Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I'm down to two bottles of red, for me the crisis truly begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Igotadigbick posted:

I saved the last glass of my last bottle instead of drinking it in one evening. The end times are truly here.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gonzo McFee posted:

Oh Jesus they're a pair of eugenicist psychos who see this as an opportunity to kill the weak, aren't they?

https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/1241294352917434368

Check the size of this oval office's head. Looks like he's going to start cursing Kakarot with that fivehead.

Either that or asking for Normal View.

Currently busy doing workout stuff for the most part. Trying to eat better and finish my books.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 21, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

Have we considered that maybe these people are secretly accelerationists?
Frank Furedi literally was at some point, and LM went down the road of "climate change ecofascist hoax to hobble the industrial proletariat" but I think Brendan O'Neill is just an arse holehead.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Nettle Soup posted:

Read it again. The sick pay isn't enough to live off and that's what you're gonna be getting most of the time. The 80% would be great, if you got it. But a lot of people aren't because their places decided to stay open as takeaway or whatever. I posted about it last night, my friend who works in starbucks is getting gently caress all, because they only ordered the partner stores to shut down, and franchises can do whatever they like. She has to carry on going to work and she doesn't get the 80% even if she does get sick.

Yes the 80% (up to what 30k?or something) is so businesses dont go bust and those employees end up with nothing. sick pay should only be for periods of 2 weeks maybe? Which is bad, but hopefully doable.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Igotadigbick posted:

stev posted:

I saved the last glass of my last bottle instead of drinking it in one evening. The end times are truly here.

We're nearly out of beer & wine, but there is a silver lining. Raising a child means our spirit collection has grown considerably faster that it could be consumed over last couple of years.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I really dont want to suit up just for a wine run, it feels reckless!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yes the 80% (up to what 30k?or something) is so businesses dont go bust and those employees end up with nothing. sick pay should only be for periods of 2 weeks maybe? Which is bad, but hopefully doable.

Yep, that £188 is sure gonna pay all her rent (which the landlord isn't giving any leeway on) and bills, because her company is maximising profits over lives, whilst trying to make it look like they're the good guys. Everything is A-OK!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Talking about 'good guys' - was it on here or elsewhere - I just went to Waitrose and shopped. Place heaving with shoppers of all ages and abilities. Left shop, saw sign outside saying 'currently open only for elderly and vulnerable'. Hm.
And all the bread rolls and artisan bread STILL UNCOVERED.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

xtothez posted:

We're nearly out of beer & wine, but there is a silver lining. Raising a child means our spirit collection has grown considerably faster that it could be consumed over last couple of years.

Lmao same, except I generally have a drink with dinner and don’t like spirits like that, so I’ve found that Ribena and sherry with water is an acceptable long drink when everything else is gone. Absinthe and elderflower cordial is also good. Whisky is a tricky one but mixes well with ginger beer with a wedge of lime, but this requires ginger beer. If you have any ginger cordial that might work.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

At this point she'd be better off just quitting and applying for benefits and housing benefits, but she won't abandon her employees.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Everyone should just stop paying rent.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Drone_Fragger posted:

Whisky mixes well with ginger beer with a wedge of lime
:hai:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

:emptyquote:

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Igotadigbick posted:

I only have a bottle of ginger beer left, I've really hosed this rationing thing by being a greedy drunk.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

Lmao same, except I generally have a drink with dinner and don’t like spirits like that, so I’ve found that Ribena and sherry with water is an acceptable long drink when everything else is gone. Absinthe and elderflower cordial is also good. Whisky is a tricky one but mixes well with ginger beer with a wedge of lime, but this requires ginger beer. If you have any ginger cordial that might work.

Forget about the ventilators, this is what we need to devote our productive capacity and cognitive effort to.
What's the legacy of this crisis to be? A load of bodged medical equipment, or a fantastic repertoire of cocktails-from-the-back-of-the-cupboard?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Endjinneer posted:

Forget about the ventilators, this is what we need to devote our productive capacity and cognitive effort to.
What's the legacy of this crisis to be? A load of bodged medical equipment, or a fantastic repertoire of cocktails-from-the-back-of-the-cupboard?

Can't be done, you'll never find any cough syrup

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
uk_government.png

minema
May 31, 2011
Uni are making noises that indicate they're going to let us qualify as physiotherapists early. I'm terrified at the thought of being thrown in at the deep end in the middle of all this. I wish I could just work from home doing a nice boring office job :(

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

minema posted:

Uni are making noises that indicate they're going to let us qualify as physiotherapists early. I'm terrified at the thought of being thrown in at the deep end in the middle of all this. I wish I could just work from home doing a nice boring office job :(

Doctors and nurses are getting the same thing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

minema posted:

Is that because we desperately need physios now or just because theres no way to do the exams?
My mum is a recently retired NHS physio. With the stories about beinging people back I wonder if that includes people like her? I assume not. LOL also they've shut her hospital now anyway.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I just had a big shudder - was reading comments under an article about the Spoons moron:
Imagine if we had crashed out of the EU on 1st Jan as was originally planned, there would already be food shortages and then for this to come along!

I know it's imagination (and didn't happen thank goodness) but sadly I have one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's always next winter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SCOTT3DJ/status/1241312366857420800

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Either that or asking for Normal View.

This is an excellent post and everyone should acknowledge it.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
I just watched a woman in Sainsbury’s take a Brita jug out of its box, turn it over on her hands a few times and put it back, then buy a different one.

Completely. loving. Oblivious.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Weasling Weasel posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51987923

All three showing mild or no symptoms. Will it be bad or good if this turns out to be a trend should we ever test people? Supresses the mortality rate, increases the infection rate?

Crazy how even rubbish League One teams can get their entire staff tested without symptoms but a member of the general public with a fever is poo poo out of luck.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sassassin posted:

Crazy how even rubbish League One teams can get their entire staff tested without symptoms but a member of the general public with a fever is poo poo out of luck.

Private tests are available, I think they're over £300 each though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Private tests are available, I think they're over £300 each though.

Crisis profiteering should be illegal.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sassassin posted:

Crisis profiteering should be illegal.

Agreed, there's no place for capitalism in a civilised world.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Hopefully the CMA will actually look into these.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Biggus Dickus posted:

I just watched a woman in Sainsbury’s take a Brita jug out of its box, turn it over on her hands a few times and put it back, then buy a different one.

It's other people who have this virus, not me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A depressing medical update from the Necrothatcher family:

Sister (GP): Has been worked to the bone by paranoid patients over the last week. Many people suddenly discovering that their childhood asthma has mysteriously returned and are demanding Ventolin, causing a shortage and lot of scared genuine asthmatics as a result. She was worried about childcare for her kids, but has started displaying symptoms so is self-isolating for 2 weeks, while continuing to do videoconferencing GP work.

Dad (Pharmacist): He's currently a parachute pharmacist filling in for other pharmacists who are self-isolating. Gets urgent calls to drive around Wales to open pharmacies, usually finding crowds of unhappy people waiting outside who assume that he is simply lazy and opening late. Has been spat on a few times as a result. Has had to occasionally lock the doors because patients were physically abusing pharmacy staff due to drug shortages. Is very worried about methadone patients. Seems extremely miserable (and is resigned to getting the virus soon).

Mum (Geriatric and end-of-life care nurse): Doesn't want to talk about it.

So not good.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 21, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Biggus Dickus posted:

I managed to grab the last box of tea in the local Sainsbury's yesterday. I'm not sure why it was the only one left, I imagine it succumbed to that collective idea of "well it's the last one so something must be wrong with it". As is always the case these days I had my spray bottle of bleach and cloth with me and you bet I wiped that fucker down good because I bet 50 other people touched it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Welp the last toilet roll will be gone by the end of the day. Good thing we're not leaving the flat any time soon.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
My landlord is refusing to let me end my contract a month early so if I bail on London I still owe a month's rent for a flat I'm not in. Tempted to just leave and not pay it lol. How much poo poo could I get into for this, beyond a court order to pay it?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Necrothatcher posted:

Sister (GP): Has been worked to the bone by paranoid patients over the last week. Many people suddenly discovering that their childhood asthma has mysteriously returned and are demanding Ventolin, causing a shortage and lot of scared genuine asthmatics as a result. She was worried about childcare for her kids, but has started displaying symptoms so is self-isolating for 2 weeks, while continuing to do videoconferencing GP work.
The silver lining is that I think ventolin is one of the steroids that actually makes coronavirus symptoms worse? Still worth taking if you're having a genuine asthma attack, but anyone who's taking inhalers away from people who need them is going to get what they deserve.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Bird feeder and gardening trip report update.

Bird feeder set up and filled, hot compost bin ready and good to go with a few weeks of veg, coffee grounds etc in it.

Raised bed built out of old shelves. Been filling it with dirt every day from the pile they dug up to build my shed base, hard work with a trowel and a bucket! It's full of lots of worms and centipedes which I assume is a good sign. Potting compost and copper tape for the edge on order.

Wonky as poo poo cold frame that I built, but I think it'll do the job. Door doesn't close well, thus the gas canister. I'll need to make a new latch. First batch of bigger seedlings moved out of the warm study to there to "harden up" a bit. So they don't die immediately from the shock of being planted outside.

Lots of fun! Highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Necrothatcher posted:

Dad (Pharmacist): Has been spat on a few times as a result.

What the gently caress?