize that all flights have been grounded and they can't go anywhere?

anyway thanks for reading

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I am p sure I updated Japan goons live of my Fukuoka trip to Nagoya and then to Honolulu, I remember drinking beers at the airport and chatting with y'all in LINE about this. good times, lol

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Delusion is a powerful drug. I know someone who is supposedly moving from Japan to the UK in a week. Who knows if she'll even be able to get on a plane much less get into the country, and she doesn't have a visa to live there even if she does get in somehow, but by golly, that's her plan and it's what she wants to do and she's not going to let reality stand in her way. I suggested she might try calling the embassy or at least the airline first, but nope, she insisted that she is going to just show up at the airport and hope for the best. (not Japanese btw but delusion knows no borders)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm floored with all of the tourism that Hawaii gets from Japan, there doesn't seem to be ANY news about the situation here. my wife and I looked through Japanese twitter this morning and its just people posting pictures of Hawaii and making it look super beautiful and fun and surfing lessons and food and mountains and the ocean

I thought Japan was getting a lot of coronavirus stuff but my wife's entire town is just operating as normal, kids in school, everyone going to playdates, the mall is open, everyone is working? she's like "yeah what's the big deal, everyone I talk to every day is fine"????

LyonsLions posted:

Delusion is a powerful drug. I know someone who is supposedly moving from Japan to the UK in a week. Who knows if she'll even be able to get on a plane much less get into the country, and she doesn't have a visa to live there even if she does get in somehow, but by golly, that's her plan and it's what she wants to do and she's not going to let reality stand in her way. I suggested she might try calling the embassy or at least the airline first, but nope, she insisted that she is going to just show up at the airport and hope for the best. (not Japanese btw but delusion knows no borders)

get this person an account and have them live-post their meltdown when everything goes off the rails, tia

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

*******rant incoming*******

so my wife's two friends have been planning to come to Oahu for a few months, partly to see us and partly to vacation, and their flight is in about 18 hours. we've searched Japanese twitter and Japanese yahoo and I can't find a single article telling people about the situation on Oahu, every article we search for is like "Japan news, updated 3 minutes ago" and I click on it and it is like "wow, Hawaii is beautiful, travel there and eat some poke!!!!", all of this seems to be in the news, even though there is actual real news happening, like they just announced there is a 14 day self-quarantine (their trip is for ten days), we called the hotel and they couldn't promise they would be open next week, entire sections of the economy have simply shut down and the Hawaiian government has told people not to travel here for tourism and I'm personally under the working assumption that the United States is going to ground all international travel while they are here during the next ten days

every time we tell them this (it's become a daily thing now), we get something like "haha! majide?? omoshiroi!!", as if all of this is somehow happening independent of their future trip, and we are either failing to explain to this couple that no, once they arrive here they are probably just going to be mandated to self-quarantine in their hotel for 10 days, and then when that is finished and they go back to the airport, it's going to be closed and they can't travel anywhere and maybe they don't have a place to stay anymore??. they are really rich so they aren't concerned about money so maybe they don't care?? it seems it is either that, or they are like...very, very dumb.

my wife and I were talking about when I flew to Honolulu from Fukuoka in 2018, they overbooked the direct flight and they were looking for people to fly from Fukuoka to Nagoya, and then Nagoya to Honolulu. it was three white dudes that they got, and they gave me food and drink vouchers and 650 dollars to change my flight and arrive in Honolulu 35 minutes later than originally planned. the lady at delta was like "yeah, Japanese people REALLY don't like changing their travel plans", which maybe she was being hyperbolic or maybe that's actually a thing, I don't know, but my wife is like "yeah I keep telling them all this, but they have their travel plans, so, what can we do?" and she's right, we can't tell them not to take the flight, they are obviously grown adults and individuals with their own agency, and they aren't staying with us so whatever, more power to them, but with their airlines offering a free change of plans in the next year, it seems like that would be a much better use of their plane ticket money than the possibility of flying here and 1) maybe being turned away at immigration and flying home, losing the ticket? or 2) arriving and then self-isolating for 10 days at a hotel, before flying home? or 3) arriving here and then self-isolating for ten days only to then realize that all flights have been grounded and they can't go anywhere?

anyway thanks for reading

Remember when I talked about the kind of nouveau riche Japanese dbags that go to Hawaii all the time and how ignorant and disconnected from reality they are and you gave me poo poo for it? lol

Good times, one for the album

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember that but it sounds like this may have been what you were talking about

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it's weird, when i've been talking to my tutors about it they seem extremely concerned about the rona. maybe it's because they interact with non-japanese extremely regularly, idk.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

LyonsLions posted:

lmaoooo

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

LyonsLions posted:

:suspense:

Please provide updates.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I didn't know you had wealthy third generation Thai-Chinese Bangkokians in Japan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

安全ボケ is real and strong.

I’d expect those people to get an earful and a lot of teeth sucking at Narita nah let’s be real they’re probably flying out from Haneda because Chiba is mottainai. Not sure the airlines are even *that* dumb.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The airlines are definitely that dumb. Not one temperature check on the way out of Narita or when we landed. US customs was just the same as ever. People aren’t taking this thing seriously.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Olympics are postponed

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKBN21A35P

Maybe now Japan will start testing people since there is nothing to lose by admitting Japanese people aren't mysteriously contracting the virus slower than other people.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Dick Pound hosed Tokyo, big surprise

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zmcnulty posted:

Dick Pound hosed Tokyo, big surprise

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

captkirk posted:

Olympics are postponed

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKBN21A35P

Maybe now Japan will start testing people since there is nothing to lose by admitting Japanese people aren't mysteriously contracting the virus slower than other people.

and stop all the nice international press they're getting about how it's not in japan because of their polite and hygenic but emotionally distant cultural norms???

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Finally.

Now maybe the airports will be put on the no fly list and I can get my damed money back.

My friend in Tokyo has been going on about how widespread the virus likely is. And that it is absolute bulshit that the government has been keeping the numbers as low as they have been.

Sad they get screwed on the Olympics, but this is loving up stuff everywhere and their fiction about no virus in Japan was just insane.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This was the most obvious no-brainer move. Now if AirBnB would push their free cancellation date past April 14th I'd really appreciate it thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it was a dumb game of chicken, but absolutely necessary given how craven and mercenary the ioc is