Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

yeah, the way multiplayer works in animal crossing has always been Very Nintendo

if you have multiple people over you have to watch the very long plane cutscene every single time lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

if you have multiple people over you have to watch the very long plane cutscene every single time lmao
does it still do the thing in new leaf where if the host is talking to someone and you join, it tells you to wait until their conversation is over

also if you go over to the letter counter while the gate is open the bird has a panic attack and tells you he's bad at multitasking

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I like the Doom 64 soundtrack.

I like how it's more industrial-ambient, it totally changes the mood with the lovely colored lighting lol

Doom 64 might be my favorite iteration of the OG Dooms now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

put it in H is the best dankmus song followed by out of ideas

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When did everyone start talking about simps

I think it's the new cuck, op

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

McSpanky posted:

Did they respect the canon that Mario is faster than Sonic?

The ending is the 100m dash and they ask you to choose whether to play as Mario or Sonic, another aspect of storytelling it shares with NieR Automata

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my town is young and boring but stop by if you want cherries or to see a rhino or to leave a gift/bulletin board note 731Q1

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Marauder is the absolute worst part of Doom Eternal and if there's more than one of these assholes I'm playing the rest of the game with every cheat code turned on

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How long does jarred salsa last after you open it, the salt content should keep it usable right

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Thank you :)

LawfulWaffle posted:

Let me answer some of these questions. KCB got to go through the new island set up, if you start playing on the same Switch with your profile they’ll just fly you to her island and you can stake out a different spot for your tent. You share the island but can play together, and can also send things to the other player when you are playing alone.

I don’t really get the people saying they need their own Switch for their own island, the games have always wanted to put multiple players or whole families in the same town. I haven’t quite gotten there in New Horizons, but for example the museum tracks who donates what and it’s more fun to pop in and see that someone else found a cool butterfly than to see your name on everything. IMO, of course.

And thank you too for answering my questions! :D Honestly all I care about is being able to pick it up and play every now and again so I don't mind not really contributing to much other than having my tent up and maybe occasionally finding some stuff or faffing about with my interior decorations so that sounds fine enough to me, though I keep hearing about the tool durability and man that's kinda lame. I think as far as crafting games go, Terraria did it best by giving you plenty of options for better, faster tools, eventually being able to make multitools, but never having any of them break.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How long does jarred salsa last after you open it, the salt content should keep it usable right

A week or two in my experience, depends how chunky it is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol ok I have two jars in the fridge, one that's been there for several months and another that I don't even remember buying so it might have been a long time ago

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Without shaking it, open the jar and look at the underside of the lid. If you see any spots or molding then throw it away. Store bought salsa can last 1-2 months even after opened.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

al-azad posted:

Backwards compatible two generations and their subscription service is really good but also basically every Xbox game is on PC. The deciding factor should really be "what are my friends playing" and/or "how much of a weeb am I"

But if you haven't played Breakdown or Jet Set Radio Future I would strongly suggest finding a cheap Xbox 360 for that.

My friends don't play video games. One reason I haven't gamed for so long. Maybe they'll start because they'll get bored as poo poo though. What are some good single player PS4 games? Or multiplayer games that are fun to play with random people.

Also, I'm wondering what an FPS like Doom is going to be like with a game controller. I'm used to playing FPSs on a computer, with only a few exceptions a long time ago. Goldeneye on N64 was always kind of janky in comparison with the thumbstick. I remember Halo doing better, but both of them were kind of slowed down, it seemed, than PC FPSs, to compensate for the inaccuracy of thumbsticks. Have they fixed that or is it just kind of how it is?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you want the perfect quarantine game on PS4, play death stranding, the game about people afraid to leave their houses and the friendly fedex man that delivers sony playstations and pizzas to their door

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

My friends don't play video games. One reason I haven't gamed for so long. Maybe they'll start because they'll get bored as poo poo though. What are some good single player PS4 games? Or multiplayer games that are fun to play with random people.

There is a good PS4 thread where you can get more specific exclusive talk: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804356

Off the top of my head, and with your leaning towards shooter games -- I'd recommend you look at a variety of older games that would be on sale rather than just one new release :) -- for single-player stuff:

Titanfall 2
Uncharted 4
Last of Us
Doom 2016
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Spider-Man
Destiny 2
Tomb Raider 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Also, I'm wondering what an FPS like Doom is going to be like with a game controller. I'm used to playing FPSs on a computer, with only a few exceptions a long time ago. Goldeneye on N64 was always kind of janky in comparison with the thumbstick. I remember Halo doing better, but both of them were kind of slowed down, it seemed, than PC FPSs, to compensate for the inaccuracy of thumbsticks. Have they fixed that or is it just kind of how it is?

Yeah I don't like playing FPS with a gamepad either, it's gotten better with the standardized design and refined auto-aim options but it is what it is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Titanfall 2: One of the Best FPS Games of All Time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHvoaAAhGno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqeMjHmL9eg

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

doom 2016 was the same on console as pc, as a lot of people have gotten used to playing fps with a controller now theyve realised people can keep up (to a point, you arent going to see quake level speed probably). theres def a steep learning curve on using a pad if youre used to a mouse that doesnt happen so much the other way around, so itll feel unweildy at first but youll soon get used to it. make sure to mess with control options to find what makes sense to you, you can change sensitivity and inversion and some people prefer inverted up down, usually cos of goldeneye and perfect dark defaulting to that and breaking people early on.

ps4 single player games depending on your taste:

the last of us remasted, sequel coming out soon. zombie survival horror thing but with a story focus
uncharted collection and uncharted 4, indiana jones style action shooter game
spiderman ps4, open world spiderman swing around and be spiderman spiderman game
horizon zero dawn, open world robot dinosaur fighting sim
bloodborne, spooky semi-victorian-lovecraftish game with a high level of difficulty
gran turismo sport, racing sim
persona 5, life sim/dungeon crawling/demon taming jrpg
shadow of the collosus, boy fighting a bunch of gigantic things em up
last guardian, make a large bird dog listen to you em up
everybody's golf, arcadey golf game, similar to mario golf stuff
god of war, half dad sim half beating up mythical things in the snow sim
rachet and clank, collectible platformer
yakuza series, japanese mafia-em-up/bizzare minigame collection game
until dawn, spooky horror drama
nioh series, bloodborne but ninjas and with diablo looting
gravity rush series, gravity manipulation actiony adventurey platformery games
death stranding, hideo kojima makes a game about the coronavirus a year before it happened

other stuff i cant think of but someone else will probably remember. also obviously tons of multiplatform stuff, these are exclusives

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's not that bad. Like you noticed, FPSes designed with consoles in mind tend to be slower-paced and don't ask you to do anything a controller can't handle. Things have changed a lot since Goldeneye, we've learned how to make first-person movement look and feel better and how to add assistance "cheats" that make it easy to make your character do what you intend without feeling like the game is playing itself for you.

That said, Doom specifically is still a PC FPS at heart and is right at the limit of what the average person with a controller can handle. It has fast movement, fast enemies, and a minimum of aim assistance (possibly none at all).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I never really got the appeal of Twitch but now the Chapo boys are doing an unboxing of vintage Gulf War trading cards and arguing over who has the strongest deck. And now I get it.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Thanks y'all

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Infinitum posted:

Someone toss a coin for me and tell me heads or tails.

Did you do anything to your av after I queued it up? I'm trying to remove the split.

Haven't touched it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1241503733613121537

Gamestop will not survive this crisis I think

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
GameStop Executive in 2020: hold on guys, maybe this digital thing has something going for it :thunk:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

drat, I liked going cheap ps3/Xbox 360 hunting but good riddance. Thankfully employees are getting two weeks pay.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

Haven't touched it

I've queued it again. Lets see if it takes this time! If your split disappears you'll know it worked!

Convex posted:

GameStop Executive in 2020: hold on guys, maybe this digital thing has something going for it :thunk:

Literally the only way they'll survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hFstusDZNk

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

are the split avs getting bigger or am i just experiencing visual hallucinations again

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

avs are getting taller, days are getting longer, and my time left, is growing shorter

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The issue with split long avs is that the forum used to do them really nicely, in that you just bought 2 avatars and stacked them on top of each other. Which was nice cause it only cost you $10.

Then some CSS got changed like over a year ago and it put a split between your purchased avatar and the title text field section (Where the bottom half of the avatar would go)
So you end up with a line in the middle that looks not great.

There were 2 solutions to the problem
1.) You ask very very very nicely to an admin and they'll upload a full sized avatar for you. (Mine for example)

2.) You purchase 3 avatars. 1st is the bottom, 2nd is the top. You save the urls of both of these. Then purchase a 3rd 1x1 transparent png avatar, then stick the avatars together and fixes it. I have done this and it costs you $15 to do.

Seeing how I am one of the new Idiot Kings, it is within my power to modify your title.. soooooooo I just add the transparent line at the top and fix the split.
Only downside to this is there's a weird 'gap' at the top of your avatar.. but it fixes the split.. so like.. it's better.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i dont like tall avs unless theyre really good. i have not seen any that fit that criteria so far though. no offense

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i attempted to get this al columbia piece down to avatar size a while back but no matter how you chop and screw it it's completely unreadable at government legislated avatar restrictions. i hadn't considered longaving it though maybe i'll give it a shot

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So, using Ometeotl's av as an example, if you want to purchase a longav for yourself

1.) You purchase the bottom half FIRST

Then copy the url
code:
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/d8/8b/00184374.0003.png[/img]
2.) You then purchase the TOP half SECOND

and in the 'Title Text' field section you paste the URL for the bottom half.
code:
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/d8/8b/00184374.0003.png[/img]
-----------------------

You avatar will then look something like this:

-----------------------

:siren: To FIX the split you have 2 options :siren:

1.) Purchase a 3rd avatar, which is basically a transparent 1 pixel high avatar.

Save this if you want to do it
code:
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/d6/92/00143244.0009.png[/img]
2.) You ask me very very nicely, and I will fix the split for you. (On the assumption that I'm still IK at the time)

Forbidden 3rd option
I see your split av and fix it for you

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

(Also protip I queued 3 split fixes today)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
great post, quick question since you're the av editing master, how many parts COULD you have in one long av?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

extremely sad that "social distance warrior" is too long for a username

alright which one of you fucks took this name in path of exile

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

great post, quick question since you're the av editing master, how many parts COULD you have in one long av?

If you're talking about 'how big should my longav be'? I think 300 pixels high should be the upper limit, once you add in title text + tags anything past that gets obnoxious.

2x 150x150 avatars basically.

I know there has been ~rumblings~ on the back-end about people not happy with the general height of avatars these days, so I'm trying to keep things inline and not cause too much grief.

When I was handing out the Raccoon Goon tags I stepped in a few times to reduce height because some peoples were just ridiculous.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the only time it's worth it to have a multipart av is when there's 5 parts and they're exodia

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neb3UWNqs2c

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i dont mind the big avs but the ones that also have like three gang tags are a bit much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
avs should be assigned, imo, and part of growing as a poster is learning to love your av