Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I can't wait to touch my face again when thiks is all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Adding some info to the pile about chloroquin, Belgian pop star Stromae took some during a trip to Congo and it caused him a psychotic break and he almost stopped his career since because it broke his brain.

And that's a very rich person with access to the best doctors.

So yeah, Trump is an idiot

stromae's problem was mefloquine, which frankly shouldn't be allowed to be prescribed, not chloroquine (which he was also prescribed, but that wasn't the problem probably)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

it broke his brain.

So yeah, Trump is an idiot

Actually I think you'll find Trump has just discovered the perfect way to guarantee his reelection :chaostrump:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Ah ok, my bad

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
My body is aching and I have a temperature/shivers. I don't have the cough or shortness of breath (or even sore throat, sniffles). I phoned in sick for work last night (I'm a nurse). I'm due back in Sunday but we've been told to self isolate if we have the symptoms. Do I have enough of them or is this likely just me being run down?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

My body is aching and I have a temperature/shivers. I don't have the cough or shortness of breath (or even sore throat, sniffles). I phoned in sick for work last night (I'm a nurse). I'm due back in Sunday but we've been told to self isolate if we have the symptoms. Do I have enough of them or is this likely just me being run down?

I'd say sleep on it.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Had to go to the store today after being cooped up for the last week. No TP, obviously but everything else was healthy supply.

Granted it was like the week before thanksgiving based on how busy everywhere was. Conversations of "Oh it wont be big here, stop your panicking" even though there was a confirmed case in town. People touching money and then their faces..

I think the frustrating part of all this is how I keep swinging back between heavy anxiety that no one is taking it seriously and hopeful optimism that this is not going to actually be the next 18 months of our lives. It feels like were just gonna pull the uk and be like 'gently caress it lets ride' mentality in a lot of places... and a lot of people are gonna be hosed and nothing will change.

:sigh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A fever and body aches are two of the major symptoms for COVID-19 but there's no actual way of knowing unless you get specifically tested. Most (but not all) people who show symptoms develop a fever but a pretty large percentage of people who were confirmed to have it didn't show any symptoms at all. A lot of people get shortness of breath but a large percentage of them don't so that's not a surefire sign that you don't have it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

nullEntityRNG posted:

Had to go to the store today after being cooped up for the last week. No TP, obviously but everything else was healthy supply.

Granted it was like the week before thanksgiving based on how busy everywhere was. Conversations of "Oh it wont be big here, stop your panicking" even though there was a confirmed case in town. People touching money and then their faces..

I think the frustrating part of all this is how I keep swinging back between heavy anxiety that no one is taking it seriously and hopeful optimism that this is not going to actually be the next 18 months of our lives. It feels like were just gonna pull the uk and be like 'gently caress it lets ride' mentality in a lot of places... and a lot of people are gonna be hosed and nothing will change.

UK closed the entire hospitality industry last night, effective from today. So that's something...

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
So I took this picture last week.

This plane had just recently been evacuating passengers from Wuhan. I took this the morning after they had been evacuating passengers at the airport I work at, which is strange because it's a major airport and... why bring them here? They set up 3 tents with full hazmat and called passengers out 1 at a time. They were putting the passengers clothing in sealed plastic bags as they left the tent and loaded them on to van. They sealed the cargo containers in plastic and shipped everything off-site in trucks.

Somehow they kept it out of the news, haven't seen a single story about it. But why the gently caress are they doing it? No matter how careful they are it's just a stupid thing to do.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just got my haircut here in Korea and first step was hand sanitizer followed by T posing as tjey sprayed down my jacket front and back and then took my temp.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Reading the first page of this thread is funny

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
My gf got sick for exactly two days with aches in her muscles, slight coughing and generally not feeling well. Then it went away

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Gildiss posted:

Just got my haircut here in Korea and first step was hand sanitizer followed by T posing as tjey sprayed down my jacket front and back and then took my temp.

That’s wild. So well organised.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I woke up with a general feeling of dread, my finger count is in the 10 digits and some of my posts seem pretty bad, is it the roni ?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

nullEntityRNG posted:

Luckily I don't have anxiety in general and am pretty resilient to this kind of stress, but we all feel like that. Bavaria has a shelter at home order enforced since midnight, which changed nothing for me and the GF as we have been doing home office since Monday to avoid crowded public transport. But people just didn't give a poo poo and had bbqs, parties and crowds so here we are.

It's funny how they are more concerned whether Oktoberfest can take place than the danger of thousands of deaths.

Hint: The world's largest drinking spectacle that prominently features improperly cleaned beersteins, sweating crowds crammed into hot and humid beertents and a scientifically proven increase in flu symptoms among Bavarians every year probably isn't the best idea until there is a vaccine.

But I foolishly also still hope all this will be over by June. I was going to go see my sister in Sweden and stay there for 4-6 weeks to go fishing and have family bbqs and stuff. And then I snap into reality mode again and know that any kind of international travel is probably off the table for a while...

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So yeah turns out that us health care workers don't have access to protective gear due to critical shortages of masks.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/system-doomed-doctors-nurses-sound-nbc-news-coronavirus-survey-n1164841

Turns out random people sucking up the supply for themselves with limited benefits is not a good thing at all, who would have guessed.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
But i need these 400 masks

just in case

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

But i need these 400 masks

just in case

Getting married?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Son of Rodney posted:

So yeah turns out that us health care workers don't have access to protective gear due to critical shortages of masks.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/system-doomed-doctors-nurses-sound-nbc-news-coronavirus-survey-n1164841

Turns out random people sucking up the supply for themselves with limited benefits is not a good thing at all, who would have guessed.

I saw many people with masks when I went to get groceries today. I was wondering how the gently caress so many people are getting masks.

My first guess was black market but someone in another thread mentioned people were stealing masks from hospitals. Not sure how people are getting surgical masks. :iiam:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Symptom reports are all over the place, there's no way to know for sure without a test. If you have fever and aches you should not go to your medical job, reassess day by day

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Hopper posted:

Luckily I don't have anxiety in general and am pretty resilient to this kind of stress, but we all feel like that. Bavaria has a shelter at home order enforced since midnight, which changed nothing for me and the GF as we have been doing home office since Monday to avoid crowded public transport. But people just didn't give a poo poo and had bbqs, parties and crowds so here we are.

It's funny how they are more concerned whether Oktoberfest can take place than the danger of thousands of deaths.

Hint: The world's largest drinking spectacle that prominently features improperly cleaned beersteins, sweating crowds crammed into hot and humid beertents and a scientifically proven increase in flu symptoms among Bavarians every year probably isn't the best idea until there is a vaccine.

But I foolishly also still hope all this will be over by June. I was going to go see my sister in Sweden and stay there for 4-6 weeks to go fishing and have family bbqs and stuff. And then I snap into reality mode again and know that any kind of international travel is probably off the table for a while...

Sweden might not be the best destination right now, our goverment isnt testing anyone with even mild symptoms and there is talk about quaratining Stockholm. I work in a supermarket here so im safe jobwise but we'll see when i get the bug.
I had planned to go to my parents for midsommar but they belong to a riskgroup and i love them so gently caress that

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

One of our neighbors asked in group chat if anyone had any eye protection goggles like for home projects or fireworks protection for her husband to use, who is a doctor. So it's not just America that is woefully under-equipped for this.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone else self-employed selling online? Etsy/Amazon/Ebay etc? My sales grew the last few days since everyones not at work and home, but dropped off a cliff today, nothing so far. Hard to predict if its going to go way up or way down in the next few months, hopefully up since I will be hosed if Post gets shut down.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Everyone will be hosed, friend

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Son of Rodney posted:

good job trump can't go 5 minutes without insulting the worlds largest producer of masks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Symptom reports are all over the place, there's no way to know for sure without a test. If you have fever and aches you should not go to your medical job, reassess day by day

Yeah this.

If you are sick do not go around other people.

Monitor your status and evaluate.

Since you are a healthcare worker you have even more reason to be safe.

Get tested if you can.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Annabel Pee posted:

Anyone else self-employed selling online? Etsy/Amazon/Ebay etc? My sales grew the last few days since everyones not at work and home, but dropped off a cliff today, nothing so far. Hard to predict if its going to go way up or way down in the next few months, hopefully up since I will be hosed if Post gets shut down.

I bet there's a massive market for washable handmade face masks on Etsy right now. They probably don't work for poo poo but people will still be buying them!

Edit: :haw:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I got a Bane mask and it lets me vape 8 flavors of whatever vape is, fellow kids

e - (with voice changer)

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Ralph Crammed In posted:

One of our neighbors asked in group chat if anyone had any eye protection goggles like for home projects or fireworks protection for her husband to use, who is a doctor. So it's not just America that is woefully under-equipped for this.

yeah, it's a massive problem because most of the worlds production is in China. so once China shutdown everybody was scrambling for supply.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DropsySufferer posted:

I saw many people with masks when I went to get groceries today. I was wondering how the gently caress so many people are getting masks.

My first guess was black market but someone in another thread mentioned people were stealing masks from hospitals. Not sure how people are getting surgical masks. :iiam:

Maybe they had some, maybe they managed to snag a few before it went to poo poo, maybe they're reusing masks. It's good that people are protecting others from their potential plague lungs though.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
France now officially ran out of masks because of political decisions made a decade ago, which specifically included the observation that ffp2 was too expensive.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Sanctum posted:

So I took this picture last week.

This plane had just recently been evacuating passengers from Wuhan. I took this the morning after they had been evacuating passengers at the airport I work at, which is strange because it's a major airport and... why bring them here? They set up 3 tents with full hazmat and called passengers out 1 at a time. They were putting the passengers clothing in sealed plastic bags as they left the tent and loaded them on to van. They sealed the cargo containers in plastic and shipped everything off-site in trucks.

Somehow they kept it out of the news, haven't seen a single story about it. But why the gently caress are they doing it? No matter how careful they are it's just a stupid thing to do.

I guess that they are far better equipped at a major airport, as well as having medical facilities nearby if anyone needs them. It's much easier to get people home from there too rather than having people hopping through multiple places to get home.
Sounds like they are taking suitable measures at least, not like earlier stories of people just disembarking with gently caress all tests.
Totally guessing though

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It is more likely they aren't using them right and are only thing of protecting themselves. Right now it you want to protect people and save lives donate your masks to the hospitals.

Yes they may hav proper training but unless they are also in a high risk catagory we need out doctors and nurses to stay healthy more.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

China is using its medical supplies currently to strengthen their relation with the countries of the Great Silk Road project.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3076210/how-chinas-coronavirus-response-may-shape-future-its-flagship

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Hardawn posted:

One of my co-workers was an idiot and still decided to go to key West on vacation right now

One of mine is in Hawaii and posting on facebook. Last week she was saying the plane tickets were $200 and the hotel was $15 a night. She said "if i die i die!" She's really young so if anything she'll be the one to carry it asymptomatically.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dixville posted:

One of mine is in Hawaii and posting on facebook. Last week she was saying the plane tickets were $200 and the hotel was $15 a night. She said "if i die i die!" She's really young so if anything she'll be the one to carry it asymptomatically.

people that think like this don't see big picture you need to explain the hospital situation. I get it's a co worker and you may not really be able to approach the subject that easily.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have TravelPirates alerts still coming and it’s kind of blowing my mind that discount flight sites are able to be still pushing deals right now.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Fenarisk posted:

Can I just vent?

Poor choice of words these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Forget forced quarantines, they need to start throwing people like this in jail.

Finnish person goes on a week's holiday to Tyrol. Comes back on a Sunday, and Tyrol is declared an epidemic area on the next day, so he gets told to go home from work and to stay at home for a week. Instead he flies off to Tyrol for another week's holiday, and then flies back with the coronavirus on a regularly scheduled flight without bothering to notify anyone.

Source is a health official in Finland posting on their personal Twitter account saying they were not personally involved in the case, but had first hand knowledge of it.

No amount of voluntary quarantine and social isolation are going to help us when dumb cunts like this are still allowed to walk around freely.