Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
So my mom the nurse said she ordered some washable charcoal filter masks in etsy because the nursing home is still not providing any masks. That's a great sign.

My essential job has so many people calling out sick I had to work an involuntary 4.5 hours of overtime last night and if that trend continues I will start calling out myself.
Just had a crying jag in the bathroom at work, possibly because my eyes are already itchy from allergies and lack of sleep but also because I'm incredibly depressed and anxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Arven posted:

Are these instructions posted everywhere for DIY facemasks to donate to hospitals legit? My wife sews and wants to help but it seems like something hospitals would never accept for a myriad of reasons.

Prisoners nearby have been sewing home made facemasks for the last week, but they use them internally in the prison. Not high production: 10 men made a few hundred masks in a few days. But better than nothing.

In a hospital nearby staff has been sewing good quality masks using special foil that came with other medical equipment. A handful of staff are there sewing.

Meanwhile, today the first of a couple of plane loads of masks from China have arrived here in the Netherlands. Those were ordered a few weeks ago.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
In the capital region of NY, things are ridiculous

-hospitals are out of tests so they only give them if show up and its critical.
-several pharmacies are closed because the staff was exposed.
-I haven't seen TP or paper towels on a shelf in a week
-installed a bidet we had floating around for abut 3 months, waters cold but can live with it.
-grocery stores are a crap shoot if they have things like meat, bread or milk.
-local government has basically shut down except for utilities
-the quarantine is a joke since every business that hasn't been ordered closed pretends everyone is essential.
-most sit down restaurants have given up trying to get by on take out and have closed, few have said they are closed for good.
-everyone i know who works in a kitchen is unemployed.
-state unemployment site legitimately broke.
-only pizza places and chains are still operating.
-police have said they will not respond to minor crimes (i.e. tresspassing and minor theft).
-every gun shop has sold out of guns and ammo.

I now regret not buying a leather outfit in advance of the apocalypse.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm sorry dude. I'm really glad he's got a ventilator though. Can you guys Facetime or Skype or something?

His wife was able to talk to him before the ventilator, but I would assume he is intubated now. Strictly no visitors whatsoever.

There Bias Two posted:

I'm sorry, is there anything we can do to assist?

Just having a place to vent where nobody knows me and I can speak openly is great. His wife is quarantined with the kids, and kids are low risk. His wife’s family has been able to drop off food and stuff.

Google Butt posted:

poo poo dude I'm so sorry. What country is he in? Age, any known underlying conditions?

Lives in the USA, mid 40s, large urban area, generally healthy. Had minor outpatient surgery for something a few months ago, but it was not serious (face/nose/mouth related, so maybe it gave the virus a way in?). His work was related to children and education, and as I understand serves a particularly needy population and he was working hard to keep many family and kids fed once the schools shut down. Basically the families who relied on school to provide lunch and dinner still needed the food even if the kids could not go to school. Surely that put him at high risk, as are the grocery and other workers keeping us going right now.

Trying to keep anything remotely personal off here since people who know him may also be goons but drat it sucks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There was poo poo like this spraypainted all over in 28 Days Later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Truniht posted:

Czech Republic is as well

They're using police/army to make sure their mandatory quarantines are enforced
Almost everyone is just told to stay at home though. I think China immediately locked up anyone who tested positive.

That said this seems to be working pretty well so far, under 1k infected and only 40 hospitalized. Starting social distancing reasonably early really makes a huge difference. Which should be obvious if you e.g. go from interacting with 100 people f2f to like 5 or even 0 per day.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Contrasting in Seattle
-hospitals are out of tests so they only give them if show up and its critical.
UW chugging along with tests. Still not enough capacity, but open rebellion seems to help
-several pharmacies are closed because the staff was exposed.
-I haven't seen TP or paper towels on a shelf in a week
Sames
-installed a bidet we had floating around for abut 3 months, waters cold but can live with it.
Same(worth the extra plumbing to get that sweet warm water I tell you)
-grocery stores are a crap shoot if they have things like meat, bread or milk.
Grovery stores are pretty well stocked, seem to be restocking about when they run out with fall-off from that.
-local government has basically shut down except for utilities
same/ utilities working overtime with the clear roads.
-the quarantine is a joke since every business that hasn't been ordered closed pretends everyone is essential.
Seattlites are real good at social distancing. Streets are pretty dead, too many walkers though. The not locking down the whole city thing has made us on the edge of it(manufacturing) unclear how to protect people
-most sit down restaurants have given up trying to get by on take out and have closed, few have said they are closed for good.
I'd say 60% remain open for take out, with more coming back online every day.
-everyone i know who works in a kitchen is unemployed.
Most kitchens disbanned immediately, bars are decimated, restaurants and actual food cafes remain open and are trying to get open as fast as possible for take out. Whispers of a rent strike growing louder.
-state unemployment site legitimately broke.
Still running!
-only pizza places and chains are still operating.
Not many chains in Seattle proper so it's mostly local businesses figuring out to kick rear end
-police have said they will not respond to minor crimes (i.e. tresspassing and minor theft).
Police are still giving parking tickets in residential zones in the middle of the day, pretty sure most neighborhoods are going to riot over this fact.
-every gun shop has sold out of guns and ammo.
no more bullets anywhere.
Fad Max is here.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Spinz posted:

Yea I quit in October after 30 years. I'm such an idiot. Stop smoking goons PLEASE

Spins, i smoked cigs for maybe 10 years, but you cant keep me off that dank, dank herb, i need it more than ever

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Shrieking Muppet posted:

-snip-

was it one of these bad boys?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Scaramouche posted:

I live on one of the worst streets in Canada, Hastings in Vancouver, pretty well in the eipicentre of homeless, panhandlers, and drug addicts. Very little has changed here, though some of the "regulars", people who have panhandling for years, have disappeared. They're being replaced by what I assume are the quasi marginal drug addicts who may have been able to get by couch surfing, squatting, getting into hostels in better times etc. These guys are a different breed, more abrasive and hungry, not aware of the unwritten rules (e.g. don't panhandle inside businesses, don't follow people down the street continually asking them for money, other hypocritical "norms" the community enforces). Based on behaviour seeing people on meth early in the mornings, and opiates late at night.
Pandora Ave in Victoria is lined with tents now. There has already been a spike in violent incidents there.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

pro starcraft loser posted:

Has there been any good news out of anywhere in the West? I've been on the edge of a panic attack all drat day (probably because I drank a bunch last night).

The news is only going to get worse every day for the next 3- 18 months. Dedicate a small piece of the day to getting up to date on the latest virus developments, and then just don't let yourself turn on a news channel or navigate to a news website or anything with a news ticker for the rest of the day. I read the news and maybe watch the latest update from the wise british doctor nurse on youtube in the morning and then that's it for the day if I can help it other than the dank memes and maybe a relevant press conference. Nothing is really happening on an hourly basis, and nothing they say is going to change your plans with regard to sheltering at home- it's just going to make you more depressed and anxious. Do literally anything else. Make bread, wash dogs, cook dumb elaborate food you normally wouldn't bother with, clean your room, learn to knit, read a book, play videogame. Call your family, friends and neighbors and make sure everyone is doing ok. Even day drinking is probably better for your health and well-being than consuming a constant drip of human misery for the next year.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Yeah working on it. I read it on a friend's phone.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there any good news anywhere though? China’s “no new cases” doesn’t count, they’ve been lying about this whole thing pretty consistently, it’s about as believeable as their sub-200 yearly flu deaths reported.

South Korea appears to have things under control and they seem believable, only a few dozen new cases a day. Taiwan also doesn't seem bad. And Japan though they may be lying because they are still under the illusion there is any way the olympics are still happening this year.

eunos
Nov 27, 2003

Minnesota Manatee posted:

http://www.startribune.com/cub-kowalski-s-others-give-raises-to-hourly-workers/568933152/

Here in Minnesota a lot of us grocery workers are getting two dollar "temporary" raises. I was already getting more than minimum wage because I've worked for a nice store for a long time, but this was still needed. I definitely appreciate how fortunate grocery workers in my area are compared to other states. Governor Walz has even been praising us as valuable, saying things like, "When this is over I don't think any of us are going to walk into a grocery store and see a clerk the same way again." He declared us emergency workers so that we can get state childcare.

Unrelated to the virus I've had work off every day since the 9th, except for Tuesday, so thus far I've missed most of the action and danger but my schedule should be back to normal going forward. Today I go in for an eight hour bagging and carry-out shift. Feeling pretty nervous.

Hey there Minnesota buddy. I made a point to say "thank you for being here for us" to the folks at Whole Foods and Byerlys that I interacted with on Wed (Minnetonka). You guys are keeping society going as much as I am as a doctor, probably even more so. Thank you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Arven posted:

Are these instructions posted everywhere for DIY facemasks to donate to hospitals legit? My wife sews and wants to help but it seems like something hospitals would never accept for a myriad of reasons.

Yes, actually. They're that desperate.

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1241075512128286720?s=20

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-
Ugh. My friend has been planning a movie night tonight for months and is determined to go through with it. :doh: Now I'm stuck in an awkward position where she's pressuring me to come, and my housemate is pressuring me not to leave the house.

Granted it's only going to be 5-ish people , and there's no cases in our podunk town yet, but I'm still wary. Maybe I'll just go and stand as far away from people as possible all night.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

kloa posted:

was it one of these bad boys?

Nah, there is not other choice but this

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Whoria Discordia posted:

Ugh. My friend has been planning a movie night tonight for months and is determined to go through with it. :doh: Now I'm stuck in an awkward position where she's pressuring me to come, and my housemate is pressuring me not to leave the house.

Granted it's only going to be 5-ish people , and there's no cases in our podunk town yet, but I'm still wary. Maybe I'll just go and stand as far away from people as possible all night.

Just don't go and let them skype the entire night to you.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

poverty goat posted:

The news is only going to get worse every day for the next 3- 18 months. Dedicate a small piece of the day to getting up to date on the latest virus developments, and then just don't let yourself turn on a news channel or navigate to a news website or anything with a news ticker for the rest of the day. I read the news and maybe watch the latest update from the wise british doctor nurse on youtube in the morning and then that's it for the day if I can help it other than the dank memes and maybe a relevant press conference. Nothing is really happening on an hourly basis, and nothing they say is going to change your plans with regard to sheltering at home- it's just going to make you more depressed and anxious. Do literally anything else. Make bread, wash dogs, cook dumb elaborate food you normally wouldn't bother with, clean your room, learn to knit, read a book, play videogame. Call your family, friends and neighbors and make sure everyone is doing ok. Even day drinking is probably better for your health and well-being than consuming a constant drip of human misery for the next year.

This is pretty good advice that I'm going to take up myself. It's hard to focus on work or even things I enjoy any more because I find myself seeking out any news on the virus and it's starting to give me anxiety. Not the world is ending kind of anxiety, but there's just only so much negativity that I can to handle before I need to just tune out. Checking this thread dozens of times a day is only making things worse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Apparently in Paris and Lyon the cops have been handing out fines to homeless people for breaking the confinement. Where the gently caress are they supposed to go?
Would be nice if there was a plan to help them out instead of just loving them over, considering they're probably not getting much in the way of money from passers-by at the moment

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Just...... wow.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Bloopsy posted:

This is pretty good advice that I'm going to take up myself. It's hard to focus on work or even things I enjoy any more because I find myself seeking out any news on the virus and it's starting to give me anxiety. Not the world is ending kind of anxiety, but there's just only so much negativity that I can to handle before I need to just tune out. Checking this thread dozens of times a day is only making things worse.

Yes but on the other hand posts in thread go brr must read

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Kerosene19 posted:

Just...... wow.

This looks like something the local news crew might be interested in!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm a county employee and one of the higher ups posted a FAQ about getting called in to work as an emergency worker at one of two centers. Theres not going to be any health testing or ppe, just cleaning of surfaces/hand washing and 6 foot social distancing. Its not for sure yet that we'd be getting called in but....yeah... gently caress that

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Shrieking Muppet posted:

lmao

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
How the gently caress are we out of tests, didn't the CDC guy say they had millions available almost 4 days ago?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

NihilismNow posted:

South Korea appears to have things under control and they seem believable, only a few dozen new cases a day. Taiwan also doesn't seem bad. And Japan though they may be lying because they are still under the illusion there is any way the olympics are still happening this year.

I have a friend who is working in Japan and she just saw someone get the poo poo beat out of them for *coughing*.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I live in Seattle with my immunocompromised type 1 diabetic girlfriend who also has asthma and we live fifteen minutes walking from First Hill where all the coronavirus patients are.

I have only left the apartment to get necessities and a couple times to smoke some weed to calm my anxiety over how loving insane this is. We've been self quarantined for 18 days with only me leaving to pick up her insulin and toilet paper and such. 7/11 often has supplies of staples BTW. I got two bags of rice and several packs of TP plus a dozen eggs at my nearest 7/11 when the Safeway and QFC were barren

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

ilmucche posted:

Apparently in Paris and Lyon the cops have been handing out fines to homeless people for breaking the confinement. Where the gently caress are they supposed to go?
Would be nice if there was a plan to help them out instead of just loving them over, considering they're probably not getting much in the way of money from passers-by at the moment
The shelter in place order where I live specifically states that homeless people are exempt from having to stay indoors. Which is pretty ridiculous for the reason you mentioned, but at least the cops can’t ticket them for “not staying home.”

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

https://streamable.com/9j85j

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

poverty goat posted:

This right here.

I got off of social media as well as limited reading the news to once a day at most because it was straight up messing with me sometime fierce. It's human to want to stay connected and informed but this is such a slow burn that you don't need minute by minute updates.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Zugzwang posted:

The shelter in place order where I live specifically states that homeless people are exempt from having to stay indoors. Which is pretty ridiculous for the reason you mentioned, but at least the cops can’t ticket them for “not staying home.”

Apparently the cops in Lyon are denying, wouldn't put it past the cops in Paris because from what I've seen they hate the homeless.

I learned to day that the government has updated their rules and going to a run during confinement means not being allowed more than 2km from your home if you're in the country, and 500m in cities. It's wild.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Whoria Discordia posted:

Do not go under any circumstances. Movie night, are you loving kidding me? Your friend is pressuring you to do stupid bullshit when the entire country should have been buckled down 2 weeks ago. If you have any decency or sympathy for others, you will STAY THE gently caress HOME

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Philthy posted:

How the gently caress are we out of tests, didn't the CDC guy say they had millions available almost 4 days ago?

They lied.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Whoria Discordia posted:

That's a no-brainer. Either you don't have it and can easily contract it from one of your friends, or you have it and can easily transmit it to your friends.

Encourage your friends not to meet but some people just can't be helped

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

They lied.

Or rich people stole them all! I can't decide which is more likely.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

That's a no-brainer. Either you don't have it and can easily contract it from one of your friends, or you have it and can easily transmit it to your friends.

Encourage your friends not to meet but some people just can't be helped
Yeah, people really need to get it through their heads that “But I feel fine!” means gently caress-all. Last I checked, people are transmitting this thing 2-3 days on average before they show symptoms. If they show symptoms at all.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DLC Inc posted:

If there's one thing I've learned in the midst of this, it's that most apocalyptic takes are pretty wrong.

TBH this is an American fantasy ("we need guns to survive the roaming bands of pillagers"). WWII was pretty much the Apocalypse and it wasn't Mad Max

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

The treatments with malaria drugs are being trialed in Seattle now so we should have a better idea of the effectiveness in a week or two. Early trials were promising and they could save a lot of lives if they're effective

The Chloroquine is a chemical whicj seems to bind to some stuff inside a red blood cell with a malaria parasite in it causing everything to break apart horribly via lysis. And while it's v cool and good to research this type of chemotherapy against covid-19 where it destroys all the lung cells the virus has infected, wouldn't it be more beneficial right now to reduce the infection rates by focusing on the production of an inactivated vaccine via the same method of growing it inside chicken eggs then killing it, as we're been doing with the influenza virus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Stocky Manhood posted:

Spins, i smoked cigs for maybe 10 years, but you cant keep me off that dank, dank herb, i need it more than ever

Ok
I honestly think smoking weed is not as bad as smokes

*hug* to everyone this is so scary and insane

I'm doing ok because I'm so incredibly fortunate to be isolating, I can't believe my mother continues to be as hateful as she's ever been at her worst ever :shrug:
She literally is in a rage like I created this in a lab

It's coo coo