Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

If you delete all your save data and start over, will it also delete the Switch Online account you have connected to the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

RCarr posted:

Ok yea I can get down with that. I was worried you play for an hour and then there’s nothing useful you can do until the next day.
It still may be like that for you if you dislike repetitive tasks. You won't be able to finish this game at your own pace, it demands to be spread out. You may get burned out if you cram too much into your early sessions and miss out on later seasonal content. Definitely not a main game to focus all your attention on imo, works best as a cooldown between other games

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

shortspecialbus posted:

I've discovered that you can sort of expedite crafting if you mash A repeatedly while the item crafts. You do your crafting animation super fast, which looks rather hilarious.

Useful when making a million baits.

What do baits do?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Animal Crossing New Horizons:

Ruffian Price posted:

You won't be able to finish this game

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Annath posted:

What do baits do?

Automatically spawns a fish.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

The Silver Snail posted:

Yeah and you better hurry, my friend list is almost at the full 300. A lot of you are slacking on adding people after you put your name on you list, I had to do all the work! :mad:

Link to spreadsheet?

Friend code: SW-1329-4236-2707

Beans
Fruit: Peaches
Island: Booflund

Bina fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 22, 2020

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Can you manage friends from a computer? I'm playing online DnD at the moment, but I could surreptitiously add folks from the spreadsheet.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RCarr posted:

Ok yea I can get down with that. I was worried you play for an hour and then there’s nothing useful you can do until the next day.

there is some gating early, the first day is especially limited and you will probably run out of stuff after a couple of hours, but after that you start getting a lot of stuff you can endlessly do and mess around with

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Echophonic posted:

So I wished on a bunch of stars last night and ended up with a Pisces fragment. I know the star fragments are used for something with Celeste, but what's up with these Zodiac ones?
What's all this about stars and fragments? I played the poo poo out of New Leaf and I've never heard of any of this.

And is there a trick to tarantulas? I've been taken down by two so far and I haven't even come close to catching them. :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

And is there a trick to tarantulas? I've been taken down by two so far and I haven't even come close to catching them. :(

Move very slow. When they rear up at you, stop until they go back to normal. Then inch forward until they do it again. Rinse/repeat until you're within net range.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I made my own attempt at a Big Dogs T-shirt, just need some camo shorts and some aftermarket iphone chargers and I can open my own island Kmart

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

How do you wish on stars?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What's all this about stars and fragments? I played the poo poo out of New Leaf and I've never heard of any of this.

Some nights have falling stars, they make a little twinkling noise and you can see them move in the background. If you get one, fragments wash up on the beach the next day.

Waffle! posted:

How do you wish on stars?

Put your tool away, hit up on the right stick to look at the sky, then press A. You can sometimes get a few per drop.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

:eyepop:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Somehow the last fruit I still need is loving apples, the pleated khakis of fruit

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Echophonic posted:

Some nights have falling stars, they make a little twinkling noise and you can see them move in the background. If you get one, fragments wash up on the beach the next day.

Put your tool away, hit up on the right stick to look at the sky, then press A. You can sometimes get a few per drop.
Thanks! I had no idea that was a thing. Unfortunately I don't play much at night but I'll keep this in mind if I ever do.

explosivo posted:

Move very slow. When they rear up at you, stop until they go back to normal. Then inch forward until they do it again. Rinse/repeat until you're within net range.
Thanks! That doesn't sound so bad actually. Now I just gotta hope I see one.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

404notfound posted:

Somehow the last fruit I still need is loving apples, the pleated khakis of fruit

I have a handful left if you have a pear laying around?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
How does this game work with sharing amongst the family?

Can my wife, myself, and my 3.5 year old all have personalized characters and run around an island together? Does one profile have more powers than others?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is it bad etiquette to just crash someone's island because the door were open? It probably is. I'm horrible...

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

404notfound posted:

My native fruit is apples which I would totally offer but right now I'm too :effort: for multi-player.

Where the heck are people even seeing tarantulas? I haven't seen a single one. I did start the day by getting immediately stung by shaking one tree and then went on to do my store opening ceremony looking, well, not my best.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is it bad etiquette to just crash someone's island because the door were open? It probably is. I'm horrible...

If their island is open to all friends I don't see why not. If someone visited me while I had my island open I wouldn't give a dang, only thing is I don't know if I'd be much of an entertaining host.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man as awesome as this game is its depressing the online play hasn't advanced at all.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Annath posted:

What do baits do?

As someone else said, it spawns a fish. Useful if you're trying to catch a type of fish that spawns in a specific spot, like the rivers at the top of the mountains, the deltas, or the end of the pier.

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's only bad etiquette if you take stuff without asking, including fruit on trees. I usually have my gate open just so anyone can stop by and I usually offer whatever extra fruits I have in case they need them.

Don't take it for granted that stuff laying around on the ground is available for you to take unless you know for sure. I have a huge pile of stuff for the museum, comically sized at this point, and I surrounded it with signs asking people not to take it because sometimes convention is that anything laying around is fair game, or at least it was in New Leaf. It's best to just ask unless you saw a post in the thread about a specific island.

tl;dr: not bad form to join random goon islands, they wouldn't open it up if they didn't want visitors. It is bad form to take stuff without asking.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Don't take it for granted that stuff laying around on the ground is available for you to take unless you know for sure. I have a huge pile of stuff for the museum, comically sized at this point, and I surrounded it with signs asking people not to take it because sometimes convention is that anything laying around is fair game, or at least it was in New Leaf. It's best to just ask unless you saw a post in the thread about a specific island.

tl;dr: not bad form to join random goon islands, they wouldn't open it up if they didn't want visitors. It is bad form to take stuff without asking.

I started making a stockpile of extra stuff with a big FREE sign by it just in case people want it.
The only thing I don't like about leaving the gates open is the forced SOMEONE IS VISITING/LEAVING animations, I assume there's some secret loading or syncing because otherwise that is an unacceptable pain when a string of folks show up.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Man as awesome as this game is its depressing the online play hasn't advanced at all.

i was watching someone stream multiplayer for a few minutes and a majority of those minutes were everyone in the session getting to do nothing but watch the plane icons light up whenever someone new came in

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I started making a stockpile of extra stuff with a big FREE sign by it just in case people want it.
The only thing I don't like about leaving the gates open is the forced SOMEONE IS VISITING/LEAVING animations, I assume there's some secret loading or syncing because otherwise that is an unacceptable pain when a string of folks show up.

It's the worst when you have what looks to be a rare fish and then oops it's gone because of that. Once I had a fish on the actual line and lost it due to an animation. The "arriving" animation in particular is rather obnoxious.

Still though, I usually have my gates open and am happy to have visitors, even if we don't really interact because typing sucks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Still though, I usually have my gates open and am happy to have visitors, even if we don't really interact because typing sucks.

One reasonably decent option though, they added both text & voice chat in the Nintendo Online app. Typing there is far from perfect but way better than the onscreen keyboard if you're not quite ready to jump into voice chat with online folks.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Looks like the one town I was interested in joining was an absolute barren wasteland. If anyone is open and has extra fruits, let's be friends! I can bring some pears - I need oranges, cherries, and peaches.

My FC is 1155-3353-3726

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

One reasonably decent option though, they added both text & voice chat in the Nintendo Online app. Typing there is far from perfect but way better than the onscreen keyboard if you're not quite ready to jump into voice chat with online folks.

I'll have to look at that. I don't mind voice chat except I can't be hosed to wear a headset when I'm playing switch games so I'd just be using speakerphone or some poo poo which would probably drive everyone nuts.

Maybe someone can test it with me tomorrow and it won't be as bad as all that

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Captain Hygiene posted:

You can also use a USB keyboard if you have one.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

LODGE NORTH posted:

Looks like the one town I was interested in joining was an absolute barren wasteland. If anyone is open and has extra fruits, let's be friends! I can bring some pears - I need oranges, cherries, and peaches.

My FC is 1155-3353-3726

I have peaches! Dodo code 2CTB8

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

This is actually a great option unless (like me) your keyboard is normally plugged into your laptop, and the instant you start testing it in the Switch, you come up with all sorts of Animal Crossing questions you want to search, but can't easily reach the laptop keyboard.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

my assumption is they went overboard trying to stamp out desync errors and duping glitches and we ended up with this poo poo. It wouldn't be a Nintendo first party game without some horribly archaic multiplayer issue that has been solved by every other developer for the past decade.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I'm new to the series (well, I played a bit of the Wii version years ago... It didn't end well, was a whole thing), so forgive me if this is a question with an obvious answer.

While running around my island at night, occasionally I'll hear a faint twinkling sound, and I have yet to figure out why. I try digging or shaking trees nearby, nothing happens, and I can't see anything different about the area. What am I missing?

ETA: Ah, never mind. It's falling stars? And pressing A makes them glow. No idea what they do, but at least I know where the sound was coming from now.

Falstaff fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 22, 2020

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
My island is open at the mo if you want to visit.

Travel restrictions have been lifted for Isolation Island. I have peaches and am Southern hemisphere (so a day ahead too).

Add me if you like, in spreadsheet or 8276-4488-4594. Please bring some fruit if you can :)

(hopefully going to the home screen to add people doesn't screw things up for people on the island)

edit: be nice to Ozzie because I think he might be autistic Australian.

Kiwillian fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 22, 2020

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

I did this with five sticks

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Snake Maze posted:

:eyepop:

I'm gonna talk so much

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Is there something that you have to do to attract big and/or rare fish, or is it just luck?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Maple Leaf posted:

I did this with five sticks

You need time crimes for this right?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

You need time crimes for this right?

I got it by visiting an Anzac goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

What time is the turnip seller available?