Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/...41iFai-O7yxynoU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I think Anthem is really going to hit its stride when it gets remastered for next gen

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’m gonna wait it our for Anthem 3.0

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Anthem: Better Than Coronavirus, Probably!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Anthem is going to be amazing on PS6.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Anthem: Better Than Coronavirus, Probably!

which will be out first, corona vaccine or Anthem remake?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Artifact Reborn vs. Anthem Next

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/quarantined-gamer-almost-desperate-enough-to-start-anthem/

quote:

“Life is going to fundamentally change for people in the next few months and it’s going to be mentally taxing for many Americans,” said CDC director Robert Redfield.
“However, we do need to go on living. If you’re considering buying Anthem, please know that this public health crisis is only temporary and also that Destiny 2 is free to play on Steam now.”

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Anthem Series X

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Any news on the "update"? I got this game for 5 bux a few months ago and have slowly but surely grinded up to full legendary gear, by playing like 20 minutes a day (one stronghold and out).

I mean hell, the game is fun as hell gameplay wise, but there's just no content.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

texting my ex posted:

Any news on the "update"? I got this game for 5 bux a few months ago and have slowly but surely grinded up to full legendary gear, by playing like 20 minutes a day (one stronghold and out).

I mean hell, the game is fun as hell gameplay wise, but there's just no content.

it's coming soon just keep grinding and ideally buy some new skins please

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

They only went official with the "reinventing Anthem" thing two months ago (a full year after release), and some of that has been impacted by work-from-home stuff. Whatever they are making won't be seen until possibly near the end of the year, is my prediction - if Bioware even makes it that far before collapsing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is Anthem good now???

asking for a friend

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

anthem is better now than it ever was which is to say that it was never good so it still isn't

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Anthem is a group of devs furiously trying to multiply 0 by anything but still ending up with 0

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

that new av really goes with the vibe of this thread

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Moola posted:

is Anthem good now???

asking for a friend

Yes, how many copies should I put you down for?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kaysette posted:

that new av really goes with the vibe of this thread

dont go in the D00M Eternal thread

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
aight I get it, uninstalling

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

You actually found the gameplay fun so you already won by being one of the 0.1%

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have enjoyed the wholesale dunking this game has gotten from this thread, a game that promised so much but delivered virtually naff all deserves it. A friend has donated a PS4 copy to me and considering I'm trapped in my house for the next month at least, I decided to give it a try.

I've played maybe 10 hours at this point and here are my thoughts on the matter, again, because I have virtually gently caress all else to be doing. I apologise about my writing, this is just all a stream of thoughts, I'm not an eloquent writer in any respect.

The story is kinda trying to do a Halo type thing but worse. The suits are kinda cool, the classes are reasonably distinct enough that each one is worth trying. Flying around is cool but unless you pick up a stack of add ons for your suit it overheats farrrrrr too much. Weirdly the heaviest suit flies longer than the lightest suit which is supposed to be a recon one meaning you're forever landing. The water cooldown thing where you flew low over water appears to be a lot less effective than it was in the demo, for what reason I'm not sure. Either way it's super annoying.

The world is pretty decently sized but it somehow looks worse than the demo? I've had insane amounts of graphic and texture pop in, these seem to get worse the longer you play. I've had it where the HUD graphics either completely disappear or pop up with only one layer on them, so like the background colour is there but the details for the graphic are missing entirely. This also happens to the direction markings onscreen that tell you which direction to head in. The weird graphical gently caress ups also go to the portal things that the tedious enemies appear from, early in your game they look fine but the longer you go at it the more detail they lose, eventually just becoming a red pattern and then becoming nothing at all, enemies will just pop into existence. Speaking of enemies, the living world of the E3 trailer is just so incredibly lacking. You can fly around for ages in freeplay and find gently caress all other than wildlife. Also there are maybe 6 different types of wildlife. There appears to be 9 different types of enemy in 3 different groups, of the 9, half are the same thing with different guns.

So I've been working through the story and each mission has been essentially the same thing, you fly to a place to either protect some scientist guys or just kill a few enemies. Sometimes you get to play hide and seek with some items which may or may not have phased out of existence entirely depending on how long you've been playing. Trying to find a specific spot on the floor where a 'hold square to interact' prompt pops up is a lot of effort, particularly when you have to do it several times in one mission. The missions where you have to pick up <X> things and deliver them to a specific spot is made all the more annoying when they force you to walk/run to the objective. At least when you have to deliver the sparkly things to the speaker looking thing that's going apeshit you can carry 3 and fly at the same time. I have my one and only stronghold/dungeon thing opened up, it's the same one for the demo. Speaking of the demo, it was a lot harder than the actual game. In the demo my Colossus suit which is the biggest, supposedly toughest suit got shredded relatively quickly by some enemies in the dungeon thing before I got a bunch of upgrades. In the actual release? I've not come across ANY enemies in the game so far that can even make a dent in my health and this was before I got any upgrades to shields/health. I literally stood going toe to toe with the Scorpion/crab boss and it was barely doing anything. I then unlocked the lightest suit and aside from losing shields a couple of times when face tanking stuff, I was never in any danger of actually dying.

Oh and the story thing, to proceed through it you have to wander the city talking to people and it's honestly the worst part of the game. You walk really slow and running is only slightly quicker and your controls are slowwww and the graphics do this horrible stutter thing that I think the motion blur is supposed to hide but motion blur is worse so I turned that off.

So the game told me I need to visit tombs and how to add them to my list to track. This means they're permanently onscreen in the upper right, burning into my plasma screen. I got into the menu thing and clicked to untrack them but they're still there, I have no idea how to make them disappear. I literally did the exact same thing to select them and in theory at least it should let you but no. Apparently I'm not allowed. I've tried ending sessions, quitting out, closing the game, switching the console off, but every time I start it up again they reappear, taunting me. The ONLY way to get rid of them is to actually complete them and in some cases you can't because you haven't hit an arbitrary number of actions ingame like world events. Speaking of world events, you've no idea how to find these because for the most part your map is empty unless you track EVERYTHING in your menu but that leads to the above problem. So these world events are invisible and you have to stumble upon them out of chance, and considering most things pop in at different rates it's hard to tell where some action would be. One time I was flying around murdering wildlife because there's absolutely gently caress all else going on and suddenly everything disappears. Then the game stutters and a giant ash thing pops up. I zap him with my tesla coil thing and in a second he's dead. The game tells me this is a world event. No hint on how to get to it, no hint about what it was, no hint on anything. It just popped up and I murdered it, no effort whatsoever.

No effort. So the game gave me 45k in gold when I started and I found a market stall thing that's voiced by the lady who does Louise from Bob's Burgers, she's playing a character who likes wild animals and wants to keep them as pets. She has 3 stories about them and then says nothing else after. So her stall sells things and the legendary stuff is available in a few 'anyone can use it' bits and other suit specific ones. These are 2k apiece and have no helpful description of what any of them are or do. So I bought a couple. Turns out one is a much higher level machine gun which deletes any enemy you come across, even the bosses which were previously 15 minute slogs are now able to be removed by just yourself in a minute or so. The gun was a level 47 when I got it where all of my other gear was 12 or so, so it was either plink away at everything forever or use the overpowered gun that makes everything in the game world trivial.

Oh and sometimes the game throws 'puzzles' at you in the form of doors, these are opened either by twisting things to get a certain symbol to pop up, clues being easily seen from where you're stood or the difficult ones where the mechanism is floating in the air and doesn't look like it would ever open a door and is dumb as poo poo.

I'm apparently 1/3 through the missions and the content I've seen is minimal, the E3 video looked really good, the world looked alive both in terms of foliage and indeed amount of enemies just shambling around it that you could fight or avoid as you saw fit but what was released is, well, not good. Also I think they deleted the skull graphic thing because I tried to find it in the store/upgrade area.

Oh and I've just remembered, the starting gatling gun thing you get with a Colossus suit, the audio on that drops out when you fire it, it's like it has 2 layers of audio which works for a short bit and then just peaces out when it wants to. Thinking about it though the audio is honestly the high point of the game, specifically the sounds of the alien stuff, it sounds suitably alien and has nice chunky bass to it. Some of the guns sound pretty decent to. This is the only thing I'll praise about this game.

So this is my experience with the game, the story isn't interesting enough to pull you in, the fact you have to wander around to talk to people to get missions is annoying, the actual gameplay is super samey and full of annoyances like not being able to fly for long unless you pick one particular suit (which is boring to play as) and there's little in the way of actual content for it.

rear end/10

I also realise posting this is a mistake and means the game has won because this took time and effort to both play and post about but I'm not allowed out of the house and that's the only reason I've done this. It's not even a beautiful car crash, it's just sad.

Edit* I forgot to mention the load times. Holy loving poo poo. There's load times for a lot of stuff that shouldn't have it too... God forbid you click the wrong thing and have to wait for it to load twice.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 11, 2020

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Olympic Mathlete posted:

rear end/10

I also realise posting this is a mistake and means the game has won because this took time and effort to both play and post about but I'm not allowed out of the house and that's the only reason I've done this. It's not even a beautiful car crash, it's just sad.

this goon gets it

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Congrats, you did it. You earned yourself BioWare Magictm. Forevermore in life will BioWare sludge through your cranium.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
We spent the last 300 pages successfully warning anyone against playing it and then you just come along and play this awful game!! It makes me wonder what all this shitposting was really for

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sometimes you just have to stick your dick in the beehive to find out why it's a poor idea.

Also why should all the lovely youtubers get to have all the 'fun'?

*edit: let's be honest here, any game I play next is going to feel incredibly good.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 12, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
May I suggest you play Fallout 76 then? :getin:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
thank you for your service goon

o7

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I have enjoyed the wholesale dunking this game has gotten from this thread, a game that promised so much but delivered virtually naff all deserves it. A friend has donated a PS4 copy to me and considering I'm trapped in my house for the next month at least, I decided to give it a try.

I've played maybe 10 hours at this point and here are my thoughts on the matter, again, because I have virtually gently caress all else to be doing. I apologise about my writing, this is just all a stream of thoughts, I'm not an eloquent writer in any respect.

The story is kinda trying to do a Halo type thing but worse. The suits are kinda cool, the classes are reasonably distinct enough that each one is worth trying. Flying around is cool but unless you pick up a stack of add ons for your suit it overheats farrrrrr too much. Weirdly the heaviest suit flies longer than the lightest suit which is supposed to be a recon one meaning you're forever landing. The water cooldown thing where you flew low over water appears to be a lot less effective than it was in the demo, for what reason I'm not sure. Either way it's super annoying.

The world is pretty decently sized but it somehow looks worse than the demo? I've had insane amounts of graphic and texture pop in, these seem to get worse the longer you play. I've had it where the HUD graphics either completely disappear or pop up with only one layer on them, so like the background colour is there but the details for the graphic are missing entirely. This also happens to the direction markings onscreen that tell you which direction to head in. The weird graphical gently caress ups also go to the portal things that the tedious enemies appear from, early in your game they look fine but the longer you go at it the more detail they lose, eventually just becoming a red pattern and then becoming nothing at all, enemies will just pop into existence. Speaking of enemies, the living world of the E3 trailer is just so incredibly lacking. You can fly around for ages in freeplay and find gently caress all other than wildlife. Also there are maybe 6 different types of wildlife. There appears to be 9 different types of enemy in 3 different groups, of the 9, half are the same thing with different guns.

So I've been working through the story and each mission has been essentially the same thing, you fly to a place to either protect some scientist guys or just kill a few enemies. Sometimes you get to play hide and seek with some items which may or may not have phased out of existence entirely depending on how long you've been playing. Trying to find a specific spot on the floor where a 'hold square to interact' prompt pops up is a lot of effort, particularly when you have to do it several times in one mission. The missions where you have to pick up <X> things and deliver them to a specific spot is made all the more annoying when they force you to walk/run to the objective. At least when you have to deliver the sparkly things to the speaker looking thing that's going apeshit you can carry 3 and fly at the same time. I have my one and only stronghold/dungeon thing opened up, it's the same one for the demo. Speaking of the demo, it was a lot harder than the actual game. In the demo my Colossus suit which is the biggest, supposedly toughest suit got shredded relatively quickly by some enemies in the dungeon thing before I got a bunch of upgrades. In the actual release? I've not come across ANY enemies in the game so far that can even make a dent in my health and this was before I got any upgrades to shields/health. I literally stood going toe to toe with the Scorpion/crab boss and it was barely doing anything. I then unlocked the lightest suit and aside from losing shields a couple of times when face tanking stuff, I was never in any danger of actually dying.

Oh and the story thing, to proceed through it you have to wander the city talking to people and it's honestly the worst part of the game. You walk really slow and running is only slightly quicker and your controls are slowwww and the graphics do this horrible stutter thing that I think the motion blur is supposed to hide but motion blur is worse so I turned that off.

So the game told me I need to visit tombs and how to add them to my list to track. This means they're permanently onscreen in the upper right, burning into my plasma screen. I got into the menu thing and clicked to untrack them but they're still there, I have no idea how to make them disappear. I literally did the exact same thing to select them and in theory at least it should let you but no. Apparently I'm not allowed. I've tried ending sessions, quitting out, closing the game, switching the console off, but every time I start it up again they reappear, taunting me. The ONLY way to get rid of them is to actually complete them and in some cases you can't because you haven't hit an arbitrary number of actions ingame like world events. Speaking of world events, you've no idea how to find these because for the most part your map is empty unless you track EVERYTHING in your menu but that leads to the above problem. So these world events are invisible and you have to stumble upon them out of chance, and considering most things pop in at different rates it's hard to tell where some action would be. One time I was flying around murdering wildlife because there's absolutely gently caress all else going on and suddenly everything disappears. Then the game stutters and a giant ash thing pops up. I zap him with my tesla coil thing and in a second he's dead. The game tells me this is a world event. No hint on how to get to it, no hint about what it was, no hint on anything. It just popped up and I murdered it, no effort whatsoever.

No effort. So the game gave me 45k in gold when I started and I found a market stall thing that's voiced by the lady who does Louise from Bob's Burgers, she's playing a character who likes wild animals and wants to keep them as pets. She has 3 stories about them and then says nothing else after. So her stall sells things and the legendary stuff is available in a few 'anyone can use it' bits and other suit specific ones. These are 2k apiece and have no helpful description of what any of them are or do. So I bought a couple. Turns out one is a much higher level machine gun which deletes any enemy you come across, even the bosses which were previously 15 minute slogs are now able to be removed by just yourself in a minute or so. The gun was a level 47 when I got it where all of my other gear was 12 or so, so it was either plink away at everything forever or use the overpowered gun that makes everything in the game world trivial.

Oh and sometimes the game throws 'puzzles' at you in the form of doors, these are opened either by twisting things to get a certain symbol to pop up, clues being easily seen from where you're stood or the difficult ones where the mechanism is floating in the air and doesn't look like it would ever open a door and is dumb as poo poo.

I'm apparently 1/3 through the missions and the content I've seen is minimal, the E3 video looked really good, the world looked alive both in terms of foliage and indeed amount of enemies just shambling around it that you could fight or avoid as you saw fit but what was released is, well, not good. Also I think they deleted the skull graphic thing because I tried to find it in the store/upgrade area.

Oh and I've just remembered, the starting gatling gun thing you get with a Colossus suit, the audio on that drops out when you fire it, it's like it has 2 layers of audio which works for a short bit and then just peaces out when it wants to. Thinking about it though the audio is honestly the high point of the game, specifically the sounds of the alien stuff, it sounds suitably alien and has nice chunky bass to it. Some of the guns sound pretty decent to. This is the only thing I'll praise about this game.

So this is my experience with the game, the story isn't interesting enough to pull you in, the fact you have to wander around to talk to people to get missions is annoying, the actual gameplay is super samey and full of annoyances like not being able to fly for long unless you pick one particular suit (which is boring to play as) and there's little in the way of actual content for it.

rear end/10

Edit* I forgot to mention the load times. Holy loving poo poo. There's load times for a lot of stuff that shouldn't have it too... God forbid you click the wrong thing and have to wait for it to load twice.

Sir this is an Arby’s curbside pickup (thank you for social distancing)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Psion posted:

May I suggest you play Fallout 76 then? :getin:

Sorry I meant that to mean that any non-broken, boring game would probably feel great. Fallout 4 genuinely looks more broken than Anthem...

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

rear end/10

Anthem.txt

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anthem: another Agile success story

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Disargeria posted:

We spent the last 300 pages successfully warning anyone against playing it and then you just come along and play this awful game!! It makes me wonder what all this shitposting was really for

Honestly, I needed the review because this lockdown has me so desperate I thought about playing Anthem.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

FAUXTON posted:

Anthem: another Agile success story

I think you mean Sandpile because this poo poo has already blown away.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If people are still playing and trying Anthem we have failed as a thread.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
However hard we post, some will fall through the holes in the bread.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Tetrabor posted:

I think you mean Sandpile because this poo poo has already blown away.

Still pissed we didn't get that GDC talk. Such a waste.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

space marine todd posted:

Honestly, I needed the review because this lockdown has me so desperate I thought about playing Anthem.

I know it might seem like the easy way out in these trying times, but Anthem is never the solution; we're here if you need to talk friend x

stay safe!

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Jacs, tell me how to make the best coquito. I have literally NO games left to play so I'm just gonna start day drinking.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

space marine todd posted:

the cure cannot be worse than the disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I could like, go on a list of games to try instead of anthem. Hell I could list bad games that would be a better thing to try than anthem.