Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dreylad posted:

walked by a bank and it was packed with old folks wanting to do some saturday banking. The bank tried to space people out but there wasn't nearly enough space.

TD announced they're closing branches and limiting hours, so expect that to get worse for the sort of people who do banking in person (i.e. olds)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I had to go to the pharmacy yesterday to pick up a prescription for an elderly relative and drop it off at their assisted care facility and the number of old people or parents with young children out and about was just awful.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/PeterMacKay/status/1241384275083132930

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Two days ago an old man came in to buy a bike lock.

Not for a bike. So he could lock his jacket to a chair in the mall so he could leave it in the food court while wandering around.

It was like watching the first steps in a convoluted suicide attempt.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The sad thing is this demographic actually watches television news and listens to the radio and if the government would just communicate honestly about how the hospitals are going to be overrun and unable to treat everyone then they might be a bit more effective at getting people to change their behaviour.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I suspect these people are incapable of processing this kind of information. They cannot conceive of themselves as being at risk or creating a problem. They will refuse to change in the face of oblivion because why would they start now?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Virtual Russian posted:

I suspect these people are incapable of processing this kind of information. They cannot conceive of themselves as being at risk or creating a problem. They will refuse to change in the face of oblivion because why would they start now?

it turns out it wasn't just the nebulous threat of a (for them) far off climate apocalypse, they're incapable of responding to even a direct threat to their personal well being too

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

I had to go to the pharmacy yesterday to pick up a prescription for an elderly relative and drop it off at their assisted care facility and the number of old people or parents with young children out and about was just awful.

I saw a sign taped to the window of my local Shopper Drugmart. They are desperately hiring temporary employees.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

infernal machines posted:

it turns out it wasn't just the nebulous threat of a (for them) far off climate apocalypse, they're incapable of responding to even a direct threat to their personal well being too

honestly it's a bit reassuring. "it's not you it's me"

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I saw a sign taped to the window of my local Shopper Drugmart. They are desperately hiring temporary employees.

I suspect retail locations are becoming unseen epicenters of community spread. The grocery store I work at is desperately calling people in because so many employees are out due to sickness and quarantine. It all adds up, you have massive exposure to tons of people, and limited access to hand-washing. My location has a single unisex customer washroom, which tons of employees use, and is impossible to use without touching door handles. The employee washrooms are very inefficiently located, and washing your hands there as much as is recommended would mean you cannot complete tasks on time, and their are more tasks for less people atm. Furthermore, managers are under extreme pressure to work no matter what, its been implied to me that quarantining would be career ending. The store second was working with tons of symptoms.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Mar 21, 2020

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Gross; not talking about the symptoms.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MoaM posted:

Gross; not talking about the symptoms.

I used to work in grocery stores. If people knew just how filthy the loading docks / backrooms are they'd quit eating.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wash your produce, folks

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Another Bill posted:

I used to work in grocery stores. If people knew just how filthy the loading docks / backrooms are they'd quit eating.

I'm guessing you never worked in the dairy section, nothing beats the grossness of a dairy cooler. Also nothing is worse than seeing the meat department guys take a piss and then not wash their hands.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what's the problem, they're used to handling meat

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm guessing you never worked in the dairy section, nothing beats the grossness of a dairy cooler.

Oh heck yeah I did. :barf:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

My favorite thing to do is spill spoiled milk on myself at the start of a nine hour shift.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Another Bill posted:

I worked in a warehouse which sold fresh fruit to elementary schools and every morning I'd cough up gray phlegm from the air quality in there.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I was either born with a deficiency or was traumatized by an old in the past, because I'm having difficulty seeing how less idiot olds is bad beyond the collateral damage of potentially infecting non-idiot-olds.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Well you're hand waving away the deaths of tens of thousands of people. If you're looking for where your brain is broken, start there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't want my grampa to die. :smith:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm also mad as hell because everyone I know is losing their jobs to protect these people, and they can't be bothered to even try to save themselves. It's only going to extend the crisis and so many people are going to lose everything.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

infernal machines posted:

lol knowing what we know now, a Cold War gone hot would have been spectacular.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm also mad as hell because everyone I know is losing their jobs to protect these people, and they can't be bothered to even try to save themselves. It's only going to extend the crisis and so many people are going to lose everything.

Working in grocery, I'm seeing behaviour that under normal circumstances would just be kind of annoying but right now is actively threatening and it's always from these Boomer assholes. Young people stay the hell away from me when I'm stocking the shelf, they'll stand back if they need to ask me a question. These old fucks will get right up in my face to ask me if we have hand sanitizer and then joke about how "crazy all of this is" with the same stupid dopey toothy grin. I just started wearing a bandana around my face at work to try to offer some protection to myself and others and these idiots will saunter into my personal space and start cracking jokes about my appearance. at this rate I'm likely to be sent home for a cracking one of these fools in the face with a can of soup.

My mother is a cashier in the same store during the day, at least Sobeys put up plexiglass for their cashiers, Metro is doing loving nothing for ours. She's got the same story as I do, complete with people licking their fingers before handing her their cash. so many innocent people are going to suffer because of this garbage behavior that it's hard to derive any pleasure from the knowledge that a lot of assholes are going to die too.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Well you're hand waving away the deaths of tens of thousands of people. If you're looking for where your brain is broken, start there.

The prevailing sociopolitical system has accepted the deaths and reduced quality of life of larger numbers on a longer basis to keep itself going, but that's societally acceptable to the cohort that overwhelmingly votes to keep it that way or doesn't give a gently caress about the externalities. Yet when the shoe is on the other foot, ie:

Virtual Russian posted:

everyone I know is losing their jobs to protect these people, and they can't be bothered to even try to save themselves. It's only going to extend the crisis and so many people are going to lose everything.

I'd rather save my sympathy and efforts for those trying to uphold their end of the social contract. All those inheritances, houses, and pension liabilities could be put to way better use than protecting boomer id from itself.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm back to my store this coming week, not looking forward to it. Going to try to really agitate for organizing. I've been laying groundwork and collecting info, time to really kick it up a notch.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

First confirmed case up here in NWT, hours before we "close" our borders.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I would think the north would be fairly well protected.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol knowing what we know now, a Cold War gone hot would have been spectacular.

I think the cold war is part of what broke them. They did live under impending threat of global thermonuclear war, but in the end the war ended cold, it didn't happen. Probably fed into their feeling of invincibility.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah my father dismisses climate change by saying he survived the cold war. Which was a disaster that was avoided by doing nothing.

He also got back from Venice like 10 days ago, didn't isolate, and went to all the grocery stores where he lives to see the spectacle.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

I would think the north would be fairly well protected.
Eh, we travel a lot more than other areas and I think only N&L has the North beat on teen smokers. Or maybe my info is out of date.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Guest2553 posted:

The prevailing sociopolitical system has accepted the deaths and reduced quality of life of larger numbers on a longer basis to keep itself going, but that's societally acceptable to the cohort that overwhelmingly votes to keep it that way or doesn't give a gently caress about the externalities. Yet when the shoe is on the other foot, ie:

I'd rather save my sympathy and efforts for those trying to uphold their end of the social contract. All those inheritances, houses, and pension liabilities could be put to way better use than protecting boomer id from itself.

Just because society can be cold and ugly doesn't mean you have to be too.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Just because society can be cold and ugly doesn't mean you have to be too.

That veers into the 'tolerance of intolerance' paradox for me, and I've already decided what the limits to my goodwill are when it comes to deliberately aggravating a pandemic by being a greedy selfish fucker. Surely the generation that's all about personal responsibility will be able to grasp that as their hardened lungs fill with fluid.

Guest2553 has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Mar 21, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lol, my rich neighbors have had like a literal dozen different delivery trucks drop off multiple packages today. It was like this yesterday too. I'm sure they think they are being safe, but they have had direct at the door with an army of delivery people for days now.

I'm not kidding, at least a dozen so far today.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Mar 21, 2020

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I think the old people should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and stop being sick, and if that's not good enough for them then they should quit their special snowflake whining and suck it up.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

Lol, my rich neighbors have had like a literal dozen different delivery trucks drop of multiple packages today. It was like this yesterday too. I'm sure they think they are being safe, but they have had direct at the door contact with an army of delivery people for days now.

I'm not kidding, at least a dozen so far today.

at least you won't have to go far to raid them for supplies

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

What you're seeing with all these old people is a toxic combination of boomer dementia, old people stubborness, and a decades long campaign by neoliberals to sow the seeds of a dogma that private individuals know better how to allocate capital than government.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I'm kind of worried the virus chaos is going to be used as a distraction to round up and finish slaughtering the natives as soon as the opportunity presents itself

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

State mobilization of heavy industry is here baby!!

But we still had to sell Petro Canada for less than it made that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Are we ever getting Trudeaubucks? (No, we're not)