Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Guavanaut posted:

What is Biden up to at the moment?
https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1241073884994195459
It seems he's learning about this new thing called 'internets'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

So this 80% wages scheme, I haven't seen any timeframe for when the full details of this move will be published. Will the total grant per employee be based on their gross pay for the last tax year? Or if you were contracted for a set amount of hours, will the payments be equal to 80% of your contracted hours?

I ask because I've been off on sick leave for the last 3 months, which could affect whatever income is coming my way. My girlfriend works 25hrs plus, but is only contracted for 8hrs a week.

We reckon we will be called into our workplace today to do a massive cleandown and remove unused stock. Most of it will be unusable. Work has a no take home policy where any foodstuffs that are still edible but being wasted are just dumped. So I'm interested to see what will happen. At the very least you'd hope we could shift some of our produce and perishable supplies to a food bank or something.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

I ask because I've been off on sick leave for the last 3 months, which could affect whatever income is coming my way. My girlfriend works 25hrs plus, but is only contracted for 8hrs a week.

This kind of thing is what makes me think that the whole 80% thing is just not going to work. In normal times one could establish a big large bureaucracy to figure out exactly how much everybody in the country earns and from what sources and with what kind of variability and so on and so forth, and this would then take a whole bunch of time, and it would be inaccurate, and... well I guess it would be mostly possible to make sure people don't get more than their fair 80% share or whatever because omg benefit scroungers.

But during a goddamn apocalypse like this, why wouldn't the government simply write every person a cheque right now, done. Takes zero time and people don't loving starve or become homeless while waiting for the wheels to slowly turn. Like say two grand a month per person, every month, automatically. One of the richest countries in the world, could surely afford it. Not holding my breath though when the alternative is that poor people get completely hosed and die on the streets while everyone who can afford to wait for six months will be fine.

(Ok that previous paragraph is hyperbole but y'all get my point)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Between HMRC, Student Finance and the DWP you should have the bank details for every person over 16? Just put money in the account.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

jaete posted:

This kind of thing is what makes me think that the whole 80% thing is just not going to work. In normal times one could establish a big large bureaucracy to figure out exactly how much everybody in the country earns and from what sources and with what kind of variability and so on and so forth, and this would then take a whole bunch of time, and it would be inaccurate, and... well I guess it would be mostly possible to make sure people don't get more than their fair 80% share or whatever because omg benefit scroungers.

There is a large bureaucracy its called HMRC they already can provide both historical copies and real-time pay information to other bits of govt such as the dwp for use in universal credit or to calculate other benefits

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

I know a bloke who really likes skulls, I'll make sure he sees these :skeltal:

How is DomCum doing anyway?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

crispix posted:

I know a bloke who really likes skulls, I'll make sure he sees these :skeltal:

Franz ... Franz Joseph Gall?!?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How is DomCum doing anyway?

Knowing Dom, he's probably midway through a 100,000 word blog post where he reworks the concept of immunology from scratch.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

So apparently there’s a temporary increase to universal credit rates incoming, but is that also likely to include legacy benefits or are those of us who haven’t been migrated over yet going to be forgotten about?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
The argument that's going round about "well the death figures are overestimated because many of the old people would have died anyway" has made it to the beeb https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654
It seems a bit defective.
Firstly, incidences of people falling down the stairs doesn't happen in an NHS overwhelming surge like a contagious virus does, and secondly, if everyone starts dying of exactly the same care intensive and drawn out illness that means the same scarce bits of equipment are needed to treat them.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Endjinneer posted:

The argument that's going round about "well the death figures are overestimated because many of the old people would have died anyway" has made it to the beeb https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654
It seems a bit defective.
Firstly, incidences of people falling down the stairs doesn't happen in an NHS overwhelming surge like a contagious virus does, and secondly, if everyone starts dying of exactly the same care intensive and drawn out illness that means the same scarce bits of equipment are needed to treat them.

It’s not long until that “paediatric nurse” turns up again to explain how all those photos of olds stuck dying in corridors are fake news

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

otoh without any sports on, online gambling is reduced to this kind of tier games but less fun and they cost money.

Sharing that site would probably do more to help stop people playing lovely video roulette.

I went here and played a game called Idiot and I managed to force us into an endless cycle. :(

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ms Adequate posted:

All joking aside, much as I love DE and think it deserves all the praise it gets, I do recognize it may not be for everyone. I certainly had to be in the right mood for it if nothing else.

I think the opening monologue and ceiling fan could be off-putting, but if you've gotten to the field autopsy and it's not your cup of tea, it's probably not your cup of tea.

Regarding benefits:
I haven't got a clue. I'm self-employed but still have some money coming in for now. It sounds like being on universal credit is better than SSP as you can access other stuff like free prescriptions (both work out around £90 a week?) and there'll also slightly increase housing benefit so that there's no bottom floor for getting it and it will increase to 30% of the average rent in my area? So, works out better for someone living in central London, not so much me who lives in a village in West Yorkshire.

At first I was grateful for scraps from the table as something is better than nothing - unless that 'something' stops you from getting what you actually need to get by. Even Matt Hancock pulled a face and said he couldn't get by on SSP on QT the other night.

Also! Universal Credit is still a horror show. Signed up the other day expecting them to follow government guidelines but they said nothing about day 1 payments or not having to go to the job centre. I had to keep saying over and over I have symptoms of coronavirus and self-isolating. Waiting on the phone for nearly 2 hours other day just to organise a meeting that could be done online was a faff, I bet next week it will be a lot worse.

We don't have the infrastructure to pay people benefits in a normal situation, so I'm guessing this will be totally hosed by Tuesday.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

South Wales comrade of mine wrote a thing some people ITT might be interested in. He's pretty much the main guy behind the couriers' network (apart from, y'know, all the couriers), reflecting on the problems they faced.

Link

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chucat posted:

I went here and played a game called Idiot and I managed to force us into an endless cycle. :(
You may have played it as 'shithead' or 'shed' at school, where the way to get out of that cycle was to have more players, appeal to not being a oval office, try to cheat, and then finally throw your cards at the table.

At least you didn't spend any money or join any predatory newsletters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure I've played shithead and bullshit but I can't remember the rules for either.

I do remember that the point is to swear loudly though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1241073884994195459
It seems he's learning about this new thing called 'internets'.

Thing is it's the Democratic strategy for a few Presidential elections now that the challenger just straight up disappears in months between the primary and the election as they (rightly) believe that the longer people get a look at the centrist empty shite they're offering the quicker they get bored of it and go for the incumbent. Now that they've basically fixed it for Joe to win he's going to never be seen, especially since even if you dispute the dementia accusations you can't deny he just looks lost. Spending his last few years on this earth making sure that people don't get universal health care during a pandemic.

It's amazing how this was basically the Democrats to lose and now they're on course for an absolute slaughter come November.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If you have symptoms of CV or someone in your house does, you can get an isolation note from the NHS (only released recently I think)

https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note

Tick someone in your house has symptoms for a 14 day note, otherwise it's just a 7 day note (which is odd as if you live with someone who has it, it's 14 days isolation but if you have it yourself, half that time?)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

predatory newsletters
This phrase tickled me, largely because it's so innocuous & intuitively understandable & this truly is the shittiest loving cyberpunk dystopia imaginable.

Predatory newsletters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It sounds like an SCP to me.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I chickened out of going wild camping this weekend, seemed like a good chance with the weather being better but if I started getting symptoms while I was hours deep into the moors I'd be hosed and rightly so. Bummer. More living room it is then

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

justcola posted:

If you have symptoms of CV or someone in your house does, you can get an isolation note from the NHS (only released recently I think)

https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note

Tick someone in your house has symptoms for a 14 day note, otherwise it's just a 7 day note (which is odd as if you live with someone who has it, it's 14 days isolation but if you have it yourself, half that time?)

The guidance is 7 days if you live alone, 14 if you live with someone else - maybe they’ve coded that in incorrectly.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The 14 days if you live with someone is the incubation period to see if you become symptomatic so you don't go around spreading it, if you're already symptomatic there's no need for the longer period, they're saying 7 days for a minimum or just until you're asymptomatic. This is day 67 for me though & I'm still symptomatic, I'd feel a bit reluctant to just get up one day & say "welp yesterday I was a carrier but today I feel alright so I guess I'll just go kiss my perfectly healthy girlfriend".

How long would you folk give it?

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 21, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

A day or two after symptoms clear?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
It's quite difficult to know with no testing available. I suppose 14 days after you and her last had contact would be enough for her to show symptoms if you did have it?

I was just talking with my sister yesterday: She and I and a couple of other family members have had 'weird colds' since January (myself early March) before we really knew about this thing. I have had a cough now for several weeks. BUT these are something I am prone to anyway. We're all self-isolating anyway.

When I say 'weird colds' - I went back and checked out a message I sent her early March so I knew I wasn't making it up - I had a sore throat (normal harbinger of a cold for me) but it didn't last the usual 12 hours - one side of my throat then the other - and then seem to go and then turn into a full blown snot fest, it lasted over 48 hours and did not go snotty. I felt that my chest was full of chalk. Various other things that could have been mild symptoms of CV. But might not have been.

I suspect it has been present in the UK for some weeks longer than we think.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The spiking death rate doesn't seem to support that though?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's quite difficult to know with no testing available. I suppose 14 days after you and her last had contact would be enough for her to show symptoms if you did have it?

I was just talking with my sister yesterday: She and I and a couple of other family members have had 'weird colds' since January (myself early March) before we really knew about this thing. I have had a cough now for several weeks. BUT these are something I am prone to anyway. We're all self-isolating anyway.

When I say 'weird colds' - I went back and checked out a message I sent her early March so I knew I wasn't making it up - I had a sore throat (normal harbinger of a cold for me) but it didn't last the usual 12 hours - one side of my throat then the other - and then seem to go and then turn into a full blown snot fest, it lasted over 48 hours and did not go snotty. I felt that my chest was full of chalk. Various other things that could have been mild symptoms of CV. But might not have been.

This is almost exactly my symptoms too - right down to the early March timeline. Over the last couple of days I’ve swung around to it just being a weird cold rather than roni, was considering going out today after (mostly) isolation for the last week.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The spiking death rate doesn't seem to support that though?

Well if they weren't testing those who were dying for it until quite recently, they wouldn't really know and might just have thought it was old-people flu/pneumonia.
Without having a graph for other deaths over the past few weeks it's hard to say especially if it takes say 4-6 weeks from getting it to death (2 weeks with full symptoms then a lull then 10 days later death).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Borrovan posted:

The 14 days if you live with someone is the incubation period to see if you become symptomatic so you don't go around spreading it, if you're already symptomatic there's no need for the longer period, they're saying 7 days for a minimum or just until you're asymptomatic. This is day 67 for me though & I'm still symptomatic, I'd feel a bit reluctant to just get up one day & say "welp yesterday I was a carrier but today I feel alright so I guess I'll just go kiss my perfectly healthy girlfriend".

Official advice is 7 days from when symptoms start or until your fever is gone, whichever is longer (the cough can persist after you're no longer infectious). I'd probably give it a couple more days to be safe.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

re the Aviemore hotel that sacked all its staff:

That is some 'administrative error'.

quote:

In response, Britannia’s spokeswoman said, in comments reported by the Liverpool Echo: “Unfortunately, the communication sent to these employees was an administrative error. All affected employees are being immediately contacted. We apologise for any upset caused.”

etc

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/21/scottish-hotel-admin-error-sacking-staff-covid-19

Naturally, their climbdown has nothing to do with the fact that there was wide-spread condemnation, bad publicity, and tripadvisor had to stop any reviews of the hotel because there was a pile-on.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bakeneko posted:

So apparently there’s a temporary increase to universal credit rates incoming, but is that also likely to include legacy benefits or are those of us who haven’t been migrated over yet going to be forgotten about?

I hope not!

The jobcentre mentioned moving me over to Universal Credit (I'm still on JSA), but it was never brought up again.

Sign-ons have been cancelled for the foreseeable, so I'll just wait and see what happens.

A little bit extra would be nice - benefits aren't enough full stop, whether there's a pandemic going on or not.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well if they weren't testing those who were dying for it until quite recently, they wouldn't really know and might just have thought it was old-people flu/pneumonia.
Without having a graph for other deaths over the past few weeks it's hard to say especially if it takes say 4-6 weeks from getting it to death (2 weeks with full symptoms then a lull then 10 days later death).

It really does have quite a distinct clinical presentation, I'd be surprised if an attending just shrugged at such a rapidly progressing viral pneumonia without further testing

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

It really does have quite a distinct clinical presentation, I'd be surprised if an attending just shrugged at such a rapidly progressing viral pneumonia without further testing

True. I don't know the ins and outs of what tests they do these days - I guess I'm under the impression that if you're over a certain age they don't bother testing and just write you off in any case.

(I'm biased because a few years ago now, there was an interesting programme on the radio about how many old people get things wrong with them that could be fixed* and improve quality of life substantially, but it's just written off as 'anno domini', they'll just have to lump it and no one bothers).

*Ed: fixed easily and would be if they were 20 years younger.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 21, 2020

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, about that, this is from someone I know who posted this on twitter:

https://twitter.com/oxforddiplomat/status/1240776914693951496?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1241292321926381568?s=21

Buzzfeed's bringing the goods again.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Why is it even that important to test at that point? Just assume positive?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Borrovan posted:

Hard to say really, I'd be a little sus about going out after 7 days if all my clothes and that were covered in covid juice from the person I live with - I'm avoiding my family for 14 days just to be sure but after today I could technically go out (not sure where though)

The more I think about the benefit announcement the more confused I am by it. This guardian article doesn't help.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gonzo McFee posted:

Thing is it's the Democratic strategy for a few Presidential elections now that the challenger just straight up disappears in months between the primary and the election as they (rightly) believe that the longer people get a look at the centrist empty shite they're offering the quicker they get bored of it and go for the incumbent. Now that they've basically fixed it for Joe to win he's going to never be seen, especially since even if you dispute the dementia accusations you can't deny he just looks lost. Spending his last few years on this earth making sure that people don't get universal health care during a pandemic.

It's amazing how this was basically the Democrats to lose and now they're on course for an absolute slaughter come November.

How old will AOC be at the next election?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why is it even that important to test at that point? Just assume positive?

Lets you pick up asymptomatic carriers and identify which of your medics aren't going to kill older patients by being in the same room as them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

How old will AOC be at the next election?

Old enough, I think, but I'm not sure.