Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

MizPiz posted:

Coronavirus is going to become a superbug when it incorporates Virgil's DNA

*looks up, befuddled* it appears you can crap yourself inside-out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Trabisnikof posted:

why did we get out of the war in vietnam it wasnt for the anit-war movement?

Because you lost?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

thotsky posted:

Because you lost?

Yeah like that ever stops us from throwing lives and money at a war.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

pod save america pretending biden and pelosi give a poo poo about the pandemic lol they're both demented old biddies ffs

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gh0stpinballa posted:

pod save america pretending biden and pelosi give a poo poo about the pandemic lol they're both demented old biddies ffs

"does a standing member of Congress own a private security force like Veritas," I ask looking off-frame and then on, staring directly into the camera

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1241404818297626627

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Hope Amber and/or Kath gets to be introduced to Robazoid

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah like that ever stops us from throwing lives and money at a war.

That tendency is in part a reaction to the national trauma losing the Vietnam War was.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

thotsky posted:

That tendency is in part a reaction to the national trauma losing the Vietnam War was.

At least France was cool between the Franco-Prussian War and WWI. American revanchism is just psychotic.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The anti war movement was important in a lot of ways but Vietnam’s military victory was fairly comprehensive

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i just wanted to say, Ho Chi Minh is kinda a tragic story. he literally came to the US and was like "hey I believe in this self determination thing" and my understanding is they basically told him to pound sand.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

At least France was cool between the Franco-Prussian War and WWI. American revanchism is just psychotic.

There is this wonderful 600 page tome by Jean-Denis Bredin called The Affair you should read.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poor Outlook posted:

i just wanted to say, Ho Chi Minh is kinda a tragic story. he literally came to the US and was like "hey I believe in this self determination thing" and my understanding is they basically told him to pound sand.

He got the globe trotting experience of white people telling him to gently caress off and die

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sort of relevant to the general content of this thread but Ho Chi’s letters where he calls the Vietnamese trots worse than the French and wreckers worthy of nothing but death read like extremely modern twitter posts.

“3. The Chinese Trotskyists (like the Trotskyists of other countries) do not represent a political group, much less a political party. They are nothing but a band of evil-doers, the running dogs of Japanese fascism (and of international fascism).
4. In all countries, the Trotskyists give themselves fine names in order to mask their dirty work and banditry. For example: in Spain they call themselves the United Marxist Workers Party (POUM). Do you know that it’s they who constitute the nests of spies in Madrid in Barcelona and in other places in the service of Franco?”

A Gnarlacious Bro has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Mar 21, 2020

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

MizPiz posted:

Coronavirus is going to become a superbug when it incorporates Virgil's DNA

Yeah, I had it. was coughing,puking and making GBS threads myself for a week.

allah preserves the believers

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
felix matt and will life on twitch rn

https://www.twitch.tv/chapotraphouse

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Poor Outlook posted:

It was especially galling because a big part of the USA's foreign policy in the 50's was decolonisation and self determination, which is one reason (among many) Eisenhower didn't want to help the French in Vietnam.

Also Ho Chi Minh won free elections in the North after partition while the US just helped Diem outrageously rig the vote in the South.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

Hardon Crime posted:

felix matt and will life on twitch rn

https://www.twitch.tv/chapotraphouse

there's no liquor visible but matt seems day wasted

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Btw, Inward Empire is in the middle of a series looking at Diem and the relationship the US had with him. It's sort of a dry podcast, but I like it. Also takes months to come out/

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

MikeCrotch posted:

It was especially galling because a big part of the USA's foreign policy in the 50's was decolonisation and self determination, which is one reason (among many) Eisenhower didn't want to help the French in Vietnam.

Also Ho Chi Minh won free elections in the North after partition while the US just helped Diem outrageously rig the vote in the South.

Diem also was probably the only force that kept the south United. Guess what the us did?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Was South Vietnam as nakedly corrupt as the Afghan “government”? I have a hard time believing ARVN could have been as bad as the ANA/ANP.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

joe biden rear end stream

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't know what's more upsetting; that Felix is a Rei man or that they all pronounce Asuka wrong

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I appreciate the young stalin posters using slightly different avatars so i don't mix up their posts

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I really don't get why the FYM crew likes food reviews so much

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Frosted Flake posted:

Was South Vietnam as nakedly corrupt as the Afghan “government”? I have a hard time believing ARVN could have been as bad as the ANA/ANP.

Difficult to say - the amount of money flowing into Afghanistan was truly absurd and the patronage system wasn't really the same - Afghanistan had basically been systematically hosed up over centuries and didn't really have what you'd call a modern government outside of Kabul, so it's basically all tribal patronage networks at this point.

South Vietnam was extremely corrupt but in different ways, though once Diem was gone it was basically a succession of military coups til the end. Still the ARVN was probably better than the ANA - they actually fought and won some major pitched battles against the North.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
on the chapo stream they commented on videos of APCs or some other military vehicles being moved into urban areas. if this is happening can someone link me to something about it?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Finicums Wake posted:

on the chapo stream they commented on videos of APCs or some other military vehicles being moved into urban areas. if this is happening can someone link me to something about it?

https://twitter.com/LaurenWhitticom/status/1240833875124748288?s=19

But there's nothing to worry about :rolleyes:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Get this - twitter went and removed the tweets or photos from tweets of the humvees and trucks in NYC today.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i was watching a michael brook clip and one of the guys on his show never thought to play grand theft auto while high before and i'm like :eyepop: the first time i got high af and played a game it was morrowind back in highschool and i've been gaming while high nonstop since

i mean tbf i've been wake n bake life for years now but gaming while high was always a top priority

Percelus has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Mar 22, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

reminds me of all those loons who had their brains broken by obama who would upload videos of trains running in the middle of nowhere to youtube and narrate over it stuff like how this was fema transporting bodybags for an upcoming massacre

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Everyone worried Trump is going to do some sweeping dictatorship takeover during Corona is forgetting the first rule: he's even dumber than you think he is. He's not some secret mastermind with an agenda. When we die it'll be through regular neglect and pandemic illnesses, not because a bunch of Marines came in and torched our apartments.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Impermanent posted:

Everyone worried Trump is going to do some sweeping dictatorship takeover during Corona is forgetting the first rule: he's even dumber than you think he is. He's not some secret mastermind with an agenda. When we die it'll be through regular neglect and pandemic illnesses, not because a bunch of Marines came in and torched our apartments.

watch brazil

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminds me of all those loons who had their brains broken by obama who would upload videos of trains running in the middle of nowhere to youtube and narrate over it stuff like how this was fema transporting bodybags for an upcoming massacre

Still every couple months (even after President Big Boy has supposedly disarmed the deep state) someone catches an equipment transport and boom MARTIAL LAW IMMINENT SUCKAS

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

watch brazil

Yeah. Brazil’s right is a much different creature to the American right. Brazil right would without a second thought order army to Murder millions of their citizens. American right would get rid of labor protections and pass tax cuts to rich. Also they will destroy Amazon if something isn’t done. America will probably need to launch an invasion in ten years and purify Brazil if there isn’t a revolution there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah. Brazil’s right is a much different creature to the American right. Brazil right would without a second thought order army to Murder millions of their citizens. American right would get rid of labor protections and pass tax cuts to rich. Also they will destroy Amazon if something isn’t done. America will probably need to launch an invasion in ten years and purify Brazil if there isn’t a revolution there.

sorry i should have said, watch Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSQ5EsbT4cE

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What other movies get that "even in the future nothing works" atmosphere well?