Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

ZombieCrew posted:

That red gasket is a replaceable part and should be able to be pulled off. Its actually one of the more common things to replace. Shut off the water, empty the tank, and investigate. It should be able to stretch and slip out of its groove pretty easily.

Yeah, getting it out of the groove isn't a problem because it's not really seated in the groove at all. I will have to figure out how to get it out of there, I'm pretty sure the tube that's in the top of the thing will come out and I should be able to make the handle disconnect from that center tower as well. For some reason I was thinking I wouldn't be able to do that.

I'll see if I can get one of those gaskets, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Yeah, getting it out of the groove isn't a problem because it's not really seated in the groove at all. I will have to figure out how to get it out of there, I'm pretty sure the tube that's in the top of the thing will come out and I should be able to make the handle disconnect from that center tower as well. For some reason I was thinking I wouldn't be able to do that.

I'll see if I can get one of those gaskets, thanks.

Take the tank bolts off and it will come apart easily. The tank bolts themselves may not though, depending on the rust situation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Installing a water line for a new fridge. Have 1/4” copper line run to where the fridge is going to be installed. I figured fridge is going to have a plastic line, so I just need a compression fitting to couple together the copper line and the plastic line.

Nope. Fridge has this 3/8th male threaded fitting on it. What do I need to mate this in a non-leaking fashion to the copper?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

shortspecialbus posted:

One of my toilets has started sort of leaking from the tank into the bowl and refilling itself frequently. I've tracked it down, I think - the rubber gasket at the bottom of the flushing mechanism isn't really seated, and there's no way to seat it without glue or whatever, and it gets slightly jostled every time it flushes and eventually comes partly away somewhere and water leaks in. This is a bad description but I'm not sure how to describe it better.

Picture here:

The red ring down there is the gasket and it'll eventually just slightly shift and let the water by. I've been able to fix it by sticking my hand in there and sort of pushing everything back down and then it's fine until a couple flushes later when it starts up again. I've also wiped the gasket and everything it touches down as best as possible to get rid of grime.

The assembly there is one I put in myself to replace a broken one about 3-4 years back and it's worked fine until the last few months. There's no way that I'm aware of to remove and replace that gasket without pulling the whole tank off and unscrewing the tower from the bottom, which I'm not keen to do - at that point I'd probably consider replacing the whole drat toilet because I'm sick of fixing this one.

Anyone have any ideas?

That appears to be a Mansfield valve, and you most certainly can remove the assembly to access the gasket without removing the tank. It should twist off in a quarter-turn.

When replacing the gasket, consider using a stiff bristle brush or a scrub pad to clean all of the tiny bits of rubber out of the groove, and be sure the mating surface at the bottom of the tank is likewise clean before installing the new gasket.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Does angle matter for a P trap arm? I'm gonna have to swivel this thing into a weird position to get everything to line up.

This is a really old house, so no vent stack. I'm putting in an AAV and using a Sani-tee for the P trap arm to empty into the drain but the sink pipe that you buy from the big box stores is 1 1/2" PVC but its way thinner than regular PVC so the OD is off and it doesn't fit with standard 1 1/2" fittings. I'm using a "Trap adapter" to thread the end of the P trap into the sanitary tee, should I do this a different way?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just installed a new bathroom sink+vanity, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the drain to connect.

Here is what's under there now:

The blue drain from the new sink (technically it came with the faucet, a Delta Vesna) is 1 1/4" PVC. The horiztonal drain pipe from the wall is 1 1/4" metal...in theory.

I bought just a metal 1 1/4" P trap kit and it wasn't even close to fitting anything. I tried to put the P portion onto the sink drain and it slides right off, no way would it be water tight.

And similar with the wall drain. I put the horizontal piece that came with the kit into it, with the nut and plastic washer, and after it was tight I could slide it right out, though it was slightly tighter than the metal-on-PVC connection.

In addition, the height for everything is really off...the wall drain is just so loving low, I think I can get it to work if I can manage to get a vertical extension on the sink drain but it will be practically hitting the floor of the vanity (the vanity has a drawer on the very bottom, so the wall drain wasn't as low "relatively" to the bottom of the old vanity.

Here's a close up of where the wall drain goes in:

Looks like a big brass nut? Nut sure if I tried hard I could unscrew the pipe from it?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 21, 2020

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Well I just went ahead and did it. Seems to work fine. On the advice of someone else in this thread like a year ago I used a sharpie to mark where the compression fittings are right now so I can check and see if they are sliding down (which is what happened last time and water went everywhere and finally made me get off my rear end and redo it so I could install the disposal)

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

My apartment toilet won’t flush all waste in a single flush. I don’t think it’s me because I’ve never had this issue before but with this toilet it happens every time.

Is there something I can tweak or get the maintenance team to tweak?

Or is it just a bad toilet?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How is your fiber intake

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

angryrobots posted:

How is your fiber intake

Powerful, and consistent with what it has been for years. So again, it’s not like I’m suddenly pooping like the triceratops from Jurassic Park.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Powerful, and consistent with what it has been for years. So again, it’s not like I’m suddenly pooping like the triceratops from Jurassic Park.

My wife's at a lovely rental unit to finish a medical residency and the toilet there you have to hold for like 5 seconds to flush anything solid. Is it anything like that? In her case it's just a really poor implementation of a water saving toilet and the apartment complex said it's behaving as expected.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm mulling over getting a tankless water heater. I live in the Portland, OR area where water temp coming out of the tap is supposedly and average of 52 degrees. I want to run 1-2 showers, a dishwasher, and a high efficiency washing machine with enough left over for washing hands and large dishes in a sink or two. I think this means I need one rated for around 11GPM max because it will only produce around 6-8 GPM at 60 degrees temp rise. Does that sound correct?

Follow up question: I have a 3/4 inch gas pipe into the mechanical closet where I would be installing this, but in the same closet I have a 1/2 inch coming off of that for my furnace. Do I need to run a new 3/4 supply line from the 1" main (about 40' of pipe away)?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

therobit posted:

I'm mulling over getting a tankless water heater. I live in the Portland, OR area where water temp coming out of the tap is supposedly and average of 52 degrees. I want to run 1-2 showers, a dishwasher, and a high efficiency washing machine with enough left over for washing hands and large dishes in a sink or two. I think this means I need one rated for around 11GPM max because it will only produce around 6-8 GPM at 60 degrees temp rise. Does that sound correct?

Follow up question: I have a 3/4 inch gas pipe into the mechanical closet where I would be installing this, but in the same closet I have a 1/2 inch coming off of that for my furnace. Do I need to run a new 3/4 supply line from the 1" main (about 40' of pipe away)?

I am just wondering... how many people live in your house. That is an absurd amount of simultaneous water consumption.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

therobit posted:

The worst case here is the washing machine filling + 2 showers simultaneously. (Your dishwasher pulls in 1-2 gallons of water at a time, sinks are rounding errors.) You should be washing your clothes in cold water anyways, or nearly cold if 52F is too cold to get things clean. That brings you down to 2 showers. What's the GPM on those?

Can you post the model you're looking at, or a link to their temperature chart?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I wash towels and bedding on hot, clothes on cold. Our washing machine is constantly in use because we have young kids, one of whom is still having accidents, etc. I was looking at this one: https://www.rinnai.us/product/tankless-water-heater/rur199in

It says 3-6 fixtures. We are going to get a new dishwasher later this year, but we use a 1980s rollaway currently. Is this major overkill for my climate? My thought was that I would not be getting close to the top of the range on a 60-65 degree temp rise. I don't have a great understanding of the GPM figures, but I thought the rule of thumb was 2.5 GPM for each shower, 1.5 for the dishwasher, and 2 for the washing machine. Is that wrong? I would rather be a little oversized than a little undersized unless there is a good reason not to oversize besides cost.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

therobit posted:

Going on my experience at home with 3 people, one full bathroom, kitchen with sink and dishwasher, and a washing machine downstairs. My furnace does 2.75GPM for domestic hot water and before the mixing valve, comes out at ~180°F. The house is ~800 square feet upstairs and ~400 downstairs, which mostly goes unused but I keep at 65°F so as not to turn bare floor rooms upstairs into torture devices. Your 11GPM estimate seems absurdly high, how did you calculate it?

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 25, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Not only is that way high, a hot water maker that size will struggle to modulate low enough to run a single sink.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Not only is that way high, a hot water maker that size will struggle to modulate low enough to run a single sink.

Ours is that size from a different brand (15k-199kbtu) and it's fine. But our kitchen sink is 60 seconds away from it (or higher) so maybe that is the issue.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I mean, I think 11 GPM is based on only 35 degrees temp rise. I need 60ish degrees, and would be looking at an output of around 6.5 GPM. At least, according to the flow rate info in the manual. But it sounds like that's overdoing it, or else there is something I'm missing?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

therobit posted:

I mean, I think 11 GPM is based on only 35 degrees temp rise. I need 60ish degrees, and would be looking at an output of around 6.5 GPM. At least, according to the flow rate info in the manual. But it sounds like that's overdoing it, or else there is something I'm missing?

You're reading that chart correctly, and that assumes you have short and well insulated connections from the output of the heater to the spigots. I have to go "up a setting" (I think to 130F) to actually get 120F water at my faucet. 120F - 50F = 70F delta T. That Rinnai 199K BTU unit is going to deliver 5.5GPM on your coldest days. If you don't have a compelling reason to go tankless, I would put a tanked heater in. If you actually use a shitload of hot water simultaneously (how often is your washer filling for your hot loads :q: at the same time you're taking two showers? (or whatever makes sense.)

Page 73: https://media.rinnai.us/salsify_ass...on%20Manual.pdf

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

shortspecialbus posted:

My wife's at a lovely rental unit to finish a medical residency and the toilet there you have to hold for like 5 seconds to flush anything solid. Is it anything like that? In her case it's just a really poor implementation of a water saving toilet and the apartment complex said it's behaving as expected.

I also have to hold the handle for like 5 seconds for it to actually flush but:

1. It’s an old toilet
2. There’s an enormous amount of water used per flush

So it’s not like it’s a designed water-efficient toilet.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

You're reading that chart correctly, and that assumes you have short and well insulated connections from the output of the heater to the spigots. I have to go "up a setting" (I think to 130F) to actually get 120F water at my faucet. 120F - 50F = 70F delta T. That Rinnai 199K BTU unit is going to deliver 5.5GPM on your coldest days. If you don't have a compelling reason to go tankless, I would put a tanked heater in. If you actually use a shitload of hot water simultaneously (how often is your washer filling for your hot loads :q: at the same time you're taking two showers? (or whatever makes sense.)

Page 73: https://media.rinnai.us/salsify_ass...on%20Manual.pdf

Yeah, short doesn't apply to my washing machine, dishwasher, or kitchen sink. Well-insulated doesn't apply to any of it. I would like to be able to throw in a load of laundry and a load of dishes before hopping into the shower. It's kind of the weekend routine around here.

A tankless would allow me to relocate the hot water back where it is supposed to be in this house (long story) which would solve the problem of pressure drop in the hot line any time someone turns on water elsewhere in the house. Also, my daughter is fond of taking long showers, after taking a bath.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

therobit posted:

Yeah, short doesn't apply to my washing machine, dishwasher, or kitchen sink. Well-insulated doesn't apply to any of it. I would like to be able to throw in a load of laundry and a load of dishes before hopping into the shower. It's kind of the weekend routine around here.

A tankless would allow me to relocate the hot water back where it is supposed to be in this house (long story) which would solve the problem of pressure drop in the hot line any time someone turns on water elsewhere in the house. Also, my daughter is fond of taking long showers, after taking a bath.

In theory the pressure drop is a supply issue? (This quickly exceeds my understanding of residential plumbing.) But if you're not getting the GPM you're needing from the charts, then you might be looking at 2 of those units chained together and a massive gas line + exhaust flue. You can put a recirc pump on to keep things more "on demand." You're almost the worst case for tankless - comically peak high demand with low input temperature. The only thing which would make it worse is if you didn't have natural gas available.

Are you sure you need to wash your linens with hot water? I'm not trying to be difficult here, ours seem to come out clean with regular tap cold water, albeit our tap is a bit warmer than yours. The only time we generally run ours on full steam ahead hot is when we're oxyclean'ing baby poop out of clothing, or if we happen to let some towels get super funky in a hamper on accident.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The reason for the drop in pressure is that the water heater was moved to somewhere where it is coming through a long run of 1/2" copper to get anywhere instead of starting on 3/4" and then necking down to 1/2" closer to the fixtures. Going tankless will let me put it back into it's original location and hook it up to the 3/4".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

therobit posted:

The reason for the drop in pressure is that the water heater was moved to somewhere where it is coming through a long run of 1/2" copper to get anywhere instead of starting on 3/4" and then necking down to 1/2" closer to the fixtures. Going tankless will let me put it back into it's original location and hook it up to the 3/4".

That makes sense. Thanks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I envy your water pressure that you can have the dishwashers, laundry machine, and a shower going at the same time without seeing much of a difference.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
That Rinnai RUR199iN is a baller tankless and does a great job. I've installed several of the units recently. The size of the house is probably something to consider. If you are putting the 199 in a 1,200 to 1,500sqft house, yeah it is going to be overkill. Otherwise--have at it. I know the internal questions your asking yourself--yeah the 165 is probably enough, but the 199 is only a couple of hundred bucks more. If you get the smaller unit, and you need more hot water--it is no longer is $200 more, it is more like $1,000 for the 165 and $1,200 for the replacement unit and paying the plumber twice.

sharkytm posted:

The flow rates aren't an issue with the newer models. All activate and heat with the same initial flow to start (which I think is like .4 to .5 gpm), and flow of at least .25gpm to keep the heater's internal "soup cans" heating the water.

(Not 100% on the flow rates and costs--PFAing the numbers.)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's one of those dumb fantasy scenarios that never happen. Nobody he's going to have all three at the same time, not by choice. It's like, nearly every bathroom remodel that I do, people start shopping for a bathtub and realize their bathtub can double as a Jacuzzi. For only $400 more! Wow, a Jacuzzi! I'm surely going to use it often enough to justify all the extra expense and consecutive problems that will arise from simply having the stupid thing!

Then, few years later I'm ripping it out in favor of a regular tub.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

So I managed to order a bidet before they were sold out everywhere. I've never done any plumbing but I'm otherwise handy enough and the installation looks dead simple. My only concern is that I've heard that toilet shutoff valves are prone to breaking because they only get used once a decade. This wouldn't be a huge deal except I'm in a four family apartment instead of a single family home, and I don't think there's another shutoff valve upstream of the toilet besides the main shutoff valve.

Is the valve breaking something I should be concerned about or just an unlikely worst case scenario? Is it likely there's another intermediate shutoff before it affects my neighbors? I know the units aren't individually metered for water. I wouldn't worry so much except for how difficult it would be to get an actual plumber right now if I do gently caress up

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I also have to hold the handle for like 5 seconds for it to actually flush but:

1. It’s an old toilet
2. There’s an enormous amount of water used per flush

So it’s not like it’s a designed water-efficient toilet.

So no solution then? I am trapped in a double flush life?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Asleep Style posted:

Is the valve breaking something I should be concerned about or just an unlikely worst case scenario? Is it likely there's another intermediate shutoff before it affects my neighbors? I know the units aren't individually metered for water. I wouldn't worry so much except for how difficult it would be to get an actual plumber right now if I do gently caress up

If you have access to the main, consider doing a test - at worst a valve replacement - in the middle of the night.

You need two people, as well as to be loaded for bear to replace the toilet valve. Have a towel handy. Station your helper at the house main and have your cellphones ready. That way if it starts leaking at the packing nut, you can tell then to close the valve immediately.

So no solution then? I am trapped in a double flush life?

So: if you hit the handle once & let go:
- does it immediately stop flushing
or
- it's just slow to send water through the bowl/trap?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 26, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Asleep Style posted:

So I managed to order a bidet before they were sold out everywhere. I've never done any plumbing but I'm otherwise handy enough and the installation looks dead simple. My only concern is that I've heard that toilet shutoff valves are prone to breaking because they only get used once a decade. This wouldn't be a huge deal except I'm in a four family apartment instead of a single family home, and I don't think there's another shutoff valve upstream of the toilet besides the main shutoff valve.

If it's a quarter turn valve, you'll be fine. If it's the type that turns for several rotations, yeah, better than even odds it'll leak. When you replace it, spend the extra two dollars on the brass quarter turn.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks for the advice. It's a multi turn valve, at the moment I can turn it about 1/8th of a rotation before encountering resistance. I was hoping to avoid a home depot trip but it sounds like it's a good idea to make sure I have all the parts and tools on hand to replace the valve in case I can't loosen it without busting it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HycoCam posted:

That Rinnai RUR199iN is a baller tankless and does a great job. I've installed several of the units recently. The size of the house is probably something to consider. If you are putting the 199 in a 1,200 to 1,500sqft house, yeah it is going to be overkill. Otherwise--have at it. I know the internal questions your asking yourself--yeah the 165 is probably enough, but the 199 is only a couple of hundred bucks more.

I put a 199 in my 1250 sqft 2ba home. I don't think it ever gets up to full throttle but the odds of us doing a hot load of laundry while the dishwasher is filling and filling the bathtub are basically non-existent. (We also only have 1 working bathroom right now don't judge me. )

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Asleep Style posted:

Thanks for the advice. It's a multi turn valve, at the moment I can turn it about 1/8th of a rotation before encountering resistance. I was hoping to avoid a home depot trip but it sounds like it's a good idea to make sure I have all the parts and tools on hand to replace the valve in case I can't loosen it without busting it

More than likely, that multi turn just needs a new rubber stem washer. The resistance you're feeling is most likely the old washer breaking off and getting stuck in the way of the stem turning. The pieces can also break off and get stuck further down the line in the faucet, toilet, ice maker etc.

But yeah, the issue with multi turns is that stop valves are shut off so infrequently that the rubber washers wear out and crack/break off in the years before that stop valve actually needs to be used.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 27, 2020

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

kid sinister posted:

More than likely, that multi turn just needs a new rubber stem washer. The resistance you're feeling is most likely the old washer breaking off and getting stuck in the way of the stem turning. The pieces can also break off and get stuck further down the line in the faucet, toilet, ice maker etc.

But yeah, the issue with multi turns is that stop valves are shut off so infrequently that the rubber washers wear out and crack/break off in the years before that stop valve actually needs to be used.

That's good to know. I saw someone attributing it to mineral deposits. They recommended dipping a rag in boiling water and draping it around the valve, letting it sit for five minutes, followed by spraying wd40 where the packing nut and handle meet, and letting that sit for another few minutes before trying to work it loose. Is that likely to help in the case that the problem is with the washer?

I'm generally suspicious when people recommend wd40, because I know there's usually an actual lubricant that's more appropriate for the application

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

kid sinister posted:

A lot of stops do not have a removable packing nut anymore in order to rebuild them this way, at least in my neck of the woods.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

PainterofCrap posted:

So: if you hit the handle once & let go:
- does it immediately stop flushing
or
- it's just slow to send water through the bowl/trap?

Immediately stop flushing!

If I hold the handle ~4 seconds it flushes completely, but remnants of the poop load still pop come back.

Thank you for your help friend.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OK your flapper valve is dropping closed too quickly. The first thing to try is to adjust the throw on the handle.

Pull the lid. There should be a chain connecting the lever to the flapper valve assembly. Try shortening it by either moving the lever end towards the far end of the lever (there should be a series of holes) or by shortening the chain by popping it loose & pulling it in a couple of links.

Experiment with adjustments until the flapper stays open for a full flush, then falls shut on its own.

If that doesn't work you may have to post photos of your flapper valve assembly & we'll go from there.

If the mail is still being returned after an uninterrupted flush, your tank water level may be low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007
I could use some advice on some sewer gas issues.

Once in awhile we get a terrible sewer gas smell originating from underneath our kitchen sink. Usually we pour a bunch of water/bleach down it and it goes away for awhile. In addition to the occasional smell, we have a dishwasher that we rarely use but when we do we also get a bad sewer smell. Recently it has been happening almost every other day. Here is a picture of the pipes underneath the sink:

The flex hose indicated is the drain for the dishwasher which feeds into that tall black pipe in the far back corner. It is too tall for me to be able to pour water down it as it almost brushes the counter top. is the J trap on the black pipe drying out and letting sewer gas back in? Would running the dishwasher more frequently fix this? Or might it be a bad connection behind on the traps letting gas leak through?

Thanks!