Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Sorry if this has been asked recently, but what's everyones favorite k-cup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Read thread title

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
LPT: don't drink k-cups.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The only good k-cup is a dead k-cup

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ChocNitty posted:

SF Bay cups have no plastic, and are compostable. As k cups go, decent coffee, too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ChocNitty posted:

If you like your machine and don’t want to get something different, buy a reusable cup and better coffee. If you like espresso drinks, the Nespresso is honestly pretty good.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Also throw out your gross mold factory

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Also throw out your gross mold factory

I cleaned one in my office years ago and it was so drat disgusting. Have never used one since.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's any office coffee machine though. Even a V60 would be filthy in that setting.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah, regular clean the hopper/run vinegar and a Keurig is fine.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

That's any office coffee machine though. Even a V60 would be filthy in that setting.

I stay on top of my the 1900 TS I got my office to buy like clock work. We're also a small office of 10 people, and I'm the only one who makes coffee.

I make sure that there's nothing in the carafe overnight, I don't use the carafe to fill up the reservoir, I use Cafiza to get rid of oils every month, I descale every few months. The machine looks brand new. :smuggo:

Also, I went ahead and ordered a Lido E-T open box from Prima last night and just picked up some beans from Sey. Can't wait.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I'm quarantined in spain and ran out of our regular beans while all the good coffee shops are shuttered. So my wife bought some preground junk at the supermarket.

It's 50% torrefacto.

Always read the ingredients!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PolishPandaBear posted:

I stay on top of my the 1900 TS I got my office to buy like clock work. We're also a small office of 10 people, and I'm the only one who makes coffee.

I make sure that there's nothing in the carafe overnight, I don't use the carafe to fill up the reservoir, I use Cafiza to get rid of oils every month, I descale every few months. The machine looks brand new. :smuggo:

Also, I went ahead and ordered a Lido E-T open box from Prima last night and just picked up some beans from Sey. Can't wait.

Your office is cleaner than my home setup. I think I descale my pouring kettle like every two years.

other people posted:

I'm quarantined in spain and ran out of our regular beans while all the good coffee shops are shuttered. So my wife bought some preground junk at the supermarket.

It's 50% torrefacto.

Always read the ingredients!

I'm in California and coffee shops are designated as "essential services" just like hospitals so they are all open :) Though you can only do takeout.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hoping the four pounds of green yirgacheffe props me up as a minor warlord in the imminent post-apocalypse

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Using isolation while sick to get seriousish about roasting. Yesterday did a full city of an espresso blend of beans, and a full city+, maybe a bit over, of some decaf sumatras. The latter came out okay; darker than I wanted and about as flavourful as any standard mass-produced coffee...which means I think it's pretty good for decaf.

The espresso blend is good but slightly astringent on the finish. Obviously it's only been a day since roasting, so we'll try it again tomorrow and see if I need to just use a lesser extraction profile.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

Hoping the four pounds of green yirgacheffe props me up as a minor warlord in the imminent post-apocalypse

Haha I did the same. Here's hoping it lasts long enough

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I just got my 10 pound panic pandemic order from Sweet Marias. Together we shall rule.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

torgeaux posted:

SF Bay cups have no plastic, and are compostable. As k cups go, decent coffee, too.

Seconded--my office uses SF Bay, and it's just about the only K-cup I don't feel disgusted using. I like their Breakfast Blend and Rainforest Blend, French Roast is a bit too dark for my tastes.

Now that I'm not working from my office, however, I've been using my home espresso set a lot. The problem is, panic buyers have been gobbling up all the the bottled water here, and if I run out of that, I can't use tap water because it's so hard it'll scale up the boiler in a matter of weeks. So I'm looking into getting a pourover kit, including kettle. I was previously using a plain Hario kettle and was pretty satisfied with it. But I'm not adverse to getting something fancier, and have been considering the Fellow Stagg. Their electric EKG kettle is very bougie, but is it worth it and decent enough quality? I'd not be adverse to having a kettle I can use both for pourover and for precise temperature control for teas with lower brewing temperatures.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Jan posted:

Seconded--my office uses SF Bay, and it's just about the only K-cup I don't feel disgusted using. I like their Breakfast Blend and Rainforest Blend, French Roast is a bit too dark for my tastes.

Now that I'm not working from my office, however, I've been using my home espresso set a lot. The problem is, panic buyers have been gobbling up all the the bottled water here, and if I run out of that, I can't use tap water because it's so hard it'll scale up the boiler in a matter of weeks. So I'm looking into getting a pourover kit, including kettle. I was previously using a plain Hario kettle and was pretty satisfied with it. But I'm not adverse to getting something fancier, and have been considering the Fellow Stagg. Their electric EKG kettle is very bougie, but is it worth it and decent enough quality? I'd not be adverse to having a kettle I can use both for pourover and for precise temperature control for teas with lower brewing temperatures.

I have the Stagg. Have been using it twice a day, every day since January. It's great. The black paint on it chips off pretty easy though, so watch you don't knock it against things.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jan posted:

I have a Bonavita variable temp and find the variable temp function kind of useless. I pretty much just use the default 200 degree setting all the time. When it breaks I'm just buying the cheap version that just boils water.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

We have the breville kettle since my SO is a tea person and he likes it a lot; I mostly just use the boil feature.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It’s cool reading all the home roasters stocking up. If this gets you more into home roasting and have some questions about stuff I’ve had a bit of time off as we structure the business to minimize my contact with the outside world. :goonsay:

Not that I’m tryna drop in biz talk, just roasting stuff. Sm has had some fun coffees the past year. I loved the Uganda dry process they bought and had in stock like a week. Bought their Sulawesi honey because I’m sick of earth indo coffees and was hoping for something less dirt tasting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MasterControl posted:

It’s cool reading all the home roasters stocking up. If this gets you more into home roasting and have some questions about stuff I’ve had a bit of time off as we structure the business to minimize my contact with the outside world. :goonsay:

Not that I’m tryna drop in biz talk, just roasting stuff. Sm has had some fun coffees the past year. I loved the Uganda dry process they bought and had in stock like a week. Bought their Sulawesi honey because I’m sick of earth indo coffees and was hoping for something less dirt tasting.

just talk about beans u like pls

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

With some of the worst possible timing something on my 8 year old Baratza Encore finally broke. Noticed the grind was way too corse this morning and discovered this.

my burr holder

What it's supposed to look like

Ordered the $4 replacement part but we'll see if that arrives anytime soon with all the stay in place orders and general logistics stress.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm subscribed to bottomless.com now. First set of beans was Ethiopia Bedhatu Jibicho, light roast, and very good. I do 2 pound bags, which is about 1.5 weeks. Haven't had a second bag thru the automated refill process, so I'm curious how well it works. If anyone wants to give it a go, I'll refer you for the free bag.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Harry Lime posted:

With some of the worst possible timing something on my 8 year old Baratza Encore finally broke. Noticed the grind was way too corse this morning and discovered this.

my burr holder

What it's supposed to look like

Ordered the $4 replacement part but we'll see if that arrives anytime soon with all the stay in place orders and general logistics stress.

Yeah that happened a few months ago to mine. I should have ordered two of them since they’re so cheap. Apparently it’s designed to be sacrificial.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Managed to roast a few decafs now that taste at least as good as a standard grocery store-bought can of coffee. Not exactly a high bar, but honestly still some of the best decafs I’ve had.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

In a desperate coffee moment I accidentally had decaf on Monday.

From a Keurig.

At least the coronavirus wouldn't haunt me like the memory of that coffee will.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

a mysterious cloak posted:

From a Keurig.

Psychiatric institutions are still open.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

From a Keurig.

I've really been diving into decafs because I like drinking coffee all day, and while caffeine doesn't really affect me too much in either direction I figure I could probably cut back, at least in the afternoon.

Something I've noticed; there seem to be two kinds of decaf when you buy it pre-roasted, even if both are using a water process. Neither will taste exactly right, of course, but one will look and smell mostly like coffee, and the other will be a completely wrong colour. Like if you took coffee and applies a cold photoshop filter to it to remove all the warm tones. Those, in my opinion, tend to be the worst.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

mediaphage posted:

I've really been diving into decafs because I like drinking coffee all day, and while caffeine doesn't really affect me too much in either direction I figure I could probably cut back, at least in the afternoon.

My wife has been trying a bunch of fancier decafs since she cut out caffeine. The best one she's found so far was this one from Velodrome. Ipsento's was disappointing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tambreet posted:

My wife has been trying a bunch of fancier decafs since she cut out caffeine. The best one she's found so far was this one from Velodrome. Ipsento's was disappointing.

Nice! I do like guatemalan coffees in general; the last decaf I roasted was also guatemalan and was the best decaf we've tried, yet. Works as espresso or drip, but I tend to mostly drip it and then just drink a pot of coffee in the afternoon/evening.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Got my Lido a few days ago. I went for the ET because I liked the clear hopper better than the smoked hopper on the 3 and figured I could take it camping, so the folding handle was a nice touch. Plus, it was an extra :10bux: cheaper on Prima.

I was expecting amazing coffee off the bat, but I was honestly dissapointed in how my brews came out. The grind size is so much more consistent than the Skerton that I couldn't even compare the two. I feel like I need to relearn how to brew coffee.

Edit: I feel like I could also use some decaf. I've been finding that as I get older caffeine affects me more, and trying to dial in the new grinder has been having averse effects on my sleep schedule. It would be nice to have a cup of coffee in the afternoon but not have to lie awake at night.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 27, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Roasted a bunch of coffee tests today. A blend, some Columbian, some Kenyan, and this lovely Sumatra mandheling swiss water decaf. Bit of an astringent finish, no surprise since I roasted it just this morning. Honestly, a good cup, though. Not even “good for decaf”, just totally drinkable coffee.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
So with shelter-in-place orders and having to work from home, I'm in a place where I want to upgrade my coffee setup significantly. We have a pretty rad La Marzocco machine at work (one of the owners used to own a coffee shop). Suffice to say I was used to making lattes and cortados to my heart's content. Now I have a dog poo poo Hamilton Beach drip with trash grocery coffee. Is Breville considered a solid mid-range home espresso machine?

edit: Now that I'm back on my computer, this is what I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH9QWOU/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A11LD24OPQBDML&psc=1

Abner Assington fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 29, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Abner Assington posted:

So with shelter-in-place orders and having to work from home, I'm in a place where I want to upgrade my coffee setup significantly. We have a pretty rad La Marzocco machine at work (one of the owners used to own a coffee shop). Suffice to say I was used to making lattes and cortados to my heart's content. Now I have a dog poo poo Hamilton Beach drip with trash grocery coffee. Is Breville considered a solid mid-range home espresso machine?

edit: Now that I'm back on my computer, this is what I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH9QWOU/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A11LD24OPQBDML&psc=1

Im sure some will hate on it, but with some experimentation that machine will make superb and fairly consistent espresso. Decalcify it weekly, run the cleaning cycle at least monthly. I recommend getting a separate grinder at some point, mostly so you can try separate beans without having to empty your grinder. You could alternately, I suppose, buy the breville without the grinder and get a nice grinder separately, but eh.

Anyway I bought that unit at an auction almost brand new as a backup and I’ve enjoyed it.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 29, 2020

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Get the identical Delonghi model instead if you're committed to that form-factor (semi-auto with attached grinder), you'll actually be able to get parts/service for it and it should last quite a bit longer as well. How frequently you should be descaling depends on the hardness of the water you're putting in it, but nobody should be doing it weekly. 3-4 times a year is usually sufficient, and if you have horribly hard tap water use bottled instead.

If you you want to be able to upgrade components as you go then get a separate grinder (Baratza has many options) and a Gaggia Classic. Or spend a little more and get a Rancilio Silvia which will will give you the option to add a PID down the road for better temp control.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bizwank posted:

Get the identical Delonghi model instead if you're committed to that form-factor (semi-auto with attached grinder), you'll actually be able to get parts/service for it and it should last quite a bit longer as well. How frequently you should be descaling depends on the hardness of the water you're putting in it, but nobody should be doing it weekly. 3-4 times a year is usually sufficient, and if you have horribly hard tap water use bottled instead.

If you you want to be able to upgrade components as you go then get a separate grinder (Baratza has many options) and a Gaggia Classic. Or spend a little more and get a Rancilio Silvia which will will give you the option to add a PID down the road for better temp control.

3 times a year is absolutely not often enough if you have at all hard water. It’s ruinous on some of these machines. It also, obviously, depends on just how often you run them. I brought it up because the breville has a finicky solenoid in it. A citric acid rinse is easy and takes five minutes.

Also this is why people get frustrated with advice threads. “No don’t get this one easy-to-use thing, get these two other things that together cost twice as much.”

The person has access to a good machine at work and presumably knows how to use it so they aren’t entirely unawares. Anyway I stand by the idea that the breville is generally a fine machine but every model above it is overpriced.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

mediaphage posted:

3 times a year is absolutely not often enough if you have at all hard water. It’s ruinous on some of these machines. It also, obviously, depends on just how often you run them. I brought it up because the breville has a finicky solenoid in it. A citric acid rinse is easy and takes five minutes.

Also this is why people get frustrated with advice threads. “No don’t get this one easy-to-use thing, get these two other things that together cost twice as much.”

The person has access to a good machine at work and presumably knows how to use it so they aren’t entirely unawares. Anyway I stand by the idea that the breville is generally a fine machine but every model above it is overpriced.
I clearly qualified my advice with "usually sufficient", which it is for the most part based on what I've observed within the machines shipped into my shop over the last decade. I then followed that with advice for what to do if you have very hard water; in the long run, using bottled/treated water instead of hard water and frequent descaling is less expensive and also easier on the machine internals (especially those with aluminum boilers). This covers most use cases in the US; everyone should do a water hardness at home to determine their own descaling regimen. If you're descaling weekly you're wasting your time.

A combo grinder/brewer machine is no easier to use than a separate grinder and machine, they are in fact the same components, just separated. The user still has to go through the same motions and pay attention to the same things in order to produce an adequate shot. A Gaggia Classic is around $450, and Baratza grinders start at $120; even a higher-end grinder can still come in under or at the same price as the linked Breville. The Delonghi I suggested is all of $100 more, and is of much better build quality and easily repairable so it should end up costing less due to increased longevity. Of course if you had bothered to do even a smidgen of research on any of the advice I gave instead of just getting defensive because someone offered advice that was different from yours, you would already know all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bizwank posted:

I clearly qualified my advice with "usually sufficient", which it is for the most part based on what I've observed within the machines shipped into my shop over the last decade. I then followed that with advice for what to do if you have very hard water; in the long run, using bottled/treated water instead of hard water and frequent descaling is less expensive and also easier on the machine internals (especially those with aluminum boilers). This covers most use cases in the US; everyone should do a water hardness at home to determine their own descaling regimen. If you're descaling weekly you're wasting your time.

A combo grinder/brewer machine is no easier to use than a separate grinder and machine, they are in fact the same components, just separated. The user still has to go through the same motions and pay attention to the same things in order to produce an adequate shot. A Gaggia Classic is around $450, and Baratza grinders start at $120; even a higher-end grinder can still come in under or at the same price as the linked Breville. The Delonghi I suggested is all of $100 more, and is of much better build quality and easily repairable so it should end up costing less due to increased longevity. Of course if you had bothered to do even a smidgen of research on any of the advice I gave instead of just getting defensive because someone offered advice that was different from yours, you would already know all of that.

I was mostly responding to the suggestion of the rancilio, which is more than a little more, especially considering you need a decent grinder on top of it. But sure, be butt hurt because someone thought your advice was unnecessarily pretentious.