Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

If there is stuff that you must simply keep on the PC then remove the HDD, swap in a fresh one, reinstall Windows and then mount the old one to a Linux or something to pull files off.

Also make sure you go through your mum's accounts and remove any app access (That poo poo where an app gets issued a token for perm access to the account). My grandma's FB account got compromised a while ago through one of those. Changing passwords and enabling MFA didn't do poo poo because the mechanism popping the account had access via the token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
Alright, thanks guys. Now that I finally sat and powered it up I see I’m in over my with the amount of poo poo installed that’s visible, let alone what I can’t just see with my eyes. My biggest concern is her thousands of poems :(

Ill probably offload them onto a usb drive that I never plan on using and clearly label as compromised, just in case, then I’ll follow your advice.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tophet posted:

Alright, thanks guys. Now that I finally sat and powered it up I see I’m in over my with the amount of poo poo installed that’s visible, let alone what I can’t just see with my eyes. My biggest concern is her thousands of poems :(

Ill probably offload them onto a usb drive that I never plan on using and clearly label as compromised, just in case, then I’ll follow your advice.

Offload to USB, load in Linux, convert to straight text.

Save that poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The important thing here being to not connect the potentially infected drive to the newly reinstalled system because then you'll potentially just undo everything. Attaching the drive to a Linux system is usually good as it's very unlikely that whatever is on it would be able to pop a Linux system.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

You can do one better. Just make a USB boot drive with linux universal usb installer, and pick a distro that comes with a lot of drivers.

I have a knoppix thumbdrive for emergencies, and its good to just get a system up and running, usually has wi-fi drivers on hand, and reads NTSF natively.

Sometimes you need to change the boot order to prioritize usb above hdd or cdrom, especially on older systems.

You can boot the same system into linux, save/convert the poems (or any other relevant docs), or even do a drive clone if you really need a backup of the infected OS, before you flatten the windows install.

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
Very cool, thank you all for the help.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Is KeePass 2.x still the best non-cloud password manager? Also, is it sane to only put it on my phone and manually type my passwords into my desktop, or should I just have it on both?

I just found out that I have to change a bunch of my passwords (again) so if it's smart to switch (or install the desktop KeePass client) then now is the time.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Pretty much. It also has universal device/OS support. I like KeepassXC.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Plastik posted:

Also, is it sane to only put it on my phone and manually type my passwords into my desktop

What's your reasoning here?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Rufus Ping posted:

What's your reasoning here?

That someone can't compromise my computer and have access to both my password database and a browser that is trusted on all of my accounts. At least if they got my phone I'd still have security questions to stop them (with nonsense answers) because I only log into my bank account through Private Browsing on my mobile device.

Obviously any platform with real 2fa obviate this, but my credit union for example has not figured this out in a reliable way.

E: I mean, I could log into my bank accounts with Private Browsing on my desktop I guess. Or I could just have faith in KeePass or the fact that I'm not a big enough fish for anyone to try that hard. I don't know, I've had accounts compromised before. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 27, 2020

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Plastik posted:

Is KeePass 2.x still the best non-cloud password manager? Also, is it sane to only put it on my phone and manually type my passwords into my desktop, or should I just have it on both?

I just found out that I have to change a bunch of my passwords (again) so if it's smart to switch (or install the desktop KeePass client) then now is the time.

Question about Keepass: what is up with the Keepass Firefox plugin? A while back it changed its name to 'Kee' or something and it started advertising about putting your passwords in the Kee cloud platform instead of in KeePass.

Have they gone evil?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Plastik posted:

That someone can't compromise my computer and have access to both my password database and a browser that is trusted on all of my accounts. At least if they got my phone I'd still have security questions to stop them (with nonsense answers) because I only log into my bank account through Private Browsing on my mobile device.

Obviously any platform with real 2fa obviate this, but my credit union for example has not figured this out in a reliable way.

E: I mean, I could log into my bank accounts with Private Browsing on my desktop I guess. Or I could just have faith in KeePass or the fact that I'm not a big enough fish for anyone to try that hard. I don't know, I've had accounts compromised before. Maybe I'm paranoid.

your KeePass vault is secured with a (hopefully strong) password. Just manually copy/paste, or better yet use the autotype function(this applies on your phone too) and you should be good.

If they get your vault, all the have is an encrypted data blob without the keys to decrypt it. If they can, then you were screwed anyway

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Question about Keepass: what is up with the Keepass Firefox plugin? A while back it changed its name to 'Kee' or something and it started advertising about putting your passwords in the Kee cloud platform instead of in KeePass.

Have they gone evil?
These aren't related, not sure how you got that, other than name similarity.
With keepass, use PassIfox and KeepassHTTP

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Khablam posted:

These aren't related, not sure how you got that, other than name similarity.
With keepass, use PassIfox and KeepassHTTP

They are very much related, because Kee is a direct successor to the Keefox addon that did the same thing as the two addons you mentioned.
So everyone who used Keefox got updated to Kee and can still use it with a local database (but they're encouraging you to buy their cloud thing instead)
It's what got me to switch to KeepassXC instead of looking for another addon for the original Keepass

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of keepass, i'm using a bunch of triggers in keepass to sync my database to a ssh server, is this doable with keepassxc yet? i wanna get rid of the lovely mono app, but when i last checked keepassxc hasn't supported that on windows yet.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Truga posted:

speaking of keepass, i'm using a bunch of triggers in keepass to sync my database to a ssh server, is this doable with keepassxc yet? i wanna get rid of the lovely mono app, but when i last checked keepassxc hasn't supported that on windows yet.

I love keepass and use the iOS and windows app: I sync it using one drive manually. I also keep the version I use in windows on a thumb drive for extra portability. I don’t trust browser plugins because I’m distrustful. I also don’t know of a good MacOS version though... is there a recent one that works on MacOS?

The encryption algo and one of the windows clients is open source right? I really hope they aren’t becoming evil :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tamba posted:

They are very much related, because Kee is a direct successor to the Keefox addon that did the same thing as the two addons you mentioned.
In fact, Kee is still listed on the official Keepass plugin page.

quote:

So everyone who used Keefox got updated to Kee and can still use it with a local database (but they're encouraging you to buy their cloud thing instead)
It's what got me to switch to KeepassXC instead of looking for another addon for the original Keepass

Thanks! I didn't know about KeepassXC and just switched.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

namlosh posted:

I love keepass and use the iOS and windows app: I sync it using one drive manually. I also keep the version I use in windows on a thumb drive for extra portability. I don’t trust browser plugins because I’m distrustful. I also don’t know of a good MacOS version though... is there a recent one that works on MacOS?

The encryption algo and one of the windows clients is open source right? I really hope they aren’t becoming evil :(

I use MacPass on MacOS, looks and works very similar to the Windows version. All of the core KeepAss code is open source, it's just the 3rd party ports that aren't all open source. On my iPhone I use MiniKeePass, and iPad is KeePassium because for some reason MiniKeePass isn't available in my region any more. AFAIK MiniKeePass is the only one for iOS that's completely ad-free and doesn't have any upsells.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

beuges posted:

I use MacPass on MacOS, looks and works very similar to the Windows version. All of the core KeepAss code is open source, it's just the 3rd party ports that aren't all open source. On my iPhone I use MiniKeePass, and iPad is KeePassium because for some reason MiniKeePass isn't available in my region any more. AFAIK MiniKeePass is the only one for iOS that's completely ad-free and doesn't have any upsells.

MacPass! Thanks! I’ll look for it.

That’s what I use as well on my phone, you made me remember: MiniKeePass on iOS

Seriously, set up your .kdbx file to sync on a OneDrive account or something and it’s easy to have your passwords anywhere. And once the app is open, it’s just a couple of clicks to copy and paste username and password to other apps and websites. I never found the small extra convenience of a browser plugin to be worth the extra worry.

My wife calls me for any of our passwords now... she knows how to get them herself if needs be, but I don’t mind :)

Eikre
May 2, 2009
If you are going to put your keepass database in OneDrive, set Keepass to work out of a local non-synced copy and set a macro to mirror it to the synced copy when you actually make a modification.

OneDrive has trouble working around the database being in use, which it is even when keepass is locked, and it'll gently caress up and fail to sync other files or duplicate the database a bunch of times.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Eikre posted:

If you are going to put your keepass database in OneDrive, set Keepass to work out of a local non-synced copy and set a macro to mirror it to the synced copy when you actually make a modification.

OneDrive has trouble working around the database being in use, which it is even when keepass is locked, and it'll gently caress up and fail to sync other files or duplicate the database a bunch of times.

KeePass.db
KeePass.db-COMPUTERNAME
KeePass.db-COMPUTERNAME(1)
KeePass.db-COMPUTERNAME(2)
KeePass.db-COMPUTERNAME(3)
KeePass.db-COMPUTERNAME(4)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I thought a bunch of people in this thread switched to Bitwarden? I did from Keepass and it’s really great.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I did, and I agree that it's way more user-friendly.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thirding Bitwarden, the extensive and phone app are really good.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Does the OP's section about antivirus products apply to ClamAV on Linux?

Is it at all useful to install ClamAV on a Linux system?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Does the OP's section about antivirus products apply to ClamAV on Linux?

Is it at all useful to install ClamAV on a Linux system?

Yes the OP applies to ClamAV because ClamAV is an antivirus product.

I personally don't see any benefit to installing ClamAV on Linux systems beyond box-ticking asinine compliance reports.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have a SIM card/phone related security question. My wife dropped her phone in our neighborhood and it got found by a woman who lives nearby. She apparently gave it to her husband who pulled the SIM card and got my wife's information, after which he called verizon who called me. I have the phone back with the SIM card, but my issue is that I'm way too ignorant and polluted with movies to know what he could/couldn't have done with the card while he had it out.

My question is A) could he have duplicated the SIM card or do some other technowizardry to be able to make calls/receive texts using my wife's number despite me having the original phone and SIM in hand? I know it's her SIM because the phone is working properly with her phone number. B) If he could theoretically do some shady poo poo, what are my protection options? New SIM? New phone? New number?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Theoretically, new everything. Realistically he probably just took it out to eyeball the number printed on the card so the people at Verizon would know whose card (and phone) it was.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Geemer posted:

Theoretically, new everything. Realistically he probably just took it out to eyeball the number printed on the card so the people at Verizon would know whose card (and phone) it was.

That’s what I’m thinking, since he had to relay through Verizon. I happened to be near our neighborhood Verizon store so I popped in and they told me there’s no way he could have duplicated the card and have it work in a different device, so I’m feeling a bit better about it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sephiRoth IRA posted:

That’s what I’m thinking, since he had to relay through Verizon. I happened to be near our neighborhood Verizon store so I popped in and they told me there’s no way he could have duplicated the card and have it work in a different device, so I’m feeling a bit better about it.

Hey, while we have you could you please link the comic your avatar is from?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hey, while we have you could you please link the comic your avatar is from?

It came up in the comics pyf thread and was awesome- I went and googled it, and apparently it’s a Vice.com artist? Which kinda dings it, but here it is:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/ppzpn8/ryan-comic-460-v17n6

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I have a SIM card/phone related security question. My wife dropped her phone in our neighborhood and it got found by a woman who lives nearby. She apparently gave it to her husband who pulled the SIM card and got my wife's information, after which he called verizon who called me. I have the phone back with the SIM card, but my issue is that I'm way too ignorant and polluted with movies to know what he could/couldn't have done with the card while he had it out.

My question is A) could he have duplicated the SIM card or do some other technowizardry to be able to make calls/receive texts using my wife's number despite me having the original phone and SIM in hand? I know it's her SIM because the phone is working properly with her phone number. B) If he could theoretically do some shady poo poo, what are my protection options? New SIM? New phone? New number?

If you were to fully duplicate a SIM I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work because a network won't allow 2 SIMs with exactly the same number to be connected at once (not just the phone number but also the SIM's internal serial number). This would prob trigger some fraud detection on Verizon's end, they'd block both cards, contact you to ask what's up, and after you explain it, they'll just send you a replacement SIM card.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 28, 2020

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I have an old one tera drive lying around with vista on it and I want to encrypt it.
Veracrypt fails to install. I also tried installing linux mint alongside it to see if I could encrypt the whole drive, but that was no good either.
I am willing to spend upto 0 dollars on this.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Is it only going to be used with Windows? If so then BitLocker is perfectly fine.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Isn't bitlocker only for professional and enterprise on vista? I have home premium. I know there are lots of ways around the problem, but I'd like to keep the drive as is, frozen in time, if possible.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

uguu posted:

Isn't bitlocker only for professional and enterprise on vista? I have home premium. I know there are lots of ways around the problem, but I'd like to keep the drive as is, frozen in time, if possible.

Wait why are we talking about Vista?

Assuming a mistype IIRC the TPM-backed version is only available on Pro or Enterprise but but the password-based "BitLocker To Go" is available on all versions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

uguu posted:

Can you image it onto some other media and encrypt that drive with your package of choice?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Midjack posted:

Can you image it onto some other media and encrypt that drive with your package of choice?

Unofrtunately not, it is my biggest drive.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Wait why are we talking about Vista?

Assuming a mistype IIRC the TPM-backed version is only available on Pro or Enterprise but but the password-based "BitLocker To Go" is available on all versions.

Cause it has vista installed on it.
I'll try adding a windows 10 drive and then using bitlocker to go on the vista drive.
Thanks for the tip!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pretty sure vista won’t boot if you do that.

May not be a concern, but something to be aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I'm certain if it's a boot volume you can't use BitLocker To Go. And if it's not on Win10 I think it uses some algo that's not backwards compatible.

Maybe if you actually told us what you are trying to achieve then we can give good recommendations?