Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dexo posted:

I kinda agree that maybe Menards should not be allowed to stay open.

Walmart, I don't know if they should exist at the scale they do but I get the need to keep them open as that's like a grocery store for a number of people.

Menards is not what I would classify essential.

Hardware stores are being allowed to stay open, because you can end up like my sister-in-law in Vancouver, Washington and have two separate leaks spring (while you're stuck at home with 3 young toddlers) during all this poo poo.

Also Menards sells food. No place that sells food is being locked down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

If recreational marijuana is allowed to be open, does that mean liquor stores are also allowed? Also, if I was a liquor store owner, I would add chips for sale immediately to classify as a grocery store.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If recreational marijuana is allowed to be open, does that mean liquor stores are also allowed? Also, if I was a liquor store owner, I would add chips for sale immediately to classify as a grocery store.

I don't think I've ever been to a liquor store that didn't have snacks for sale.

If I recall correctly, the text of the bill says something about "beverage" so I assume they can be open.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
liquor stores are allowed to be open this has been explicitly stated.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Section 12 a specifically mentions alcohol in regards to stores that can stay open. So all the Binny’s should be open.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dexo posted:

I kinda agree that maybe Menards should not be allowed to stay open.

Walmart, I don't know if they should exist at the scale they do but I get the need to keep them open as that's like a grocery store for a number of people.

Menards is not what I would classify essential.

Menards was like the only place in the last few days where I can buy toilet paper and water.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/repchuygarcia/status/1241115427448774657?s=21

If you live in Schakowsky or Underwood’s district please call and ask them to support this bill or else the CTA (and Metra and Pace) are hosed!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I see Schakowsky (and Lipinski!) but no Schneider or Krishnamoorthy

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

This is the local video store. All of the workers closed up the store and turned in their keys.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tae posted:

Menards was like the only place in the last few days where I can buy toilet paper and water.

We just had to go buy a part for our busted toilet at the hardware store so yeah, kind of important and not something you want to wait on a 24 hr delivery.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Oracle posted:

We just had to go buy a part for our busted toilet at the hardware store so yeah, kind of important and not something you want to wait on a 24 hr delivery.

Just poop at work.. oh, wait.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1241760294776561667?s=21

JB “Fake News” Pritzker

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Back up the states by demanding they source their own supplies, then letting the federal government outbid the states on purchases?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Update from Southern Illinois:

I am starting to see the Southern Illinois idiots shifting to “the cure cannot be worse than the illness” bullshit.

People that own businesses are now saying that Trump is right and this needs to end soon. Another chud stating that it will not matter if Pritzker keeps us locked up. This ended up with them them talking about “people taking this into their own hands”.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We will definitely see chud areas defying government measures in order to own the libs, and chud states like Florida doing absolutely nothing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget chud states like Texas where their chud politicians are willing to sacrifice lives to keep making money.

It's stunning how inhumane this country is.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I figure Trump saying yesterday that the suicides from the economic fallout of this will be worse than the virus will only embolden them. He also signaled that he WILL end all these measures come April 1st because "the United States has to be open for business to preserve this historic economic expansion."

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

xzzy posted:

Don't forget chud states like Texas where their chud politicians are willing to sacrifice lives to keep making money.

It's stunning how inhumane this country is.

I love the phrasing of this. As if we can just throw the elderly into a volcano and this will stop. Like they’re loving bartering with someone.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Republicans would throw some the elderly into a volcano to make the stock market go up, and the remaining elderly would still vote for them after

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

limp_cheese posted:

I figure Trump saying yesterday that the suicides from the economic fallout of this will be worse than the virus will only embolden them. He also signaled that he WILL end all these measures come April 1st because "the United States has to be open for business to preserve this historic economic expansion."

he does not actually posses the authority to lift state and local measures, but he can put an enormous amount of pressure and ensure that chuds don't comply

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

brugroffil posted:

he does not actually posses the authority to lift state and local measures, but he can put an enormous amount of pressure and ensure that chuds don't comply

Yup, and since pandemics require everyone to be on the same page it will only make things worse.

I wonder if he would fo so far as to direct his administration to withhold funds from Illinois because the state government decides to keep these restrictions in place after Trump declares victory and that the pandemic is over in a couple weeks. It seems beyond the pale but this is hellworld after all and conventional wisdom means gently caress all.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
He won't do anything like try to force states via funding.

He will absolutely mock the states that stay closed every time a camera is pointed at him or he sits on the shitter to tweet. In particular if Chicago stayed shutdown while another major city did not, he probably wouldn't shut up about it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

Republicans would throw some the elderly into a volcano to make the stock market go up, and the remaining elderly would still vote for them after

For some reason, this post really clicked something for me. Or at least made me realize how far down the rabbit hole Republicans have gone.

They absolutely would throw their own in. And they’d have absolutely no problem with it unless they were the one selected to be thrown. The cult of “follow the leader” plus an unhealthy attachment to personal prosperity is just bonkers.

Explains downstaters too. They’d absolutely sever Chicagoland from the rest of the state even though it’d make their outlook objectively worse. I’m sure they’d be happy though, not tied to the blacks big city politics crushing their wishes.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Pretty much. Pure “gently caress you, got mine” combined with “I will gladly live in a cardboard box in an underpass as long as I can point to someone else (a minority) without a box” and combined with “I will always have control over the situation and if it looks I will not, then I will use my current power to gently caress over anyone else who threatens my power”.

I am fully expecting Trump to start shifting federal help to states that open up so that if things look bad in NY, CA, IL and WA, then he will say that this is what happens when liberals are in charge.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Thwomp posted:

Explains downstaters too. They’d absolutely sever Chicagoland from the rest of the state even though it’d make their outlook objectively worse. I’m sure they’d be happy though, not tied to the blacks big city politics crushing their wishes.

Hell, Effingham had this on the primary and 75% or so voted for it, so you are absolutely right. I wonder how many of the 75% realize that their voting yes doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Latest news in unemployment

https://www.wandtv.com/news/pritzker-ides-taking-steps-to-address-unemployment-claims/article_1d1bc692-6fb3-11ea-b9c0-dfdf65028fc2.html

Basically, they reinforced their staff and are forcing a Last name letter system to split the unemployment stampede.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Don't forget to fill out your census.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Niwrad posted:

Don't forget to fill out your census.

Already done. :thumbsup:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

See you in May everyone! Maybe?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My students are sort of freaking out (especially the graduate).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I've been telling my kids repeatedly school is likely over for the year as they know it so they didn't even blink. Course we've been sheltering in place since spring break started.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My wife is working on a research project that normally involves people working one on one with diabetes patients. She’s been trying to figure out how to keep it going because pausing the research means throwing away a lot of data points. It doesn’t sound like a fun time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Oracle posted:

I've been telling my kids repeatedly school is likely over for the year as they know it so they didn't even blink. Course we've been sheltering in place since spring break started.
Us too.

31 days is basically 8 years in this new hell timeline, so we'll see, but I told them it's probably done for the year.

Also, e-learning is balls when you and your spouse also work from home full time.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

Us too.

31 days is basically 8 years in this new hell timeline, so we'll see, but I told them it's probably done for the year.

Also, e-learning is balls when you and your spouse also work from home full time.

It's not great from the teacher's side either when you are trying to take care of an infant and toddler too

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I'm trying to teach high school math, my wife is taking up the computer working from home all day, and I've got 3 kids I'm trying to help with their school. Long story short, I feel like I'm not getting poo poo done for my job each day.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Devo posted:

I'm trying to teach high school math, my wife is taking up the computer working from home all day, and I've got 3 kids I'm trying to help with their school. Long story short, I feel like I'm not getting poo poo done for my job each day.

Me too. I teach 5 different subjects (English, Computer Science, Econ, US Government and 2 different sections of US History). We have to have “office hours” where we are online in a google hangout in case any students need help.

At the same time, my wife is WFH but she is on hour long conference calls every other hour. We also have a 10 year old and 8 year old (who has anxiety when it comes to doing school work - “she can never do anything”).

I am 100% with you on the feeling of “I am blowing it with my classes”. Here we go for another month (and probably for the rest of the school year).

The most optimistic thing about this is that I am looking at this as preparing for next fall when this happens all over again.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

It's not great from the teacher's side either when you are trying to take care of an infant and toddler too
Nope! Our older kid's teacher has a few kids of her own, and she is doing such a great job of keeping up appearances it's amazing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My employer has designated a field on our timecards for taking care of kids because of this. Basically they don't give a gently caress if you stop working because Timmy needs help with math, but technically they need (want? who knows) to keep a record of it and have put in an allowance for that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

My employer has designated a field on our timecards for taking care of kids because of this. Basically they don't give a gently caress if you stop working because Timmy needs help with math, but technically they need (want? who knows) to keep a record of it and have put in an allowance for that.

My company has started tracking costs related to COVID-19, so it could be along those lines. It's in case there ends up being money sent out to companies impacted by the quarantines. They could claim it was lost time for employees, which increased their costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

JESUS CHRIST YOU'RE NOT EVEN KIDDING. I have dogs howling along with one kid practicing sax and the other is in full teenage rebellion mode and I swear justifiable homicide is not the answer, I just have to keep telling myself this...