Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Please ensure you’re sampling fast enough to ensure you’re not missing edges.

Double check that it’s truly frequency and not duty cycle that’s modulated with the the signal.

Alternatively, look into if your hardware has a timer/counter peripheral that can count the edges it sees on a pin. Then all your application code needs to do is divide the number of counts by some period of time between checking that value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Dominoes, try asking about this sort of thing in the Learning Electronics Megathread - there are experts there who do this kind of poo poo for a living, and someone may well have experience with the flow sensor you’re using

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i'd generally set that up as an interrupt pin with a dead simple ISR to increment memory per pulse and worry about reading it out safely at thread time

as-is you're hoping that you catch both sides of every edge with a lot of cycles spent staring at, manipulating, and comparing the current time stamp, completely blocking out other users. that might be fine depending on the application

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. VS Code question. I'm working on a project using elusively VS Code (Due to a tip from Therm about SSHing from an editor). I've used this for one-off files for a while, and understand it's a popular editor, including for full projects. Using the official Rust extension.

Some Qs:
- How can I get it to go to a fn etc definition? Googling shows F12, but it's not working.
- How can I get it to highlight errors? Eg typos in var etc names, mutability issues, general mistakes.
- How can I get it to autocomplete things, like avail fns and methods, and fn args? (from my project, official libs, or third-party)

Are these just things I'm spoiled with from Jetbrains, or is there a way to make this work? The only thing clever it's doing for me is syntax highlighting. Or is it just made to be used as an extendable syntax-highlighted text editor, and some people prefer that?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
vscode is great and can get real smart about autocompletes and such, but it’s entirely dependent on the language plugin. It may be the Rust plugin isn’t that smart, or maybe there’s some config you’re missing? The plugin page would hopefully have documentation on it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That's probably it. Looks like it's having similar issues (scope limitations?) with Python too.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Your ssh comment means you’re doing remote development? I’m just getting it set up for C++ and it looks like some plugins can be installed on the remote host as well as locally. Worth a shot to see if maybe it adds functionality.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
I've just tried and the rust extension doesn't appear to work with the ssh one (at least without more configuration) - opening my project locally starts RLS and go to definition etc works, but opening the same project over SSH it doesn't.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Not sure if this belongs here, but I'll give it a shot:

I'm looking at developing an application using an off the shelf API (https://www.fitabase.com/resources/knowledge-base/fitabase-api/). Essentially, what I'd want to do is create a "simple" web app that allows you to enroll users, and then use some simple logic (obtainable from the API) to automatically generate daily e-mail reports. It's been years since I've programmed, but how complex is what I'm asking (essentially using an off the shelf API/some PHP)? Are there places that I could pay to have this done?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

@ Yippee - headless kinda-embedded. Still haven't diagnosed, since getting same behavior on local-only projects in both Py and Rust. Was leaning towards it being a natural limitation, but it sounds like I'm wrong.

Break break.

Web programming is a disaster; we need to burn it down and start fresh. Bad practices, accepted mediocrity. Too many layers, too complex, attempted solutions that address symptoms. -Shower thoughts inspired by quarantine and reading too much into a Jonathan Blow video.

We don't have infinite computing power. Power consumption, and real-time responsiveness are real concerns. Workplaces loading up computers with network/security process that make the simplest tasks(logging in, getting to email / a word processor) a 15 min job. The house of cards encouraging companies to hire hundreds or thousands of programmers to work on relatively simple projects will fall. Pair programming, scrumming, TDD, javascript, containers, layers upon layers, agile, meetings, frameworks, Medium articles. Blocking, wasting. No natural selection.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 27, 2020

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Terrible devs are terrible devs, at least in webdev the browser doesn’t usually crash and take things down with it. Generally a step up from desktop app dev for the end user, outside of anything targeting MSIE6-only weird stuff.

Just look at any recent Microsoft app, they still love synchronous processing that locks up the UI and can barely be canceled. Adobe in the same boat with a lot of their apps, Maya is amazingly bad for UX. They even know it and constantly mention it in the release docs: Maya controls and windows will not behave like you expect.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

MrMoo posted:

Just look at any recent Microsoft app, they still love synchronous processing that locks up the UI and can barely be canceled. Adobe in the same boat with a lot of their apps, Maya is amazingly bad for UX. They even know it and constantly mention it in the release docs: Maya controls and windows will not behave like you expect.

I feel compelled to mention that Maya has one of Autodesk's terrible UXs, not one of Adobe's terrible UXs.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

From what I've encountered of AutoDesk's UIs (Fusion360 and Eagle), the UI problems appear easily fixable. Could be a combo of not willing to break existing users' habit patterns, UI changes being low-priority, or it not being understood or acknowledged as a problem internally. For example, Eagle's schematic view isn't expecially complex compared to Fusion, but doing tasks like selecting the right item, or moving things feels painful. Ie it seems to take a certain combo of left and right clicks/holds in the right places. Or, when editing footprints, it provides parameters you can enter for lines like where they start, but not how big they are. There are a few small additions they could make that would make things go faster and more accurately. This includes the dimension tool.

I've built and manage a scheduling app for my work and some offshoots of it. Process is dudes see something they don't like or would be good to add (Often on the level of the AutoDesk UI issues we're talking about); shoot me an email or tell me in person it sucks; I push a patch and it's done.

I built a frontend web framework. Now more people are working on it, and I feel like I can't get anything done; folks insist on code reviews and PRing every commit. I have to write justifications for things I would have just committed before. And most of the changes recently have been internal refactors that don't change or add anything, so I stopped caring and lost track of the codebase, even though the API and feature set hasn't changed much since the start.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 27, 2020

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dominoes posted:

@ Yippee - headless kinda-embedded. Still haven't diagnosed, since getting same behavior on local-only projects in both Py and Rust. Was leaning towards it being a natural limitation, but it sounds like I'm wrong.

Break break.

Web programming is a disaster; we need to burn it down and start fresh. Bad practices, accepted mediocrity. Too many layers, too complex, attempted solutions that address symptoms. -Shower thoughts inspired by quarantine and reading too much into a Jonathan Blow video.

We don't have infinite computing power. Power consumption, and real-time responsiveness are real concerns. Workplaces loading up computers with network/security process that make the simplest tasks(logging in, getting to email / a word processor) a 15 min job. The house of cards encouraging companies to hire hundreds or thousands of programmers to work on relatively simple projects will fall. Pair programming, scrumming, TDD, javascript, containers, layers upon layers, agile, meetings, frameworks, Medium articles. Blocking, wasting. No natural selection.

This is the weirdest post I've ever seen you make.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

It's the quarantine.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
tbf pair programming can gently caress off

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

dupersaurus posted:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

Pair programming, scrumming, TDD, javascript, containers, layers upon layers, agile, meetings, frameworks, Medium articles. Blocking, wasting. No natural selection.

daft punk really went downhill, huh

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Well now you have a valid reason for not wanting it. :)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Suspicious Dish posted:

daft punk really went downhill, huh

Ever since homework, yeah

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Dominoes posted:

a Jonathan Blow video.

I get being desperate for stimulation but please don't self-harm

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
PluralSight is offering their content for free during April. I just signed up, no CC required. I've never taken any of their courses but I heard there are some gems in there.

https://www.pluralsight.com/offer/2020/free-april-month

I think their service is getting swamped, still waiting on my confirmation email.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you guys think the technology that is used behind Disney Worlds online systems and such?

When I worked there all their reservation systems were done via a visual basic app connected to a web server but I could never tell. Just intrigued by what powers something so big and massive.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

What do you guys think the technology that is used behind Disney Worlds online systems and such?

When I worked there all their reservation systems were done via a visual basic app connected to a web server but I could never tell. Just intrigued by what powers something so big and massive.

Probably AWS? Did you have a specific question in mind?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

huhu posted:

Probably AWS? Did you have a specific question in mind?

HP built it all, so I imagine it's all "self" hosted on HP equipment.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess my question is probably not programming related but I wondered how everything managed to be linked together through like atleasy six different types of front ends?

But knowing HP built it I can start researching. Thanks

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It all goes to a nice lady who types it in in a spreadsheet, and then calls the appropriate hotel to make sure they have it marked in their paper calendar of reservations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Probably something that made sense 5 years ago and has been kept running on duct tape, outsourced IT, and an army of contractors.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Suspicious Dish posted:

It all goes to a nice lady who types it in in a spreadsheet, and then calls the appropriate hotel to make sure they have it marked in their paper calendar of reservations.

IME, that is correct except that the hotel reservation is recorded in a different proprietary mess of a system.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Edit: hmmm I think since I am using .NET I will move this question to the .NET mega

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 6, 2020

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Volmarias posted:

Probably something that made sense 5 years ago and has been kept running on duct tape, outsourced IT, and an army of contractors.

This sounds a lot more like Universal than Disney. But then again they'd skimp and wouldn't have anywhere near an "army" of contractors, it'd just be Justin.

Disney's UX folks are no slouches. The backstory on the Magic Band is impressive, I can't find the great teardown that shows just how much engineering got baked into the 4 antennas in a compact, IP67 enclosure. Spinning up a warehouse into a UX lab is impressive. I knew a EE who spent a few months working on a test jig setup for one of the antennas.

The online reservations might not have that same high-touch engagement from principal imagineers. I'd start with a history of 'go.com' and figure out where things went from there.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome going to read that. To me even something like having the in park sensors to tell how long a wait for a ride is and then be able to beam that data to a mobile phone is amazing but I guess I'm easily amazed as all that takes I presume is a database :V

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

JawnV6 posted:

This sounds a lot more like Universal than Disney. But then again they'd skimp and wouldn't have anywhere near an "army" of contractors, it'd just be Justin.

Nope, I meant Disney.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Awesome going to read that. To me even something like having the in park sensors to tell how long a wait for a ride is and then be able to beam that data to a mobile phone is amazing but I guess I'm easily amazed as all that takes I presume is a database :V

FWIW, a lot (all?) of rides don't use any (exclusively?) sort of fancy sensors. Every so often they give a rider entering the line a card on a lanyard and ask that rider to give it to the cast member at the end of the line. That tells them how long the line wait is.

And then they fudge the numbers in the app to help control crowds. (or at least that's the opinion of people running sites like touringplans.com)

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Hope this is the right thread - here goes:

I have a mechanical system at work I'd like to automate. The automation would entail opening and closing various solenoid valves, and turning 120v pumps on and off(based on timers and/or pressure/temp readings). Based off a bit of googling, it seems an Arduino board might be appropriate for this. I am not a programmer. That said, about a decade ago I had a firm grasp of C++ and looking at Arduino code I feel like it's something I can learn. I know basically nothing about programming hardware though.

Should I teach myself how to use an Arduino to automate this system? If not, what should I use? If I should teach myself, where is a good starting place? I've looked at the official Arduino.cc website but it's so broad I'm not really sure where to begin. Any direction would be much appreciated.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Any microcontroller would do it, Arduino included. C is the standard language for this type of thing. I've been learning on an STM32Discovery, which includes the chip, a bunch of pins, and built-in LEDs to practice with.

Your microcontroller's interaction with your system, as you described it, would be output to a relay board like this, and input from sensors. This is a nice temp sensor. It uses something called a 1-wire input, which allows the controller to read the temp directly without using an ADC or calibration.

I offer no resources, since I learned using a Rust guide, which is a bit bleeding edge at this point.

You could also use a single-board computer like a Pi. It'll probably be about as easy to set up, but may be overkill in terms of price and power use.

Arduino, Pi, or other controller, you'll probably use a high-level Hardware Abstraction Level (HAL); going low-level means board/controller specifics that may not transfer well to other devices. If you use a HAL, your code will be more portable if you change device.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 9, 2020

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
How do I make cygwin run faster?

cygwin takes forever to do anything.

for example, on cygwin:
code:
/cygdrive/c/somedir

$ time make clean

real 3m31.1s
user 0m1.5s
sys  0m3.7s

$ time make clean

real 3m32.5s
user 0m1.5s
sys  0m3.2s

on windows subsystem for linux:
code:
/mnt/c/somedir

$ time make clean

real 0m0.6s
user 0m0.1s
sys  0m0.9s

$ time make clean

real 0m0.6s
user 0m0.1s
sys  0m0.7s

there's nothing to clean up for any of these cases, but I'm showing each command being used 2x to demonstrate that I'm mostly benchmarking how fast it parses the makefile, not how long it takes to delete stuff.
I've attempted using cygserver as recommended here: https://superuser.com/questions/877051/cygwin-from-windows-is-very-slow-laggy
but I feel like it made the problem even worse. Maybe I simply made a mistake installing it? idk.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
WSL? Do you actually want WSL? I think you want WSL.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

I've got to laugh at just reading your rant in the other thread about context and stuff and then you not noticing that this person specifically mentioned wsl in his post. Not that that doesn't happen to all of us it was just a funny juxtaposition to me.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

JawnV6 posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this but the reason my cygwin performance is bothering me is because I have to use cygwin at work, not wsl.

When we were deciding on what our toolchain would be, I assumed cygwin would be a better choice than wsl because wsl seemed like a bleeding-edge feature at the time. I didn't want to advocate for something I had only just heard about.

All I knew about Cygwin was that it's mainstream, and been around since forever. I figured in TYOL 2019, all the issues with it were probably ironed out.