Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Tnuctip posted:

If you have an AC edition switch you get an AC switch to put in your house when you start. Even more jelly of the wife now.

Just need the joycons. I borrowed my gf's AC joycons and it worked with my switch to get the gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So the shop that opens up happens to sell the ladder recipe.

Needless to say, many goons took advantage of this situation.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm excited to start Animal Crossing!!

I hit you with a glowing net of light, Selch!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Carcosa is coming along... the museum and store finish up tomorrow. I have apples, coconuts, pears, and cherries. My rivers are like an "n" shape, with two fresh streams that lead to the ocean. I'm going to mess around with designing shirts after work.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Aphrodite posted:

One type of tree can only be planted on the north side of your island or something. It may be that.

It was this. Specific to a certain terrain, but the message you get trying to plant it where it can't be planted is just a generic 'there's no space here' message.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I sold my cardboard box. Can I get a new one or will I be able to build something relatively early for storage? I have a toolbox but I can't put anything in it for some reason.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Xeras posted:

I sold my cardboard box. Can I get a new one or will I be able to build something relatively early for storage? I have a toolbox but I can't put anything in it for some reason.

You get free storage when you upgrade to a house. The cardboard box doesn't really store anything.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Day two was eventful: I managed to get all the supplies for Nook's Cranny and gave 15 things to the museum before 10 am, and I managed to complete the Cast Master challenge thing (which was hard and may have involved some resetting).

I also convinced a blue goat and a red squirrel to move in, but it might be a while if I read things right. I'll probably need to make another island trip.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I've only been on two island adventures, and I didn't like either of the guys I saw hanging around. I hope they don't try and stay.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Got my aquarium wall how I want it. How much bigger on the outside is the next house upgrade?

Also Sterling is my favorite.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Y'all, you can hop little corners! Sometimes if you run into a small enough water bump you'll just hop right over it!

Fistful of Silence posted:

Maybe I’m getting old or something (I never used to have this problem) but I seem to be having trouble catching the big, rare fish in the ocean (and only them). Do I need to just take a guess when the actual bite will be to get them? Or am I maybe getting screwed by a bit of audio lag in my setup somewhere?

Don't even need the audio cues. I was fishing last night trying to get a high streak and was watching 30 Rock. You get a stronger vibration when the fish actually bites, so you learn to jus tignore the baby nibbles and only tap when you feel that bigger buzz.

Waffle! posted:

I've only been on two island adventures, and I didn't like either of the guys I saw hanging around. I hope they don't try and stay.

Sorry bud! I felt the same about 2 people, only invited 1. Today I am spending a lot of time building stuff for 3 people to move in. So you get who ya get in that regard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We still doing friend codes?

SW-5790-1061-7339

I got pears!

Should I add you guys? Is there a list somewhere?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Sorry bud! I felt the same about 2 people, only invited 1. Today I am spending a lot of time building stuff for 3 people to move in. So you get who ya get in that regard.

Yeah, as I said I invited two but got the thing for three. However there's no knowing if it's going to be someone I saw or someone completely random. I'm sure the game will push you through the building houses part regardless of whether you invited someone anyway, otherwise people would be stuck grinding miles until they find the perfect villagers and that seems very anti-AC to have to do something specific like that to move your island forward.

Pollyanna posted:

We still doing friend codes?

SW-5790-1061-7339

I got pears!

Should I add you guys? Is there a list somewhere?

read the OP :ssh:

edit: probably the discord/spreadsheet should be put before the fan art, to be fair

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Clocks posted:

read the OP :ssh:

Haha as if I ever read OPs.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Khanstant posted:

Lol I should clarify, I was using my Nook tickets to forage some iron. I couldn't hate on fellow gang members!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
One of my favourite things to do on other players’ islands is take out my harmonica and just playing it around them randomly. I feel like it’s a weird way of communicating and I have a weird sense of fun playing nonsensical notes.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

already seeing some sick coords on you people :3:

e: if you're aiming for Total Trash you get total from planting three types of non-native fruit

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 21, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the can becomes a planter for flowers

The second can you get can become a finger harp!

The first two islands I traveled to had the exact same fruit (oranges) and flowers as mine :argh: but I was able to get enough material for Timmy to start building the new store. It and the Museum open tomorrow I guess?

The third island had bamboo which is neat; I brought some back to plant. But when you chop at a bamboo you can get bamboo pieces and spring bamboo pieces. Will they be used later to craft stuff?

Also I'm now going to upgrade my house again to make it bigger, but I've planted a bunch of flowers around my place and I don't want to lose them. Is there a guide online somewhere that I can see how big the place will be (2nd house after tent) so I can plan accordingly?

Also I had no idea yesterday that you could purchase tools from Timmy and a ton of presents floated by because I didn't have the slingshot :doh:

OH! And often when I'm walking around I'll hear the creaking song of an insect but there is nothing visible anywhere. I seem to remember in a past AC game that this was a buried insect? Am I thinking correctly? It's driving me crazy... maybe a Jerusalem cricket?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Tomtrek posted:

I went with a bad Trek reference instead.

Sup trek reference goon?(Been like a few years since I attached a photo, rusty as hell, sorry)

https://imgur.com/a/APjW837

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 21, 2020

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Deified Data posted:

I'm playing with my GF with myself as the primary villager and we're trying to figure out how to get her a shovel and an axe. I got mine from the shop building project but since no one in town will even mention the shop to her she can't get them. Any idea what she needs to be doing?

Timmy sells the DIY recipe for axe (and flimsy axes) on the second page of store items. To get the shovel I think you gotta talk to Blathers in the museum tent.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone who wants some oranges or Northern Hemisphere Fish/Bugs I'm opening Nox

Dodo code 58YD1

Cherries are appreciated

Shop also has ladder and pole recipes

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is travelling to mystery islands going to be the main way to trick animals into moving to my Nook's slum? Or will they eventually turn up on their own?

Actually why are they standing around on deserted islands in the first place?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Zore posted:

Dodo code 58YD1

Cherries are appreciated

Dropping some off!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

stev posted:

Is travelling to mystery islands going to be the main way to trick animals into moving to my Nook's slum? Or will they eventually turn up on their own?

Actually why are they standing around on deserted islands in the first place?

After the first 3 they start moving in randomly

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

jimmydalad posted:

So the shop that opens up happens to sell the ladder recipe.

Needless to say, many goons took advantage of this situation.

Look at me all handsome in my paisley bandana and recycled boots
Thanks for the ladder, the peaches, and the good times. I hope my pears helped out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Day 2 I got the museum and shop ready to go, and managed two island trips, expanded my inventory, got pretty good tools, key ring, and advanced pattern editor. Pretty good all things told

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I have furniture placed directly to the left and right sides of my house. I just paid to make the house bigger. Will I need to move the furniture before the house gets expanded? I’m worried if I don’t Nook will be like “Sorry, there was stuff in the way. Move it and we’ll try again tomorrow”.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Maybe this is a dumb question but where do you find your own dodo code?

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Isn't that box behind Timmy for stuff that had to be relocated due to construction?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

man nurse posted:

I have furniture placed directly to the left and right sides of my house. I just paid to make the house bigger. Will I need to move the furniture before the house gets expanded? I’m worried if I don’t Nook will be like “Sorry, there was stuff in the way. Move it and we’ll try again tomorrow”.

I believe any furniture that ends up being in the way of construction just gets sent to the recycle bin in resident services

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

No you’re fine the house will expand out around your stuff. You’ll just need to move things around back to the walls.

Edit:oh you meant the outside never mind.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I guess this is the game that will finally make me buy Nintendo Online. I went on an island tour five times, and no non-native fruit, aside from a nice haul of bamboo and coconuts.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Don't even need the audio cues. I was fishing last night trying to get a high streak and was watching 30 Rock. You get a stronger vibration when the fish actually bites, so you learn to jus tignore the baby nibbles and only tap when you feel that bigger buzz.

Appreciate the tip! I’ll try to learn to do it that way eventually too, but I’ve been playing since the GameCube AC so using the audio is pretty ingrained. 🙂

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Dixville posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question but where do you find your own dodo code?

Go to the airport and choose to let people enter, it should ask you if you want to use your friend list or a dodo code.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Seedge posted:

If you make tools that aren't flimsy do they still break eventually

Flimsy seems to last for about 20~ actual uses or so, next tier up seems to last considerably longer than that, maybe 60+ uses.

I'll be happy to get the golden tools and (probably) find out those break too :froggonk:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zore posted:

Dodo code 58YD1

Cherries are appreciated

Thanks for the oranges, friend! I only had a minute so I just had to drop the apples in my pocket and leave.

Sick island though. You've done loads in not much time.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 21, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I didn't realize you needed a code from Dodo to allow people in. :doh:

When I'm back online I'll get that open.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So I have a Nintendo Switch Online account, but I made a new Nintendo account for my wife since she’s the main player so she could get the Nook Link app on her phone. But now it wants me to buy a new Switch Online account under her to use NookLink and now I can’t change it. Am I permanently screwed?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

Got my aquarium wall how I want it. How much bigger on the outside is the next house upgrade?

Going by previous games the footprint of the house exterior won't actually change. The model does have some aesthetic differences based on upgrades (dormer windows on the roof when you get a second floor, for instance.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Where's the best place to order AC cards in the US? I mean the packs, not specific ones. eBay?