Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I'm in for coaching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alli again
Jan 7, 2020

Oh, big yawn!

Sandwolf posted:

I had this idea recently if we ever try to get some new newbies: a scum team and a town team “coach.”

So the scumteam has a coach in their chat to ask questions and for advice,

Town has a coach any individual in the town can go to looking for advice.

I would never have played another game if windshipper hadn’t taken me under his wing once upon a time, and recently Amnistar gave some really cool advice to a newbie scum buddy in a game that honestly seemed beneficial to any approach to the game.

I’m no mod though just an idea

the first game of mafia i ever played back on another forum elsewhere many years ago had this. it was super good and made the game much more accessible as a new player. iirc they ran a c9 with one coach for each power role and one for the scum team. I dont remember what they did for the VT folks but it may have been like you suggested, just someone to act as a resource

basically just endorsing this idea cause it def helped me a lot as a new player

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

My "coach" for my first game of mafia was DB. We ended up being masons and he said, "Don't worry, you're in good hands. I'm a veteran."

I later found out he had played maybe 10 games at that point.

e: also he got probated at one point during the game

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. Humalong posted:

My "coach" for my first game of mafia was DB. We ended up being masons and he said, "Don't worry, you're in good hands. I'm a veteran."

sounds like he had the right spirit

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Ok but how new do you need to be to get a coach because god knows I need one

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I want to coach one player from each team so I run experiments on them and stuff

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Retro Futurist posted:

I want to coach one player from each team so I run experiments on them and stuff

Just do this with me my dude, happily

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Speaking of newbies, has anyone tried to run a game in another sub forum in a while? I remember in ye olden days there were a handful of games run in GBS as a sort of recruiting thing

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf posted:

Just do this with me my dude, happily

Oh sure, it's not like you would ever betray me, eh SANDY

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I would offer to be a scum coach (since I'm much better at scum than town), but I would definitely get the newbies into some bad habits.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Mr. Humalong posted:

this is the most DB thing ever

also I want to chime in as an old-timer that there has been at least one game historically where the scumteam was assigned coaches. i feel like it was a weird competing scum team game so that there were a few to go around.

i also could be making this up.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
coach good.

good idea.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

There was indeed a GBS game a long time ago that had coaches for each individual player. I coached one of the people on the scum team.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
There were at least a couple that did it. i comodded a gbs starcraft game with highwire (to coincide with starcraft 2 being released i think??) and every player had a mentor.

winvirus randomly got assigned the jetlam smurf/parachute account which would have been funny if, you know, it wasn't jetlam

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I’ve been tossing around the idea of a NewD3 setup in GBS or Games or QCS, would be a good idea to run a couple I think.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I do not condone letting the riff raff play humanity's greatest sport.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Then why do you play?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

:pusheen:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Hello all. I'm still working on the one mystery/escape game but trying to find the best way to do it still - either over Discord voice or a thread, but it's still in the works until I find the best way to implement it to be a fun experience for all.

In the meantime, I'm dipping my toes back in and running a 15 player game, Dark Hospital III. It's been part of an original storyline mafia series I've ran in 2011 and 2015. Newer players are very much welcomed as it's not too role heavy (vanilla/common roles with the usual couple of experimental roles). So join if you're interested and will be active/not a shitposter/lurker, come join. It's been a fun series to mod, thanks pals.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh, right!

Myth Mafia has ended in a town victory!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

lol

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

lol

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
and we single handedly won the heck outta that game :colbert:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I coached the SK in the GBS Starcraft game and he won.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
One spot left in Dark Hospital!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadbeat Dad posted:

One spot left in Dark Hospital!

i am specifically calling out podima to please join this game!

i received a prophecy that it's a game you'll very much enjoy to play. and it wont take very long either.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917837

please

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Hi, if you're interested in being a coach for a new player (or a scum team of new players) send me a PM or a DM on Discord Surprises#7374. I am planning to run at least one game in GBS within the next week, but I am open to suggestions if people would prefer a different subforum to draw in players from.

So far from this thread I saw the following people express interest:

Amnistar
Retro Futurist
Sandwolf
Squiggly

e: You might have to friend request me on Discord first if we don't share a server.

Mr. Humalong fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 23, 2020

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Hello all. I'm still working on the one mystery/escape game but trying to find the best way to do it still - either over Discord voice or a thread, but it's still in the works until I find the best way to implement it to be a fun experience for all.

Looking forward to this!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Looking for startup capital for New Moon Mafia

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I will invest.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Need 1 replacement for Dark Hospital Mafia, still on D1! Please help if you can :)

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Need 1 replacement for Dark Hospital Mafia, still on D1! Please help if you can :)

I'll do it! I need a new game after dying in Amni's crazy game.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Pussy Quipped posted:

I'll do it! I need a new game after dying in Amni's crazy game.

Great, check your PMs in a sec!

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

drat, sucks that I missed this as I seem to remember playing in one of the other two Dark Hospitals and liking it.

Anyway, I've finally finished my extremely flavor-heavy Corona Outbreak setup. Just my role PMs document is 5500 words (for 15 roles). I'll set up a thread for it tomorrow but there's still a bit more writing to do for the OP.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

My game's ready for sign-ups. 15 slots available in total, but consider about 5 to be soft-reserved for those fellow old-schoolers like Hal, Amni, Grandi etc. who used to play all my games back in the day. Plus one for merk who explicitly pre-registered.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Final Fantasy 8 Mafia has ended in a Flawless Scum victory!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey all, if you are unaware I am one of the new Idiot Kings of games (Which is basically a mini-mod)

Cpig had to modkill someone in FF8, and I then stepped in afterwards to probate them.
I would like to cross-post what I said in the FF8 post-game discussion, with regards to that.

quote:

Firstly I have been trying to temper myself lately when playing Mafia as I realise I do have a reputation for being a fuckwit, I'm aware of it, and I'm working to not be That Guy anymore. I feel I have been doing.. an OK job at that, with probably my most recent transgression being the stenography nonsense a few games back; which probably leant a litttttle too hard against the spirit of the game.

Obviously I can't do much about my personal player history other than to cop to it, and say that I am working on doing better.
You have my apologies for that, and I ask for your patience as I work to better myself.

I now find myself in an interesting position as one of the new Idiot Kings of the Games subforums. So I am trying to lead by the example VideoGames has set for a long time, mod responsibly, and set a good example.
This is a very ~chill~ subforum and I want it to continue being so.

To this end I would highly encourage anyone that is having issues with another player to come seek me out so I can investigate the situation and try to resolve the situation for you (IKs don't have access to the modqueue so we cannot see the reports; send me a PM)
As a reminder I am in Australia, so I am generally available to handle the late night US stuff.

:siren: However I want to be perfectly clear here: if you are being a fuckwit, and I'll know because I am one, I will be handing you a probation and potentially escalating matters. :siren:

I am 100% not here to ruin anybodies good time, because I am still very much a sarcastic arsehole, but I can and will put my foot down when necessary if I cannot resolve the situation peacefully.

So yeah.. I'm not going to be actively policing behaviour, or doing tone policing, etc, etc. I will try my best to step in and help out where needed, and ask that you come see me so I can help resolve matters before they fester and escalate.
(Yes.. again.. I also find it super weird that I'm the poster saying this)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tl;dr - If someone is actively making GBS threads up your game, come grab me.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

xopods posted:

My game's ready for sign-ups. 15 slots available in total

Three left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Now that FF's over I could play a new game. I didn't see a thread for this though, are you just taking pre-signs now?