Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The studios should be required to support the theatres. The theatres should get together and boycott any studio that doesn't help. Good luck making a billion dollars in VOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bring back the studio system.

But only so I can patronize a theater chain wholly owned by A24.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean if I'm the theater chains then yes, I would be upset, but was that movie expected to make much money anyway?

People take their kids to see these movies in droves, and their kids are all out of school now.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Theaters are closed buddy. Kids might be out of school but parents can't take them out.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Movie theaters are old media and are effectively obsolete with the advent of affordable 55" 4K TVs and streaming. They'll have a niche but in the same way vinyl records do: it'll be a novelty not a commodity. The chains that have a commitment to quality and providing a full fledged ~experience~ will stick around. The cheaper, crappy ones that people only go to because of contractual exclusivity? Good riddance.

There will probably be a resurgence after this thing blows over since everyone will be desperate to get the gently caress out of their houses, but once people have gotten a taste of the new distribution model it'll be hard to go back.

SCheeseman has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Mar 21, 2020

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Beachcomber posted:

The studios should be required to support the theatres. The theatres should get together and boycott any studio that doesn't help. Good luck making a billion dollars in VOD.

Source your quotes

Also lol at the idea of companies in Merrica, whose flag should just be a hand mashing the Defect button at light speed, "getting together to boycott" a source of money

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Beachcomber posted:

Good luck making a billion dollars in VOD.

I'm not sure any of the movies currently being routed to digital early were going to make a $billion regardless. The first Trolls movie made $346 million worldwide in 2016.

Meanwhile, the studios have definitely delayed their real moneymakers (No Time to Die, Mulan, F9, Black Widow, etc.) until later this year or even next year when the theaters are open again.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

SimplyCosmic posted:

Meanwhile, the studios have definitely delayed their real moneymakers (No Time to Die, Mulan, F9, Black Widow, etc.) until later this year or even next year when the theaters are open again.

This is my thinking behind Trolls 2 being the only movie to go straight to VOD. Fast 9 is a huge tentpole, and the delay could arguably make it even more anticipated, where Trolls was always going to be just good, delay or not. Plus if they had delayed Trolls 2 all that marketing and merchandise would’ve gone straight down the crapper.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I would go to the cinema more often if it wasn’t so expensive, and half the time I don’t care if it’s a new movie, but I guess the whole idea of a “special building with a big screen we all went to watch the same film” is going to be a story we’re going to tell our grandchildren

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jel Shaker posted:

I would go to the cinema more often if it wasn’t so expensive, and half the time I don’t care if it’s a new movie, but I guess the whole idea of a “special building with a big screen we all went to watch the same film” is going to be a story we’re going to tell our grandchildren

Hard to make new movies with social distancing. Animation renaissance?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Imagine the wasteland of the movie market in a few months.

Can’t shoot movies with the cast and crew quarantined.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Platystemon posted:

Imagine the wasteland of the movie market in a few months.

Can’t shoot movies with the cast and crew quarantined.

The whole entertainment industry is dead right now. My union's website is filled with CANCELED by all upcoming shows. Movies, TV shows, commercials, concerts, and theater are all on hold. The only new shows you're probably see for a while are digital ones that can be done via WFH, and talk shows with video calls.

A bunch of our concerts rescheduled for the 2nd half of year, but it still seems wildly optimistic to expect 10k+ people to pack into an arena in 3 or 4 months. Plus the looming economic problems means less people will want to drop the money to see a live show.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gann Jerrod posted:

This is my thinking behind Trolls 2 being the only movie to go straight to VOD. Fast 9 is a huge tentpole, and the delay could arguably make it even more anticipated, where Trolls was always going to be just good, delay or not. Plus if they had delayed Trolls 2 all that marketing and merchandise would’ve gone straight down the crapper.

Trolls 2 is also a kids movie. School is canceled almost everywhere, everything is closed, they're not supposed to be socializing or going out anywhere, and the kids are crammed in the same house as parents who are trying to work from home. If there was ever a time to release a movie on VOD, it's right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jel Shaker posted:

If you are near a theater that has a plan that lets you pay $10 a month or something like that for a ticket, it really cuts costs. Like the cinemark one seems kind of lame on its surface but the only months I don't actually pay for the price in savings are the months where I just see one movie in the month anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How many video games got delayed to 2020?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

I don’t think any major games have been delayed, the main issue has been getting games to people without killing them. Though if this goes on long enough, or there’s a resurgence later this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if the new consoles are delayed.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

Doubleposting, but Cirque du Soleil has fired 95% of its staff.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gann Jerrod posted:

I don’t think any major games have been delayed, the main issue has been getting games to people without killing them. Though if this goes on long enough, or there’s a resurgence later this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if the new consoles are delayed.

Consoles and physical games are going to suffer but for a lot of people this isn't going to change anything. The last time I bought a physical copy of a video game was over a decade ago. I just get practically everything on Steam now. Granted for me everything I actually want to play hits there anyway.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://www.dualshockers.com/gamestop-closed-pennsylvania-coronavirus/

Pennsylvania suspended Gamestop’s license to do business in the state. Gamestop immediately threw in the towel, closing all physical locations until further notice. Reggie has his work cut out for him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ariong posted:

https://www.dualshockers.com/gamestop-closed-pennsylvania-coronavirus/

Pennsylvania suspended Gamestop’s license to do business in the state. Gamestop immediately threw in the towel, closing all physical locations until further notice. Reggie has his work cut out for him.
The fact that they were even going to try and claim they were 'essential' retail just shows how desperate they are. I don't see how they survive the year. The company had already started closing a lot of locations (especially outside the US) at the beginning of the year.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

brugroffil posted:

Elon isn't actually going to build respirators, that's just him grabbing free publicity again

The evergreen elon musk game:

pentyne posted:

Is that an official company order directing labor staff to break the law? And publicized all over the internet? How is that not going to result in a massive amount of fines?

Here's a picture I took yesterday of a gamestop in liquidation to the point of selling the fixtures essential retail business wide open next door to a trader joes that has limited occupancy to 10 customers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

xarph posted:

The evergreen elon musk game:

Here's a picture I took yesterday of a gamestop in liquidation to the point of selling the fixtures essential retail business wide open next door to a trader joes that has limited occupancy to 10 customers.

After the slow death of the last 10 years as more and more people shifted to digital downloads, what finally killed the Gamestop was it's refusal to bend to state health mandates in a time of pandemic.

I feel like there is some lesson from this that will soon be widely applied to certain, large swathes of America.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Someone pointed out this makes more sense as Elon trying to get his business classified as essential.

Which makes far to much sense for Musk to do

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Someone pointed out this makes more sense as Elon trying to get his business classified as essential.

Which makes far to much sense for Musk to do

Probably the reason Amazon said they would prioritize medical equipment. Well that and the awful publicity they were getting before that by staying open.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still pretty sure Reggie joined Gamestop as the career equivalent of Cruel Melee.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Futterish/status/1241489536833683461?s=20

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

xarph posted:

We're neighbors!

How long was the line to get in? Were people maintaining social distance? Were they out of anything?

...did they have sumo fruit?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope EB Games isn't affected. They usually have pretty good deals on old used games and I like going there with my nephew :(

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I hope EB Games isn't affected. They usually have pretty good deals on old used games and I like going there with my nephew :(

They are pulling some of the scummy tactics too. My whole province is in a state of emergency but the location that is located at a strip mall in my city was allowing one person at a time in the store on Friday. There was a massive lineup that required the RCMP to break it up. The Store Manager tried to play the essential service card and got arrested. The employees gladly closed the store.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Honestly, I think this Gamestop stuff has finally got me to stop shopping there (assuming they even survive this all). I never really liked it much, but my boyfriend had a membership card, so I'd go in every now and then and get discounts on used games. And then I made good friends with a couple people who worked at my local Gamestop, so I'd just go in and hang out with them from time to time. I went in about two weeks ago to check up with how my friend was doing, and he was so upset. He's a dad with two young kids at home, and he was telling me how scared he was that they were going to get infected, on top of the fact that the company expected him to buy his own cleaning supplies. Thankfully he was already looking to quit and start his own company anyway, so hopefully this will be his push to do it. I'll still go in to talk to him, but I'm definitely not going to buy anything there, and as soon as he leaves I won't even stop by anymore. This whole thing has just been disgraceful.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still pretty sure Reggie joined Gamestop as the career equivalent of Cruel Melee.

Board seats are basically free money for almost no work. Why wouldn't he do it.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

My girlfriend and I used to go to EB Games because the Manager of the one in our mall is a friend of ours. After all of this poo poo, we are cancelling any pre-orders we have. As someone who is works in a Grocery Warehouse, they are defying the law to sell loving video games because they believe that they are essential services to people working remotely? Are you loving kidding me? EB Games got chewed out by the Mayor of Toronto on national television for their behavior. If they survive the pandemic, I can foresee them not lasting long after it is all said and done.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What's the deal with video games having razor thin margins? I understand the consoles are sold at cost but why the hell would video game stores put up with poo poo profit margins on the actual games? It costs a loving nickel to make those games. I know there's a lot of expenses in producing the game but why is that Gamestop's problem?

Keep in mind I pretty much despise Gamestop but it's like if a razor blade store agreed to make nothing on the razors but also nothing on the blades as well.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

What's the deal with video games having razor thin margins? I understand the consoles are sold at cost but why the hell would video game stores put up with poo poo profit margins on the actual games? It costs a loving nickel to make those games. I know there's a lot of expenses in producing the game but why is that Gamestop's problem?

Keep in mind I pretty much despise Gamestop but it's like if a razor blade store agreed to make nothing on the razors but also nothing on the blades as well.

Activision is selling the games to GameStop at MSRP, so there really isn't a markup. Retailers don't make money on the actual game's, they make money on magazine subscriptions and Funko Pops.

It's like how Disney forces movie theaters to kick back 80% of the take from first runs, the middleman gets squeezed until there's nothing left.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BigDave posted:

It's like how Disney forces movie theaters to kick back 80% of the take from first runs, the middleman gets squeezed until there's nothing left.
It's worse than this, and it's not just Disney. The split favors the studio up to 100% opening weekend, and it's only movies with long tails that the theaters make money on ticket sales at all, which is why so much focus by the studio is put on opening weekend.

Theaters pay to lease the movie from the distributors, don't make ticket money, and have pretty bonkers overhead.

When Phantom Menace came out, the studio got 110% of the box office. Theaters paid the studio for every ticket sold.

Remember this the next time you sneak in your own candy or wonder why popcorn and soda is costing you like 15 bucks. That's the only money the theater chains make.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Retail has thin margins on basically everything.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Remember this the next time you sneak in your own candy or wonder why popcorn and soda is costing you like 15 bucks. That's the only money the theater chains make.

Yup, theaters sell movie tickets at cost to get people in the door so they can sell concessions at an insane markup, and Gamestop sells games at cost to get people in the door to sell extended warranties, subscriptions, and used games, all at an insane markup. The problem is that while people will never stop wanting munchies while they watch a movie, people have soured on buying pretty much everything that makes Gamestop any real money. This is why modern Gamestops look more like generic geek collectible stores which happen to sell video games on the side.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I know nothing of video game retail, but any store that buys and sells used media makes several times more money on used products than new ones. GameStop is more than happy to sell the new Call of Duty at minimal markup because they’re going to offer you 1/3rd for an used copy and then sell it for 4/5th the MSRP.

I think there’s also the issue where even AAA titles get discounted fairly quickly, so the profit for video game publishers isn’t that great either. Hence loot boxes and DLC.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Especially video games (and prior to that music), since most of the time the physical box is completely unnecessary for the end user so the local shops have to compete against everything and every online marketplace in existence.

With movies some could argue that people still pay for the "theater experience", and stuff like gasoline or a cup of coffee you cannot realistically buy and get delivered online. And if you get the customer to the store, you are already winning even if you had to pay to get them to come; in many service stations "the best product" is not gasoline, but actually the cup of coffee and a donut/bagel/whatever -combo because everyone tries to get the customers by selling them as cheap as possible gas.

^^^^The number is mind-numbingly stupid, its something like 95% of all full-priced sales happen within 5 weeks of the release date. Video games have worse shelf life than some milk products.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Mar 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember when it was Babbages, Software ETC, Electronics Boutique and so on and none of them sold used games (only EB did but that was later). I just can't believe anybody would bother to open up a video game store with such poo poo margins on everything you sold.

In the days of SNES games literally costing $30 just to manufacture the games it's a bit more understandable but Jesus Christ those stores should have gotten a break when everything went to optical disks.