Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Azza Bamboo posted:

Are zombies inherently economically inactive or are there jobs suitable for them?

I think you can use them for operating mills, turbines etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just so you know for asthmachat, blue inhaler tends to be salbutemol (ventolin) now, brown inhaler is beclometasone (clenil) which is the steroid.

My GP advised me to keep taking the brown one especially during the quarantine, so if there's a risk associated with it, it's not yet known by clueless rural doctors.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The DPRK posted:

I think you can use them for operating mills, turbines etc.

I'm sure they've already got some working the phones at the DWP

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm sure they've already got some working the phones at the DWP

And definitely at HMRC. If you need to speak to someone with a clue at HMRC do your darndest to get them to put you through to 'Technical' which is where the people who actually have a clue work.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just so you know for asthmachat, blue inhaler tends to be salbutemol (ventolin) now, brown inhaler is beclometasone (clenil) which is the steroid.

My GP advised me to keep taking the brown one especially during the quarantine, so if there's a risk associated with it, it's not yet known by clueless rural doctors.

Same. The feeling I got was it's more important for my asthma to be in remission/under control.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Igotadigbick posted:

Honestly I think people are scared and when they see someone in a mask it makes them think 'what if I'm wrong and this is a big deal?' But they dont have the brain capacity to process that so they lash out.

I live in one of the stupidest backwaters of the uk though so 🤷‍♀️

Actually regular people going around in masks doesn't help at all, and it limits the supply available for doctors and others who actually need them, so they're probably just thinking you look silly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah do not stop taking regular medication.

Unrelated, it looks like the spread in the West Midlands is being linked to church attendance.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I mean you assume that my mask isn't just a bandana covering my face and that the people around me can spell doctor yet alone understand anything lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bakeneko posted:

Actually regular people going around in masks doesn't help at all, and it limits the supply available for doctors and others who actually need them, so they're probably just thinking you look silly.

well, as the article admits, n95 masks do help protect you from breathing the virus in, so if you're going to a shop with AC that is useful.
it won't help you if you're touching everything and then putting your fingers in your mouth but don't do that anyway

and its pretty noteable that the countries that are handling the epidemic are the ones who all wear masks as a habit and china is trying to send shitloads of masks to countries to be worn by the public.
so i don't really rate "business insider" as a key source of medical info, or in fact most western sources atm since theyr all playing major catchup

the medical mask shortage is a real issue, but thats more down to the government waiting until a week into the epidemic to remember masks exist, instead of making sure they had stocks of them in january

e: i think there is a sort of mishmash of "basic masks don't protect you, they protect people from you" and "n95 masks are hard to come by and medical workers need them because they work" and its being rolled up into "masks dont work" because journalists are illiterate.
the safe thing to do is assume you have the virus, in which case, yes you should wear a mask to protect others

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 21, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Got a huge pot of pork and bean stew cooking to freeze in anticipation of being too sick to cook

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Igotadigbick posted:

has anybody who has gone outside with a mask or gloves been verbally abused for it? I sure have!

We have a new procedure at work to wear gloves when taking cash payments and I've gotten some poo poo for that from people who apparently can't wait 5 seconds for me to pull the glove on.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

Got a huge pot of pork and bean stew cooking to freeze in anticipation of being too sick to cook

hell yeah already got 2kg of this cooked up in the freezer

incredible viral plumes coming outta my butt

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

my private eye sub never turned up, and I genuinely think the post’s stolen it for toilet paper

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

so i don't really rate "business insider" as a key source of medical info, or in fact most western sources atm since theyr all playing major catchup

Well here's Johns Hopkins saying basically the same thing. And here is the immunologist Ian Frazer discussing the virus (the mask part is at 9:20 but the whole thing is worth a watch imo).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Masks work, weird meme being passed around that they don't. You aren't depriving a medical professional of them it's governments that underfund health services putting the blame on the general public.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Tried to get the brown inhaler yesterday after getting presciption some days earlier after telephone consultation with doctor.

They didnt have any. Dude said they'd handed out 2 months worth in two days and that they didnt know when or if they would be able to get any more. Tried at the tesco pharmacy and the same thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hell yeah already got 2kg of this cooked up in the freezer

incredible viral plumes coming outta my butt

2 pokr shoulders, 4 tins of borlotti beans, 6 large red onions, 3 leeks, 7 carrots, 2 bulbs of garlic, 2 cheap bottles of white wine and i'll add 1kg of potatoes for the final hour of cooking. not sure how i'm going to fit it into my freezer lol. bottle for comparison

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

2 pokr shoulders, 4 tins of borlotti beans, 6 large red onions, 3 leeks, 7 carrots, 2 bulbs of garlic, 2 cheap bottles of white wine and i'll add 1kg of potatoes for the final hour of cooking. not sure how i'm going to fit it into my freezer lol. bottle for comparison

very nice, i had to make do with just kielbasa and chorizo with garlic and onions and a bunch of black beans with a little cayenne powder and paprika. normally i'd have put celery and green peppers in there but these are hard times and we're basically rationing.

the biggest rationing challenge?

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

People have been stealing masks from the hospital, they've had to be locked away. Now if you have a cardiac arrest we have to wait for someone to go and get the PPE before we can start. Also they've been stealing the alcohol gel from the corridors.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

very nice, i had to make do with just kielbasa and chorizo with garlic and onions and a bunch of black beans with a little cayenne powder and paprika. normally i'd have put celery and green peppers in there but these are hard times and we're basically rationing.

the biggest rationing challenge?

Lol. Sainsbury's had the still packaged ham and chicken they have behind the deli counter but I couldn't really get myself to spend £40 on ham when it wasn't the nicer kinds they have

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bakeneko posted:

Well here's Johns Hopkins saying basically the same thing. And here is the immunologist Ian Frazer discussing the virus (the mask part is at 9:20 but the whole thing is worth a watch imo).

the jon hopkins link says exactly what i said.

quote:

Certain models of professional, tight-fitting respirators (such as the N95) can protect health care workers as they care for infected patients.

For the general public without respiratory illness, wearing lightweight disposable surgical masks is not recommended. Because they don’t fit tightly, they may allow tiny infected droplets to get into the nose, mouth or eyes. Also, people with the virus on their hands who touch their face under a mask might become infected.

People with a respiratory illness can wear these masks to lessen their chance of infecting others.
Bear in mind that stocking up on masks makes fewer available for sick patients and health care workers who need them.

So N95s do work, and the surgical masks are still socially responsible and help prevent disease spread because you may be infectious without knowing it
somehow these two things are getting bundled into "no masks don't work" when theyr actually saying that yes, both types of mask do work but at different things

e: its basically an attempt to stop people buying masks cause there aren't any, and presumably to assuage panic at the lack of protection provided to the general public compared to Asia.
and as someone posted above, it offloads responsibility away from the govs lovely preparing, cause what they're actually saying is the public were well ahead of the government on buying the right PPE.
I didn't even buy mine early because like an idiot I beleived the no masks nonsense, until i saw a guy on youtube in Wuhan showing what it was like to be outside during quarantine.
Me late buying masks was still like 2 weeks ahead at least of the government though.

I don't know if official NHS guidance has even changed to advise n95s instead of inadequate droplet masks yet

also also, this post isn't meant to be aggressive at you, mate. stay safe

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 21, 2020

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Ooh I went for a walk this afternoon and found some of these, do you know what they are called?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

vodka and orange or pineapple squash is pretty acceptable as well, particularly if chilled. Have yet to find anything I can get away with putting rum in except for hot chocolate, which isn’t ideal because hot chocolate supplies are running low. I believe perhaps mixing rum with fruit syrup from tinned fruit and then gently warming it with said tinned fruit may work.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Let's check in with today's curves

That US case curve :stonklol:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

this is with us only testing critical cases too lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

spiderbot posted:

Ooh I went for a walk this afternoon and found some of these, do you know what they are called?

could be a wood anemone?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

the jon hopkins link says exactly what i said.

So N95s do work, and the surgical masks are still socially responsible and help disease spread because you may be infectious without knowing it
somehow these two things are getting bundled into "no masks don't work" when theyr actually saying that yes, both types of mask do work but at different things

e: its basically an attempt to stop people buying masks cause there aren't any, and presumably to assuage panic at the lack of protection provided to the general public compared to Asia.
and as someone posted above, it offloads responsibility away from the govs lovely preparing, cause what they're actually saying is the public were well ahead of the government on buying the right PPE.
I didn't even buy mine early because like an idiot I beleived the no masks nonsense, until i saw a guy on youtube in Wuhan showing what it was like to be outside during quarantine.
Me late buying masks was still like 2 weeks ahead at least of the government though.

I don't know if official NHS guidance has even changed to advise n95s instead of inadequate droplet masks yet

also also, this post isn't meant to be aggressive at you, mate. stay safe

To be fair, one reason healthcare workers need N95s way more than the general public is while this is 99% droplet transmission, the cases where it *does* become aerosolised are overwhelmingly in hospital settings (like during intubations).

Whether it is due to government cuts/lack of foresight/conservative malice or whatever, the fact remains there's a shortage and it's pretty irresponsible for the average person buy up all these masks when hospitals are desperate for them (and by far have the most real need). If you really need a mask, use a regular surgical one, fine. But save the serious PPE for the people that really really need it right now.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 21, 2020

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jippa posted:

This is a bit of a random question. Does anyone know what cheapest legal way to watch twin peaks is? I've never watched it before and everyone always goes on about how good it is. I have decided that now is a good as time as any.

justwatch.com is a website that allows you to search for stuff and it tells you where you can either buy or stream it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

To be fair, one reason healthcare workers need N95s way more than the general public is while this is 99% droplet transmission, the cases where it *does* become aerosolised are overwhelmingly in hospital settings (like during intubations).

Whether it is due to government cuts/lack of foresight/conservative malice or whatever, the fact remains there's a shortage and it's pretty irresponsible for the average person buy up all these masks when hospitals are desperate for them (and by far have the most real need).

people also take pressure off the NHS by protecting themselves. I do appreciate that since NHS staff know how to use them (hopefully, though we've heard multiple times of the NHS burning their entire supply on fit testing) and are more likely to be in positions to really need them, they get the most benefit out of the limited supply of them.

but its not like the government were ordering them before the shortage, like I say I ordered mine like 2 weeks after they got scarce and the government has waited until now to actually think about getting some for NHS staff. this isn't a failing of the public.
when the government doesn't act its inevitable people will take the options available to them to protect themselves and the people around them, which is responsible even if it has unfortunate consequences.
if the NHS strategy for dealing with covid A) existed and B) was really strong, then it'd be a totally different kettle of fish

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Leave. Will take very many months to process through the courts. And what's the worst that can happen? You owe him 2 weeks rent.

It will cost him more than that to go to court and chase it up, particularly if you don't leave a forwarding address (get your post redirected by the Royal Mail - it's not foolproof - and then change all your addresses for all your companies who might post stuff to you asap).

So many people are going to be in the poo poo after this all sorts of provisions are going to have to be made.

Is it definitely the landlord or is it a letting agent telling you this?

Cheers!

It's just the reception manager lady, the flat is owned by a bigger company that owns several properties across London. Every fibre of my being is telling me to just leave and not pay. Mum's stressing about future credit ratings as if that's going to mean poo poo after all this lol.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

South Korea is impressive

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Where's the death curve? They usually have one paired with the case curve, and I'd say it's in some ways more reliable.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
e: vv

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 21, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Where's the death curve? They usually have one paired with the case curve, and I'd say it's in some ways more reliable.

loving spain overtaking us

i kinda assume the BBC "Mayube these people would have died anyway?" is to cover them starting to not count covid deaths as covid deaths if there are underlying conditions

i honestly cannot get enough of the title too lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of deaths, Italy numbers are in: 793 today

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

people also take pressure off the NHS by protecting themselves. I do appreciate that since NHS staff know how to use them (hopefully, though we've heard multiple times of the NHS burning their entire supply on fit testing) and are more likely to be in positions to really need them, they get the most benefit out of the limited supply of them.

but its not like the government were ordering them before the shortage, like I say I ordered mine like 2 weeks after they got scarce and the government has waited until now to actually think about getting some for NHS staff. this isn't a failing of the public.
when the government doesn't act its inevitable people will take the options available to them to protect themselves and the people around them, which is responsible even if it has unfortunate consequences.
if the NHS strategy for dealing with covid A) existed and B) was really strong, then it'd be a totally different kettle of fish

Even if you got them on advance though, I'm not sure if NHS hospitals are doing the same thing, but a lot of hospitals in the US are apparently taking donations of masks and other equipment.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Speaking of deaths, Italy numbers are in: 793 today

55 in the UK I think.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What went so badly wrong in Spain, anyway?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

hemale in pain posted:

South Korea is impressive

South Korea is seriously quite impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minema
May 31, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is that because we desperately need physios now or just because theres no way to do the exams?
My mum is a recently retired NHS physio. With the stories about beinging people back I wonder if that includes people like her? I assume not. LOL also they've shut her hospital now anyway.

The first. A lot of physiotherapists work in acute care/ICU, focusing on respiratory problems, so they'll be in demand - although the NHS guidelines on PPE don't include chest physiotherapy in what you wear a proper protective mask for, despite it involving hands on patient care while you try and get them to cough as much as they can.

Physios who aren't respiratory based will probably be redeployed to the general acute wards to facilitate discharges/mobilisation/rehab for non-critical patients. I assume this is where I'll be sent. Honestly I am absolutely making GBS threads myself about it. Part of me wants to just hide this all out at home and live off my husband's teacher salary but I see other healthcare students asking how they can help and what can they do to help, and I feel like this is making a mockery of me saying I wanted a career where I could help people. If I don't sign up now I think I will feel like a fraud forever, but also I am really scared. :(