Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I start crying when I see cute puppies so I'm not sure I'd have it in me to kill ducks. Chickens though, yeah. Done deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

maffew buildings posted:

I start crying when I see cute puppies so I'm not sure I'd have it in me to kill ducks. Chickens though, yeah. Done deal.

If you're gonna get ducks for meat, get drakes. The meat breed drakes are all giant assholes that you'll gladly slaughter when it's time.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Internet Wizard posted:

If you're gonna get ducks for meat, get drakes. The meat breed drakes are all giant assholes that you'll gladly slaughter when it's time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Based on indirect experience I know that Rouen ducks are dumb as hell and will manage to drown themselves out of sheer stupidity.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's hard to feel the pressure of being socially isolated when you already are every day :unsmith:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I found out recently that if you buy bulk rice that you won't go through very quickly, you'll want to freeze it for a day or two to kill the rice weevil eggs. Ask me about my daughter never eating rice again.

Somehow I've never bought a bag of rice with weevils. More strange, despite being on a submarine where we have 100lb bags of oatmeal and pallets of flour, never experienced weevils there either.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

It's hard to feel the pressure of being socially isolated when you already are every day :unsmith:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

:whatup:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Based on indirect experience I know that Rouen ducks are dumb as hell and will manage to drown themselves out of sheer stupidity.

I raised some Rouen for my holiday meals last year and they were pretty great, but I only kept them around for about 6 months so maybe they just didn't have the chance to try to die.

The drakes were the worst drakes I've had in my flock though. Alfred my Campbell by contrast was a sweetheart and a hero who died while fighting a delaying action against a raccoon taskforce.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Vasudus posted:

This is our Olympics, it's what we've been training for

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

An interesting and well-sourced article on takeout/grocery food safety and Coronavirus:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

This is very reassuring to read now that we’re starting to run out of the fresh food my wife and I picked up a couple weeks ago. Now the trick is to find a grocery that won’t be packed full of people. Our local Pacific Market is huge and barely has anybody in it on a good day, so I may stock up on rough-looking fruit and crab chips.

Might also say “gently caress it” and get a pizza and wings from the local place because I’ve already lost 10 pounds going through this.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 22, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
before we moved to Texas we had a ranch north of Seattle we had hundreds of birds.laying hens and geese,turkeys and ducks of several different breeds for meat and for eggs. we had a bunch of game birds, pigs, cows a couple dozen sheep. Lots of planted veg, we'd go out to the yard on Saturdays and Sundays and just get dinner.

Now I live right outside of Dallas-Fort Worth and I'm trying to do as much of that as I can on two and a half acres.

Ducks are great cause you can prep them for dinner without a knife. Same with rabbits.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 22, 2020

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fallom posted:

An interesting and well-sourced article on takeout/grocery food safety and Coronavirus:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

This is very reassuring to read now that we’re starting to run out of the fresh food my wife and I picked up a couple weeks ago. Now the trick is to find a grocery that won’t be packed full of people. Our local Pacific Market is huge and barely has anybody in it on a good day, so I may stock up on rough-looking fruit and crab chips.

Might also say “gently caress it” and get a pizza and wings from the local place because I’ve already lost 10 pounds going through this.

I just scheduled delivery from one of our local groceries and the earliest is two saturdays from now.. Love to get some takeout.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just keep checking and don't panic buy.

If you have veggies going bad, make minestrone.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fallom posted:

I'm hopeful that people are taking this more seriously then usual but I worked in restaurants of various quality for ten years and "Food handlers are specifically trained in proper safety and hygiene procedures. Federal and state-level regulations mandate everything: the location of handwashing sinks, the type of soap used in them, the frequency of work-surface sanitization, " lmao at that. They can mandate all the locations in the world but there isn't an inspector standing there at all times (or generally any) watching to make sure people follow the guidelines, and that includes your cooks, servers, bartenders, whatever.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sure but most kitchens do not have cats and dogs or kids lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'd say food service is probably better about washing their hands than the average american

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm hopeful that people are taking this more seriously then usual but I worked in restaurants of various quality for ten years and "Food handlers are specifically trained in proper safety and hygiene procedures. Federal and state-level regulations mandate everything: the location of handwashing sinks, the type of soap used in them, the frequency of work-surface sanitization, " lmao at that. They can mandate all the locations in the world but there isn't an inspector standing there at all times (or generally any) watching to make sure people follow the guidelines, and that includes your cooks, servers, bartenders, whatever.

It's unlikely that someone with covid-19 doing food prep would infect you, unless you are aspirating your food. If you're literally inhaling your food into your lungs you have other problems.

They'd probably infect you via breathing it on you within 6 feet or so though, so still not a good idea for someone who is ill to be doing food prep.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 22, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Like I was a minimum wage kid in food service into my 20s and most food people are trying to stay clean because we eat there too most days.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'd considered calling in an order and then cancelling it so I could eat before and I probably wouldn't do that if the coworkers were egregiously unclean

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hey I hope you guys are right, I'm just saying I've worked anything from dishwasher to bartender in places from PF Changs to Clydes of Columbia (for the maryland people) and just saying what I've seen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

M_Gargantua posted:

Somehow I've never bought a bag of rice with weevils. More strange, despite being on a submarine where we have 100lb bags of oatmeal and pallets of flour, never experienced weevils there either.

I've never had the rice weevils either. I have had to purge my pantry of all grain products thanks to a bag of rice with pantry moths, though. Now everything gets put in glass jars.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Suicide Watch posted:

In the Iraq invasion in March 2003, were all of the 100K+ troops issued NBC suits? If not, are there rough estimates on how many were issued? Seems like DoD-grade PPE is the only stuff made in the US still

Yes we all had full MOPP. I didn't have plates for my vest, or ammo that wasn't tracers, but we all had full MOPP.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

or ammo that wasn't tracers,

You were going to fight pink floyd?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Feels kinda weird now looking at this MOPP suit ECRC gave me for my mobilization back in January.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

You were going to fight pink floyd?

I flew over as a replacement, I landed in Kuwait a day or two before the invasion started. To say that we got equipped with whatever was still laying around is accurate. I had an M16A2 with iron sights but at least I got to zero it. At first all they had for us was tracers, but eventually they gave us British ammo would gently caress up our weapons because of the barrel twist, which was nice.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I flew over as a replacement, I landed in Kuwait a day or two before the invasion started. To say that we got equipped with whatever was still laying around is accurate. I had an M16A2 with iron sights but at least I got to zero it. At first all they had for us was tracers, but eventually they gave us British ammo would gently caress up our weapons because of the barrel twist, which was nice.

Who told you that because lol that's impossible

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Internet Wizard posted:

Who told you that because lol that's impossible

It's amazing the amount of people in the military that know gently caress all about the weapons they are carrying. And then repeat some fully horrendous BS as fact.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Barrel twist and bullet weight matter in accuracy at longer distances. Not enough to foul your shot terribly at 100m, but definitely notable at 400m.

The entire time I was a SAW gunner, no one told me about changing the gas setting to fire from a magazine. The "class" I got on it was basically, "here ya go and sign here."

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Barrel twist is irrelevant in this context. British ammo just forced you to clean your rifle more.

I spent 90% of my deployment staring at a 50 cal and I can’t really tell you poo poo about it.

The 50 cal can tear you open just by the round being near you.

True? False? Who gives a poo poo?

vvv I edited that out because I realized I was being over sensitive.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 22, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Nobody is being a dick to anybody except whoever told Bulky that fairy tale.

Way too many people in the military willing to just spread myths around without asking questions or thinking about them when they should know better.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I had an M16A2 with iron sights but at least I got to zero it.

ah, the national guard deployment kit

thats what i had when i went in 04

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
poo poo we had A2s as an active duty logistics unit from Campbell in '04/05.

Woofer posted:

The 50 cal can tear you open just by the round being near you.

True? False? Who gives a poo poo?

False. I think even mythbusters did a bit on it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The only way it fucks you up by being near you is if you’re the dumb gently caress who tried to use a .50cal round as a hammer and it went off in his hand when he hit the primer end on whatever he was trying to do. Lost 3 fingers and most of his hand.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

If I recall correctly, they said it would just jam a lot, not that shooting it was dangerous.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ah, the national guard deployment kit

thats what i had when i went in 04

I was in 3rd ID lol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I was in 3rd ID lol

i was attached to 3/10 FA for a while

lol

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i was attached to 3/10 FA for a while

lol

:cheers: Were you in the Florida unit with the astronaut-dude patch?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

If I recall correctly, they said it would just jam a lot, not that shooting it was dangerous.

Gonna go gun spurg for a second and some of memory might be wrong on this. But IIRC

Barrel twist matters for the weight of the round. Different speeds of twist will be more accurate with certain weights of ammunition. British rifles of that era were designed to use the M193 55grain bullet, which was developed for the M-16/M-16A1 and their 1:11 barrel twist. While the M-16A2/A4/M-4 are optimized to use the slightly heavier 62 grain SS109 with their 1:7 Barrel twist. If British ammo had dirtier powder it might make you clean your rifle more, and at longer ranges the bullet may lose accuracy a little earlier but that is about all it would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I mean, people still think it is a war crime to shoot a .50 cal at infantry unless you "aim at their canteens" so I'm not surprised about the British ammo myth.