Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Josef bugman posted:

Anyone else found that they have started doing "Dead NPC in a video game" things like leaving notes about their health/state of the world left lying around?

You mean posting about it on UKMT doesn't count?

E: 171 is... a number... i guess?

Something about quarantine IDK

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
gonna leave long and involved blog posts on my computer protected only by a rudimentary level of password protection

probably also including things like "the stash is hidden in the garden"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

Anyone else found that they have started doing "Dead NPC in a video game" things like leaving notes about their health/state of the world left lying around?

Planning to be a Dead Rising psychopath instead.
Not sure if I will hang out in the local Subway sandwich shop or Starbucks.
Need a segway too, to chase people.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

CGI Stardust posted:

Italy went into lockdown on March 9th, for us that's 2 days away. Hope the government beat the curve by a whole day and do it tomorrow instead!

What am I saying, they'll do it by the end of next week when we're hitting 200 deaths per day

Is that 200 in addition to the average daily deaths in the UK or part of it (due to overlapping with folk who are elderly and ill already)?

Like it's all well and good throwing around numbers like 200 a day, but it doesn't convey the consequences as well unless it's taking a pre-existing average of something like 1500 daily deaths up to 1700 or something (an 11% increase).

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Kin posted:

Like it's all well and good throwing around numbers like 200 a day, but it doesn't convey the consequences as well unless it's taking a pre-existing average of something like 1500 daily deaths up to 1700 or something (an 11% increase).

There are people who work there that can correct me, but doesn't the NHS run on something like 95% capacity all the time anyway - so an 11% increase in deaths (never mind critical care needs) would swamp it completely.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thespaceinvader posted:

You mean posting about it on UKMT doesn't count?

E: 171 is... a number... i guess?

Something about quarantine IDK

In 10 years time a wasteland explorer will find Something Awful Dot Com and it'll trigger a week long quest to find Pissflaps.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Until we go on full France-style lockdown, I assume there is issue with going on a walk outside? For example from my house I can walk a loop in about an hour, during which time I literally interact with no one (I might see the odd person on the pavement but can easily avoid) and don’t touch anything. Or, I can drive somewhere rural and walk in some fields etc. My wife is on maternity leave and we have a 7 month old so would like to get us and the baby some fresh air! It doesn’t seem like the above is contrary to current advice.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I watched the 1981 Clash of the Titans at my MIL's birthday do this aft, there's a quality shot in the swamp of a skellington stuck in an old tree.
Thing's to take from this:
Ray Harryhausen loving rules
Calibos's make up is really good
My step parents also rule

Oh, for people stuck indoors for the forseeable, the thing that chills me the gently caress out is building model kit planes/cars. You can pick up Revell stuff cheap but my recommendation is Hasegawa/Aoshima kits, they're just better.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Lady Gaza posted:

Until we go on full France-style lockdown, I assume there is issue with going on a walk outside? For example from my house I can walk a loop in about an hour, during which time I literally interact with no one (I might see the odd person on the pavement but can easily avoid) and don’t touch anything. Or, I can drive somewhere rural and walk in some fields etc. My wife is on maternity leave and we have a 7 month old so would like to get us and the baby some fresh air! It doesn’t seem like the above is contrary to current advice.

Both are fine.
The virus is close contact spread, so as long as you don't touch things like bench seats or gates or whatever you should be fine.
Wash hands before and after you come back. And stop anyone coming up to see the kid up close.

My mother is 72 and takes the dog for a walk every morning at 7am, and is safe to do so as there is gently caress all around apart from the birds.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So unless I'm confused the national trust opened all their gardens for people to use for free a couple of days ago and have now just sit them all down completely instead. Not totally clear messaging regarding being outdoors

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's probably like the beaches where people turned up in their hundreds/thousands making it impossible to keep good distance between them

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hmmm is that a thing with the beaches... That's what I had been told was the plan for tomorrow.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

how're you cutting your head off to ensure it falls into the toilet?

I've installed a 60,000psi bidet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

it's looking real loving bad

hopefully with the closures we will start to see a drop off, but I think we've done it at about the same point they did so quite possibly not

we have been so badly failed by the people in charge that it's incredible, just too little too late and for no good reason whatsoever apart from arrogant negligence

I mean leaving aside for a minute the absolutely astounding ineptitude that lead to them allegedly only working out on Monday that they were on course to kill 250,000+ people (and almost certainly massively on the + side), it feels like for weeks they have been saying poo poo like "oh we're two weeks behind Italy" and then doing literally nothing other than asking people to wash their hands more

what did they think was going to happen in two weeks if they didn't loving do something to stop us becoming Italy???

I really really hope they haven't left it far too late and done far too little

Don't forget that even if we went into absolute, hospital-grade quarantine tomorrow new (detected) infections wouldn't level off for at least a week and deaths for another week after that. This isn't going to happen, and that 33% growth rate is going to keep going for quite a while longer.

Also don't forget - because it *will* come up if we dodge a bullet and end up with less deaths than Italy - a lot of mitigation or curve flattening or whatever you want to call it that has come has happened *before* the government has told us to do it. McDonalds, for example, went takeaway-only on Wednesday. Lots of offices were closed on Monday even though there's still not even guidance, let alone a request, to do so from HMG. Somehow Johnson and co are being more "business friendly" than most businesses.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Both are fine.
The virus is close contact spread, so as long as you don't touch things like bench seats or gates or whatever you should be fine.
Wash hands before and after you come back. And stop anyone coming up to see the kid up close.

My mother is 72 and takes the dog for a walk every morning at 7am, and is safe to do so as there is gently caress all around apart from the birds.

Yeah I thought they were fine, but I know some people who are pretty much anti going outside at all so it’s good to get different perspective. I guess I need to hope my regular route doesn’t get more people.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Checked just eat and deliveroo earlier. Still plenty there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Checked just eat and deliveroo earlier. Still plenty there.

Takeaways are probably going to boom unless they're told to close.

It's the only "treat"/non-cooking food option remaining and people will continue to order just for the vague feeling of eating out and being normal.

Deliveroo is going to make mad profits from this while loving its drivers from every direction.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm meant to be going out to visit a couple of sites on Monday - as long as the sites remain open, company policy is that we still visit them and then come home to do the paperwork. I really don't want to - the sites are all construction sites and my work is outdoors, but I still have to go into the site offices to sign in / explain to the site manager why I'm there and what I'm doing, which means coming into contact with loads of people. I'm hoping with what Sunak announced yesterday my boss will reconsider over the weekend and put us all on furlough. The only issue with that for him is that he won't be making any money personally, and seeing as the client is still working for now they'll probably kick up a storm and we potentially lose the contract...

My anxiety is bad enough just sitting at home, it's gonna go through the roof if I'm out and about all day coming into contact with various people :(

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

sinky posted:

I've installed a 60,000psi bidet.

Cleans your cervix and sinuses with one squirt!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

it's probably like the beaches where people turned up in their hundreds/thousands making it impossible to keep good distance between them

That's to invoke the spirit of Dunkirk.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Both my friends with underlying conditions are being made to work at waitrose cause theyr now key workers.
One of them is a JL worker who is basically being drafted into waitrose so they can profiteer off groceries being the only places open

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Lady Gaza posted:

There's nothing in the advice that says you can't go out into the countryside or something like that. My gf and I went out today, just in the car and then into a carpark in the countryside. Good to see lots of other people out and about and there's tons of room for you to avoid each other by a country mile, so no risk of contamination.

Felt like we were running the gauntlet much more in the supermarket, although it was fairly quiet, albeit empty of some essentials.

Josef bugman posted:

I went to pick up some beer/support the local corner shop, and there were so many folks just dawdling around that it made me want to cry. Just have some urgency about you! How can you not understand that you need to go out and get back in fast.

Don't get too stressed out about things dude, unless you're up in someone's face or have a vulnerable condition. As long as you keep your distance from people, it's perfectly cool (and probably good for everyone's mental health) for you to take a stroll outside in the fresh air and get some exercise.

Edit:

Communist Thoughts posted:

Both my friends with underlying conditions are being made to work at waitrose cause theyr now key workers.
One of them is a JL worker who is basically being drafted into waitrose so they can profiteer off groceries being the only places open

Underlying conditions aside, this makes total sense. If they can redeploy John Lewis staff into Waitrose, it'll reduce the risk of mass redundancies significantly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

North Wales:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/crowds-leave-city-centres-deserted-17959202

quote:

Crowds leave city centres deserted but flock to Welsh landmarks in droves
The centres of Cardiff and Swansea were a world away from what they normally look like on a Saturday afternoon — but other outdoor areas were very popular

BySteve BagnallJohn CooperTrainee Multimedia Journalist
18:28, 21 MAR 2020

The streets of Cardiff and Swansea were deserted on Saturday as pubs and restaurants closed and people stayed at home as the stark reality of social distancing became clear.

But popular tourist sites like Pen y Fan, Snowdon, Barry Island, Porthcawl and Cardiff's Roath Park were busy, leaving some concerned that social distancing was not being effectively practised. And mountain rescuers warned they cannot guarantee help amid the coronavirus crisis.

Hundreds of cars lined the roads around Snowdon and Pen y Fan as people sought to get fresh air and exercises but stayed away from city centres.

At Snowdon, hundreds of cars were parked in car parks and along roads, as numerous walkers hiked up Wales' biggest mountain. But they were warned they were putting themselves and mountain rescuers at risk as the covid-19 outbreak escalates.

Expressing his shock at the scene on Facebook, one man said: "I’m one for going round Snowdonia a lot. And I mean a lot... but I have never, ever seen cars parked along the Pass like this."

He added: "Absolutely shocked me, this has."

etc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The maradona documentary from last year is on C4 right now for.anyone interested

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

If they have underlying conditions, can't they self-isolate and get sick pay? I thought that was possible now.

One thing that is concerning me, Wales Aneurin Bevan Health Board as reported in South Wales Argus has said it won't be long before over 70s are confined to home. With a lot of rural areas, and over 70s living alone, isolation and suicides amongst that age group are going to become an issue. How many will die alone and lie there for weeks possibly?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 21, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also don't forget - because it *will* come up if we dodge a bullet and end up with less deaths than Italy - a lot of mitigation or curve flattening or whatever you want to call it that has come has happened *before* the government has told us to do it. McDonalds, for example, went takeaway-only on Wednesday. Lots of offices were closed on Monday even though there's still not even guidance, let alone a request, to do so from HMG. Somehow Johnson and co are being more "business friendly" than most businesses.
This is important to keep remembering because the bootlickers are already spinning hard that Big Daddy Dom Boris had to do all those things because ~you just wouldn't listen~ rather than him reluctantly doing them three days after even the businesses were screaming in his ear, and that's the kind of attitude that needs to be smothered before the Tories try to apply it to any of the other poo poo they want to do.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's not necessarily profiteering. We need supply chains to continue. To get food

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol on the topic of profiteering. My mates TV has blown up day 1 of pub quarantine. Got a spare...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Went to my local National Trust property today, never seen more than 12 cars there before and today after the well-publicised scrapping of car parking charges the car park was full and there were cars queuing to get in and parking all down the road. Probably 75-100 cars total.

Did a big loving nope and went for a socially-distanced walk in the woods two minutes down the road instead. People are loving idiots.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Jose posted:

The maradona documentary from last year is on C4 right now for.anyone interested

In which North Italians tell South Italians to wash themselves, to tie into the current topic...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

elbkaida posted:

In which North Italians tell South Italians to wash themselves, to tie into the current topic...

Lol are you watching then since it just covered that

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
"Food in general" being a key service is a bit of a weird one. One of my friends works down t' pre-cooked bacon pit, which is not really a staple food stuff, but his factory is currently planning to be business as usual for the duration and I assume everyone in the factory with children will also be allowed to send their kids to school still.

That's despite all of their product going to fast food and packaged sandwiches, demand for which I suspect is going to take a fairly large hit with fewer people being at work/out and about/not necessarily wanting to eat takeaway.

Think the orders will probably start tailing off pretty soon though, from what he said they've already stopped running on the weekends.

also he lives in a shared house with a lot of people who work odd hours and are out and about a lot so he's probably gonna get it pretty soon

also also, one of his housemates drinks literally 24 cans of fosters every night (I've seen him do it) and I'm pretty concerned for him if there's shortages of alcohol. Apparently, the corner shop is keeping some in reserve for him, but things could get really bad for serious alcholics if there's an interruption to the countries booze supply (cf necrothatcher's dad's concerns for the methadone patients)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i hope they manage to keep making tunnocks caramel wafers

e: "manage" as in "without endangering the employees", i want to clarify, i'm not that desperate for my wafer fix

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I can't see any issue with going out into the local woods or hills as long as you're keeping your distance from people and not licking stiles. Getting an hour or two of skiing or hiking in every day has been a huge deal for me in staying healthy and happy since I'm almost completely isolated otherwise.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Forgot to post before my set but if anyone's missing the pub I set up a wee group for virtual concerts, my mate arthur is up in a few minutes and he's a wonderful fiddler, check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/201653174496800/permalink/202356627759788/?sfnsn=scwspmo&extid=RIrK9OrbZlkfaKaQ

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/gordonmaloney/status/1241462684144537601?s=19

Cool

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I've just come up with the best idea to deal with my landlord (who won't let me end my contract a month early and insists I pay the rent on a flat I'm not living in).

I'm going to send her an email tomorrow saying let me cut it short or I pay the rent next month, but I also hand the key to a homeless person when I leave. It's my flat, and while I'm renting it I can let whoever the hell I want stay there.

Perfect, absolutely perfect. A total win-win.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Show her some prolapse pictures instead

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Angepain posted:

i hope they manage to keep making tunnocks caramel wafers

e: "manage" as in "without endangering the employees", i want to clarify, i'm not that desperate for my wafer fix

We'll probably be using them as currency in a post apocalyptic world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lol that's not even going to be close to legal unless they're a lodger or something. I hope they told the landlord to get hosed.