Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Offer it to the Male Snake so that he can finally become our friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is one of those scrolls that rolls out to the floor.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I would prefer Hats to make the decision of what to do with his precious.

Radio Free Kobold's however, is up for grabs. :v:

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 18, 2020

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Refine it both of them into a precious treasures obviously.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Big Dick Qi.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Wow, I'm actually impressed the game even has that level of detail! It's a pretty big detail because specific mention of male or female genitalia (or sexual acts) is super censored in China! This extend to novels too. You should totally save those to refine into treasures, what could go wrong?

Also super apologies fellow goon daoists for my delay on posting work got hella busy this week suprisingly! (It's procrastination.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

LLSix posted:

Offer it to the Male Snake so that he can finally become our friend!

A snake for the snake!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Lynneth have a strange urge to drink pear soup…

Kaja, the cook with the highest potential has overcooked…

All these birdy reminded Hats of something awful.

Something that is best left forgotten.

He can feel similar pain echoes from the other side of the world. It’s too distant to save whoever that is.

A tactful student later decided it’s good Feng Shui to put up two things that no one wants to step on. It is an emblematic representation of the Cult of Bèn refusal to be stepped on by others!

There are growing sentiments that the sect stone should be moved further away. The wind of Feng Shui should carries our belief to the world and not cycles within the sect.

To shake off his distressful mind, Hats decided to read those book from the rock box.

It didn’t help.

Only the third book doesn’t need effort to comprehend.

Hmm… these smells like treasures. Ancient treasures.

These places seem ominously dangerous. It’s best to visit these ancient places with cultivator of high stage, but it certainly won’t hurt to have Radio Free Kobold check them out in the meantime.

*sigh* Everything close to us are normal mountains and sects of positive repute that can destroy us with one finger.

Hats will now seclude himself to cultivates towards the next stage. He would wish to be alone anyway.

Before that, it would be a waste to not use up his stored Qi, so let’s try making Radio Free Kobold a present.

Let’s pray to our ancestors and the Feng Shui Snake for success!

Hats tries to stay focus while eyeing a wolf crashing down two brick wall to get to him. Slaan tries her best to create more Wall-offering to the wolf.

At the end of the strenuous refinement process, Hats stood up to drink a satisfying cup of water. Ahh… the pear soup-like taste of failure.

He will be out of the limelight for a while.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Bit late, but yaaay, I'm going to be the best janitor. :D

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The musical genius Kaja found the sorrowful atmosphere so inspirational that she started humming. Truly, musician thrives in sorrow.

*Gasp!* Our pet snake pooped!

Sorry, Hats! I know you needed to seclude yourself in sorrow for your lost, but it’s good to go out and listen to some music!

The ‘Hard Rock’ music of the wolf head-banging on the wall while drummer Slaan hammers on the other wall! :rock:

No way… at 30%? Third… forth time the charm?

Can you smell the permeating divinity of our gorgeous Everlasting Crap?

Finally, our sect got a treasure! :cry:

It’s all thanks to your natural Feng poo poo, pet snake. I promise you will get a spot in the Snake Pit in our Ancestral Snake Temple. Why yes, we are going to have a snake pit inside a snake temple.

Our workshop is officially open in recognition to this triumphant moment, rise up crafters! This place is ready for all workstation to moves in. There’s no way we will have poor quality with such positive Feng Shui!

One of the most important workstation is the Medicine Table for making basic medicine that deal simple ‘type’ injuries like external, internal, bone fracture, pain relief, and taking a poo poo.

As for these other cheaply made workstations, their wood element isn’t compatible with the Earth room. They have better Feng Shui sitting outside than indoor.

Slaan! Why are you chopping tree with your hands!? You aren’t on the logging list! We don’t need more wooden workstation!

Slaan, the wolf is in a coma, punch that instead.

I see Arcanuse taught you Point-Blank Shot.

An observer is here. It could be someone from a sect to check us out to see if we are worth destroying their attention. This one is powerful enough to have Title.

She flies on her spinning wheel thing and hovers above our wooden workstations. Did she smell the crafting success of our sect master and come here to celebrate?

Since she is here, let’s gossip to learn something about the world.

Kaja's sorrowfully good mood would be the best candidate compare to others. she should be able to strike up a decent conversation.

Kaja have 43% affinity with this 166 years old woman ancestor.

Always start with a proper greeting to your elderly.

Kaja nods and pretends to understood the sudden paragraph of poem about her recent enlightenment. She's a great listener!

Keep nodding and show concerns to her.

Then come the info spilling out like a flooded dam.

Now that we are on a secret-sharing rapport, we can start asking specific info.

Like the nice old lady sect master that Radio Free Kobold ‘charmed’(?).

Both gossiper asking the same question with interest. None have the answer but speculations.

Kaja then spends a long time gossiping about everyone else. She knows nothing about them.

Or she isn’t spilling until we bribe her.

A trader once said: Gift is the fastest way to get someone to gift you back. Then you can invite them as guest in hope of helping you murder a giant slumbering demon.

Kaja said she will go grab a Spirit Wood and some Brown Rock Scraps for her, but this elder flew away.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad we finally have our holy poo poo and even made a new friend. The Cult of Bèn's only looking up!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The Holy poo poo is ours!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

You mean the beautiful, immortal mountain of holy crap

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I can't wait to see that poo poo in action :allears:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Our sect has the good poo poo now. Snake has done it again

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's an incredible name.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I love that the poo poo has a reach of nearly 10 meters. I can only assume that it hits things that far away by Hats picking up pieces of it and throwing them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

chin up everything sucks posted:

You mean the beautiful, immortal mountain of holy crap

Not just beautiful. GORGEOUS.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Veloxyll posted:

Not just beautiful. GORGEOUS.

Does the "Size: 130%" thing mean that it makes the bearer into a big poo poo?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

It can fly. Of course it can, of course.

But can it be used to fly?

If so, it should be our signature transport of choice.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Arcanuse posted:

It can fly. Of course it can, of course.

But can it be used to fly?

If so, it should be our signature transport of choice.

It makes for a lovely flying object, only 1m/s

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
More of hovering poo poo then.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

JcDent posted:

Does the "Size: 130%" thing mean that it makes the bearer into a big poo poo?
The poo poo is 130% bigger, including the sprite size and hitbox. Useful for blocking multiple treasures like a shield I guess.

chin up everything sucks posted:

It makes for a lovely flying object, only 1m/s
I think that is the attack flight speed of the treasure.

LLSix posted:

I love that the poo poo has a reach of nearly 10 meters. I can only assume that it hits things that far away by Hats picking up pieces of it and throwing them.
Even better, Qi-chain control the treasure like a wreaking ball.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 20, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wait.

We can beat people to death with the Holy poo poo?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Wait.

We can beat people to death with the Holy poo poo?

That is, in fact, the primary purpose of treasures, at least in the early game.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The final words of anyone killed by the Holy poo poo shall be, in fact, "Holy poo poo!"

It is a curse of the weapon that all slain by it shall speak it's name as their spirit slips free from their body.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Covering Peak Everlasting Crap is in fact already demonstrating why spiritual treasures are such a big deal, look at that extra Qi restoration! And we'll only get better poo poo from here folks, literally and figuratively, as Hats and Radio Free Kobold cultivate to higher levels.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Huh. Ain't that some poo poo.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

SaffronKit posted:

Covering Peak Everlasting Crap is in fact already demonstrating why spiritual treasures are such a big deal, look at that extra Qi restoration! And we'll only get better poo poo from here folks, literally and figuratively, as Hats and Radio Free Kobold cultivate to higher levels.

That is actually the Holy poo poo's qi regen, it isn't added to the bearer's. Treasures have qi pools and that becomes extremely important in cultivator-on-cultivator combat.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Zurai posted:

That is actually the Holy poo poo's qi regen, it isn't added to the bearer's. Treasures have qi pools and that becomes extremely important in cultivator-on-cultivator combat.

While not what I envisioned I suppose, it makes sense and honestly proves just how busted that poo poo is in the long run.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The construction of refinement room is completed. Slightly too late for poop refining, but ready for future poop refining.

To ensure everything get done fast, Hats decided to improve everyone’s efficiency by learning intermediate charm formula.

The most important charm for all laborer are speed enchantment. Light Body Charm and Godspeed Charm can stack, so everyone will literally run like the wind.

The only limiting factor is the lack of the semi-common Cinnabar, which are mined on hills near us. Although there are enough to mass produce both speed charm, we might need to reserves for other charms and higher tiered black paper that allow further stacking.

Other important charm such as Resist Heat and Resist Cold. These are usually necessary for visiting places with extreme temperate.

Especially the Bliss Charm that improve mood and enjoyment from entertainment longer.

In a sudden spark of divine inspiration, what effect would the visage of Poop Snake produce?

Poop Snake knew what we are lacking: Drugs Elixir and good inner cultivator. The effect will be stronger with higher skill and higher tier paper.

After a long consideration of who could benefits from rounding up their potential with 0.15 points and have the qualification to become an inner, Happerry is chosen to equip it. He would need to wait for a suitable law before beginning his road of cultivation… unless he wants to Sunflower?

Anyhow, let’s mass produce Godspeed charm before Hats REALLY going back into seclusion.

As for Radio Free Kobold, he spent a bit more time to get some local herbs before returning.

Kaja does wonder when he will return…

… while wondering in pain…

And regretting teaching music to Covski.

Another unknown person having issue that’s lasting over three hours.

Unfortunately, such medicine is rare as not many in the world would suffer this kind of Strong ailment.

Hopefully no one is showing syndrome of overcharging yang in their body.

It is done. Our Snake Temple (with ancestors) is done. Feng Shui Snake eternally toil in its heavenly purpose of breaking our bad fortune. PRAISE BE, ANCESTOR & SNAKE!

In convergent to respect of ancestor, comes the punishment of discipline to respect the ancestor. Cult of Bèn’s ultimate timeout room - Maze of Penitent.

After a long walk near the beach, the offender will arise from within the maze to direct their gazes upon the vast sea of endlessness in the world of cultivation. There, they will become enlightens by the insignificant and meaningless act of mortal sentiment that they had committed in hindrance to our goal of achieving immortality. That or it connote the meaning that we will drown them next time if they don’t behave.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Does this time-out room apply to laziness?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Sorry I had a brief hiatus! I will make sure I do not miss the latest updates again.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Does this time-out room apply to laziness?
If you pissed off your seniors, someone who outrank you, or sect master Hats, maybe? They are the one to hands out the punishment for whatever profound reason.

You can also volunteer yourself for self penance.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

All hail Ancestor and Snake!

Also time for more procrastination! Instead of talking about Face, join me for a more candid Saffron Kit's Novel Corner: Like An Immortal Fairy Frog Riding a Tiger Stalking a Cicada Unaware of the Oriole behind in a Well with No Medicine for Regret. Literary devices and proverbs ahoy! Mediocre use of plot devices! Deus Ex Machinas! Sometimes there's character development!

I'll do a brief talk about tropes and what to expect in general first, and then do a separate (maybe later) post on the novels themselves.

Xuanxia and Cultivation Tropes

Both xuanxia and cultivation novels have a bunch of tropes that you'll pretty much see uniformly in some way in any novel you read, even the really good novels. In no particular order we have: MC OP, The Peanut Gallery(tm), Tell Not Show, Different Place Same poo poo, My 2d Waifus, Save Me Daddy, It Must be Fate, and Karma's a Bitch just to name a few. There's more but I'd like to stop writing at some point today so I'll leave it at those, and probably just cherry pick the major ones. Also I totally made all those trope names up myself just now and I haven't actually seen them listed anyhere.

MC OP

It does not matter what novel you read, the MC (main character) is overpowered as hell. Either they have some sort of special ability or cultivation technique, inherited/reincarnator knowledge that gives them an edge over others, a divine treasure that beats everyone etc. The MC has something that lets them leap cultivation realms and beat everyone in existence on their way to the top.

The Peanut Gallery(tm)

Now I know, you're gonna say "But Kit, you get a peanut gallery in many different genres!" It is so much worse in xianxia (and probably wuxia too). Any major battle that isn't in a secluded area is gonna draw a bunch of people and the author is gonna spend a long time on people making pedantic comments that don't add anything to the situation. "Whoa X cultivator is using his/her super famous move! I heard it's so strong it..." Yeah... in some of the better novels this does still happen but the author makes good use of it. Mediocre novels? Don't say I didn't warn you.

This ties into Tell not Show

This particular trope doesn't need much explaining as it is a literary technique many authors struggle with. It is unfortunately far more prevalent in xuanxia to the point I think it's kind of a Chinese culture thing. Some authors will use The Peanut Gallery(tm) to to use Tell not Show to talk about this thing/person you've never seen before for multiple chapters. Just to really drive the point home this thing is a big deal and here's why! There are genuinely some authors that know how not to overdo this trope and make decent use of it! The majority unfortunately, do not. You have been warned again.

Different Place Same poo poo

It happens a lot. MC reaches the peak of the area he's in, everyone respects him now after a hard fought battle(s), but it's a wide world out there's an entirely new area with better resources and stronger people! And people don't respect the MC again, underestimate him and think he's poo poo. Hopefully this happens once, and even generally it makes a lot of sense for the setting. It's still irritating after the umpteenth time you've read it.

My 2d Waifu

No, video games and pictures are not involved. The women involved in this trope usually fall for or are fallen for by the MC. It happens when genders are reversed too! They are a one note character written to be a love interest for the MC to (hopefully) get some character development at best or (most likely) just to make the MC look like a real man who totally gets all women you guys. At worst, they're literally just a trophey for the MC to conquer and toss on the shelf with all the others in the harem , never to be heard from again. No mention is ever made of them again outside of maybe a name drop or as a hostage to try and trap the MC with. Good authors make actual characters with their own thoughts and feelings that kind of mimic actual healthy relationships with the MC! I swear, it happens. Sometimes.

Save Me Daddy!

The petty villain, weaker either barely or by a mile pisses of the MC in some way or gets into a losing fight. The result? They rely on their super strong Dad to beat you up! Better make sure your MC also brought his Dad along to beat up the other guy's dad. You'll see it time and again in various forms! Backing is a pretty big deal in xuanxia!

It Must be Fate

This post was fated to be read by those in need. Much like that one treasure that one sect has all its disciples touch to see if they were chosen by the heavens to take it. Fate is unironically a pretty big deal in xuanxia and cultivation and many higher realm cultivators wholeheartedly believe in and plan for it. The MC in a novel of course typically takes heavy advantage of this, always getting that special treasure/technique/back up right when they need it. Because it's just fate. Also plot armor.

Karma's a Bitch

Tied to the previous trope, karma figures heavily into any cultivation novel. Usually a high level concept only cultivators of certain realms concern themselves with and understand, karma ties the world together. Tropewise, it means that you'll hear a lot of "You can't know about that, it will cause karma." Y'know, as an excuse not to spoil things in the plot the super powerful person is in a position to know about. Then again, the MC can often benefit from the help of someone far above their standing because the MC helped them and the powerful person must fulfill the karma or suffer the consequences. Also you def find karma affecting villains/enemies doing lovely stuff. Not typically an abused trope, usually used fairly well even be mediocre authors.

Before Absolute Power, all Schemes are Useless.
This is word for word an actual Chinese proverb. It encompasses the fact that if you're strong enough, you don't have to give a poo poo what anyone else thinks. See gods slay gods, see devils slay devils, give zero shits about morals, face, and ethics as you crush everyone in your. Sometimes the MC gets a shot at this, more often than not it's the big villain or big dick backer protecting the MC at their weakest. Generally used as a plot device. Oftentimes not too badly, but when it is bad it's very bad. Occasionally refreshing!

That'll be it for now, as those are some of the majors one in my book. Tomorrow I'll be doing a novel rundown of my favorites and not so favorites.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

must fulfill the karma or suffer the consequences.

How bad can it be? Fail to help a peasant=entire kingdom collapses, sort of thing?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Since the Ancestral Snake Hall can fit one more furniture, we elected to place a water/wood combo pot to further strengthen the Ancestral Memorial Table.

The water pot got better Feng Shui than the table… is that good? Ancestor no thirsty?

Oh no! The Snake fell asleep!?

Of course! The extra water element is suppressing the fire snake so it won't have insomnia!

NO! IT’S HIBERNATING!

We will remove the Cold Crystal Pedestal next to fire flowers.

A visitor has arrived.

Could she become the last member of the sect before we can expand it further with higher reputation?

She must had heard of our Maze of Penitent and come to visit. Maybe we can persuade her to stay.

Ah... she is female version of Radio Free Kobold with an 'evil-experimented body' too...

Now would be a good time to practice proper etiquette to the guest. It’s shame we can’t recruit her after, but proper education for each of our cultist is very important for an upstarting sect. Let’s provide some hospitality to the elderly and send them on their way.

Blaze Dragon with the Persuasive trait would be the best candidate besides Hats to sway her away.

Huh!? Radio Free Kobold flew back at this very moment!

But he flew pass the old lady and Blaze Dragon without a second glance and dumps all his findings in the storage room.

Spirit Herb are rare ingredients for mid to high tiers alchemy.

:magical:

On top of its strong capability to gather Qi, It can be planted to grow into spirit plant, smelt into 500 spirit stones, or place on somewhere to supercharge the area with earth element!

The old lady is leaving. Blaze Dragon left a good enough impression that our sect gained some positive rep.

However, fate must have a hand for the coincidental return of Radio Free Kobold.

He decided to have a talk to verifies the possibility.

They don't have much affinity since Radio Free Kobold keep talking about that sect master he met the other day. He doesn’t even know what’s wrong when she asks him sarcastically about this Rangsi Xia.

Knowing how tasteful this woman is towards Rangsi Xia, Radio Free Kobold decides to give her something.

There’s not much the poor Radio Free Kobold can give, but an used pants should worth something?

OH! SHE LIKES IT! Perhaps there is a deeper affinity from heaven for him to meet her at this beach!

Nevermind.

Radio Free Kobold later demanded some outer students to make him some good clothes.

But he will have to wait.

To keep his mind off the painful reality of women’s incapability to understand him, he decided to find a hole and dive in to bury his embarrassment.

Speaking of digging a hole to bury one’s head, we planted one of the spirit root at the spot where Mr. Wolf suggested. Canine are certainly master of digging holes.

Wow, this root cares for Feng Shui as much as our Snake!

It have… mood?

It will ‘eat’ anything including dead bodies, so let’s go with fire element for the earth plant.

Happerry bravely feed(?) the plant with the burning rock, and it likes it.

Unfortunately, it needs to grow in spirit soil.

Which is currently occupied by our magic shroom.

We will have to chop the tr-tree?

I see. It’s six times tougher than the biggest tree we got.

We will replant it after our magic shroom are harvested.

It… became a brown rock block…

Anonymousidiot is very concerned that she might be cursed by Feng Shui dirt for digging out or killing a magic plant/tree.

At least our Feng Shui Snake continues its task after we broke down the wall to let the warm air in. We will lengthen the entrance to spread out the cold air and fill in a few more furniture. Our ancestor will praise us for this decision.

O-oh no! Hats’ mind was crushed! Lynneth desperately plays music to calm down the sect master, but to no avail!

Dammit Hats! Go play with your birds-I meant, the bird cages in the entertainment/diner room!

Or a game of Go in the efficient multi-door room.

Prickly, Hats can feel the Feng Shui leaks from many door slamming and twirling him mystically like a raft in a stormy sea.

As such, we will move all entertainment into Hats room to appeases his developing homicidal urge for Blaze Dragon.

Perfect, the Earth Spirit Root max out the Earth element on all these Iron furniture on Hats’ room. Everyone is saved for now.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 23, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Proper fengshui is kinda brutally necessary huh? Also Plant moods! :allears:

Bloodly posted:

How bad can it be? Fail to help a peasant=entire kingdom collapses, sort of thing?

It's typically a bit more personal usually affecting the cultivator during tribulation during advancement or the heavenly daos sending terrible poo poo your way. Mortals aren't nearly as affected by karma as cultivators who are in tune with the dao, ignorance is bliss or something along those lines. An example would be a basic cultivator or mortal doing something like saving a god's life. If that god doesn't do something equivalent in return to resolve the karma the heavens give said god the stink eye and slap them back down to death or crippled eventually via karmic backlash. The fact it's way easier for said god to return an equivalent favor in comparison is entirely besides the point of course.

Some authors also use karma for comedy purposes you definitely see petty villains getting their comeuppance for terrible poo poo they've done in funny or humiliating ways, sometimes similar to what they inflicted.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
This LP would be much more boring if Nyaa was just playing optimally and not making mistakes like planting that Ochre Solomon's Seal without any preparation. That said, what sort of cultivation sect doesn't have an evil spiritual tree that feeds on the bodies of the slain? A pretty poor one, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure what a crushed mind means but I hope Hats' gets uncrushed soon so he doesn't loving murder me. I'm genuinely second-guessing myself on this whole cult business here!

Also Nyaa you called me Braze instead of Blaze several times in that last update.